Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shageletic posted:

Um...have you been to India my man? Something something marvel.

I think the Deadpool trailer is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20bpjtCbCz0

It'll be hilarious if this was the only action set piece in the movie again.

Domino looks great and I can see why test audiences were probably clamoring for more of her. Gonna enjoy the spin-off in a year or two. Wonder if they cut the action sequence that killed her stunt double.

Rest of the trailer looks solid. Cable is sufficiently...Cable. Interesting that they went with full on Liefield 90's, obnoxious helmet/codpiece/pauldrons Shatterstar despite his recent toned down costume but it makes sense.

Only thing that looks dubious is Ryan Reynold's schtick wearing thin but if this one is as tightly paced as the first then it should still be an entertaining flick.

Edit: That's Will Smith flying the helicopter at the start of the trailer, right? It sounds JUST like him.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

between crazy rich asians and oceans 8 hollywood is really trying to get me to like awkwafina's "asian person doing aave" shtick. it isn't working

Same, and I honestly don't know why she's becoming a thing now anyway. Her only biggish song was like three years ago? The only people I know that even care about her music are coastal urban hypebeasts.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hello this movie is actually going to be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4

I want this movie to be good and do well but this trailer is bad. The most interesting bit is the Lovecraftian fish monster chase/fight whatever and the big undersea battle. Black Manta and his crew chasing Aquaman and Mera through the street looks like an upgraded cut scene from Prince of Persia. I get that they need to ground the story and get the origin out of the way but why frontload a 5 minute trailer with it? Very frugal of DC to re-use Daenarys' wig for Nicole Kidman's character.

Jason Momoa and Mera don't have very good chemistry, but he looks like he's having fun at least.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Is it just me or is it kinda weird that The Rock is playing a black folk story hero.

It's weird. The Rock has very deliberately kept his Black heritage at arms length in favor of embracing a racially ambiguous, all-American, straight talking leading man persona. He almost never talks about his father beyond platitudes, doesn't identify as Black iirc, and up until this year had never had a leading female costar/love interest who was Black. It's definitely something that gets the side eye in the community. Same for Vin Diesel.

So people have been discussing it for that reason and also for the fact that there are plenty of dark skinned actors who could do the role justice (more of a colorism discussion but I digress), but obviously don't have the star power of the Rock.

Honestly the John Henry story is hosed up and a bold choice for any kind of folktale adaptation, even if they will likely soften the edges since this is for kids/families.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ammanas posted:

id be genuinely amazed if it doesnt make more than that. an absolute trash Beauty was 1.4 right? lion king will set all time records

It has Beyonce in it. This movie is going to make ridiculous amounts of money (in America at least).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Was the only reason they rebooted Hellboy instead of letting Del Toro do #3 was that the studio was all WE WANT HELLBOY IN 2.35 and Del Toro was all I WILL DIE BEFORE I SHOOT SCOPE, because it's literally the only reason I can imagine this existing.

...I'm in for Milla Jovovich. :heysexy:

Mike Mignola apparently can't stand GDT and really dislikes his take on the material. That, combined with the middling financial returns on the first two, pretty much sank the potential of a third, despite GDT and Perlman both pushing for it pretty hard.

The trailer for the new movie is bad. Hellboy mixing up with some Olde English magic poo poo is pretty on point as far as the flavor goes, but Harbour sounds terrible, the makeup looks like they got it second hand from that late 80's Beauty and the Beast, and the tone for that trailer was absolutely garbage.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Slutitution posted:

Do you know how many spiderman movies have been made in the last 20 years? Why are people still cumming in their pants for this poo poo?

Spider-man is up there with Superman and Batman as iconic superheroes. He's definitely among the more relateable. Spider-man stories don't have to have some epic scale, it's just a guy in over his head most of the time trying to figure out how to make things right as best he can, hopefully without loving up his own life too bad, oh and he can stick to walls and stuff. And the moral of the story in most Spider-man stuff is that you don't need special powers to make a difference, you just have to be willing to keep trying. What's not to like?

I have fond memories of the Raimi movies as a kid but I don't know how well they hold up except for 2 and have no real desire to revisit them. The Andrew Garfield Spider-movies had potential, but are painfully mediocre and a waste of otherwise fine casts. Homecoming was great. Spider-verse is a top 3 superhero movie of all time. If Sony can keep from meddling too much, these movies are a licence to print money, so you might as well get used to getting a new one every other year.

Far from Home looks interesting - the elemental creatures have an Harryhausen vibe to me, with much better effects obviously. Mysterio looks cool, although his smoky entrance thing reminds me of the Auror effects from Harry Potter. I'm pretty sure they're going to pull some bait and switch with Fury in the movie (probably Mysterio faking out Peter in order to coerce him into something, but maybe we'll get an LMD finally), but it looks entertaining enough overall.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Just realized that Tom Holland is doing a great RDJ impression with the little "what just happened here?" bit at the start of the trailer.

Also his suitcase says "BFP" on the latch. Nice detail.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Benjamin Franklin Parker.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Well, the new Hellboy trailer dropped. Still doesn't feel like Hellboy. Still doesn't seem like a horror take on the material. Still looks pretty dreadful.

Elsewhere someone said it looks like the Resident Evil movies and I thought that sounded about right.

Am I crazy or is Harbour's dialogue barely comprehensible unless he's yelling? Maybe it's just the music or background noise in the trailer but I could hardly make out most of what he said, to the point where I had to rewind the trailer a couple times. I agree that the olde English macabre/eldritch monster design looks cool but other than that, meh. I'm sure Ian McShane appreciates the check.

Caeks posted:

Jesus Christ - Did the Phoenix director really come out and say "We spoiled the death of a major character in the trailer because we wanted show this is a different movie than the other X-Men films".

Christ.

Well he couldn't very well say "Jennifer Lawrence is too big of a star for us to force to put in a make-up chair 8 hours a day, so this was the compromise".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

This looks great but I especially like how they're really pulling in international martial art influences. Redoing the motorcycle fight from the Villainess but on a larger scale, getting two of the most badass fighters from the Raid movies, and Tiger Chen is supposed to be in there too. The rare trilogy closer that looks like it'll live up to the hype.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It has Beyonce in it, singing at least one brand new song and covering one of the more popular songs from the original, in addition to a bunch of other very popular cross genre entertainers in the cast.

It's going to make a billion dollars, weird photorealism be damned.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

There is no action that Disney takes that isn't meant to gently caress around with copyright law in their favor.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Looks like hanging out with The Family thought these guys a thing or two. Namely about family and also NOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7PAyCDwEg

Didn't bother catching the last F&F movie but I'll be seeing this one in the theater. It's so perfectly over the top. The Samoa probably should've been held back but it sold me 100%. Looks like they also gave Idris Elba enough cool poo poo to do to make him seem like someone who can keep up with both protagonists, so that'll be cool to see.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, if you read the Chris McQuarrie interviews for Fallout where he talks about Tom's process, you really understand how he does all these crazy things. Hearing how he got his helicopter pilot's license in half the time as anyone else is nuts—he exhausted two 8-hour shifts of instructors per day like it was nothing.

I don't think people appreciate how insane this is. Cruise must be a goddamn machine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Something about the fight choreography is...stilted? More like he's striking poses than fighting. Still, looks pretty cool, probably worth checking out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

davidspackage posted:

A King movie/TV show revival has been a long time coming. The tech to bring his books to the screen is there and horror is much more popular than it was.

We haven't even scratched the surface of peak SK saturation. Just wait until he dies in a couple years. How many short stories of his are still unadapted or poorly adapted long enough ago to make the cut and get turned into a movie or maybe something for an anthology series? Low hundreds?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The teaser reel / movie reveal is still the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxMhlNC3ss

The crowd reaction was so good

And the first trailer, in IMAX, was just incredible. The music beat/glitch that hits with the title reveal is one of my favorite movie theater experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

This movie still looks so good, how is it nearly a decade old.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

James Marsden has had a weird career, man.

Looks decent. The new design is so much better looking and in line with the aesthetic of the series.

https://twitter.com/TAHK0/status/1194227675734298626?s=19

I'm almost inclined to believe the conspiracy theory that they released the bad design first just to drum up publicity for the movie. Either way, I hope all the animators got compensated decently for the work it took to overhaul that.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I'm pretty meh on the first WW, it was good but nothing spectacular. This looks :krad:. Might even be worth seeing in theaters.

Also Pedro Pascal's agent deserves an award or a raise or something, dude just cannot miss since he broke out on GoT.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I love Henry Cavill, but I can't bring myself to care about this show. I think maybe because I never played the games. I hope other people care, because I'm not sure how many hits this man's career can take.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not even sure the game fans tuning in will meet Netflix's expectations for series these days.

Cavill seems like a very talented, if not too smart, guy, it's really baffling that his career hasn't taken off.

Edit: Isn't he British? Why is he doing his American accent in that reading video?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

McSpanky posted:

God damnit, when is Namor getting out of studio rights limbo and when will Mark Strong start trying out speedos for the role

Never, because that role is going to Daniel Dae Kim.

That Black Widow movie looks more boring than watching paint dry I hope Rachel Weisz got a nice check out of it at least

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mulan adaptation looks pretty dope actually.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Looks okay but Anthony Mackie is so boring. I wish they had just let Will Yun Lee play Kovacs.

Ego-bot posted:

It looks like they're dropping all or most of book 2 and moving on to the third one. A lot cheaper may be a reason.

Money for sure, and the fact that the second book is basically the Expanse-lite. I wonder where they go if we get a season 3.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

Candyman is legit a stone cold classic and that trailer looks like hot garbage.

:agreed: Best thing about a Candyman remake is that Tony Todd is going to get a check.

I don't understand why Peele keeps getting to do whatever he wants, Get Out and Us were both pretty mediocre, his reboot of the Twilight Zone bombed, and Hunters is just straight up bad.

Not saying the dude doesn't have talent but I wish he would just go away for a while.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 29, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

How is expressing an opinion pretentious? I didn't say that my view was explicitly more correct than anyone else's nor did I put down anyone else's enjoyment of his non-comedy stuff. I just said that his continuing status as high level tastemaker guy was baffling to me as someone who doesn't really enjoy his work. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

In any case yes I do understand how numbers work so as long as his movies keep making money yes he will continue to be a thing despite his output being uneven at best or mediocre and derivative at worst, depending on where you're standing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U

Black widow final trailer

I'm not usually that guy, but when Florence Pugh's character does her weird neck-grab jump at 1.41, and her opponent somehow manages to fall in the opposite direction she's pulling him it looks like some Buffy the vampire slayer level of action choreography.

This looks bland as hell, also that title sequence is just ugly. That's the most iconic thing they could think of for this character - walking down a hallway? Also is it me or are they using the de-aging CGI on William Hurt? He looks.... weird.

Taskmaster doing all the MCU fight choreography greatest hits might be entertaining but not enough to get me to buy a ticket.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 9, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That actually looks not bad, in a very generic cape flick kind of way. The Demon Bear and Magik look great if nothing else.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

If nothing else, it produced a pretty good reaction gif.

Why does Alex's fake body look so weird but Keanu's look like it could actually be him?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

man nurse posted:

Yeah, I thought this, too. Keanu's Ted doesn't seem to have the goofy and happy-go-lucky element, and he looks uncomfortable to be there in most of the scenes in the trailer. Alex is still bang on.

Hopefully it was just a poor selection of scenes for the trailer.

I think it's that, plus the effect of being able to see Keanu age over the years whereas no one has given Alex Winter a thought outside of "hey i hear they're making another Bill & Ted movie". Going back and watching the trailer Keanu hits the mark of classic Ted in that scene where they talk to their evil prison selves, but he still just sounds old.

I do wonder genuinely how this movie is going to do. Bill & Ted doesn't seem too high on the nostalgia/retro culture meter for Gen Z (or even Millenials) and I have no idea how much Gen X or older people still care about this.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The first Kingsman movie was a fun little thing that came out of nowhere and did well and you're happy to catch parts of it on cable randomly. The second one was a fairly sloppy misfire that relied too much on weird character tics, needless twists, and overwrought action senquences because they learned the wrong lessons from the success of the first. Also it had some stuff in there that was just grossly misogynistic and mean to women - I can't remember the last time I cringed so hard in a movie as the condom tracking device implementation scene. Edgerton was smart to move away from these flicks because they don't really have much to offer and the foundation/politics of the story makes for some immensely wobbly pins to establish an entire franchise upon.

Always nice to see Hounsou get a check though.

The Foundation series looks interesting and well made, assuming that they discarded the terrible filler novels beyond the initial trilogy. Biggest problem there is that I don't know a single person who has Apple TV and Foundation doesn't seem to be the sort of thing people will sign up for all by itself.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I did an entire class on Hamilton (not because I liked it but rather to illustrate how weird Americans are about elevating historical figures and how that overlaps with pop culture) when I was teaching university in Brazil and the students responded positively to Satisfied way more than any of the other songs by a large margin.

If you remove the specific references it could be a generic, if very well produced and performed, pop r&b track of the sort that we really don't get anymore.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The Tron 2 teaser and trailer were just so good. If they're making a third one with Leto hopefully we get more Daft Punk goodness and pretty trailers out of it.

BlueBayou posted:

The first Rogue One trailer and the first Tomorrowland trailer are absolutely wonderful, and far better than the actual films.

I was so disappointed with Tomorrowland because the trailers seemed to suggest something much heavier and more intelligent than what we got.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Lots of my favorite trailers have already been shared. Adding the 'Final' trailer for BvS, also one my favorites—it slaps so loving hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhWg7AQLI_8

Shame that he got saddled with pretty subpar outings in the cowl, I always thought Affleck was a pretty solid pick for grizzled older Batman. Between that and whatever personal stuff he's dealing with I can't blame him for bailing.

The real loss is no more Jeremy Irons as Alfred though.

Edit: I thought Affleck wore lifts to match up with Cavill, but apparently Affleck is the taller of the two by a fair margin (6'4 to 6'1). He always struck me as a stockier, more compact guy for some reason.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 13, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Burly Brawl is especially weird is you coulda made it look just as cool using only face replacement there was no reason to go full CGI.

Also the terrible shot from above the trailer puts a damper on the highway chase.

I really like the first...two minutes?... of it, where you just have a bunch of Weaving lookalikes and some pretty nifty choreo, plus the music loving owns.

Once Neo gets there bo staff it just goes off the rails, aside from that one cool little kick bounce thing he does with it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The dudes from Workaholics are one of the more egregious cases of "really only funny in this one thing and never manage to break out despite multiple attempts" that I've ever seen.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Batman by way of Fincher's "girl with a dragon tattoo"?

Yeah I'm with it.

algebra testes posted:

Do we know who the bad guy is? Riddler?

I thought the weird looking guy was Mr. Pyg at first but apparently it's Penguin. Either way, solid choice with the Colin Farrell casting.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, like all the Chris-es, Pine's at his best when he's playing a buffoon.

He's great as the working class small town himbo in that train movie with Denzel. It's not great but it's solid Tony Scott fare.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Also, Henry Cavill :allears:

Yeah it aint for me but any opportunity to see Henry Cavill have some fun in a role is probably worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cacator posted:

Would it be marginally more surprising to learn that not only is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a Sherlock superfan, he's also written multiple novels?

He's a legit modern day Renaissance man, I'm not surprised at all.

Has he ever gotten a cameo in any of the recent adaptations?