Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah, James Cameron is a known idiot with a melted brain when it comes to this stuff. The only way we’re getting a decent 4K release is if he isn’t allowed to be involved

I noticed my digital copy of aliens on apple has a new thumbnail, which means it’s probably been converted to the 4K UHD version. I’m scared to watch it now with that obnoxiously blue tint over it in the screenshots up the thread. It’s quite surprisingly how Cameron wanted it that way, though.

Never saw the Terminator 2 UHD either. He messed that up too? :ohdear:

Edit: okay I just checked and that lovely blue tint is not near as bad as that screenshot. The faces do look kinda waxy in motion though

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zadok Allen posted:

Never saw the Terminator 2 UHD either. He messed that up too? :ohdear:

I don't think it looks terrible it's just not up to what you'd hope you'd get when one of the best action movies of all time comes to a new format. From what I've heard/seen of the True Lies UHD that's just a whole new level of terrible.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still the ones to own if you don't own T1 or T2

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/127046/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I have the 4 movie set after Salvation came out. Absolutely wild to me that I won’t be ditching it anytime soon.

Oh and Shout is having a Going out of Print sale. Big Trouble BD is one of the items… possible 4K incoming?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Incredibly obscure movies get wonderful looking releases and some of the biggest movies that everyone wants get transfers so poo poo it feels like you’re being trolled. That’s the world we live in.

It's funny as hell. See also: the 1993 Super Mario Bros 4K that just came out a couple of my friends have been getting https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/pro...rigid-case-1993

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

It's funny as hell. See also: the 1993 Super Mario Bros 4K that just came out a couple of my friends have been getting https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/pro...rigid-case-1993

I bought that Super Mario Bros set and it just delivered yesterday. It is hilariously large, about half the size of the Scream Factory Friday the 13th set. I'm not even sure where to put it. It feels like a disservice to simply put it on my shelf between Sunshine and Suspiria.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Homeybeef posted:

I bought that Super Mario Bros set and it just delivered yesterday. It is hilariously large, about half the size of the Scream Factory Friday the 13th set. I'm not even sure where to put it. It feels like a disservice to simply put it on my shelf between Sunshine and Suspiria.

Did you get a shipping notification? I've heard nothing since my initial order in January, though I did also chuck a few things in there since it's coming from Australia and maybe that's holding it up.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They made that Super Mario Bros. 1993 4K for me and me alone and I appreciate them very much for it.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Charles Ford posted:

Did you get a shipping notification? I've heard nothing since my initial order in January, though I did also chuck a few things in there since it's coming from Australia and maybe that's holding it up.

Yes. I got a notification from Australia Post when it shipped at the beginning of this month. So it was about 3 weeks of transit time. I only had one other thing in there just to get into free shipping.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The SkyNet Edition T2 bluray has one of my favorite commentary tracks. It's cut together from interviews from 26 people involved in the production and it'll jump between them in relevant spots, it's fully subtitled and they'll even give you a little portrait of who's speaking in the corner for some folks. It's a good time

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Seriously, people are selling that Super Mario Trust the Fungus set for like $700 at eBay. That's just insane. I'm happy with my basic 4k I bought at Orbit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Streets of fire 4k from shout is at its lowest price on Amazon ($19).

Been waiting for a good sale on this one, my dad made me watch this all the time as a kid and only now do I fully appreciate Willem dafoe in it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

ultraviolence123 posted:

Seriously, people are selling that Super Mario Trust the Fungus set for like $700 at eBay. That's just insane. I'm happy with my basic 4k I bought at Orbit.

There was a tweet from umbrella today that seems to insinuate an announcement related to this tomorrow, maybe a restock?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn the Vinegar Syndrome app is beyond useless.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Warner Archive 4 for $49 sale

My question is which blind buy should I eliminate from this order?

The Night of the Iguana
Straight Time
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Thin Man
The Man Who Would Be King

They all seem like movies I would like but I don’t need a $79 purchase so I’m trying to purge one.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well, had my first movie by mail casualty. My steelbook copy of DarkMan came in completely crushed, one side even split from compressing so much. Luckily Shout will replace it but still that’s disappointing

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Bandit posted:

The Night of the Iguana
Straight Time
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Thin Man

They all seem like movies I would like but I don’t need a $79 purchase so I’m trying to purge one.

Thin Man is my lowest-ranked out of those, but they're all pretty good.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

FitFortDanga posted:

Thin Man is my lowest-ranked out of those, but they're all pretty good.

Cool, thanks! I feel like that’s an easy enough find at a later time too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.thewrap.com/david-fincher-seven-restoration-imax-tcm-film-festival/
interesting. maybe a 4K is in the works as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jack Bandit posted:

Cool, thanks! I feel like that’s an easy enough find at a later time too.

And that's how you miss out on a disc that goes out of print.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
allegedly wal mart is starting to throw some 4k steelbooks in the $5 bin

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i really wish i had a walmart near me. so badly.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m going to go to the one by hoping for the Knives Out steel book

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Se7en has a 4k on the way, announced with the What's in the Box set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

wow so the 1996 motion picture classic The Substitute never received a blu-ray?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe they’re waiting to remaster the Substitute trilogy all in one go.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Checked out my local wal*mart. Nada.

No $5 bin other than just dvds, no blu rays in it. and the steelbooks are definitely not $5, all of them are on an endcap for $30.

Welp;

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Maybe they’re waiting to remaster the Substitute trilogy all in one go.

Aren't there like, five of them?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Aren't there like, five of them?

ruddiger posted:

Maybe they’re waiting to remaster the Substitute trilogy pentalogy all in one go.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Substitute series seems like something that Vinegar Syndrome should put out but in reality it's going to be a Shout Factory website exclusive, each movie released separately, with no real extras and will cost $29.99 plus like $8 shipping. And I'll buy it because I'm a bozo and money is stupid.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sniep posted:

Checked out my local wal*mart. Nada.

No $5 bin other than just dvds, no blu rays in it. and the steelbooks are definitely not $5, all of them are on an endcap for $30.

Welp;

A one cut of the dead steelbook isn't something I knew I wanted until now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Of course they get a Shivers steelbook half a year after I finally bought Shivers :negative:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, VS ships your stuff fast when it's not a sale

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jack Bandit posted:

The Night of the Iguana
Straight Time
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Thin Man

Haven't seen the first two yet, but absolutely get the rest at least.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I saw Straight Time a couple of years ago and was shocked how little I'd heard about it compared to other movies of the era. It's really good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
There weren't any $5 steelbies at my Walmart but there was an Oppenheimer 4k steelbook I went ahead and grabbed and a Jurassic Park one clearanced down to $15, so that was cool.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Straight Time is fantastic and has an incredible scene where a very young Jake Busey slugs his dad Gary Busey right in the face and the look he gives him you cannot convince me that punch wasn’t scripted.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Substitute series seems like something that Vinegar Syndrome should put out but in reality it's going to be a Shout Factory website exclusive, each movie released separately, with no real extras and will cost $29.99 plus like $8 shipping. And I'll buy it because I'm a bozo and money is stupid.

But really, I'd rather have the principal.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
mine had the endcap but did have the hitmans wifes bodyguard and ash vs evil dead season two in the $5 bin

NO DEAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No steel books at my Walmart, lots of collection sets. Plus special glow in the dark boxes for some stuff. The glow in the dark box riddick collection made sense, but not 4k.

Also had some dvds still going for $20...