Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh I didn't realize we had a thread for this, sweet. I finally read through this a couple weeks ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since, what a masterclass this series is. The amount of care put into it is up there with some of my all-time favorites, I adore the artbooks stuff that's been put out so far. Nothing but good poo poo to say. Hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

Finally bought the latest volume and got reminded of a panel I needed to animate:

:yeah:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RatHat posted:

So Maizuru wasn't actually the one who turned Izutsumi into a cat.

We've known that from the jump I'm pretty sure.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This chapter was the D&D session where it's diplomacy and deception rolls all the way down

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

jailed for horny

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I hope it's done with the amount of care it deserves, it would really suck to see a half-assed anime come out of this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1556979502693191686

motherfuckin trigger??

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the amount of care kui puts into world building is loving nuts

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

other people: wow i can't wait to see what manga the author does next

me: she god drat better turn this universe into a tabletop RPG module

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

izutsumi is GOAT

this is the correct reaction to this chapter

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

was waiting for that turn all chapter

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

when a new chapter drops

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the last page explicitly says the next chapter is the final one

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Do you mean the "In the next chapter, the heroic tale of Laios reaches its grand finale!" part? The part I mentioned in my post?

bitch i don't read

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

marcille and falin did not kiss 0/10 waste of time

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just kidding what a fuckin banger of a series o7

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

also in addition to some feathers falin has lil fangs now. good stuff

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

Is Dungeon Meshi the best completed manga of all time? I'm thinking it is

it's certainly a close second to FMA in my mind

turns out meticulous and well-crafted worldbuilding count for a lot!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

more importantly, did his daughters make a move on the smoking hot dwarf (senshi)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I stopped reading right after Thistle rezzed Marcielle just to let it pile up and binge the ending, im glad I did. Over all a completely wonderful story and Im glad I got a chance to follow it from beginning to end. I wonder if Kyoko Rui has struggled with addiction, or if thats just me projecting onto to story.

does baldur's gate count

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the spirit of the late king wanders the land searching for monster flesh

perfect coda, no notes

i have notes: she should do more of these

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

izutsumi (all)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's impossible to ship senshi because no one is on his level

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you should absolutely post every time something new gets translated

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, she was in the manga's prototype chapter, so that's part of things. (In fact, in the prototype version, she'd join well before the Red Dragon.) She was always meant to be part of things, but figuring out a way to make a catgirl ninja fit in a more traditional DnD setting with obsessive detail on how everything works probably took more time than expected.

does this chapter exist online anywhere? i've never seen it and it sounds interesting

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bisexual leg panic is absolutely my new band name

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i enjoy that yaad and all the golden country citizens assumed they'd fade away once they reached the surface, but he at least appears to be sticking around by sheer force of will to keep laios from loving everything up

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

I've lost count of how often Ryoko Kui has done the "meanwhile, Izutsumi is doing nothing" punchline. It's always great.

izutsumi gets hit with an existential right hook from lycion and just absolutely no-sells it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

everything about this series has been great from the jump, but the world building has been one of if not the best parts. i'd be so stoked if she kept doing little side bits into the future

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the true gamer's spirit

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

his name is absolutely supposed to be thistle but the official translations botched it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah at the current pace it looks like we'll hit Falin's resurrection around Ep 12, Falingon fight around Ep 15-16, and Thistle and Falingon's attack on Floor 1 and the Canaries around Ep 24.

Which would hopefully mean likely another 12 episode season to finish out the endgame, because I can't see how they could cram it all in to the remaining 18 episodes of these two seasons.

how dare you make this list and not include an izutsumi estimation. for shame. *spits at u*

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

a lot of them exist outside of the narrative space of the story, so as much as i love those extras i'm not really sure how'd they'd be slotted in without it feeling like a jarring break from what's happening

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

once an official manga translation is set the first time, they have to double down forever. we call this the zolo clause.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i really enjoy we can have this discussion about a character and her personality and history that never actually comes up in the comic itself and just in the supplemental materials. top tier world building imo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think otta did some earthbending poo poo like once and otherwise was just Around, and she's still fun to talk about! that's good stuff

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i caught a preview screening, marcille and falin just outright gently caress in the next one

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

One of the most basic bit of foreshadowing I always loved is that when Falin is revived, she springs up, gasping for air.

Her right eye is squeezed shut and she instinctively clutches at her throat.

i'm an idiot, what is the foreshadowing here

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fleki spinoff when, give the people what they want kui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hell yeah dude