Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

This series is pretty consistently incredible. Everything that Kui Ryoko has done is great, but in this case she's managed to come up with some really neat takes on classic Dungeons and Dragons/Wizardry stuff. There's lots of isekais and whatever that try to subvert typical fantasy tropes, but Kui just takes these old-school ideas and really thinks them through and how they would actually work within the confines of this world. The whole Mimic part is still one of my favorites in the series and it's such a cool way of incorporating them into the world.

HouseofGlass fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
Yeah, pretty much everything she does is good. The short stories aren't as developed as Dungeon Meshi since they're not as long, but some people prefer them because they cover a wide variety of styles and tones. Kui has a lot of range, and she seems to challenge herself a lot.

Also this omake is an example of how much work she puts into everything. Pretty much every single entry in the contest was just a picture of the main characters with maybe a bit of text. Take, for example, the Hakumei & Mikochi one:

At most, there was a paragraph where the mangaka went into some more detail explaining it. As far as I remember though, none of them even came remotely close to the amount Kui Ryoko stuffed onto that page.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Brought To You By posted:

Which omake did that come from? Can't seem to reverse image search it.

Oh, it’s from the Reverse Fellows omake book that was released with the 8/18 issue of Harta. Every mangaka that contributes to Harta did a page in the book, Kui just did a crazy detailed page because she’s a workaholic. Reverse image search wouldn’t work for that Hakumei & Mikochi page because it only exists here (I haven’t released it yet officially, gonna do that later).

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Brought To You By posted:

Didn't make the connection that you were a part of #EveryDayHeroes. Thanks for all your work, Dungeon Meshi and Hakumei are definitely two of the better manga I follow.

Thanks! Yeah, they're both great manga. I'd say that Harta is the best manga magazine running now, because it's got those two as well as Hinamatsuri, Otoyomegatari, and some interesting oneshots that unfortunately tend to fall between the cracks. I really think that one part of why Dungeon Meshi is so good is because Harta is the perfect magazine for Kui's style. It's a lot more relaxed of a release schedule so she can take her time and really fine-tune the story, and there's no page limit so she can make the story as long or as short as it needs to be.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Fellis posted:

If this is what does it, its gonna be a one piece arc ending, a feast with all the friends we made along the way

I’m curious with the glimpse of Chilhack’s family table on the first page. It looks very extended with some older folk included. How old was Chilhack compared to Laius?

Chilchack says he's about to turn 29 in chapter 13. I forget if Laius has ever given his age, but he's younger than Chilchack for sure since he reacts to that fact by showing deference.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I think honestly it will be some kind of plot point that gets fleshed out in the next chapter, but yeah I definitely see what you mean about it feeling a bit rushed/convenient.

I think even if does end up being a bit convenient, I’m still really interested in where it’s going. There’s been the occasional moment before this one that felt a bit too convenient to me, but how it was used/contextualized later in the plot ended up more than making up for the nitpick at the time.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I'm just glad we finally have confirmation that Marcille is Italian.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Scholtz posted:

That was the 4th chapter in a row without a break, does that mean we're two months away from the next chapter or does no date on the last page mean we're getting one next month?

Also, 11 pages :gonk:

Harta’s magazine’s break is in January (and again in July), so there’s a chapter like normal next month.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

panko posted:

doublepost and I don’t see them post here much anymore but monstrous thanks to #EverydayHeroes, Apoptosis and HouseofGlass for such high-level scanlation work. The end-of-chapter glossaries for dungeon meshi (and for golden kamuy) are some of the best in the game. thanks for your efforts in making this series accessible and popular among english-speakers.

You're welcome (to everyone else too)! I'm still around, I just like lurking more than posting. Doing big glossaries almost became a game to see if we could outdo each other each time and maybe make a psd file big enough to crash our computers. It's nice to be able to take it easy now though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

The Divine Orator posted:

Hmm did she marry a guy she brushed off as gently as possible and who didn't even appear in the final chapter, or the woman who's entire arc was about coming to terms with the fact the girl she cares about more than anything in the world will die one day, ending with her finally coming to terms with that in the last moments of the manga, who she then spends the rest of her life together with? truly a mystery that the author hasn't already made as clear as needed in the text already

Hm? Didn't appear in the final chapter? Shuro appeared in several panels in the final chapter, like this one. Certainly not a major player, but don't sell the poor guy short! Plus we haven't even heard his answer yet!