Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

copy
Jul 26, 2007

HouseofGlass posted:

There's lots of isekais and whatever that try to subvert typical fantasy tropes, but Kui just takes these old-school ideas and really thinks them through and how they would actually work within the confines of this world. The whole Mimic part is still one of my favorites in the series and it's such a cool way of incorporating them into the world.

I love this part of it so much. The author does a great job making it a real world that makes sense with its own logic. In my life of playing tabletop RPGs, it's probably the best take on "Gygaxian Naturalism" I've ever seen. It's really refreshing and fun, and does a good job of making things seem magical and full of wonderment/terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

One thing I really like about this is I can imagine other stories taking place in this world that have nothing to do with the main cast of characters. And it's conveyed without lengthy flashback arcs or going on chapters-long side stories with the main cast nowhere in sight. The world is communicated to us in little pieces as it makes sense for the characters to mention it, rather than some plot-dump character. I think a big part of the success of that is due to Senshi's character. He's clearly been down there a while. So rather than having one audience-insert ignoramus like isekai do, we have Senshi teaching the rest of the party (and thereby us) about dungeon life, while he in turn is educated about the surface world. Boy howdy do I like this comic.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, I know that there were theories about it, but isn't Thistle calling Marcille half-elf the first time her lineage was brought up in the manga?

Squidster posted:

Is this the first confirmation that Marcille isn't a full elf?

I thought that was confirmed in the nightmare chapter where we learn her desire for learning ancient magic comes from her father's comparatively early death.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Squidster posted:

It looks like the guidebook is getting translated as well!

The Adventurers Bible

Oh drat that is excellent. I wish more comics/shows would share their bibles. Awesome of everydayheroes to do the scanlation too. Between this and Kamuy they got good taste.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

It's funny that all this nightmare and the hell that is sure to follow is happening pretty much entirely because the Canaries wanted to stop Laius from being able to freely eat monsters in the dungeon at all costs.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ThingOne posted:

All I could see

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

god drat this manga owns hard

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

holy poo poo everything about this image lol

I never want this series to end, not because I don't want the story to end or anything, but because man, kui ryoko is good at putting these characters in goofy-rear end hilarious situations

lol that one ruled

copy
Jul 26, 2007

hype for this

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol that orc's poor sister.

also absolutely gently caress those elves and their bullshit. laius ate magic's soul don't gently caress with his friends

copy
Jul 26, 2007

what a great loving ride that was. already sad to see it end though. complicated

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I love "the very popular character, astarion" being a low-detail doodle crammed in a corner

lol same

copy
Jul 26, 2007

thats cool ty for posting. made me remember how game manuals used to have lots of cool details and poo poo and how much reading those on the driv ehome colored my experience with the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

no issue with people being salty about a character thats intentionally introduced as non-friendly to the pov characters. part of the fun is the story convincing the audience to like them imo