Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

We just bought our house and have gotten a ton of rain this summer. The house itself has been fine, we're on a hill and only one side of the house has and kind of grading where water can run towards the house. However, our detached garage has been getting damp. No standing water or anything like that but enough is getting through where I've had some cardboard get moldy and I've had some of my cheaper tools begin to get a bit of rust on them just from the ambient humidity of the garage.

So, obviously from the picture the grading on that side of the garage sucks. It's relatively close to the property line and adding height to the ground around the garage isn't really an option because it's almost to the roof already. As a temporary solution, I went to dig a small trench alongside the wall to help facilitate drainage but I immediately noticed that the ground was basically all rock and old bricks. There's 1-2 inches of soil over the top of what I can only assume is a 6 foot tall pile of bricks along the entire length of the garage wall. I dug a few bricks out and I can clearly see that there are voids where there is no soil in between the various rocks and bricks along the garage wall.

My thought is that the soil is getting saturated and then water is filling these voids and resting against the garage wall and slowly seeping through.

The question here is, should I excavate everything, get all the stone/brick out, drylok (or liquid rubber or whatever) the exterior wall completely and then fill with soil? Or could I just dig a foot or so down and put in some kind of french drain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

NEED MORE MILK posted:

The question here is, should I excavate everything, get all the stone/brick out, drylok (or liquid rubber or whatever) the exterior wall completely and then fill with soil? Or could I just dig a foot or so down and put in some kind of french drain?

Both, unless you don't plan on living there for a long time... You need a drain at the bottom by the foundation and then damp proofing over the walls and foundation. See this for a proper way of draining at foundations:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/cad/detail/interior-and-exterior-foundation-drain-damp-proofing

The pipe through the footing is because static pressure of water can start popping things up. That equalizes it way better. Not really going to get this after the fact. If you can only do one, apply damp proofing and fill it back with fine gravel before soil and don't do a drain.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I don't see how I could make a modification like that to the footing. From what I can tell the garage is pretty old, probably at least 30 years so I'm guessing there's nothing like that built into it already.

Expense wise, adding in the drain isn't a huge deal. It's just a fuckload more labor to dig all the way down to the bottom of the wall.

• Locked thread