Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Patware posted:

Now Fun Fun Fun is back in the mix?? What is HAPPENING

That's the guy Kira hassled into biting his own fingers off. But uhh, possibly??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The torture dance was very good, but I feel like that's an exception that proves my point. For one, in the manga it's a set of panels all shown from the same perspective that's designed to show choreography, so it's uniquely suited to being adapted into animation. For another, the anmation expanded upon the manga panels significantly, that is, they went farther in adapting it. It shows that the anime can be quite good when they actually take liberties with the material, so what a shame they don't do that more often!

Compare that with the Thankful Dead episodes. Any given scene from them looks like a direct copy from a manga panel, only in place of the dynamic panel layout they have speed lines and graphical effects -- and while the graphical effects can be great, they're not so great that they make up for the fact that there basically isn't any animation.

This ties into your praise for the VA's and performances and such. You're correct that they're great, but that doesn't make it a good anime, it makes it a good audio drama.

Yeah, Grateful Dead(and Notorious) is where I feel what you're saying the hardest. Bruno's bits were mostly good, but the scene he unzips himself really let me down. They even left out the sfx!

Otoh, I loved Giorno and Mista's pistol pose. The editing coulda been snappier, maybe, but the camerawork and hold on the pose for a tic was rad, I literally cheered.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Giorno's a good boy

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It was hard to really gel w this fight in the manga, too much happens and then has to be explained all at once, but the performances and execution gave it a lot of great new life and a sense of stakes. Keeping track of the different players and their abilities was actually p easy. Up until all the really WUT stuff starts happening, but that stuff is why I love this fight. It's basically Araki's dress rehearsal for the crazy endings he'd write in 6 and 7.

Requiem is really less a fight(up till the very end) and more a literal footrace between Good and Evil to grasp a shot a victory as the world tears itself apart. Stands have always had a real menace to them, and since part 4 the Arrow has been developed as this unknowable, impartial force w great potential for mayhem. And well, poo poo, now it may as well have its own Stand and is changing the laws of nature around it just to keep people away. Diavolo is a confirmed monster to the core, uncaring about the human race, his daughter, his own body, his own soul or even his other, much more likeable soul(RIP Doppio). And well, poo poo, now he's just inside one of their minds now. That's scary as poo poo. The fear of it threatens to destroy the heroes' iron determination and strength as a team.

And the only thing standing in his way from domination over existence aren't Jotaro and the SPW, who have no clue any of this is happening, but a pack of street rat mobsters, including his own kid who's sick of his poo poo, a guy who may as well be the son of the devil and a capo literally too rad to die.

Golden Wind owns.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Even after watching it in motion I'm still not entirely clear about Rolling Stones. There was no reason for Mista to freak out so much over Bruno touching it, right? Rolling Stones doesn't actually do anything? It just predicts your death?

My reading of it is that touching the rock would somehow psychically clue Bruno in on when and how he would die, and super-compel him to suicide or something.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

multijoe posted:

Actually knowing your fate and eventual death grants you peace and allows you to accept death contentedly, god it's like you didn't read Stone Ocean at all

(for reals though there's no way Bruno would take the easy way out when his crew is depending on him, his entire arc is about any and all amounts of poo poo to save his dudes)

There's no way he would NOW, Mista saved him(while dooming two more of them in the process).

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I don't really have any problems w Diavolo(or Giorno ftm) aside from the simple fact he's more interesting to analyze as a character than he is fun to watch, necessarily. I like him a lot. His design owns, Doppio and their dynamic together owns, his movements affect the direction of the plot moreso than DIO or Kira, and his power feels legit unfightable to the point that I respect Araki for sticking to his guns on "King Crimson is invincible, our only way to even maybe have a shot is to break the world and hope for a bullshit checkmate" cuz what it gave us is basically a visually wild dress rehearsal for even better ideas brought up in Made in Heaven and Ticket to Ride, fights against Stands w even wilder, more unbeatable powers.

But I mean, you can spend lots of words on what Diavolo's whole deal is, at the end of the day, he's basically just a right bastard. Cowardly yet arrogant w a god complex, and DIO and Kira are both more nuanced expressions of that, tho some of that's by design.

Pucci's funny, but if it weren't for his backstory and the ending, he'd easily be the villain who made the least of an impression on me.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Black August posted:

After seeing all of King Crimson's deal in manga and anime, I always felt it would have worked way better as a horror Stand - have it so even Diavolo can't remember what he does or what happens in erased time. Make every skip sudden and cutting to some horrible outcome. Don't give it a defined time limit either. Maybe it skips 2 seconds, maybe it skips a whole minute, and Diavolo only uses it sparingly since he'll have no idea what he did or where he'll end up after erasing time. Epitaph only tells him so much, the rest has to be inferred from what's seen after the skip. Actually seeing inside erased time and how it works should be left for the very end.

Ehhhh. Diavolo only works as a character bc he's in complete control of his fate. The moment he lost control, or rather, the moment his control over it ceased to matter, is the moment he loses everything. A big bad being afraid of his own drat Stand could maybe be interesting, but Diavolo doing that would just muddy the whole theme.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oh hey, Norisuke's alive(?)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

GER is just the Hand of God saying "lol nope, yer fate sucks, bro. Changing it." The ironic punishment it hands down to Diavolo is fuckin' perfect imo, and I dpn't mind how ludicrous it is when the characters had to break the whole world around for even one of them to have a shot at getting it.

Requiem haters are just never gonna get that there was never gonna be a "real" final battle (whatever that means) against KC cuz KC is established from the beginning as unbattleable. JoJo says a lot of its villains are invincible, sure, but it's just so funny how we have all this Araki Forgot talk about so many other things, yet what makes nerds pressed the most to this day is Araki sticking to his guns on "No, you can't fight him. Either outbs his bs, or run away." Ideas like "well, what if fsr the boss was afraid of his own stand" or "what if they fought Doppio" aregoofy bc they wouldn't add anything to the main themes at work, hell, they'd take away everything. Pt 5 only works period cuz Diavolo is(or thinks he is) a literal master of his own fate to the point his dominion over life in Italy is practically divine or unholy in nature, and he only loses cuz a bunch of street rats noone cares about have to literally break the material and immaterial laws of the world around them, to the extent of replacing the human race w something else if that's what it takes, for even one last little shot at rebelling against a fate where evil monsters like Diavolo ruling over all w fear and murder is just the way the world works.

And they succeed. I don't care what the haters say, that's a goddamn beautiful note for this kind of story to end on and I wouldn't change a thing about the ending.

Well, maybe give Trish a lil more to do in the lead-up. Eh.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Trish calls Diavolo a little bitch which is how he ended up rushing headfirst into GER.

I mean in the fights before Requiem Plays Quietly. I think Requiem makes p good use of all the different players involved.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hatty posted:

There’s no toilet in the turtle

His final, and greatest wish.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, they kept saying that King Crimson was untouchable and invincible and could never be fought (if it was just Diavolo it'd be less annoying, since villain hubris and all but it was like everyone so you were meant to believe it), but showed that it was... very possible and actually kinda relatively easy. Even during the Requiem battle, Giorno was able to outsmart and outmaneuver him before making GER to boot.

"Relatively easy" is a funny way of putting a pair of encounters where one guy nearly died and only came up w a counterattack after nearly 20 years of hiding, and the other actually died(But Bruno is Bruno and tbf his power was also stupid broken in a lotta ways.) Figuring out what KC even just did to you requires enduring tremendous sacrifice.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Black August posted:

Give Rock Lee A Stand

Rock's Stands are his training cuffs and he's stronger wo them.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It'd be great if this weird bs going on w Tsurugi is just a particularly lovely and/or broken Requiem stand awakening.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Now I'm imagining King Crimson except it just doesn't work.

"Haha, you think you'll shoot me? Baka, noone will threaten my eternal throne."

*uses stand* *has now been shot eight times in all of the 8 heads he now has*

"!!"

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Interested how the svelter modern incarnations of the Crusaders would look now drawn big again, but how Araki drew the guy from The Run in particular.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yeah, this is that good crazy. That panel of what'shisface and a few other rock people(new enemies?) approaching the town from the woods had some real Titan energy, just something vaguely disturbing about it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Everybody talks about how Bruno got the cooler fights, but I feel like his conflict with Diavolo helps, too. It's true that Diavolo not caring about the human cost of obtaining his goal stands in contrast to Giorno appreciating the sacrifices other people make for him and his dream, but nothing about that conflict felt as immediate and gutting as Bruno attempting to comfort Trish about her new life with her father, only for said father to leave her dismembered hand in Bruno's grasp.

Bruno being the one to make the call to turn on the Boss was deliberate and neccesary, making that moment about his life and his choices helps JoJo avoid feeling like Giorno was the one who did everything and tricked everybody

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gold Experience was just a God stand. Creating life is plainly God poo poo. You either accept that very early or ya don't.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Part 5, where I learned to stop stressin about the rules and learned to love the [R E S O L V E.]

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Imo, the only weak fight in the whole thing is Babyface, which was arguably better in the manga. I enjoyed the added emphasis on Babyface becoming(and losing bc he was) a shithead teenager stand who tells his "dad" to shut the gently caress up.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's funny how common it is to interpet Girono as the Johnathan to Diavolo's Dio when I always read the analogue as the opposite, Giorno being the beautiful Blonde intruder who infiltrates the Boss' station, breaks his poo poo, turns his family against him and ultimately usurps his throne. And GioGio didn't have to murder anyone's pet to do it(unless you count Doppio.)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Agree.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Giorno is good. His bananagun was good. Bricksnake owns actually. That pose w him and Mista in Green Day is iconic. He loves his friends. I love that they have to break the whole world practically just to tell guys who sit at the top of the world w all the money and power to gently caress off, and that they pull it off is a gently caress yeah moment.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I think it says alot about GioGio's characterization ppl can have this many readings of him. It's cool. Pt 5's ambiguity works out for it in the long run, gives it a different type of spookiness and atmosphere compared to other arcs.

Pt 5 is in a close tie w 4 for my fave part animated so far. Really don't have many complaints

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Giosus Giones

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

As much as I love talking about JoJo theory, an absolutely tremendous amount of Araki's writing basically boils down to "I learned/did a thing last week" and I'm guessing his editor gets a lot of very excited voicemails at very wierd hours.

A vast majority of all shounen manga and all those manwha crunchyroll adaptations are exactly this energy

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"Umm..." perfectly encapsulates my feelings on this chapter. So, like, were the bubbles coming out of Rai or colliding w him? Wondering if the Spin is how they can "steal" concepts or if it's something new?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I appreciate Tooru taking the initiative to interrupt that, uh, moment. He's been around awhile and I've been totally whatever on him, but his deadpan reactions while observing these goobers is endearing him to me.

Very cool that now Yasuho is the X factor that could change everything, the outsider saves the family, or helps shift their fortunes at least. Very JoJo

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

everything said, i still don't know what the gently caress was up with the weird aliens crawling out of people in part 5's final stretch and i think that's part of why i heavily dislike it

Chariot was running solely on "keep any human being from ever touching the arrow" at that point. "Removing the human race worldwide from the equation" was just a particularly aggro interpretation of that mandate, cuz Requiem be a crazy bitch.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Shhh...[Surf & Turf]...shhh

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Majima IS Kiryu's Stand, he just broke loose, went rogue and is constantly picking fights w his user to make his soul and body stronger. And it works, bc the user always wins.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

This reminds me, what parts are people most excited to see animated? The one two punch of Operation: Savage Garden and this is up there for me.

Everything to do with Pucci, before, during and after prison.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wacky it may be, but Josuke and Yasuho linking their powers like that, plus the actual starsign on his back being at play as a par of it, I dug it visually and in execution a lot. Very on the nose, old school JoJo cool, very "Josuke shooting a shard of glass in the shape of a heart."

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

Giorno rules actually

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

God, what does all of that whole exchange look like to him, a mundane person who can't see Stands? The inscrutable being that stole his dad's face and trapped him in a time loop is commanding the weird plant-animal thing he found in the attic to levitate in mid-air and fire invisible disintegration-missiles at the nice high-school kid who can heal wounds and reverse causality with a touch

It's gotta be killin him inside that he can't tell anyone. Maybe he could sell the story to Rohan for some quick bux, but he'd be cheated out of it somehow.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Rohan was there!

He didn't live the life! Living with a Murder, who is not my dad: an inside story!

Then Rohan will be like, yeah I already uhh just photocopied your pages about that w Heaven's Door's new ability

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I like Dragon's Dream cuz the stand is generally being kind of a dick to everyone involved, also the way it ends. Also, Pucci wouldn't get to hear his sweet jams without that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oof. That ED choice is a perfect heartbreaker if true.