Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I scored 65,000,000 but I'm too humble to update the leaderboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

this pb is not welcome

the rules posted:

6. Most importantly, just post! No score is too small, no improvement too minor. I love watching replays of all skill levels so don't worry about spamming up the thread or anything. Don't be shy!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

herculon posted:

I scored 65,000,000 but I'm too humble to update the leaderboard

I got a kill screen for having too many points and I registered it with Twin Galaxies.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i want to see more replays from ppl who havent already played a ton of tgm

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i'll try to get one on there later today

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia posted:

I've never played tgm and Tetris DX (GBC) is the version I've played the most

I'll give it a shot this weekend

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

tmfc posted:

i'll try to get one on there later today

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've never played tgm and Tetris DX (GBC) is the version I've played the most

I'll give it a shot this weekend

:cheers:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

mycophobia posted:

First time playing tetris in maybe 20 years, it was fun but very stressful lol

posted the replay on your board :cheers:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Tromi - Fat Stacks but no Fat Sluts

What appears at first glance to be a simple Tetris clone (which the author comically dances around namedropping by calling this game "[his] take on the tetromino puzzle action concept [1]") is anything but. Choosing to eschew the stale formula of the Tetris company where you have several previews, hold buttons and what is known as a "7-bag" generator which guarantees no droughts of a particular piece, among other things (we will not get into the intricacies of the Super Rotation System, as it escapes the scope of this review). Taking all these elisions into consideration, you can notice a particular attention to detail, and an intimate knowledge of the videogame Tetris, its various offshoots, and start realizing there is a supreme clarity of purpose to this game.

By forgoing a standardized 7-bag method, it means the game does not become a mind numbing reflex test that can, quite literally, be played forever [2]. Going fast in standard Guideline Tetris can, and does, feel exhilarating, but if you're not the fastest shoot in the west, it can easily get tedious, and this is before getting in the First Optimal Strategies involving techniques such as T-spin towers and center 4-wide wells that can make the game one dimensional. Tromi, rather, takes a novel approach, where it uses AI algorithms to determine whether your stack is clean, and if you're effective at keeping it that way. Coupled with a more random piece generator (while still keeping droughts at bay) it exercises your creativity and improvisational skills. How will you deal with two Z pieces followed by 1 J and 1 S? Your stack is full of stairs and gaps, yet, there is a dreaded square in the preview, and you have a fraction of a second to figure out what to do with the I currently barrelling into a precipice of bad past decisions.

Despite the stricter judgement of play and unpredictable piece generation, Tromi is a merciful overseer. The gameplay is constantly monitored for your performance, and if you're doing well, it'll speed up accordingly (those familiar with the extremely niche and unforgiving cult classic Tetris: The Grand Master series will be familiar with such adaptive difficulty), which for a fledgling Tetromonger as myself, is certainly welcome. That doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve. If you've been playing nothing but Guideline Tetris you will need to adapt to the strange ways the pieces might react.

As for aesthetics, once again, this game goes for the simple and elegant, and has the inspired choice of using as background music some great piano pieces by the legendary Jerry Martin of The Sims[3] fame. These long songs help avoid repetition and get you in the flow of the game.

But with all the good, must come the bad. A colleague of mine, Hizu Nana over at gamespooge.com let me know of rumors that Tromi was developing an update which would include sluts; a variety of anime[5] girls with gigantic tits and asses, in various states of undress. I held off on the tantalizing open beta testing in anticipation of a full product full of the most retarded looking and sexually provocative Tromi whores only to be left at a total loss, with the only feeling being an empty pit in my stomach, and a back full of stabs. Are the developers really OK with writing checks that their fanbase won't be able to jack off? Have there been issues in the dev studio given the impending release date? I think we will eventually get an illuminating tell all story about the development of Tromi, and its infamous "slutsgate" which the dev refuses to comment on, but for the time being we'll have to make do with assumptions and our hands. Let's hope this gets addressed soon, because the gaming public is not happy; they got a mouth packed with curses, a mind full of grudges and a dick bursting with cum.

Despite the glaring omission, I highly recommend you to play Tromi, just don't let the lack of sluts put you off.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 6, 2024

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

What appears at first glance to be a simple Tetris clone (which the author comically dances around namedropping by calling this game "[his] take on the tetromino puzzle action concept [1]") is anything but. Choosing to eschew the stale formula of the Tetris company where you have several previews, hold buttons and what is known as a "7-bag" generator which guarantees no droughts of a particular piece, among other things (we will not get into the intricacies of the Super Rotation System, as it escapes the scope of this review). Taking all these elisions into consideration, you can notice a particular attention to detail, and an intimate knowledge of the videogame Tetris, its various offshoots, and start realizing there is a supreme clarity of purpose to this game.

By forgoing a standardized 7-bag method, it means the game does not become a mind numbing reflex test that can, quite literally, be played forever [2]. Going fast in standard Guideline Tetris can, and does, feel exhilarating, but if you're not the fastest shoot in the west, it can easily get tedious, and this is before getting in the First Optimal Strategies involving techniques such as T-spin towers and center 4-wide wells that can make the game one dimensional. Tromi, rather, takes a novel approach, where it uses AI algorithms to determine whether your stack is clean, and if you're effective at keeping it that way. Coupled with a more random piece generator (while still keeping droughts at bay) it exercises your creativity and improvisational skills. How will you deal with two Z pieces followed by 1 J and 1 S? Your stack is full of stairs and gaps, yet, there is a dreaded square in the preview, and you have a fraction of a second to figure out what to do with the I currently barrelling into a precipice of bad past decisions.

Despite the stricter judgement of play and unpredictable piece generation, Tromi is a merciful overseer. The gameplay is constantly monitored for your performance, and if you're doing well, it'll speed up accordingly (those familiar with the extremely niche and unforgiving cult classic Tetris: The Grand Master series will be familiar with such adaptive difficulty), which for a fledgling Tetromonger as myself, is certainly welcome. That doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve. If you've been playing nothing but Guideline Tetris you will need to adapt to the strange ways the pieces might react.

As for aesthetics, once again, this game goes for the simple and elegant, and has the inspired choice of using as background music some great piano pieces by the legendary Jerry Martin of The Sims[3] fame. These long songs help avoid repetition and get you in the flow of the game.

But with all the good, must come the bad. A colleague of mine, Hizu Nana over at gamespooge.com let me know of rumors that Tromi was developing an update which would include sluts; a variety of anime[5] girls with gigantic tits and asses, in various states of undress. I held off on the tantalizing open beta testing in anticipation of a full product full of the most retarded looking and sexually provocative Tromi whores only to be left at a total loss, with the only feeling being an empty pit in my stomach, and a back full of stabs. Are the developers really OK with writing checks that their fanbase won't be able to jack off? Have there been issues in the dev studio given the impending release date? I think we will eventually get an illuminating tell all story about the development of Tromi, and its infamous "slutsgate" which the dev refuses to comment on, but for the time being we'll have to make do with assumptions and our hands. Let's hope this gets addressed soon, because the gaming public is not happy; they got a mouth packed with curses, a mind full of grudges and a dick bursting with cum.

Despite the glaring omission, I highly recommend you to play Tromi, just don't let the lack of sluts put you off.

lmfao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

lmfao

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

ArfJason posted:

lmfao

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

insane anime posted:

Put big fat titties back on pinball machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW. loving do it NOW. I'm so drat serious. I'm tired of paying 12,999 yew ess dee per machine without getting compensated with some tits. It's a middle finger to the consumer. So I tell you again, Put some loving Titties on my Gosh drat Pinball machine you fascist cucks.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

lmfao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

ArfJason posted:

lmfao jesus dude

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

but seriously where are the thick anime sluts.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

but seriously where are the thick anime sluts.

ArfJason posted:

You promised Tromi sluts.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ArfJason posted:

maybe this will get me back into tetris...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phone posted:

maybe this will get me back into tetris...

With no sluts? Whatever man…

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Awaiting the bimbos.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Awaiting the bimbos.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i'm proud to announce we're setting up a kickstarter to add anime sluts to tromi. details to follow

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

insert the animaniacs nurse into the bg and label that version as Tromi AO (adults only). My wallet .

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

insert the animaniacs nurse into the bg and label that version as Tromi AO (adults only). My wallet .

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

mycophobia posted:

i'm proud to announce we're setting up a kickstarter to add anime sluts to tromi. details to follow

Thank you for making good on the promise of Tromi Sluts.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Here they come now, see them run now. Here they come now, Tromi Sluts.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I swear I'm going to download tromi this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I swear I'm going to download tromi this weekend.

It’s hype brother.