Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

My theory is that Araki learned that Christianity existed mid-way through Vento Aureo and spent all his energy between then and the end of Steel Ball Run to work Jesus into his weird punch ghost comic.

As much as I love talking about JoJo theory, an absolutely tremendous amount of Araki's writing basically boils down to "I learned/did a thing last week" and I'm guessing his editor gets a lot of very excited voicemails at very wierd hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the other end of this phenoemon is poo poo like "Rohan at the Louvre," for which Araki was hired to make something explicitly about The Louvre, included it in one panel, and then just went off and made the story about killer shadow bugs because that's where his mind was at.

I've never read the full Gucci stuff but I can only assume somebody mentions "Gucci" once and the rest of it is something completely unrelated.

*edit* jesus christ im giggling like an idiot at the Paul poo poo

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 14, 2020

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Emporio is okay but Jolyne not getting her finale to shine in the way the rest of the Jojos do (besides Johnathan I guess??? But part 1 is the weakest so) really takes all the catharsis out of it. Especially with how loving much Pucci deserved the comeuppance. It coming from Emprio and Weather is just...okay, whatever.

I always read it as kind of exposing Pucci's hypocrisy and vanity, with some of the religious trappings from part 5 too. Jesus' teachings like "the meek shall inherit the earth" and "suffer the little children" etc etc are fundamentally opposed to Pucci's vision of power, so having an actual kid end him through what seems like divine luck and turning Made in Heaven's ability against him is very fitting. It's the one thing Pucci can't see coming, and thats why he deserves it.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 6, 2021

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Most of the Jojo final fights feature an almost divine amount of luck on the part of the heroes and/or accidental self-sabotage by the villains anyway, so it's not as if part 6 is all alone in this.

The notable exception being when Dio dies because he gets punched in the knee too hard, which is a pretty dumb ending to an otherwise great fight. Joylene (or anyone) beating Pucci because they just did a regular fight but somehow better would be a very underwhelming ending.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 6, 2021

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would appreciate a cameo from an armless Avdol and Iggy's rear end in the new universe.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ok so the next Rohan one shot is gonna be about an evil vibrating chair

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Going to be mad if I don't at least get a Boingo cameo

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is the live-action Rohan going to be a full 90 minute movie because Rohan at the Louvre, while cool, barely has enough content for a 30-minute episode of something much less an actual factual movie

Also who's the dude actually playing Rohan and does he have any experience playing crazy assholes?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress that's right I forgot they'd already done live action Rohan. Is the show any good?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Seems like Araki really took complaints about part 8's length and pacing to heart considering this one introduces the core cast, their stands, and a concrete end goal in the first chapter alone.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh my loving god I was not prepared for this, how is this part already so good ahhhhhhhh

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

I bet whatever the deal is with the lava rocks is related to Pele's Curse. When Jodio took the rock from Rohan, the diamond stopped teleporting back into Rohan's hands. Does the lava rock prevent things from being stolen from whoever possesses the lava rock? If that's the case, then that's the mechanism for how Jodio becomes filthy rich, he steals but can't be stolen from.

If this is true, then it's almost certainly going to cause conflict among the group depending on how strict the rules are. Jodio might even end up accidentally stealing from his crew or boss if he doesn't quickly figure out what's going on.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So that stand's definitely going to be called Cat's in the Cradle, right?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

I'm not entirely sure what Paco did there, but drat it's cool as gently caress

It's like Hamon martial arts combined with some pillarmen body horror

Did he actually grab the blade, punch his own arm, and send shockwaves through the blade into the enemy's arm?

Because, drat

Yeah since he can harden or soften himself at will he can pass impact along his body

The Hustle kinda feels like Sticky Fingers or Crazy Diamond in that with enough creativity Araki could make it do practically anything and have it feel reasonable

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also I was not expecting November rain to be blue but I really love the colors, it works nicely with the powerset

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I know Araki's always liked melodrama but it's rare to see this kind of sexualised violence.

Going to disagree with you there, Araki loves putting women in wierd lurid sexual danger even if they're almost always saved at the last second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Haha, I forgot I wanted to make this point too. One of the funniest loving things in Jojo's ever when Meryl says for them not to do anything that would cause witnesses to remember them. Stand Users in Jojo's are like the 100% most witness-able people. You've got mf'ingTingle, a guy with heavy face tattoos combined with a low cut shirt showing more tattoos and a big bow, and Dragona in like a one-piece bathing suit, a huge D patch, and a circlet of flowers. Yeah, those guys will fit right in at the land registry office.

I love it anytime the heroes need to figure out Who's the Stand User and are unable to pinpoint the one guy in the crowd of normies who looks like a clown on meth. It's that guy! You know it's that guy because he dresses like you!