Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have an office chair, built 20 August 2013 according to the manual, of which I am very fond. It's not my first by any means, but it's possibly the best. However, one thing I hate about office chairs is that they have a gas lift in them that inevitably breaks down, is very difficult to replace and eventually becomes very expensive to buy when the chair inevitably leaves warranty. Also, nobody sits in my chair apart from me and I personally am quite tall, so I am always going to keep the gas lift fully raised. As such, the gas lift being adjustable is meaningless to me. About three years ago I replaced the gas lift under warranty, which as always is a pain in the arse and comes with the knowledge that the new one will stop functioning inside of six months. I can still sit in a chair with a defective gas lift, but it will always be at its lowest which is very uncomfortable for someone of my height. So, I decided to see if there was something that I could do to keep the gas lift in a permanently up position. After trying several things, I ended up using a fairly clever method where I use metal hose clamps combined with a steel ring that was made for me by a former handyman of my acquaintance. Please see below:

It's not currently follow down in this picture, but the clamps keep the chair from sinking too low as they will eventually come to rest on the metal ring which stops them from sinking any lower. Apart from having to replace the hose clamps from time to time, this has worked very well for me for three or more years. However, there is a downside as the chair is moderately unstable. The metalllic-coloured gas lift there goes into that black region a bit lower down. Obviously, the latter is much wider than the former. Previously there was a ring that fit perfectly into the wider black part which held the gas lift in a straight up position, but it eventually broke as it was made out of cheap plastic rather than quality aluminium or steel, as you can see:

I conquered the vertical problem of constantly failing gas lifts but not the horizontal problem. As the silvery gas lift is narrower than the wider black tube into which it passes and the stabilising ring is gone, the chair sways somewhat forwards and backwards as well as from one side to the other. Had I the technical nous or knew people with same, I would create a ring whose inner radius was just as wide as that of the gas lift with a tiny lip that would allow it to sit on the black tube that locks into the star base; this would hold the fast lift straight vertical while being a stable service for the hose clamps to rest on. That's beyond me, though, so I'm trying to find some way to stabilise the chair better, possibly by filling the black tube with something, so that it holds the gas lift in as vertical a position as possible at all times.

I think that I've explained the problem quite thoroughly, and I would appreciate any constructive suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Couldn't you just cut a bit of aluminum or steel pipe larger than the silver bit, but smaller than the black bit, and sleeve it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Liquid Communism posted:

Couldn't you just cut a bit of aluminum or steel pipe larger than the silver bit, but smaller than the black bit, and sleeve it?

I did this same thing just with a length of black PVC pipe. Obviously not as strong as metal pipe, but it's lasted for several years now and spinning and sitting in the chair has only maybe shaved off a 1/4" of length. I added a hose clamp around the top and bottom edges of the PVC pipe, just to give it some strength there to prevent splitting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I did this same thing just with a length of black PVC pipe. Obviously not as strong as metal pipe, but it's lasted for several years now and spinning and sitting in the chair has only maybe shaved off a 1/4" of length. I added a hose clamp around the top and bottom edges of the PVC pipe, just to give it some strength there to prevent splitting.

Have you tried mortar?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BigFactory posted:

Have you tried mortar?

No, I haven't. I am currently working on taking accurate measurements and then I'm going to try a bit of PVC pipe from the local hardware store. Since it's very inexpensive, I won't be put out if it doesn't work