Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Picked up the first book of this at the bookstore today after hearing it generallly recommended. I'm not a big manga reader or anime watcher (the only one i actually read is My Hero Academia, which i fell into by chance while recovering from an eye condition), but I love D&D, and this is great!

I tried searching to see if there's a show and it looks like there isn't, which is too bad. Still far from caught up on the comic though.

That's really all i got. Comic is good.

Edit: I guess to give this post more content, are there any more recommendations for this author, or this genre? My sense is that most fantasy adventurer anime/manga is kinda garbage, but if there's more like this around i'd be interested to see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

You can read her Short Story collection. She hasn't done much else.

Watch Slayers.

I'm trying to watch Slayers, but the aforementioned vision problems make the special effects really hard on my eyes. I do really like seeing a charming old 80s/90s cartoon where a female protagonist gets to run around having fun and slapping dragons around. Maybe that has a manga I can read too?

I've gone ahead and looked up these other series you guys have mentioned and they look great! I guess there's a lot more gems out there than are stocked at my local Indigo. Thanks for the advice!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brought To You By posted:

Magus in the Library is a must recommend. Arabian Nights fantasy manga about a half elf boy who aspires to be a kick rear end librarian.

I'll add it to the list! These recommendations have looked quite good, though I have to admit that Delicious in Dungeon is still in a league of its own. I've been working my way through and things have escalated so quickly! The world-building is excellent, I really like the way the different peoples' lifespans and cultures informs their perspectives. It's also extremely obvious that Marcille has a big ol crush on Falin, and I hope everything works out for them in the end.

Balancing all of that with still making time to cook, and through cooking consider interesting ideas about monsters, ecology, society, and more, is really impressive. It'd be so easy to let the hook that the series was built around slowly fade as more traditional storylines take hold, but keeping the cooking central makes the comic really feel unique.

Also - I am inevitably left very hungry!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

thetoughestbean posted:

Did I recommend Drifting Dragons? It’s about what’s essentially a whaling ship except it’s an airship that hunts dragons. And the dragons are essentially big flying sea creatures of all shapes and sizes.

The art’s gorgeous and the manga does a good job having the reader get to know the crew. Also, like Delicious in Dungeon, it’s secretly a cooking manga where the main ingredient is dragon

I saw that one at the bookstore too and flipped through it - it looks very pretty! I was already considering it, but I'll add it to the list for sure then.

Edit: the shapeshifter chapter rules and I am stealing that concept for my Wilds Beyond The Witchlight campaign.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Manga's not normally my thing, and for the most part glancing at the big manga hasn't really changed my mind. My Hero Academia's waaay out of my usual interests but I just fell into a collection of it while my eyes were too messed up to look at any kind of screen, so I've got a soft spot for it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

A lot of these other ideas look like they could be good, apart from the drifting dragon one I hadn't seen them before. I'll have to see how many I can find at the bookstore or the library next time I'm there.

Also just met the cat person and they look like they'll round out the party. I can't tell at what chapter this thread started, I'd like to be able to check in on your real-time reactions when I get to the right part. Which chapter should I start reading the thread at?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

The latest. There is a lot happening.

No, I mean when should I go back to page one of this thread and reading along with the chapters?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

Going my Mangadex releasedates, Chapter 48 was the newest when the thread started.

Almost there - thanks!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Got through the next volume and I was not ready for Senshi's backstory. I had sort of assumed he'd been in a famine, since his attitude toward food was evocative of stories you hear about people who survived the dustbowl and the Great Depression, but I didn't expect it to imply full-on cannibalism!

I'm finding I don't have the best handle on the... maturity level? Rating? that this series is aiming at. Based on the first volume I figured this was downright kid-friendly and safe to recommend to anyone, more or less, but I was reading the chapter that takes place in the memory of the old kingdom while on the bus and had to shut the volume very quickly when I turned the page and saw a bunch of naked minotaurs. It's definitely bloody, Kabru full-on slit monster-Falin's throat and the dragon crunched off Laius's leg, but the whiplash can be difficult to keep a handle on at times.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 4, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

euroshopper posted:

it's pretty common for adventure manga (hxh obvious example) to start out somewhat kid-friendly while adding more mature themes later on for character development / suspense reasons so i'm not entirely sure what point you're getting at

Just that I'm not very acclimatized to the standards and expectations involved in adventure manga, having relatively little experience with manga full stop. It's not a critique of these choices in the story, just that I definitely didn't expect them and have had to reassess my expectations as a result. I don't actually have to worry about accidentally recommending it to children or anything.

The tonal whiplash in both writing and art when moving between comedy and drama can be strong, but it's also fun and fairly well-managed. I was certainly happy to see Senshi's reaction when he learned that he hadn't cannibalized one of his fellow dwarves after all, it was a surprisingly touching conclusion to see that his darkest fears hadn't come to pass.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 5, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Very excited for this, though I've never been around for a manga being adapted to an anime like this - I'm assuming this sort of announcement means it's like three years out?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any indication of where the show will actually come out? Like, are they making it for Netflix, or does it go on Crunchyroll, or what? I'm not very familiar with this sort of development process.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who got Laios those Valentine chocolates?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RuBisCO posted:

Really interesting implication that the races were granted their disparate lifespans instead of it being innate.

Interesting possibility that the resolution of Marcille's quest could be that defeating the demon withdraws their "blessings" from the world, including perhaps the disparity in lifespans between the races? Instead of everyone living for a thousand years, everyone gets knocked down to human lifespans.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wallrod posted:

It'd probably be more funny than Good(TM) but i would die laughing if everything turned out okay because laius' monster design turned out to be really really effective

I'm definitely down for Laios not actually having a plan or his plan completely misunderstood the situation, but he ends up saving the day anyway accidentally. The Winged Lion already doesn't quite understand mortals, but the gaps in its understanding seem to especially line up with Laios's idiosyncracies.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I really hope they get to cover the whole series, I don't think it's that long. At a guess, maybe three twelve-episode seasons would do the trick?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gale being served a deliciously rendered feast of all my goddamn magic items.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

GloomMouse posted:

That was really good but I'm still hungry

We all now suffer the Demon Stomach for more delicious chapters, the eternal and impossible drive to satisfy desire is the true message of the story.

To be honest, I assumed Laios describing his ever-hungry demon stomach was going to be "the curse", because it's the deepest and most fundamental expression of unsatisfied desire the Winged Lion could put upon him. Being kept at arm's length from all monsters seems smaller by comparison, people could still hunt them and bring back some tasty monster steaks for the king.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The supporting cast were all excellent, and I hope there may be occasional glimpses of what they get up to post-story. Most of the other adventurers and locals would presumably end up in the kingdom, so seeing more of that would be fun.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's honestly nice seeing everyone dressing up and on their best behaviour because they know how awkward Chilchuk finds mixing his professional and personal lives, it's a very supportive gesture from both his kids and his coworkers to ease him into opening up more.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The series mines the gently caress out of the thematic significance of consunption and desire. The Winged Lion is a great antagonist for actually developing those ideas with. I'm watching the show with my fiance who didn't read the manga and I'm very interested to see her take on it develop.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

sharkmafia posted:

i think its cute that chilchuck has one daughter who is just exactly like him and is clearly as done with all the other two's nonsense as he is

e; oh this was mentioned but yeah i agree

Given the lifespan issue, I'm reminded of a quote from some fantasy series or other from a dwarf's perspective about how hard it is to make friends with a human, because just as you're starting to trust and understand them, they go and die of old age. So, being clan-minded, the dwarf says it makes sense to get to know a human family so that by the time you get to the grandchildren you've got an idea of their quality.

It's fun to imagine a whole line of Chilchuk's descendents, each grumpily inheriting their ancestor's friendship with Senshi and Marcille. As funny as Laios as king is, it's probably Marcille who'll have the most long-term impact on the future of the kingdom, in a role seemingly not that different from her mother's (is she still around?).

Edit: if Ryoko still wants a tragic ending, just give us a bonus page set 1000 years in the future, where the world has become completely modern and an elderly Marcille is a Presidential Advisor and the last one from her era.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 11, 2024

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

All these extra pages rule. I enjoyed the early adventuring tour from Laios's perspective where he fully misses most of what's going on with his party because all he thinks about is going deeper into the dungeon to see more monsters. I definitely think some of Shuro's stuff is retroactive rather than something thought out for chapter one (not a critique, just a feeling), but it works retroactively as part of Laios's characterization of just not noticing anything about the people around him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a surprisingly realistic portrayal of a certain kind of middle-aged struggle, which in turn heightens the comedy of it happening to the li'l hobbit guy.

Hopefully the world settling down can give Chilchuk the time and space to work on himself and his family, it sounds like exactly the kind of problem that's made worse by having a lot of work you can throw yourself into. It's also the problem in the group that's most typical and could be worked on with conventional counselling, instead of trying to unpack the root of Laios's monster fixation or Senshi's survivor guilt or whatever is up with Izutsumi.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jerkface posted:

I love the OP. The opening guitar strumming really sets a great fantasy mood.

My favourite part is the bardcore breakdown at the end.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pureauthor posted:

There's so much of this world that's really richly detailed and explored that the main storyline never really gets into.

Even this sort of fits nicely into the theme of the story about desire and satisfaction, the finite nature of something like a meal, how to eat and be full is the temporary privilege of the living and to be grateful we can spend it with each other. Dungeon Meshi achieves that greatest of success of leaving the audience hungry for more. There's really no side character I wouldn't want to see more of, no implication of the ending I wouldn't like to see explored (and the glimpses of these we've gotten are great), and yet the story ran its course and is better for sticking to that while it was running.

Kabru's definitely someone I liked and would have enjoyed seeing more of, he's limited by his relatively secondary place in the story but he's well used for what he is. His ultimate fate as not the conqueror of the dungeon but the new king's hapless advisor is a fun one I'd enjoy seeing a little more of, or seeing if his philandering ways caught up to him.

Honestly it'd be neat to see a What If of him conquering the dungeon. He probably wouldn't have gotten past the Winged Lion, he's just too smart for his own good there.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

When the dungeon is defeated, the instance closes and everyone respawns in the lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm heading to Tokyo later this week for a work conference so unfortunately going to just miss the event, but best of luck in getting in before your flight!