Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

therattle posted:

Strange Days maybe? Very good film. Probably qualifies.

Yea, that was what I was going to post. Probably my favorite Kathryn Bigelow film too all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

I just watched Sea of Love last week and rewatched Basic Instinct for the first time in decades and man I miss the days of erotic thrillers. It's like t&a Hitchcock. What are some really good ones?

-Against All Odds
-Body Double
-Bound (1996)
-Fatal Attraction
-Sleeping with the Enemy

-Jade (has a good car chase at least).

PS I keep forgetting to watch Sliver (1993).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

1960s flicks that are fun, flirty, and a bit sexy? Any genre, ideally European but not necessarily.

-Bedazzled
-I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Sleeper (1973)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pospysyl posted:

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.

The Emigrants (1971)
The New Land (1972)

Dersu Uzala (1975) also comes to mind but it's more about rugged living than farming.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

My friends are on a murder mystery kick, and I could use some recommendations because I don't know of a ton off the top of my head. We've done Clue, Knives Out, Murder Mystery (which was more enjoyable than I ever expected it could be), the most recent BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None (which I guess isn't a movie, but whatever).

Any others we should check out? Someone suggested Murder By Death but I remember Sellers's character being... uh... problematic the last time I saw it a few years ago. I think they're leaning more on the Clue/Knives Out end of murder mysteries, but I'd take any recs that sort of fit.

The Blind Melody AKA Andhadhun was good. Really feels like a modern Hitchock film set in India.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNcjFpILQA

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 27, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm looking for fun lowbrow movies that have a thoughtful upside, think: original Robocop (or anything Verhoevan).

Street Trash (1987) and Society (1989) are both from that era.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

These three from 1986 would fit well on that list:

Poltergeist II: The Other Side
Vamp
Witchboard

I haven't seen TerrorVision yet but I hear it's good.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m in need of a dumb 70’s/80’s type of comedy the likes of which Homer Simpson watches: https://youtu.be/xwEweXpHphg

I haven’t seen Caddyshack or Animal House in ages and am unsure how they hold up. I know Revenge of the Nerds didn’t, for me. But I could use some dumb laughs.

If you want a really dumb one: Up the Academy (1980)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

piratepilates posted:

So now I'm curious about movies that play up the voyeurism aspect, particularly with the camera work playing up the voyeurism aspect, where it feels like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I'm thinking of something like (the excellent) The Conversation, with the intro being a super telephoto lens spying on someone with the park, and the movie being focused around a guy whose job is to just snoop in on other people without them knowing. Anyone have any recommendations on that vein? With or without the previous criteria.

Body Double (1984) has a lot of that. Dirty Harry (1971) has some moments like that as well. Q (1982) has some brief moments IIRC. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Streets of Fire for the 100th time and I just love how chill the brother and sister relationship is in it—they're close and respect each other but also give each other a lot of poo poo. It feels really true to life. What other movies have that kinda sibling dynamic?

Jeepers Creepers (2001) comes to mind.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Streets of Fire for the 100th time and I just love how chill the brother and sister relationship is in it—they're close and respect each other but also give each other a lot of poo poo. It feels really true to life. What other movies have that kinda sibling dynamic?

Three O'Clock High (1987) came to mind recently.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

The Parallax View
The Long Good Friday
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Get Carter (1971)
Cutter's Way

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking for extremely 80’s action flicks featuring fun hokey dialogue, Duke Nukemesque protagonists, sick synth riffs, and lots of over-the-top fun violence.

I feel like my friend and I have exhausted everything in this genre. We’ve seen all the Schwarzenegger and Kirk Russell films from this period. We’ve seen Lethal Weapon, Repo Man, Robocop, and all the other big hits too. Any sleeper hits or otherwise forgotten films that would scratch this itch? Foreign films are welcome, too.

Cobra
To Live and Die in L.A.
Police Story
Police Story 2
Stone Cold
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

I get into the mood for horror about once a year and that time is now. Looking for something similar to Jacob's Ladder, In the Mouth of Madness, The Empty Man, The Tenant, Repulsion. Reality crumbling, protagonist going insane, that's the vibe I'm looking for. When done right, the viewer is put in the same situation as the protagonist where they're struggling to make sense of everything as well. Inland Empire does this too I guess but I didn't like that one. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Thanks!

The Beyond (1981)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

But it looks like Zardoz might count! My memories of the movie are vague, but Wikipedia lists the year as 2293 which to me implies that it's Earth in the future.

Without spoiling the film... Zardoz makes references to specific things on Earth.

feedmyleg posted:

Ah geez, of course. Looks like TV Tropes has a page on this.

I had thought Galaxy of Terror might be one but I wasn't positive.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

-Get Carter (1971)
-The Long Good Friday
-Cutter's Way

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gripweed posted:

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

A Midnight Clear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGK0E3QpyE

Come and See

Red Angel (1966)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for some faster-paced adventure/mystery films made or set in the 40s or before—ideally in an "exotic" locale.

I've been watching 30s and 40s film serials which are fun, but are utterly lacking in the narrative department. I'd love for something that takes place in East Asia or the Pacific with some espionage and romance and a fistfight on a shadowy wharf and a missing diamond or whatnot.

Very open to things that capture the spirit but not the letter of the question as well.

These came to mind but I'm not sure if they're what you want exactly:

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
The Shanghai Gesture (1941)
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Out of the Past (1947)
Key Largo (1948)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wizchine posted:

Two Hemmingway adaptions there.

I know To Have and Have Not (1944) is one but I didn't know there was another.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

magic cactus posted:

Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

If you want an eschatological adventure then you may like The Rapture (1991).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance vs. Judas Priest (1992) is focused primarily around Judas Priest's subliminal message/heavy metal hysteria trial but it may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGeNjfRWzXI

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Platoon Leader (1988) fits all those requirements.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.

Moonfleet (1955) comes to mind.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0niSKfUJ1Q

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic like the beginning of Enter the Void. Also a movie about an American expat criminal.

Midnight Express (1978) comes to mind.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fantasy movies with dungeons/labyrinths/mazes or even caves or elaborate temples? I don't care how terrible, bottom-of-the-barrel the movie might be, I've just watched a few lately that are all running around in forests and generic towns. I wanna see someone do some dungeon crawling.

e: The Devil's Sword is one that I remember having a rad cave with a monster and treasure. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Conquest (1983) and Robot Holocaust (1987) are two that come to mind.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

K-PAX applies if you haven't blacklisted Kevin Spacey.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

recommend me the best Russian stuff, I loved Stalker and Ivan the Terrible I and II. Where next besides the obvious other Eistenstein and Tarkovsky?

Dersu Uzala
I Am Cuba
Viy
Ilya Muromets
Letter Never Sent

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for globe-trotting adventure or spy movies. Ideally it's the kind that's largely an excuse for there to be a bunch of glamorous and exotic locations to have a fight, chase, or stunt in, and is at least somewhat possible to take seriously. But not James Bond.

Romancing the Stone

thehandtruck posted:

I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".

Sholay
Dil Chahta Hai
Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
Swades
Anand

Pilchenstein posted:

On a related note, recommend me some films that go as hard as RRR on the "gently caress the british" sentiment :v:

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Weird, trippy low-budget sci-fi? Lesser-known, below even Zardoz and Conquest. Like, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff but with big visual and/or philosophical ambition. Just watched the 1983 Hercules with its crazy weirdo sci-fi tone and I don't care how bad it is I adore it swinging for the fences.

Robot Holocaust (1987).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Sniper (1993)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

Also with Halloween coming up, I know it's a taboo phrase but I'm looking for some good horror movies which aren't "elevated horror", so more focus on scares and atmosphere than subtext. I've probably seen most of the obvious English language ones, I enjoyed Hell House LLC, Grave Encounters, Session 9 and As Above So Below (I'm noticing now that these are all found footage, but they don't have to be)

The Beyond (1981) comes to mind.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Descent: Part 2 wasn't bad for a sequel.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

VROOM VROOM posted:

Psycho Goreman
Carrie
House
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

These are all funny, weird and tense.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

oceanside posted:

If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

The New Land (1972) and Dersu Uzala (1975). Dersu Uzala isn't in the US but it could be in a remote and desolate area.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Betty Blue (1986) has that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Okua posted:

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

The Heavenly Kid

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ulio posted:

Just saw Wild Tales, an Argentinien/Spanish movie. Amazing. Anything else worth watching from Argentina? I have already seen a fair few Spanish thrillers + tv shows.

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) is the big one. I liked the The Swamp AKA La Ciénaga (2001) too but that's not a thriller.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ulio posted:

Ya The Secret In Their Eyes is in my list, have you seen Amores Perros? That's the other one that keeps popping up in lists.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest to come out of Mexico.

A few more from Spain that you might like:

-The Invisible Guest (2016)
-Timecrimes (2007)
-Open Your Eyes (1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I mean one no-brainer would be to go watch everything else Nolan has made.

:hmmyes:

whiskas posted:

I prefer great story over great execution. A movie can have some crustiness to it as long as the story holds up and the characters are strong. I abhore cliche, tropey, or predictable plots, I lose interest very quickly. I have a lot of fun with stories that surprise or manipulate the viewer. I generally love Tarantino movies with the exception of Kill Bill, I hate more mainstream PG superhero movies, or any action movie where the protagonist has excessive plot armor. I don't enjoy horror, but tragedies intrigue me. As far as comedy, the toilet scene in Dumb and Dumber made me laugh hysterically to the point of tears, to give you an idea. I have a soft spot for sci-fi and historical stories.

You've left lots of room open for interpretation but I thought about it for a while and here are some not already mentioned that you might like:

-Alita: Battle Angel
-Brawl in Cell Block 99
-Dinner for Schmucks
-Dogtooth
-Dragged Across Concrete
-Edge of Tomorrow
-Ender's Game
-Gone Girl
-Good Time
-Kick-rear end
-Manchester by the Sea
-The Other Guys
-Sicario
-Toni Erdmann
-Wild Tales

I'll stop at fifteen. That's one film per year since 2008.