Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

They should make the canticle of Leibovitz book into a show. Post apocalypse with some hopefulness. Actually station eleven reminds me a lot of that book. I’m watching the last ep now

A Canticle for Leibowitz would make such a great HBO series. I would hope they'd make the post-apocalypse look more like a dark age than Station 11, which could just be a hippy gathering for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man, A Canticle For Leibowitz is one of my favorite books ever that would own

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently Showtime just plops new episodes of their shows early in the day instead of waiting until it airs on TV like HBO. Just watched the season finale of Yellowjackets. They stuck the landing. One or two surprises were pretty predictable, but there were a couple twists that genuinely shocked me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently Showtime just plops new episodes of their shows early in the day instead of waiting until it airs on TV like HBO. Just watched the season finale of Yellowjackets. They stuck the landing. One or two surprises were pretty predictable, but there were a couple twists that genuinely shocked me.

The thing that worries me about Yellowjackets is that they seem like they want to make like 6 seasons of that show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

The thing that worries me about Yellowjackets is that they seem like they want to make like 6 seasons of that show.

Apparently they have a plan for 5 seasons.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Themes that are standing out to me from Netflix's adaptation of Archive 81 (I have never listened to the original because my ADHD fucks with me listening to podcasts lol): obviously the ritual abuse, but some stuff about abuse from therapists and trauma

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
pretty par for the course for cult themed horror

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i would like to see a horror anthology that takes place where the sun is shining and there's no darkness. I'd like to see the skill of that.

Like, there's still weird creatures lumbering around in the perfectly lit bathroom or whatever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nihonniboku posted:

Are there big cliffhangers and unexplained mysteries?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Watching the externals. Did someone really complain about the scrolling text intro it only takes five seconds. Shorter by half than a new hope intro

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna love post this movie

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol kumail

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kinda creepy a 500 year old with a 35 year old

257 min

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lmao is that frickin Angelina Jolie dude I though she retired

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Lmao is that frickin Angelina Jolie dude I though she retired

I seriously think this is the first movie in YEARS where she is just a part of the ensemble, and not the lead. She's made a career out of being in below average films where she is always guaranteed top billing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

I seriously think this is the first movie in YEARS where she is just a part of the ensemble, and not the lead. She's made a career out of being in below average films where she is always guaranteed top billing.

She hasn't been well cast in like 20 years and she's SUPER boring in this.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

Watching the externals. Did someone really complain about the scrolling text intro it only takes five seconds. Shorter by half than a new hope intro

It was at least 30 seconds MOVIE RUINED

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Enjoying Archive 81 so far. Minor spoiler for the early episodes - does anyone think that the demon face in the static looks kinda cheesy and undermines a lot of the good work the show does in establishing a creepy atmosphere?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I stopped live posting the eternals because I got bored and wandered off. my wife enjoyed it tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I stopped live posting the eternals because I got bored and wandered off. my wife enjoyed it tho
Would you say it felt like it went on forever?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Want to watch Archive 81, but now I read they made the main character who was lesbian in the podcast straight in the Netflix adaptation. Not sure I can watch it without a bit of guilty conscience.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chas McGill posted:

Enjoying Archive 81 so far. Minor spoiler for the early episodes - does anyone think that the demon face in the static looks kinda cheesy and undermines a lot of the good work the show does in establishing a creepy atmosphere?

Yes and it's not the last time something like that undermines it either. (Just finished ep 4)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 17, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
If you're a fan of pretty much all the MCU stuff, you'll like Eternals. If you aren't a fan of MCU stuff or superhero movies anymore, you'll probably watch Eternals anyway so you can complain about it in this thread.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Oh my god another cliche tarot card reading where the last card is death. Can scriptwriters please be original for once? Maybe even have the last one be a non-tarot card? Bonus points if it's Charizard.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Hate to break it to you, but in tarot reading the Charizard means death.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently they have a plan for 5 seasons.

It's on Showtime, so it will run for a minimum of 8 seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ymgve posted:

Oh my god another cliche tarot card reading where the last card is death. Can scriptwriters please be original for once? Maybe even have the last one be a non-tarot card? Bonus points if it's Charizard.

that double annoys me because Death isn't even a bad card to get it doesn't literally mean Death it just means an ending which usually means a new beginning UGH!!!!!!

come to my TEDX talk on how reading tarot is a quantum act

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sock The Great posted:

It's on Showtime, so it will run for a minimum of 8 seasons.

Yellowjackets is also the first watchable show that Showtime has had since Twin Peaks The Return, so hopefully they learn their lesson and let the showrunners do as they please with the length.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
stupid Archive 81 prediction: The sinister company isn't really interested in the occult at all, they are just the insurers of the building and want to find any evidence that the fire was arson so they don't have to pay out insurance

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I watched Archive81, but I'm a little bit disappointed It never went the full body horror direction the podcast went. Although, I do sort of understand why it didn't actually go to another world because I don't see it getting the budget for that. I did end up enjoying it though, and hope Netflix greenlits another season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently Netflix added The Door into Summer a few weeks ago. Really faithful japanese adaptation of the Heinlein book. Being that's faithful to a book from the 50s it has a upbeat good in man attitude to it but the changes they did made were to the gender dynamics so it actually works better than the original.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

that double annoys me because Death isn't even a bad card to get it doesn't literally mean Death it just means an ending which usually means a new beginning UGH!!!!!!

come to my TEDX talk on how reading tarot is a quantum act

Yeah that's usually the kicker to the whole Tarot Card Reading Scene in the horror movie after the main character gets freaked out.

I marathoned the show but I didn't really enjoy it. Could've done a lot more with the not-Cthulhu (who went to the same statue sculptor) time god.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked it overall, but there's a scene where one of the technicians is looking at a screen and says, "those are dinosaurs. We are actually looking at dinosaurs." And I realized I wanted a show about that, but no, the show wants you to Feel Bad About the Time Camera so it's about all the horrible things surrounding it. Granted I'm bad at watching things, but I didn't even really get why Jack's boss from Fight Club wanted to kill everyone.

Just finished the story. Still didn’t like the lead all the way through but ultimately I liked the concept overall. Could have been shorter.

I loved the idea that actively completely a full simulation of the universe means that… oops now you have the powerful simulation quantum computer now simulated ad infinitum and could effectively end the world via simulation which is why Stewart tries to destroy it… I think.

As for the spoiler about Jack’s boss - he had a brief convo with Forest and Katie where he made it clear he wasn’t going to prison for them and would do whatever was in his best interest if he felt threatened. Then he saw Lily Chan and Jamie at Forest’s house at night and it cuts to him and he says “so you’re all in it together huh.” And decides he’s being had (incorrectly) and will snuff everyone out instead.

Also I discovered that Lyndon - the teenage boy - is played by a female actress. Not b/c the character is trans but apparently Garland wanted to sort of… bypass? The restrictions of having a youth on set by casting an over 18 female that looked like a boy?

Weird.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turambar posted:

I watched the Netflix movie Love and Monsters yesterday. I think it would fit the bill.

FYI Only on non-US Netflix. In the US it’s on Hulu.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Good summary of Yellowjackets season 1

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ymgve posted:

Want to watch Archive 81, but now I read they made the main character who was lesbian in the podcast straight in the Netflix adaptation. Not sure I can watch it without a bit of guilty conscience.

Why? It is only really relevant in like 1 scene. And then it gets thrown out of a window.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Better call Saul. I mean I love that show but it’s a drat tease

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I got into Columbo recently and I've never seen a show that is so repetitive and yet so consistently entertaining within the same formula episode after episode. Columbo pretty much does the same thing every episode but I'll be damned if I don't want to see him do it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Collateral posted:

Why? It is only really relevant in like 1 scene. And then it gets thrown out of a window.

You're confused why someone would be upset about LGBT+ erasure...?