Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Blarghalt posted:

You wanna know the best part? There's chunks I'm cutting out because they're just so inane and boring that I can't even think of anything funny to say, and deleting them doesn't subtract from the "experience".

...I would say I can't believe that, but no, I can. I absolutely can.

What's lower than rock bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The fact that I didn't even notice chunks were missing really says a lot about the game huh

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

trade of certain goods is forbidden --> pirates acquire those goods and sell them on the dl, get paid
trade of those goods is allowed --> pirates lose lucrative business
see I figured it was something like that - nevermind that that's more smuggling than piracy? unless... they're raiding the illegal goods from people already trading in said illegal goods??? whooo even knows at this point

Blarghalt posted:

You wanna know the best part? There's chunks I'm cutting out because they're just so inane and boring that I can't even think of anything funny to say, and deleting them doesn't subtract from the "experience".
how many chunks, so far?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

how many chunks, so far?

Nothing really of note; I'm not like, skipping entire scenes. Mostly just a lot of extraneous dialogue.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Blarghalt posted:

Alright, enough Monkey(Island)ing around.

Our bosun is a hedgehog and our gunner is a hound!

Klace clearly can't distinguish
'tween a pirate and a smuggler.
The Smuggler's Guild is down the hall
(their fashion's even ugg'ler)

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Jesus fuckin christ just let Seibar go to SLEEP, why does this little slapfight need to be resolved at that moment? Did they both finally get tired of sniping at each other and decided to settle who was gonna take the position of Chief Meaningless? They couldn't wait until you got some goddamn sleep and you could have that talk before you leave? Its gotta be during snooze time?

also

Oxxidation posted:

stop holding your chins. stop holding your chins! STOP IT! STOP!

seriously every single goddamn character has one, couldn't switch it up huh.

Good to see the "standard" set by M/M continues to be met.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Literally the only improvement I can see is that Klace is actually using an engine that can run a visual novel, instead of forcing RPGmaker's cutscene engine to try to do what it is absolutely not designed for.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think the dialogue in this game is easier to understand, because sentence structure is generally much more restrained to simple sentences.

Of course there's still the problem of everyone sounding exactly the same

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Black Robe posted:

...I would say I can't believe that, but no, I can. I absolutely can.

What's lower than rock bottom?

The second bottom.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

The second bottom.

I want to reiterate I'm playing this blind, so I can only assume it just keeps piling on the stupid like M\M did.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hasn't disappointed??? yet.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's sparklewolves all the way down.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blarghalt posted:

I want to reiterate I'm playing this blind, so I can only assume it just keeps piling on the stupid like M\M did.

Considering that every single flaw on display in MajorbackslashMinor is here in spades I will be absolutely gobsmacked if this game gets better or smarter in any way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm surprised Klace didn't go with the name Prolix.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I can't get over how stupid Gyz's cross-eyed thinking pose is.

Did Klace piss off his artist again but was to cheap/lazy to get a new one?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Chapter 8: Furshadowing

Been a while, hasn't it? Anyway, here's some things that look like sentences, but aren't.

Could it be? Have we ascended the mortal realm to gaze upon THE ORB's true form?

Seibar will NEVER touch THE ORB, even if its mysterious glow seduces and beguiles.

How's it 'slowly' draining your energy? That seems pretty instantaneous.

So I guess we've established Seibar is the kind of person you could distract with a pointer laser.

This is our great, powerful seeress getting distracted by a shiny object, folks.

No. <:mad:>

To be fair, that could be literally any character in the game.

Random question, Mr. One-of-the-Triumvirate: do you have multiple robes or do you just wash that one every day?

I could probably reply to every single screenshot from here on out with "no" and you'd be able to tell what I was feeling just by context alone.

hell yeah Seibar's gonna be a sith lord

Seibar's morality is as alien to us as a human's is to a shark.

what I'm getting at here is that sometimes Seibar eats people.

When deep in thought, always pretend like you're a runway model.

We wouldn't know if its a gift or not, least of all because our powers are only marginally better explored than the not-powers we had back in Major\Minor.

Are we sure this isn't just Seibar's version of sleep paralysis?

Yeah Klace we get it you played Undertale

I'm not really sure how it follows that 'can control your body' means they can control spiritual energy, whatever the hell that means.

Was it?

I dunno, being corrupt sounds kind of rad. Seibar'll get to shoot lightning from her hands and choke guys from across the room.

I like how this implies like, Seibar actually has had no previous concept of actions having consequences.

I almost want Seibar to use that sword on the wall to barricade the drat doors.

In fact, no food for anyone ever again.

They're cracking down on the apple black market. You know the saying: buy a bushel, do a dime.

Have you tried maybe not kicking in Seibar's door every chance you get?

Keep in mind that Siebar is trained to tell everyone about these visions the first chance they get, and characters only ever react to them with 'wow, I'm glad you told us this', so there's literally no reason Siebar decides to not tell them now.

There's a lot of things wrong with actually creating a graph explaining what a morality system is, least of all that it's choosing to do it now several hours into the game, but I think the absolute best thing is how it refers to purity and corruption as a 'background stat'.

Let's head down to the bar, on the remote possibility we can get drunk.

There's just something unwieldy about having to use this map to actually get anywhere.

Ulric, carry Seibar. She is frail, and her humors do not agree with the torturous mountain air.

This also kind of hammers home how much a bunch of hicks most of the party is.

Couldn't we just jump off the mountain? We should send Fortnite first to make sure the cliff is safe.

You know what. I take back everything.

I hate Pro the most now.

SNAP HIS loving NECK ULRIC

And so began the Tale of Ulfric, of Abs Beyond Counting

Yes Fortnite you found a cool leaf, glad you're making that discovery we all do when we're two.

And up a mountain?

:woop:

On the other hand, think of what Valinorth will save on refridgerators! :v:

Considering how I know for a fact that the writer of this game is at least a part-time weeb, you kind of wonder if this is the game's version of everyone watching the cherry blossoms fall.

Pro I swear to God if you're writing poetry, I will leave your corpse on this mountain that future generations will use as a landmark.

I suppose this is supposed to feel like the start of a grand adventure, but it doesn't. It feels like when you're going under the anesthesia for a surgery that might kill you.

And what exactly do you bring to the team, Fortnite?

I like how this game is telling us this, of all things, is the climax of the story.

You know how you're always supposed to write like your story is an anime opening, but hit your head on the corner of a desk before dragging yourself to the computer?

Why are you looking up, Fortnite? Your parents made you. They're definitely in Hell.

So one thing that hasn't changed a drat bit some Major\Minor is there being like four or five seperate "starts" before you actually get to the ~true~ journey beginning.

Wait, is this an entry Pro just wrote, or did he write about this way after? Maybe Seibar isn't the only one with prophetic powers.

Let's go see what Larry, Curly, and Moe are up to.

Ain't an audience if it's one person, knucklehead! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! :buddy:

Other cool thing that hasn't changed since M\M: Klace still hasn't figured out how to have more than two characters on a screen at the same time, unless they're all together as one image file.

I love this exchange, by the way. "Perhaps we've had too much practice. No wait, the exact opposite of that."

You have to realize that for these guys, this is basically a strip tease.

So, which one of us is me?

THE BLOOD LEAVES SHALL FLOW LIKE A RIVER! :black101:

The Mazeans are a slow, superstitious people. They'd burn people as witches, if they didn't think fire as demon from Hell.

Leaves that scream if you step on them, but still just leaves.

If those things are tears, it sounds like the afterlife around here sucks.

I honestly have no idea what Pro is talking about here, so I'll just assume Pro is talking about how Seibar struts like a Belmont like I've always assumed she does.

Oh, they literally meant the sword. Which is a fair point, considering it's a legendary item at least one person has been able to spot from a distance.

What kind of reputation do people from Valinorth have?

Ah, Valinorthians are guilty of the most heinous crime of all: being boring.

I love how this wasn't considered at all until now.

Why would she wait until now to show she has this?! :psyduck:

We lay siege to the town, of course.

I think that would damage the town more than a siege.

It's only fun when I dunk on you idiots! :argh:

Ulric is also on his last Crazy Pill, and he needs to get his prescription refilled in town. If he runs out, well, it's gonna be an awkward talk with his parole officer on why he laid waste to the countryside.

Ah yes, the mighty, incorruptible institution of the gate guards.

Onward to Mazeo!

But first, let's go to Mazeo!

Does she check to see if Gryz has un-crossed his eyes or not?

Also, did they have a twin I didn't know about?

Assume I made a joke here and it was about bear furries and the right to bear arms and it was so hilarious that one of you personally came over to my home and murdered me.

You mean the thing pirates specifically make a career out of?

:psyduck: This loving pirate armada gets stronger every time they're mentioned. Why aren't they just running things?

If this ends up being a choice down the line, just know Seibar will side with whatever side is more pirate-y.

I honestly love it how it's literally The Rebellion, proper noun.

Why is Gryz even doing this if it's Damek's decision?

The best ending we can hope for is Mazeo, and really the world at large, being plunged into endless sectarian violence.

We go back to Seibar proper, and I guess we start interrogating Ulric.

Ulric's other hobbies include scrapbooking and having terrible, terrible taste in tattoos.

Good talk.

Super slow. Not even a few plucky heroes trying to sneak in disguised as pligrims.

Couldn't we just kill them?

Ulric, is this 'another way' meaning another option, or is this 'another way' meaning you're hallucinating some kind of open demon gate made of teeth?

You guys aren't seeing that thing? Huh.

Seriously. It's got a tongue and everything.

It's important you learn finesse. I can't always be there to kill your problems and anyone that happens to be nearby those problems.

Seibar demands the truth! :argh:

You mean the thing Pro literally just said?

Our village's future despot, folks.

Couldn't we just bribe the guard like normal people do?

Hey, remember how people in this town don't even like people from Valinorth apparently?

Sure it can, by virtue of absolutely no one giving a poo poo.

I should remind everyone that the last Elder literally consistently lied to everyone, then skipped town overnight.

So, you know, big shoes to fill and all that.

Make your save file now before you go stabbing everyone. Hint hint.

Valinorth's fluctating size continues to amaze. Now no longer a village, it's big enough to have unilateral relations with a port-city.

There's something just weird about an (I'm assuming) teenager having the title of Elder.

And as mentioned, siege the city in case things go south. Fortnite, you start digging the latrines, just in case.

That's a weapon, all right. When you need guard the gate from 9-5 but hunt down the white whale at 6.

(Translator's note: 'urgent business' in Mazeo is slang for 'to buy incredibly irresponsible amounts of cocaine.')

I made this joke way back when in the first post or so, but I've just always enjoyed how bureaucracy in video games only ever seems to come up when we need to sign for the MC's name and also get past guards.

I call this political system JRPG Minarchism.

(For God's sake lady, the bribe isn't that much...)

I can't wait until Valessa also vanishes and dumps her position on some other poor sod.

Yes. This is a Class Seven Freedom Death...Alert.

A C7-FDA?

Hey Ulric I know I'm yelling at a wall here but maybe don't threaten their family right off the bat. Gotta save it for your second or third trick.

The Triumvirate hate our freedoms. Mostly our freedom from shirts.

Name me one goddamn guard who was ever remembered for doing either of these things.

Ulric's making a big gamble assuming he likes his family. For all they know, Mazeo getting burned to the ground would be a chance to start over.

Protect it, and from actual threats! Not the flying murder gremlins circling overhead Ulric is eighty percent sure are probably not real.

Okay Ulric, now you're just being a bad influence.

I mean, you are Ulric.

Poor choice.

If you aren't already, hoo boy is your life gonna be rough in the near future

That sounds ominous.

Yeah, the teenage secretary who harassed us like a needy nine-year-old for the position wasn't ready for the job. WHODA THUNK

That's not how experience works!

Pro, we don't need to hear about your fanfic.

We shalln'tw've'd.

And maybe ask him some very pointed questions about his taste in underlings.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 13, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blarghalt posted:

When deep in thought, always pretend like you're a runway model.
god even they do it

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

What is Lilith doing with their arms...? That's not how folding them works!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
There had better be a point to keeping the Triumvirate all mysterious.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This game's text is like white noise. It just passes right through your brain, leaving no trace except for a dull feeling of unease.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

rudecyrus posted:

There had better be a point to keeping the Triumvirate all mysterious.

This implies there's been a point to anything else in the game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

megane posted:

This game's text is like white noise. It just passes right through your brain, leaving no trace except for a dull feeling of unease.

and remember, we're getting a *condensed* version, Blarghalt had stated they cut literally pages of text out at times.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Epicmissingno posted:

What is Lilith doing with their arms...? That's not how folding them works!

I was about to say she has the least worst design we've seen so far, but I'm starting to rethink that.

Speaking of character designs, I can't stop staring at Pro's elbow. Is it covered in fishnet or is that supposed to be scale mail?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Poor Seibar. My dreams are always really confusing and overcomplicated and tiring, but at least the dialogue is better written. I think if anyone in my dreams spoke in really overdramatic sentence fragments I'd wake up immediately in sheer disgust.

Purity And Corruption sounds like a decent band name, but a terribly pretentious way of saying 'right and wrong'. Klace clearly thinks the player is as confused about basic morality as Seibar.

also it's still unbelievably stupid that apples are some sort of rare luxury, this planet is so hosed.

As symbols of approaching doom go, autumn coming a bit early is... well, pretty on the nose actually, but it lacks drama. Which is why so many people don't believe it's a problem. Leaves turning into actual blood would be a much better omen.

If the journey's only starting now, what the gently caress have they all been doing this entire time, exactly?

Pro, Seibar has a lamprey-toothed cog for a head, the sword is not the issue here.

The whole gate drama is so stupid and non-dramatic. There's one guard, he's clearly not there to stop anyone getting in, just to report anything really suspicious. Like, say, a group stopping a short way off and doing a lot of whispering and pointing, instead of just walking in like normal people. And why did Ulric step in after Vanessa hosed it up, when we were told Pro actually knows the guard?

I wonder if it's furry racism for the dog to be stupid and easily manipulated.

I would say I'm glad this is back, but...

Solitair posted:

Speaking of character designs, I can't stop staring at Pro's elbow. Is it covered in fishnet or is that supposed to be scale mail?

It shows at his neck as well. I think it's meant to be chain mail, but fishnet is frankly a lot more plausible.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I feel like this game is less...insterestingly bad the the first. We still haven't had any moments like "meanwhile, in another universe, a tiger is complaining about immigrants" or having someone rig a building to explode in order to ensure our safety.

It think that a full-on fantasy setting just gives me lower expectations in general. At least so far the plot's sticking with one world (although I wouldn't be surprised if that suddenly changes).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So as far as we can tell, Valinorth is just some bumfuck town with a dipshit mayor who doesn't do anything. Why does an NPC ask for "official papers" when there's absolutely zero evidence that Valinorth would have the bureaucratic structure to even produce "official papers"?

Also, why is Ulric's solution to just step in and say "hey buddy your family's gonna die if you don't let us in"? That's like, low-level racketeering talk.

e: Also, remember how that blockbluster hit video game Mass Effect had to laboriously spell out its morality system and then hid the stats from you? Oh right, it didn't. And it's not like Mass Effect is a particularly subtle game.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

I feel like this game is less...insterestingly bad the the first.

It definitely is. There's still little moments of hilarious insanity (Valessa and Fornite barging into Seibar's room to settle a pointless argument, ect) but for the most part what's on display here is Klace's utter inability to actually write an engaging story.

Just think of it as a different kind of pain! :buddy:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I dunno if Klace has confidence issues or something but drat near every action in this game is done slowly, softly or faintly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Blasmeister posted:

I dunno if Klace has confidence issues or something but drat near every action in this game is done slowly, softly or faintly.

It is a writer confidence issue, but not in the way you're imagining. The guy shamelessly promoted his garbage pile to win a furry game award, after all.

A writer constantly qualifying their writing with adverbs generally shows that they have no confidence, either in their ability to let context set a scene, or in their audience to connect the dots.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm guilty of overusing adverbs too but at least I don't use the same two or three for absolutely everything.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

inthesto posted:

A writer constantly qualifying their writing with adverbs generally shows that they have no confidence, either in their ability to let context set a scene, or in their audience to connect the dots.

Yeah, I've had this problem before and I'm not sure I've gotten over it. I should write more to find out.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Wait. Carmen is a dude?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PureRok posted:

Wait. Carmen is a dude?

I was confused too given Carmen's almost exclusively a feminine name.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PureRok posted:

Wait. Carmen is a dude?

It’s actually a gender neutral name, it’s just associated with women in modern times than men, largely thanks to the Bizet Opera and Carmen Sandiego, but there is a ton of historical male Carmens out there.

So, ironically, Carmen the man is the one normal, appropriately named character we’ve encountered in this story so far.

E: Oh and I guess Lilith too. ...Did Klace jut forget to run them through his name jumbler or something because the way this game is going so far they should be like Lillefth and Cerman and poo poo.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 13, 2019

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I have to assume a good chunk of the names in the game are backer OC names. That or the mishmash of fantasy, mundane and just plain odd is yet another writing crime to pin on Klace.

E: ^^ how quickly we forget Shane

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 13, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't usually mind the whole 'Aerith and Bob' situation in stories if it's done well, e.g. Elves generally have names like Illithandrielle, Dorfs names are stuff like Ragnarr Skallagrimsson, humans go for names like Robert and John etc. Properly executed, it can really add to the general feel of a fantasy story, and might even provide some worldbuilding for even minor characters, like say a human named Tom Mithandrielle's got to have something going on.

It's not done well here.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I hate Carmen the least out of all new characters and I hope Klace doesn't change that by trying to give him an arc or something

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Triumvirate have no heads under the hood, there is NO other explanation for how you cannot see anything otherwise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

I don't usually mind the whole 'Aerith and Bob' situation in stories if it's done well, e.g. Elves generally have names like Illithandrielle, Dorfs names are stuff like Ragnarr Skallagrimsson, humans go for names like Robert and John etc. Properly executed, it can really add to the general feel of a fantasy story, and might even provide some worldbuilding for even minor characters, like say a human named Tom Mithandrielle's got to have something going on.

It's not done well here.
Thing is, those are basically Tolkien (/DnD/Warhammer/fanfic...) conventions. Why the hell would your unrelated work have Tolkien conventions? Most fantasy is derivative, sure, but that's never a strength.

Blasmeister posted:

I have to assume a good chunk of the names in the game are backer OC names.
I would really, really, really like to believe this is the only reason we have to put up with "Pro".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, those are basically Tolkien (/DnD/Warhammer/fanfic...) conventions. Why the hell would your unrelated work have Tolkien conventions? Most fantasy is derivative, sure, but that's never a strength.

For me, it's to add some verisimilitude to a story- after all, a dude from Iran, a woman from China and an American person would all have different names and cultures, and meeting someone with a name like Joseph Abdullah or Heather Wong not only tells me a little about them, but also how globally widespread a culture is. By that same dint, if I'm reading a fantasy story where the MC is named/meets Thomas Alithandriel, I get a general picture of how the world is like without having to read 500 words on how long the alliance between men and elves has been going on.

anilEhilated posted:

I would really, really, really like to believe this is the only reason we have to put up with "Pro".

:same:, dear God :same: