Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Johnny best jojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjwlh5kDV0E

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He looks way cooler in the anime yeah. His hair is like the only barrier now to me liking this weirdo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar posted:

y'all acting like araki couldn't make a stand that gives people headaches one of the most threatening fights in the series somehow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
One must reread part 7 to find out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hato, Mitsuba and Daiya do too

WalKing Heart, AwaKing III Leaves and California King Bed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There's also a playing card theme with the women, Hato, Daiya and Kaato. Heart, Diamond and Card

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That kinda falls apart with Mitsuba and Hato, and only with Mistuba can you say it's because she's only married into the family.

We also don't know what Cato's Stand is or does or is called other than it has some D4C like abilities but for objects

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's still the second part with Mitsuba and Hata. AwaKing and WalKing, instead of starting with King.
I guess? I think of it as still being in the first word of the name i guess

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's absolutely next week, this fight is like 14 chapters and Muda Muda Muda is like at the two thirds mark.

kinda lame that this fight goes Giorno and Mista vs Green Day and then Bruno vs Oasis, rather than be a frantic battle, but I guess that's better than cutting between the two like it's a one piece fight.

We also see Polnareff in some intermixed scenes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lame way of writing yasuho out of the main plot yet again. i hope she gets a fight against her ex who is almost certainly a stand user tho

not knowing what soft and wet was doing yet again

Pootybutt posted:

That's the guy Kira hassled into biting his own fingers off. But uhh, possibly??
Those are the same guy, he just looks a lot tanner than I remember. He has the Fun Fun Fun controlling mark on his chest

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

TBH this I feel a lot of part 5 (and latter part 4) has really failed as, like, an adaption.

A lot of what makes Jojo so good is how it plays with panel layouts, perspectives, and how it uses exposition as a tool to heighten the tension. Often these techniques arn't as effective in an animated format, and so the series suffers from being as literally translated as it is.
i really can't disagree with this less

things like the music, colors and voice acting have increased this series exponentially for me. i agree that some things certainly got lost in translation, but all that doesn't matter to me when we get things like the torture dance, or kira's VA preformance or narancia's crying

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

The torture dance was very good, but I feel like that's an exception that proves my point. For one, in the manga it's a set of panels all shown from the same perspective that's designed to show choreography, so it's uniquely suited to being adapted into animation. For another, the anmation expanded upon the manga panels significantly, that is, they went farther in adapting it. It shows that the anime can be quite good when they actually take liberties with the material, so what a shame they don't do that more often!

Compare that with the Thankful Dead episodes. Any given scene from them looks like a direct copy from a manga panel, only in place of the dynamic panel layout they have speed lines and graphical effects -- and while the graphical effects can be great, they're not so great that they make up for the fact that there basically isn't any animation.

This ties into your praise for the VA's and performances and such. You're correct that they're great, but that doesn't make it a good anime, it makes it a good audio drama.
I do see your point, but I also think of things like the White Album fight, Metallica or Highway Star, where they flex their sakuga muscles more. Outside of that, they've had great shots with Doppio, I've loved how they've done his transformations, and Spice Girl's debut, there's this constant pink filter on everything that I like a lot.

I guess for me, I love the content of JoJo so much, that I just don't mind or don't care. There's been a lot of shots where characters don't have eyes in medium shots, or look really rough in the background, but really this could be One Punch Man Season 2 levels of rushed and I'd still tune in happily every week to finally see something I've wanted to see animated. The fact that we get something way better, on top of fantastic performances and original music makes this one of my favorite adaptations ever probably. It's not that I think it's wrong to want things to be better, I'm just stoked to see JoJo at all

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I will say that I see your point more after watching today's episode lol

It felt a little disjointed and even having read I was a little unsure of what was happening. Bruno and Secco's first exchange felt sloppy and there's a def moment where Mista bends down to get a better shot of Secco where he should've gotten molded. I didn't remember the dialogue between Narancia and Trish and thought that was weird, but that's not really the anime's fault

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just remembered that part 7 ends with johnny marrying a woman with no lines who we've literally never seen before and getting pissed off

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's just weird that johnny x gyro is the biggest ship in jojo that isn't canon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
rip marco, died of polo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the ending of Johnny dragging the most important person in the world to him's corpse onto the boat is cool, I love that he has nothing to say his dad despite the gesture of his dad coming with his brother's boots but then he has to go to japan to get his head crushed by a rock

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
came here to post that lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTlaW8b2akc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbujU9Jp6h0

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they had no problems with metallica so it should be fine

also jolyne's patchy skin when she unspools herself isn't really "gory" as there's no blood.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
death stranding and john wick 3 have prepared me for toenail ripping scenes

hit me with it david

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 6 is absolutely fantastic, both if you look at it's contemporaries, and just a really fascinating story by itself and then there's Part 7 which for me transcends battle manga and becomes something you should read if you just like to consume great media of any type.

Waffleman_ posted:

So I did a thing for when we start Steel Ball Read

:eyepop:

wow i guess now we really have to do it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jolyne is always a top three JoJo's. She's cool, funny and sincerely cares about poo poo. Like it's easy to forget that Giorno wants to be a Gang-Star and hates drugs, but Jolyne always feels like a super active participant.

One of my favorite scenes is (ending stretch of Part 6) when Weather dies and she feels it's her fault, and all she wants to do is give up and mourn. She gets past it obviously, but her vulnerability isn't painted as a bad thing, she's allowed to feel it, and to feel really confused afterwards but she keeps on anyway. It's everything about Joseph and Lisa Lisa mourning Caesar but it feels earned and cool.

Also Part 6 is just constantly really funny, there's a million dumb gags like throwing poo poo at alligators, or Emporio holding his hand out to give Hermes something but then a big computer comes out and Hermes drops it cause she wasn't expecting it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I also think that part of it is that a lot of us just tore through it the because we had the entire manga in front of us, having a week between each episode could probably help a bit

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also: TBH while I love the characters and fights of Part 6, I kind of hate the plot because I have difficulty buying that Dio’s ultimate master plan was to create a world where nobody experienced ennui. Like why the gently caress would he even care.
literally every conversation DIO has in Part 3 is about conquering fear, how that is what limits people from their potential, and that only by mastering that could he be God of this world, creating a Heaven if you will. It's def a bit retcon-y but really not that drastic of a character change.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean, the reason that the World is so perfect to DIO is that it conquers his fear, it gives him a space where he can never be attacked and can do what he likes and to DIO, that peace of mind is what makes him strong. The World is strong, but it's not unbeatable, Kakyoin figures it out and it doesn't stop Polnareff from being so close to killing him.

There's bad retcons wrt DIO, Over Heaven saying that he actually hated his mother and loved his father which is the opposite of what we see, so for DIO to actually have been hanging out with this priest all day and explore more thoughts about eliminating all human fear, feels pretty legit to me.

As a side note, it is very interesting that so many JoJo villains are obsessed with their peace of mind. They all want to eliminate fear on a micro or macro level, and it's their dedication to that goal that makes them evil

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
High Voltage is still kinda weird to me. I like it as a cool fanservice epilogue to bring back a time stopping bad guy, but I feel it kinda of works against Diego's character as someone who wasn't truly a villain. Johnny also doesn't gain total victory over him despite cool moments like Tusk Act 4 moving in the stopped time, but also Lucy presenting Diego his own head to kill him is really cool.

If Only There Was A Way To Re-Read It And Look At It With Fresh Eyes

also I personally really like the final stretch of Part 6, starting around Weather getting his memory back. It's the Bizarre-ness turned up to eleven and while I get why that's not enough on it's own, it really sells for me how huge the stakes are. Climbing out of a plane underneath a hospital while everyone's turning into snails and approaching Cape Canaveral only to see dozens of cars and people flying away from it as gravity itself is being changed, it all really feels like the sky is falling, like Pucci really has a great chance of winning, and for the end of this Saga of the JoJo universe, it feels really fitting

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
like there's a part early on when we see C-Moon for the first time where the gravity is so strong that Jolyne's fingers are forced back into her hand and come out the other side as bloody tusks and that is so disgusting and hosed up and cool, it's so :supaburn: to me, I love it.

and that's all before Jolyne's body starts getting twisted inside out so she has to mobius strip herself that RULES man

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Best JoJo conversation is really only Jolyne or Johnny let's be honest

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For me, it's Johnny's arc that makes him my favorite. His self-loathing feels genuine and earned, and he has enough moments of his Dark Determination to raise the question of if he actually is a Hero. I love his questioning of himself, if maybe he should just let Valentine win right now. I love his attachment to Gyro as a symbol of hope and their relationship feels so real of two people learning from each other and becoming one of the most important figures in each other's lives, where he actually would just give up to have some form, any form, of Gyro back in his life. Johnny feels like a realistic, flawed person.

Jolyne is great too obviously, everything everyone has said about her is totally true. I'm looking forward to re-experiencing Stone Ocean again, this time looking for more of her relationship with Jotaro. In a world of things like Boruto and My Hero Academia, even Bad Dad Goku, exploring ideas of parenthood, I think JoJo has always had some interesting ideas on it too, with Joseph/Josuke and Jotaro/Jolyne being interesting examples of messy yet positive role models.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
barely related, but i think about when weather got the jumping jack flash user to punch through one of his clouds and the compacted air resistance caused his arm to catch on fire a lot

weather report is the coolest version of Storm ever

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the cool thing about jojo is that sentence could describe like three people

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I agree a lot with Bad Seafood wrt DIegO, especially with the Endgame comparison. There just isn't a lot of emotional drama there, and having Johnny lose the fight on top of it is a weird downer (also Johnny ends up killing some bystanders cause DIegO puts em there oopsie). I'm fine with Johnny losing the Steel Ball Run and Lucky killing DIegO, and it's a sick fight on paper, but yeah I feel some parts could be edited a bit. It's weird!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The idea is basically that through the mathematical perfection of things like the Golden Ratio and Golden Rectangle, energy can be created, called The Spin. Some groups have discovered how to weaponize and use this energy for medicine through means like the Steel Balls, and that's what Gyro is using

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Its Ripple but Math and in a Ball

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He has a name and it was Mrs. Robinson

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah this is maybe the grossest thing in JoJo to me because body parts should never do thaaaaaaaat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Inflammatory posted:

the way the lead-up to the mobius strip sequence plays up jolyne like she's a loving horror movie villain is the best goddamn thing.
re-read this bit cause I didn't remember it really and god yeah this rules so hard, highly reccomend everyone else do it

jolyne is able to completely take all of C-Moon's punches now and they do nothing. Then Pucci pulls out a security's guard gun to kill her and time suddenly stops and Jotaro swoops in

badass

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jojo's bizarre adventure is epic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Funky Valentine posted:

There are many panels and pages in Stone Ocean that could credibly called the greatest ever.

Other candidates include:

- "EMPORIO WE'RE IN A PLANE UNDER A HOSPITAL THAT'S GOING TO CRASH INTO THE GROUND" "...uhhhhhh...?"
- Jolyne beans an alligator with Anasui's engagement ring
- Anasui: Doesn't really know what's going on. Just kind of following Weather to find Jolyne.
- Fake Jotaro
I cannot for the life find where Hermes goes "Jolyne, some weird poo poo is going on!" which kills me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmao thank you

hermes is really like the most normal person in a group of total freak weirdos, but she's still having a good time and all