Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

TheLoneStar posted:

For me it's the Metallica fight, at least for Part 5. Doppio's Stand having basically zero combative abilities really made for an interesting battle.

The Metallica fight rules but it also means that Narancia is Diavolos MVP. Congratulations on getting yourself indirectly killed, kid.

Haven't read much of part 6 yet but I have a general idea of the story and the ending. Doesn't Whitesnake (and by extension MiH) feel too convenient? From what I know of 6 it feels like Araki wasn't sure how he'd deal with Star Platinum and his solution was to steal it (which feels more bullshit than someone who's just hard to punch) and then end by making an exceptionally overpowered stand. I don't really have a problem with switching universes but it just feels like he powerscaled himself into actually needing a reset when it could've been solved another way. I might just be salty about almost everyone dying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I think they say that the bullet curved through his forehead and went out of the top of his skull. Non lethally, of course.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

a typo?

or are you objecting to mentioning the name of the part?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not exactly looking forward to everyone dying. While I haven't read the entire manga it seems like the ending will be sour. Feels a bit like they could've just shot Jolyne and Jotaro in the head in the beginning and moved on to SBR.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

JuniperCake posted:

I agree with this. Especially with the story's focus on fate, there's an implication that fate will always bring Jolyne/Irene and crew together so they'll always be friends regardless of the world. Outside of Pucci screwing with the natural order of things and all that. So that's kinda a nice note to end on.

FF got a raw deal for sure though.

Sure, but they're still dead. If I get murdered I'm not exactly consoled by the thought of a clone of me having a nice life.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Schwarzwald posted:

Jolyne 100% dies and stays dead but the conclusion is hella cathartic because the story is about escaping prison and fate (which is a prison) and in the end they do.

In that case getting shot in the head by Johngalli A is escaping too. I'm also not happy about Jotaro having a pretty poo poo life and then he gets murdered along with his daughter by one of Dios million boyfriends. It makes part 6 feel like part 2 of Death Note to Stardust Crusaders part 1.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It almost raises the question of what the point of defeating Dio was. Sure, that version of events would be even worse but knowing how it ends makes me like Jolyne and co less. It's all going in the dumpster anyway. Outside of the obvious things (Alessi, other creep poo poo) I usually don't have a problem with Arakis writing but here I feel he just hosed it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I get not liking the ending or finding it divisive, but I wouldn't say everything is in the dumpster. It's not like Pucci wins.

I will admit that it's disappointing this is the final battle and the Duwang Gang and Gangstars aren't present. Also, the only female protagonist gets killed.

Sure, but killing nearly everyone that appears in the part that I give a poo poo about and then moving to another universe is drat close to the dumpster. Jolyne fails. Jotaro fails. I get that being mad about stand powers is mostly pointless but Whitesnake feels really contrived. Pucci almost wins...because he's so bullshit he had to. gently caress Dio, Pucci could've had him as a goon.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

actually we see the new universe for 3 pages plus two more parts!!
:goonsay:

I'm gonna :goonsay: right back and say that isn't SBR and part 8 specifically not that universe?

The result does matter. Part 5 would be better with a more coherent ending. It's made worse by that not being the case. Pucci tripping on the finish line is good but I don't think part 3 would be improved by Jotaro and Joseph dying at the same time as Dio. Technically, that's a win but it would feel hollow.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 5, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, it's a sad end for our friends, but they still gave their lives for a better future and managed to succeed. They weren't able to wrap everything up neatly, but their actions still mattered.

Did they succeed though? At what point is your victory so pyrrhic that not fighting would be a better option?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I can't separate dying from failure. Near failure at least. Congratulations to alternative Jolyne I guess but the character I knew got murdered. Jotaro also got robbed.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Stand escalation could be a thing the series deals with but Araki could've also just not written a stand that restarts the universe.

You could say that part 6 has a deeper ending than part 3 but it's also likely true that less people have the opinion that the part 3 ending sucks. I'm very partial to a happy ending though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not sure silver chariot being really weird is thematic but otherwise I agree.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It was pretty weird to have part 5 end with 2 people dying and then cutting to them being alive again and loving around. I'm not a huge fan of them being destined to die either. I don't mind the arc but it feels oddly timed in the story as a whole.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Having characters you like rewritten to be some douche with no powers doesn't make me like them more. Sure, their average life I know nothing about might've been better than losing friends and family to supernatural bullshit but that's not why I like them.

I reject fate as a explanation because fate means Arakis writing. Pucci could've been less bullshit and the story would be less bleak for it.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 8, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'll remember the parts of the story Araki doesn't mess up, sure.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway I like Sleeping Slaves and what it's going for even if I think it doesn't work all too well as an ending and definitely doesn't really do anything to add to how the King Crimson fight just kinda blows.

It'd help if they actually fought King Crimson. Bruno and Risotto going up against Diavolo owns but the final feels like Araki wanted to do a soul swap thing and didn't know where else to put it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

KC can only see a possible future so you devise a situation he can't get out of. Lock him in a strong enough cage and he can't zip out of it if it takes more than 10 seconds to do so.

You'd have to write a combination attack that solves that problem which is difficult but not impossible. Or you hope Diavolo kills Narancia at the beach instead in which case Risotto does their job for them.

Also Polnareff had years to think about it and he didn't bring a watch, timer of any sort or an hourglass?

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's more consistent then most people think.

I watched part 5 fairly recently and I didn't think it was that complicated. I know it's meme but still. Gold experience is the bigger mess by far

Or you solve all of this with Diavolo being smart enough to use a drat condom. He was indirectly beaten by his own dick.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 8, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Diavolo needs Epitaph to properly use King Crimson otherwise he's just as lost as anyone else after the time skip, right?

Cause that would be funny as hell to see him try bumble through the time skip and hoping that he did what he needed to in the past 10 seconds.

Without epitaph it's potentially a huge liability since he could skip into a lethal situation. Neat idea but KC is almost useless without future sight.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

He'll see the cage. You have to trick him into thinking he'll win with a move and not realize he'll lose, which takes a weird counter stand that does something wacky that throws off Epitaphs vision. That's how Giorno got the arrow, although it was kind of confusing.

Sure, the cage should be more metaphorical than I said. My point is that his future sight isn't unbeatable if you can get him in a situation there is no getting out of. What that would involve and still be a good fight I'll leave to someone who's actually a writer.

I don't mind gold experience even if it kind of does whatever. It has very strong hand squirrel DNA which automatically makes me a fan. The way Polpo gets murdered is so fantastically stupid and great as well. Why does peeling a banana and taking a bite convert to pulling the trigger of a gun? Who knows, who cares.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

Star Platinum is the "strongest" Stand; Jotaro just wants to put people out of commission/make them suffer/whatever.

Diavolo is typically just TOO paranoid which matches his Epitaph part of his Stand and is his entire schtick - if he thinks there's the slightest bit of uncertainty, he just stays hidden and won't attack which goes hand in hand with his precog. Remember when he first appeared, he stayed away from Giorno because he had no idea what his Stand did and didn't want to risk anything at all.

He's actually a hard counter for Star Platinum because he would just jump ahead of Jotaro activating the timestop (from his perspective, he'd see himself get ORAed 10 seconds in the future and skip it and go somewhere else), but funnily, he'd probably lose to DIO because his whole "punch through people" attack wouldn't work on DIO and would probably get him killed.

Punching clean through Dio would put him out of commission for a while since his body still mostly works as normal. It's pretty hard to move when you're missing a good chunk of your spine. Jotaro would eat poo poo though unless he really pushed his timestop way longer than he otherwise does.

My main problem with KC is that it looks kind of goofy with its forehead face. The scene with Bruno really sells the terror of fighting basically The World but better but its appearance doesn't really back it up.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah, it's really weird how DIO is all "Haha, I'm stronger than I've ever been before.", but he is able to take less hits in his super mode than he was beforehand. :v:

The man was an arrogance elemental. He could've easily beaten Jotaro if he didn't monologue for the majority of his stopped time. It's a good thing for him vampires have perfect body control since that's probably the only way to shove your head up your own rear end that far.

That's one of my favorite things with the Dio fight. He'll talk for 20 seconds and then exclaim "3 seconds have passed!" No they loving haven't. Times 5, maybe. It's the extreme version of every character being able to think 100 words during a punch.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It would make difference how long he made his time stop. Diavolo would suddenly see himself having gotten his rear end kicked, or with a hole in his chest if he was fighting DIO, and just skip past that event and postion himself behind Jotaro or DIO and attack them.

Yes he would see it happen in the future and then skip past it, it's a pretty hard counter.

Diavolos future sight is 10 seconds, right? If someone could stop time for longer than that he'd just cut to the last second or two of the timestop and get owned.

If you put Diavolo in a sufficiently large building that's on fire he couldn't skip getting burned either since he can't get out in 10 seconds.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I enjoy how his name should be John Gallia but no, that's too easy. One way to avoid lawyers.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kira got lucky that his cat stand has a stomach hole made to fit a cat plant stand.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

Seems like Araki's solution was to just have him stop doing that.

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It sounds a lot better when you shout it out loud like an actual JoJo character.

That goes for basically any phrase. Put enough emphasis behind it and you can get away with anything.

rko posted:

you can read it for free on the internet in the language we’re communicating in now, so it turns out it’s very easy to develop a more informed opinion regarding the cool stand you’re wrong about.

I don't need to read the part to have an opinion on a name. All I'm talking about is the name itself.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 10, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Darko posted:

Nah, nothing named after a Prince song is bad. Plus it's pretty much his first single and makes me think of the song every time he says it, so its cool.

Nothing against Prince but as a stand name it doesn't sound the least bit imposing.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't know that Avdol is particularly lethal. His fire seems to work like rope half the time. It's hard to write a good fight for a lethal long range stand. At least Star Platinum or Silver Chariot has to get close but Avdol can just point at you.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Hol horse and Polnareff should work on making a gunblade stand.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There's someone out there with a Stand named [GARY GLITTER] wishing the arrow had just killed them instead.

This is just Alessi again.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I have no idea who that is but she looks cool.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Just finished SBR. That's some really good JoJo.

I don't know what the gently caress that part of tubular bells was though :yikes:.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Gyro owns, he's as good as Bruno even if Bruno is more of a replacement Jojo than a Jobro.

Valentine is pretty good and his stand is interesting. I still prefer the charisma of Dio but I appreciate his weird napkin rant. Sweet scars.

Magenta turning into stupid Kars is also funny. "Dio will save me!" Suure buddy :lmao:

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't appreciate most characters turning into sexcriminals at the sight of a 14 year old :sigh:

Mountain Tim is a good character with a good, simple stand but ugh. At least it's more of a weird white knight thing instead of what comes later. Turns out both the president and his wife are hosed in the head. What a surprise!

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 18, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Been rereading SBR myself, and yeah, uh, that part was even worse than I remembered (the lead up with the First Lady was also a big yikes that the Valentine stuff had overshadowed in my mind).

The Sandman fight beforehand has some of the best drawn panels in all of JoJo imo.

The first lady is so over the top that it's almost funny but still, no thanks.

And yeah the art is insane.

There's so many fantastic stand fights.

Tubular bells is a great fight and I find the users confidence in his stand funny because of how ridiculous it is even if it is very powerful. I wonder how long it took him to learn that he could make balloon animals?

Hell, didn't he invent balloon animals?

Sandman is also great and its very thematic that the Native Americans last hope (however remote) is crushed over a deal with the US government.

Pretty much everyone in SBR dies.

And it works so much better than in Stone Ocean!

Gyros dad is presumably the only male Zeppeli to live into his 50s. HP is basically one of two Jobros and "guilty" of a rather heinous act so she's out. The rest of the characters are enemy stand users except for the Steels and Mountain Tim.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 19, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Torquemadras posted:

Just

Overly

Jacked

Ostentatious

Lads

and

stands

bobjr posted:

Sandman is great because they’re introduced as a somewhat major character only to disappear then die.

They're a bit like Dot Han who suddenly reappears in the story just to instantly die. The part even opens on Sandman!

Oh yeah, what's up with Valentines weird noise he makes after slamming the door on the beestung guard? Is it supposed to be a yawn or an odd celebration?

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 19, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Can't wait for more instances of "it's cool bro I made a snake"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Or bread eating snake.