Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harold Zettler, Malkavian antitribu and member of the Pentex Board of Directors gets namedropped as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yes, Void Engineers are the "um. gently caress this poo poo, we're outta here!" subfaction of the technology wizards, which is honestly one of the most rational choices having gone so hard down the Evil Route to unraveling the truest mysteries of the World of Darkness lore. I respect it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

when I saw VE I was fully expecting much greater metanarrative WoD hijinks to ensue, alas tiger was enough

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wizard2 posted:

Yes, Void Engineers are the "um. gently caress this poo poo, we're outta here!" subfaction of the technology wizards, which is honestly one of the most rational choices having gone so hard down the Evil Route to unraveling the truest mysteries of the World of Darkness lore. I respect it.

Also depending on your edition the Void Engineers are dealing with one of the greatest threats to the setting, Threat Null, which is all the super powerful higherups in the Technocracy who were stranded in the Umbra when travel to and from it got super hard and are coming back capital-C changed. Thread Null is awesome.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m genuinely crestfallen abt WoD bc it always has the most bugfuck lunatic concepts but no one is around to use them

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Also depending on your edition the Void Engineers are dealing with one of the greatest threats to the setting, Threat Null, which is all the super powerful higherups in the Technocracy who were stranded in the Umbra when travel to and from it got super hard and are coming back capital-C changed. Thread Null is awesome.

Where can I read more about this?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

someone did a huge effort post on in the tradgames thread a few years back, but doing a thread search for "threat null" only brought up six results, none of which were what I remembered

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TTBF posted:

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Threat_Null

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you, the wiki having sources helped me a lot in finding the right sourcebook to get my fill of this. (Convention Book: Void Engineers from 2013)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TTBF posted:

Thank you, the wiki having sources helped me a lot in finding the right sourcebook to get my fill of this. (Convention Book: Void Engineers from 2013)

It's mentioned in the Mage 20th Anniversary edition, a little, but Satyros Phil Brucato went in a different direction for the Technocracy that was much less interesting.

Edit: New favorite line:

Book of Hungry Names posted:

"I have heard the Litany," Nin says, rolling her eyes. Her understanding of irony has been improving lately. It's been difficult for everyone.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished my black fury gaillard social heavy run last night.
Kept human casualties under 10, used Katherine to beat answering tiger despite not believing her the first time she said her plan. Stormcat saying she was close to right had me go that route when I was originally planning to focus on the caern.
Did not kill Elton, Kept the whole pack alive and focused on rebuilding the human community while smooching melodie.

I think a big reason this was more enjoyable than Night Roads, which again, is awesome, is that vampire existence is far more solitary. Having the pack and all their personalities to bounce off of just made things so fun.

Someone posted that this writer has some fantasy themed games, are they this solid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Kept human casualties under 10, used Katherine to beat answering tiger despite not believing her the first time she said her plan. Stormcat saying she was close to right had me go that route when I was originally planning to focus on the caern.
Did not kill Elton, Kept the whole pack alive and focused on rebuilding the human community while smooching melodie.

I think a big reason this was more enjoyable than Night Roads, which again, is awesome, is that vampire existence is far more solitary. Having the pack and all their personalities to bounce off of just made things so fun.

How do you keep the casualties under ten? Never managed it.

Agreed on the pack's personalities (plus Nomi and supporting characters like your boss, the Three Families, etc.) making it feel much more alive than the Night Roads courier who is bouncing around from place to place.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
lmao I got to like, probably near the end and the update kicked me back to chapter 3

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Soonmot posted:

Someone posted that this writer has some fantasy themed games, are they this solid?

Pon Para is not quite as good as Book of Hungry names but it’s still an excellent series with a deeply weird fantasy setting that I heartily recommend.

It’s world is a broken husk imperfectly held together by a god machine underpining reality and magic is basically reaching into that god machine to root access hack what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

/\/\/\ty!

Dawgstar posted:

How do you keep the casualties under ten? Never managed it.

I was very human focused and empowered the community to fight back instead of ignoring them or using them as cannon fodder