Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
do not start lps in the summer when it is hot

e: if youre on 40-posts-per-page like me, the latest update is on the very last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Do we get exp share soon? Dealing with splash magikarp is annoying as-is but pokemon like wynaut and hoppip getting in the same boat now seems like a nightmare. Not that they weren't a nightmare to raise before, I suppose.

rannum fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 22, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

rannum posted:

Are you sure the gen 4 evolutions aren't in this? The patch's page you link to in the OP says & shows otherwise, but I've not progressed very far on my own.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rannum posted:

Do we get exp share soon? Dealing with splash magikarp is annoying as-is but pokemon like wynaut and hoppip getting in the same boat now seems like a nightmare. Not that they weren't a nightmare to raise before, I suppose.

Tell Mr. Stone you got Steven his letter, same as normal. I don't think there'll be much trouble with Hoppip.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah.

I'm getting a Yanma.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

While I do like original stories, it always seems to me that pokemon fangames are really hesitant to alter even the TM compatibility and level-up movepool of existing pokemon; Hacks like this where they do that and ability and sometimes type changes are interesting to me.

It bothers me even more when they make up new moves but then don't give them to any old mons no matter how much sense it would make, except maybe by tutor or rarely TM.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I converted the map images for all the routes (not the dungeons, though I can grab those if wanted) if you ever want to show off their changes in full. Uhhhh spoiler warning, I suppose. Especially the latter game ones

https://imgur.com/a/mtLSkMV

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wow. I super appreciate that, rannum! Thanks a ton!

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Okay the cheesy Pokédex entries convinced me to download this game. They're all great! I've always enjoyed ROM hacks where they rebalance and switch up the existing Pokemon, so this is right up my alley.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Ikwaylx posted:

Okay the cheesy Pokédex entries convinced me to download this game. They're all great! I've always enjoyed ROM hacks where they rebalance and switch up the existing Pokemon, so this is right up my alley.

As a heads up, the type changes and dex entry changes are in optional additional patches that should be included in the zip. They're applied after the base patch in any order.

Namagem fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 29, 2019

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

:toot: Oh hey, you're the same Bogart from the discord! I ended up leaving it after a while because of the aforementioned 11 year olds and it seeming like Luuma was taking an extended break. I am not a very smart or strategic man so this game kicked my rear end five ways to Sunday, but I also thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
alright, ya jerks, i'll update my drat lp

e: talking about sw/sh pokedex is haram

Bogart fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 13, 2019

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Finally, I had to bug you enough :p

Seriously, though, excited to see this. Thanks for coming back to it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i've been slowly progressing on my file and I've been excited to see if you get taken off guard by the same things I was :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

why did I chuckle at this

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ALRIGHT YA DICKS

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Do it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
8: Petalburgin'

Welcome to beautiful Petalburg Forest. 🎵 Despite a somewhat sinister theme, nothing particularly spooky really happens here.

Well, nothing else for it, let's get to the catching.

That's right, Truant is no longer the only albatross around the Slaking family neck. Otherwise used on Archeops, you'll remember, Defeatist cuts attacking stats when the Pokemon in question is at half health. It's a much better burden, really, given that Slakoth et al enjoy usage of the 50% health restore move Slack Off.

Perhaps owing to a certain timidity in the dev, most basic trainer teams haven't been messed around with.

Boomblox has Guts and Peck. It's basically overkill.

Aw, hell yeah.

I don't think anyone's ever used Paras before, ever. So I'll change that.

Vandalism on a trainer tips board? But how will I know how to catch Pokemon now?

yay

Here, I make an error. There's a bug with capture XP in this game; Pokemon who reach a level where they should normally evolve with capture XP won't evolve. Worried I might end up losing something good for Byrne, I reset a bit and ultimately don't catch this Smeargle.

But I wouldn't deny anyone a stupid dex entry. Anyway, this guy gets got and so...Byrne evolves!

i shouldn't have resetted

:sweatdrop: In standard Emerald, he's wild for Shroomish, I believe.

I have not edited this.rise up

Uh-oh, gang! 🎵

This LP is made for people who are at least somewhat familiar with base Emerald. The grunt's all 'I wanna battle more but whatever, we got stuff to do at Devon,' and the researcher's all 'phew thanks here's a Great Ball,' and then runs.

And fair enough, this guy proves it by sending out:

A Spinarak! It's too damaged by Quick Attack to get up a Substitute, but that's some surprising move variety for a boring bug this early on.

:v:

Guess we'll have to come back later with Cut. The sign above us teaches a bit about the Physical/Special difference, about as best it can.

The fact that the split could be backported into RSE is fascinating enough, to me at least, so I don't mind a bit of fiddliness. The (p)(s) thing is referring to move descriptions, since there isn't anywhere else to delineate what a move's powered on.

Anyway, we're out of the forest! Next time:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 15, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
9: Water's Edge

We'll be heading back to Petalburg later; I just needed more Pokeballs.

Thanks to rannum for the full images of routes. You might notice that things have changed a tad. Right, first things first:

Deforestation. I'm not even sure why I do this, it's not like I ever use berries and I'm sure as hell not going to get into Contests (which I'm pretty sure are busted in AltEm). I guess it's a compulsion. When I was a kid playing original Emerald, I'd usually save at the Berry Master's place and turn on every day to water my plants and get my freebies until I had 99 of each kind. I was a weird kid! Now I'm talking about playing a hack of my nostalgia game as an adult on the internet, so I've definitely grown out of it.

These three have nothing to say. I get the water bottle (again, basically without any real reason) and leave. Clever eyes might've noticed the expansion of the little walking path behind the flower shop.

It's pretty rewarding!

And by using it, we can skip all those trainers and head right into town. We're not going to, but we could.

Must destroy environment.

fuckin boomers

Guess what this guy's got.

If you guessed three Magikarp, you're right. There's not much interesting about this route, other than a bit of a fun fact on earlier versions of Altered Emerald. The route, once unaltered, was bottlenecked by the bridge by the twins to the left of this guy. They originally broke the bridge and thus the route back to Mr. Briney, and the Whismur Cave wasn't blocked off, so you were obliged to go along the land to Slateport for the Devon Goods. I thought it was kinda neat, but apparently it was too hard and confusing for baby gamers, so it got canned. Oh, and this guy:

Our first TM, and an excellently useful one if you don't have Treecko. TMs are infinite use. With Roxanne looming ahead and Grass Knot scaling with weight, it'd be silly to not hand it out.

Next time: looting the town, catching bugs, and teaching a father the secret word!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 15, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grass Knot that early is nice. I'm guessing you don't get Bullet Seed anymore, but it's a very nice trade.

Also I don't get what was the point of changing the route, but at least it's some effort I guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I had an embarassing time against that stupid Poochyena. My team was under leveled (Treecko was not and still isn't near Grovyle), Poochyena had +2 levels from Emerald and while it's been a few weeks now I am pretty sure it had Howl-Bite to go with Dark Aura

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I appreciated the alternate path, but I understand why it was cut, it did feel a bit too much like changing things for changing things sake.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
10: Grim Tidings

Rustboro City🎵

We could explore the town right off the bat, but it's only got normal stuff and it's boring, so let's head back to the Forest and get some buddies, do some mild leveling. It might be efficient to lean on your starter, especially one as good as Byrne, but it's not that exhilarating.

The fighting-type move Reversal is otherwise acquired at level 45 for Taillow, so it's certainly welcome, even if it's weak. One of those enmity kinda moves, the lower your health, the stronger Reversal is.

A spider, a mushroom, and a praying mantis. We'll go over them in just a moment with the rest of the new arrivals.

Snubbull learns how to bite, increasing its effectiveness in battle by a whole lot. Pixilate-boosted Tackles are still stronger against neutral enemies, but Bite is a staple of in-game team moveslots until something better comes. We could all stand to respect Bite.

This paint dog will haunt us again by the end of the update.

Though this doesn't seem too exciting on its own, Murkrow has the kind of stats needed to be viable throughout the game. 105 Attack, 101 Special Attack, and 97 Speed, with your choice of Prankster (a personal favorite) or Super Luck, mentioned here. It also gets 100 base HP, which mitigates low 50/50ish defenses. It all comes down to what TM support it gets, at the end of the day, since a critical hit up move isn't coming until 27 with Air Cutter.

Like I mentioned, the additional ability besides Truant being Defeatist is a huge boon for Slakoth, especially given it learns Slack Off at level 14 to keep topped off. Certainly makes the threat of Norman's team down the line a little more real.

Sit down for this one, gang: Spinarak's pretty good. Swarm's got the same Retaliation effect as the grass/water/fire boosters, and the other ability, Insomnia... well, it kinda sucks, but it gets swapped for Unnerve (enemy team can't eat berries) on evolution. As you may have guessed by the inclusion of Substitute in the level-up list, Spinarak's built around stalling and Poisoning. Toxic Thread, which in vanilla you might not even know existed since only the Spinarak line learns it to begin with, has been buffed to badly Poison and lower the opposing mon's speed by two stages, effectively halving it. Add that Poison types take half damage from the Poisoned, a moveset that includes Venom Drench (lower attack, special attack, and speed of Poisoned mons) and Baneful Bunker (Protect with poisoning on contact), and 100/100/60 defenses start looking a lot better.

Poison Heal and Effect Spore. As with in vanilla, you don't use Shroomish for Shroomish, you use it for Breloom down the line. Technician-boosted Mach Punches off 120 base attack and access to Spore means that Breloom doesn't need much else.

Hard to go wrong with good old Scyther. 70/70/70 defenses aren't great, but it can hold an Eviolite and still hit hard with Technician boosts. It learns some interesting moves, including a near-exclusive one in "Blink Strike," a 40-power flying move that calculates damage based on Speed. It has 90 Speed. Otherwise, it has Swarm, and can evolve into a properly bulky son of a gun. Thankfully, just holding the Metal Coat and leveling is all Scyther needs to become Scizor.

With all the choices, we've already filled out our first box.

And lastly Smeargle, known bastard. You don't use Smeargle for its abilities (the other one's Technician), you don't use it for its stats (55 30 35 30 45 75), you use it because it can do everything. Since there are wild double battles now, if you're a madman, you can teach this dog anything you want. Given that Sketch has had its PP boosted, and that Smeargle's now compatible with all TMs and Move Tutors for convenience, it is, by all accounts, a good dog. I still have a grudge.

That done, it's time to loot the town.

Soon.

I just thought the name being Rustboro Primary was cute. :3:.

Anyway, in one of the buildings, you'll find this guy. This isn't new to Altered Emerald, but I sure didn't remember it.

The number's based on a whole bunch of junk. If you care about how this works, here's the exhaustive bulbapedia article on it, but if you're like me, you just want a generator to do it for you.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノIa, ia, hastur ka'fudyak. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

They're both delirious, probably.

It's a decent reward, at least.

You guys like Everyone Loves Raymond? In a fun little feature, you can actually customize what Wallpaper you get based on the phrase you say. I think I made the right choice.

Anyway, you may have noticed I had a bunch of Raltses in my box. This is part of why.

The line's mostly notable here for having a pretty good natural coverage. Flash Cannon, Air Slash, Gunk Shot, Aurora Beam, and Draco Meteor. Swift Swim and Sniper (critical hits do more damage). Perfectly usable.

Here's the team heading into the first gym. Glory's got the Quick Claw.

Let's do this.🎵

Champ in the making! Did you know Pokemon have types?

Despite the level disparity, Geodude is heavy (and my brother) so he goes down in two Grass Knots. The youngster's second mon, less so.

Whoever's passing out ancient fossil Pokemon better come correct, or at least put Primal Reversion Fossils in Big Sword / Nice Shield / Gun. :colbert:

This is just to show that I think you could get a Double Battle here, but I didn't really want to, so I didn't. The Hiker's a bog standard battle, but the other Youngster...

That's no rock!

Versus: Gym Leader Roxanne! 🎵

Oh, neat, she's got some fossils too. Much more exciting than Geodude and Nosepass.

These Acids make short work of Basil, so I try to pause, come back later with new eyes.

AND THEN EVERYONE DIES, THIS IS WHY I DIDN'T UPDATE FOR TWO MONTHS NONE OF THIS UPDATE MATTERED

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh man, that mega sucks. Sorry to hear, hope stuff is back on track. I can definitely imagine how demoralizing that would be.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Oh neat I did that too.

Multiple times.

I'm a moron :downs:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
This is the pokemon classic. Here's hoping you're not super disheartened.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

welp

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Oh. I've done that. It's why I make it a point to save constantly, and DELETE my save states when done with them....I was on the last map of Bahamut Lagoon when I did that...and the thing I was using loaded the saves from where the save state was instead of where I was.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, it's understandable why you didn't update for so long if that happened.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And only now do I realize that my Smeargle hate-on doesn't make sense since I capped the bit after the load-state puts me back in that wild battle and not the actual fight.

heck

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ah....I know that pain. This is why I try to keep several states and save to the battery frequently

it still happens....

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah this is why I save state whenever I actually save, cause it's a real pain, but not having save states in some cases is a bigger pain.

Also copy your save file to another folder every now and then, it really helps!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
RIP Update, killed by a fatty finger. We do not begrudge you at all for hacking in what you had before the aforementioned gently caress up

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I stopped using savestates at all after I accidentally rolled a post-Elite Four savefile back to...right before Flannery.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Only in Gen 1. That got fixed afterwards.

No, I'm pretty sure that's still the case with Toxic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's still the case with Toxic.

You're wrong.

Bulbapedia posted:

If a badly poisoned Pokémon is switched out, it will remain badly poisoned, but the counter is reset.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s why the flame orb is better for pretty much every guts abuser.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh, weird. Maybe I'm thinking of post-battle.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This hat's going over that fence. Time for the LP to live again. Finally got the new job comprehensible, and I have a batch of raw video files waiting to be chopped up, so wait for your...favorite...guy, Bogart, to come around real soon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

This hat's going over that fence. Time for the LP to live again. Finally got the new job comprehensible, and I have a batch of raw video files waiting to be chopped up, so wait for your...favorite...guy, Bogart, to come around real soon.

praying for multiple save states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
shut