Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
How many fights in the series were inspired by Araki having just watched The Thing? Yellow Temperance is the only one I'm 100% sure of, but a bunch of others have that kind of vibe. Most of part 2, Notorious BIG, some of the stuff that happens with Hot Pants... any others I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Can't believe I forgot Foo Fighters. Yellow Temperance obviously has some blob elements, especially once the fight proper starts, but the fact that it features multiple examples of Rubber Soul impersonating someone else and the way fake Kakyoin's body breaks down makes me think The Thing was as big of an inspiration, if not more.

Yinlock posted:

Most Jojo fights are inpsired by whatever Araki read/watched that month, see Iggy vs Pet Shop suddenly cutting away to give us some fascinating bird facts

Yeah, I was just thinking that The Thing might be responsible for more Jojo fights than anything else. Are there any other movies that might be contenders?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Do you think Araki read the book, or did he just hear about it somewhere? Or is it just one of the wildest coincidences ever?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
https://twitter.com/bluedelliquanti/status/1095535532824645633?lang=en
Maybe he only visited America to see where they were filming Holes and was inspired to make Steel Ball Run by the trip :v:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
At some point I think I read most of these books but I don't remember any of this. I only remember the gameboy gadget, because all the different tools were also working games you could play.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Yinlock posted:

We haven't had a real Globetrotting Adventure since part 3, looking forward to Araki infodumping as much random trivia about a place as possible followed immediately by an Enemy Stand ambushing someone

e: Replaying 7th stand user has given me more appreciation for part 3, there's just something weirdly earnest about it. Like the first real battle starts when Jotaro finds a handwritten note that says "Hey Jotaro I'm going to murder you - Kakyoin". And everyone, including the monkey, has to stop to explain the meaing of their tarot when the fight starts for real. You guys are the worst assassins.

7th Stand User is real good, and I agree. I don't know why, but that straightforwardness clicked for me a lot better in the game format than the anime or manga

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Does anyone who creeps on Lucy not die?

- Mountain Tim
- Scarlet
- Funny Valentine
- Alternate Diego

Am I missing anyone?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Pootybutt posted:

It's OK to steal from the rich, they don't need it

We have to at least consider the possibility that Dio did nothing wrong

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Jonathan very famously had a brother, and so did Johnny. But this is the first sibling who seems to be an active participant in the story in a positive role

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
My favorite bit of Araki stealing from other things is how Jail House Lock!, Part 1 was on shelves one month after Memento opened in Japan

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The difference is Johnny has a stand that makes shooting walls and himself cool

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Pootybutt posted:

nah I still say that sounds lame, for the simple reason that who gives a flying gently caress about Doppio? Not one member of the cast, that's who. Doppio wasn't the main villain, Bruno didn't have beef w him, so what does struggling against and beating the poo poo out of, to his eyes, some rando kid(which he wouldn't do anyway) mean to him? Nothing. What does it do for Giorno to just switch the target of his animosity all part, arbitrarily last minute?

Sure, but I don't care about Diavolo and I do care about Doppio

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many novels are there and are they worth reading?

There are like 7, but only 2 that people really talk about. There's Purple Haze Feedback, which is a sequel to Vento Aureo focusing on Fugo, and then there's Jorge Joestar which is absurd even by Jojo standards. You should read the wiki page

The others include: an extra adventure that takes place during part 3, one that somehow fits inside part 5, a sequel to part 4, Dio's journal, and an ongoing one about Lisa Lisa investigating stand users and the arrow for the speedwagon foundation

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Joseph was consistently owning them for a while, he just didn't keep it up. Once he hit Italy he was done.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Josuke is definitely number one, with maybe Jolene if I'm willing to risk crime happening. Jonathan would be very polite but boring, Joseph is too high energy all the time and he runs the risk of saying some poo poo that makes the whole rest of the afternoon super awkward, Jotaro is out for obvious reasons, and Giorno's a total wet blanket. I could maybe hang with Johnny but he's super abrasive and the area I live in isn't super wheelchair accessible. Gappy is a maybe but he kind of has bad vibes. And I'm not with it enough to hang with Dragona, but if I got the chance I'm sure we'd have some fun conversations, while Jodio seems like we'd both be happier for me to keep my distance while being in the same room at a family gathering

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Planet Waves did rule, I'm starting to come around on this idea

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I assume it wouldn't be possible to do that, someone would unconsciously slip it out and no one would notice

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I like that they don't even pretend like Dragona's dead, they immediately used their stand to move the wound like a reverse Tusk

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
There's undeniably Gender happening and it's definitely not unreasonable to theorize that the gender is woman-whose-brother-hasn't-figured-it-out-yet with the evidence we have right now. The mention of injections makes me lean that way, even if that might not be the intent.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
That's what it's always been, hasn't it? Am I just mandela effecting here?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Oh, like the assassin attacks? I don't feel like those were that common tbh, but maybe I'm just looking back at it with rose tinted glasses. I always ended up fighting the overworld enemies way more

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Man. I wasn't expecting just a straight up transphobic hate crime in this chapter, feels gross! Especially when the manga (or at least this translation) is still referring to Dragona as male. Like, with Dragona being called Dragomi by the teacher, the groping being specifically framed as "Do you have a cock? What exactly is going on down here?" and the bully trying to cut her nipples off because "Someone like you really should have a bra," what's happening feels very clear, I've been in very similar situations. She's been sexually assaulted twice in 13 chapters and it feels like that's her main contribution to the story, being assaulted so Jodio can do something cool.

The rest of the chapter was good though, this new plan is fun. I really like the idea of them stealing the entire mountain, really exciting plan with a lot of potential for interesting stuff. And if the manga turns around and for the rest of the part Dragona gets to be cool and have more agency a lot of my complaints here will be resolved.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

What is the contextual significance of Dragona vs Dragomi?

If it isn't deadnaming it's pretty clearly meant to bring deadnaming to mind

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Lucy and Yasuho also got it pretty bad, though it wasn't this frontloaded. I do hope we can move on to other plot beats soon.

That, and I may just be completely forgetting something but going at her nipples with the eyelash curlers feels a good bit more specific and visceral than what they got. Not to say what happened with them was good or anything, but in my memory it's much more about the threat of assault and less actually seeing the assault (which is violent in a more mundane way than Jojo's basically every gets) on screen? I only read like a quarter of Jojolion though, so I could easily be forgetting or missing something there.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
School bullies can smell that poo poo on you, I was getting called slurs I didn't realize were accurate all throughout middle school, and at one point someone did a very toned down version of the bra thing. Nothing as bad as Dragona, but even if she wasn't actively transitioning (which it seems like she was, given the name thing) the bullies would be acting this way

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Araki has been using the threat of sexual violence to show how bad someone is from the very beginning, but I agree that there's something different about this one. Unless I'm forgetting something, this is much more explicit than any previous example

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
They talk about Prince in DiU, but that might not count as a full conversation. Outside that it might be the first? I feel like there must be another though

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Same with doing wrestling moves on random pickpockets, he leaves a trail of bodies behind him that go unseen in every city they visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The only time to hang out before then would have been when they were waiting for the boat with Captain Tennile