Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Eh I mean, there ARE times where gender can be specified in Japanese, and we've had a good number of chapters by now. I'd be curious to see if their gender has been mentioned elsewhere in the original Japanese aside from the first chapter's "brother" or not.
Yeah, me too. I think the original question was a good one and I'm interested if anyone else has been paying attention to the raws or anything that might shed more light on the situation. Jodio was being presented as kind of oblivious when introducing Dragona, so it's not like that one mention can be taken as totally authoritative.

Bisse posted:

So the one time his gender was ever mentioned it was Male, wow that sounds really ambiguous, thanks for deepening the mystery.
Come on. You were saying the pronoun use was evidence it was settled, when there was in fact only one piece of evidence ever. The case is weaker than you thought. Who cares? Why the defensiveness?

I didn't even say it was ambiguous in my post. I just called out the translator-added pronouns as not being evidence like you claimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Dragona was stated to have gotten chest injections and uses Atashi as a pronoun (which is usually feminine) but they have been referred as Aniki in most promotional material.

Either he's just into feminine looks but still identifies as a guy or she's trans and Jodio doesn't fully get it so he still calls Dragona big bro.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Dragona pushing femboy technology to it's absolute limits is a fair read on the character too tbf, they're clearly doing gender regardless of their pronouns

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I'm just rereading some jojolands in anticipation for the next chapter, something I didn't tend to do very much during the release of jojolion, which really tells me how much I'm digging this part. I have a feeling it might be my #1 but I'm not willing to call it until I'm old and gray and the part has finished (and araki will look exactly the same)

One of the sites I've read it on has cropped jojo yaoi randomly interspersed which always throws me for a loop when I inevitably forget that website likes to pull that gag

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Dragona was stated to have gotten chest injections and uses Atashi as a pronoun (which is usually feminine) but they have been referred as Aniki in most promotional material.

Either he's just into feminine looks but still identifies as a guy or she's trans and Jodio doesn't fully get it so he still calls Dragona big bro.

I've seen "aniki" used to refer to women with seniority in criminal organizations in other manga (and most certainly for men) but I have no idea if that is the norm! I don't speak this language! I figured that's what the "big bro" translation was representing, too, and assumed it wasn't actually intended to be a gendered term in this context. I am probably wrong, though. Maybe. Actually, no, I'm probably right and if you disagree with me you are, in fact, wrong. It's so great being right all the time.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Bisse posted:

So the one time his gender was ever mentioned it was Male, wow that sounds really ambiguous, thanks for deepening the mystery.

it's so unambiguous that every translation group deliberately stopped using pronouns pending extratextual confirmation one way or the other

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
There's undeniably Gender happening and it's definitely not unreasonable to theorize that the gender is woman-whose-brother-hasn't-figured-it-out-yet with the evidence we have right now. The mention of injections makes me lean that way, even if that might not be the intent.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Dragona's just Dragona, and it's cool that way. Makes it a bit harder to write about them, but I don't think there needs to be some definite answer about their gender identity.

Usagi is the type of character I would normally hate, but the scenarios have done a really good job selling me on him. His interactions with Dragona have let both of them show multiple sides of their personalities rather than just being pigeonholed into their roles as the goofy one and the mature one. Paco is also kicking all kinds of rear end and he didn't even have to do anything this chapter. Jodio's personality wasn't quite as focused on this time, but he got to do something rad in a fight.

Waiting for a chapter monthly is hell, but Part 9 has been really good so far.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It is nice that Usagi is more than just an oddball, he's shown himself to hold up really well in dire situations, making good judgement calls and mature decisions. He and Dragona seem to be the brains of the group so far.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jojolands Ch.12!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Extremely grateful for Araki not giving us the more real experience of being at an airport as a trans woman

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
"Charmingman? That's a name?"

oh now we're addressing weird names in Jojo?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

yet again a jojolands chapter ends way too soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Charmingman? That's a name?"

oh now we're addressing weird names in Jojo?

Sam, it's me, Charmingman.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Very few people know this but the Smiths were huge in Hawaii and there are hundreds of thousands of people named Charmingman in the state as a result.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Very few people know this but the Smiths were huge in Hawaii and there are hundreds of thousands of people named Charmingman in the state as a result.

Guess it could be worse. Could be a lot of people named "Morrissey" instead.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Good chapter! Felt kinda short, but then again so does every other monthly Jojo chapter.

I wonder if the lava tubes are a Devil’s Palm or something like it? At first I thought they were going to use it to explain how Charmingman (lol) got his stand, but his comment to the policeman about always having corse skin makes it sound like maybe he was born with it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lava Tubes is Wall Eyes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's refreshing to see that Meryl Mei seems to actually be a good boss. She gives everyone a decent cut and let them keep the stuff they stole. And when she realizes their mission went too smoothly for the amount of time they stayed in Hawaii, she even asks everyone to come clean to her now before poo poo really hits the fan and they have to beg her to bail them out. I hope she remains on their side because it's refreshing to have a crime boss who looks out for her underlings.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm getting vague Polpo vibes from her, so I wouldn't be surprised if she turns on them. It would be interesting to see how she's used if she doesn't wind up being a villain, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is the Polpo vibe just because she's large

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, she hasn't turned into a bed yet, so she's not that large.

It was more because of the whole "older figure running a crime ring of scrappy teenagers" angle reminded me of Bruno's gang at the start of Vento Aureo. Also, towards the end, she starts getting a lot more shading on her face while giving some hard stares which gave kind of a sinister vibe.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It was more because of the whole "older figure running a crime ring of scrappy teenagers" angle reminded me of Bruno's gang at the start of Vento Aureo. Also, towards the end, she starts getting a lot more shading on her face while giving some hard stares which gave kind of a sinister vibe.

She's a school principal remember, those vibes just come with the job.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

amigolupus posted:

It's refreshing to see that Meryl Mei seems to actually be a good boss. She gives everyone a decent cut and let them keep the stuff they stole. And when she realizes their mission went too smoothly for the amount of time they stayed in Hawaii, she even asks everyone to come clean to her now before poo poo really hits the fan and they have to beg her to bail them out. I hope she remains on their side because it's refreshing to have a crime boss who looks out for her underlings.

I hope she stays cool. Also I like that I recognize many places in this series so far.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well that was an intro. I assumed I missed a chapter, but nope, that really is the transition. Okay then Araki.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That reminds me it's nice of Jodio to ask Charmingman what music he listens to.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

When you recruit someone into your party, it's good to learn about their vibes right? And honestly I find it so charming that music's becoming much more relevant in Jojo, such as Daiya's love for Yes.
It's been said before but I really enjoy the cast's dynamic a lot. This has felt to me the most energetic group dynamic that we had since Golden Wind (And arguably SBR, though that's more of a dynamic duo than a group ensemble)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

That reminds me it's nice of Jodio to ask Charmingman what music he listens to.

That proves Jodio's smart, he's avoiding a Trish situation where someone may not want to help their newest friend because they don't know what his favourite music is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jodio will save Charmingman specifically because he listens to H.E.R.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did you guys know 7th Stand User got a modded version that removes the random battles in favor of Earthbound-style enemies on the map? Because I didn't. Makes that game a thousand times better.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
That's what it's always been, hasn't it? Am I just mandela effecting here?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No yeah that's how it always was.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What? No there were random battles too. That's the whole problem with replaying the game, the encounter rate made it a slog.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Oh, like the assassin attacks? I don't feel like those were that common tbh, but maybe I'm just looking back at it with rose tinted glasses. I always ended up fighting the overworld enemies way more

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All of the enemies being on the overworld instead of that AND random battles sounds more tolerable.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://twitter.com/franck_sabatier/status/1761115438853816611?t=GdX7snAntsIMYZ4p1xUtfg&s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Isn't that just a Chicken Parm?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

NO THE CHIZZA™ IS BETTER

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Chizza probably isn't friends with Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kentucky is majority republican so gonna have to throw some doubt on that statement