Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically right, but not quite.

There's regular people.
Then there's humans who make contracts, who are basically normal, but they might have some odd traits because of their deals (Like Sawatari's snake eyes). Most Devil Hunters are contractors.
Hybrids are humans with Devils for hearts. It's more a nickname than anything else, since they haven't been officially named in the manga, but they're the rarest group. Right now we know of four. (Denji, Katana Man, Quanxi, and Reze). They're basically Devilmen from Devilman, which makes fan translations calling Fiends "Devilmen" more confusing than it would be otherwise.
Fiends are devils possessing corpses. They're weaker than pure devils, unable to form contracts like humans do, and have head deformities that give away their inhuman status immediately. Most of them are also too dumb and violent to function in society. When Power is a standout for social graces, you know you're dealing with a fun bunch.
Devils are Devils, but some look more humanoid than others, which tends to correlate to sociability. Angel Devil's a standout since he's not naturally homicidal at all. We don't know if they can make contracts with other devils yet, but it would be odd if they can since fiends can't.

Has it ever really been explained why some devils choose to become fiends? Doesn't sound like they really get anything out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I assumed he was trying to get Yoshida to just gently caress off, but then there was free food on offer, and Denji wasn't going to pass that up.

Yeah, Denji strikes me as the type who would never say no to an offer of free food even if he was a billionaire.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 1, 2022

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Kind of surprised War didn't buy Denji's claim and pop out and try and murder him.

Or just claim him as a disposable boyfriend-weapon.

Loving this manga. It’s just perfect.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Japanese high school is optional, requires testing to get into a good school, and isn't automatically state-sponsored. You can get a full ride most of the time without too much effort, at least for public school, but Denji would not know how to navigate the paperwork, I'd think.

If the government can afford to hire Yoshida to be his handler, you'd hope they could afford an actual social worker to make sure he gets some help claiming social security, and make sure he has enough life skills not to burn his house down... but given the kind of manga this is, there probably are no social workers.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So Chainsawman is just gonna be wacky high school romcom hijinks from now on I guess?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Are you kidding? She is going to get a weapon contracted to the Justice Devil. Best day ever.

Yeah, I’m guessing whatever happens with Yuko is going to be used to establish the ground rules of what Yoru can and cannot do with friend-weapons. Teacher and class president weren’t around long enough to explain much and it’s probably going to be pretty important. Also, poor Asa. Getting a loser boyfriend at the cost of her bestie.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Wild detail I just noticed on rereading: The War Devil doesn’t remember World war 2.

Chainsaw devil ate the Nazi devil.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Thinking about it, how the hell did Yuko even established a contract with Justice Devil, considering it was sent to Hell like...two? three? days ago by Yoru. That's a bit fast for a natural turnover back to Earth. And in the exact same location too.

That wasn’t the Justice Devil. It was just the class president using her contract powers. That won’t kill the Justice Devil any more than Aki dying killed the Future Devil.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that reading denji's mind is enough to make anyone stop being a fan of chainsaw man.

If spending welfare money on gambling is enough to justify murder, being a hormone-fuelled teenager is practically guaranteed to end in death.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MizuZero posted:

chainsaw manga - a girl and her stupid

A girl and her chicken. :colbert:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ha! I'd forgotten just how much of a dumbass the Zombie Devil was.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Interesting, so Yoru can make weapons out of inanimate objects as well? Calling it now, Yoru’s going to weaponise the shoes that Yuko gave her to walk home with.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hey, we had to give way on something and it was either a comprehensive health and safety review or breakfast on the company tab. I don’t know about you but I like having a free breakfast.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well that was unexpected.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

What the hell who is that

is that the Justice devil? Justice fiend?

Given the “sister” line I assumed it was Nayuta (Control 2.0) since it’s not like she ages on a human scale anyway. Could also be Death or Famine I guess.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

symbolic posted:

so Yuko's a fiend now? didn't see that coming but hell, makes sense

It’s a bit odd I mean I don’t think Justice was actually present when Yuko transformed. That was just a devil contract. On the other hand, if the other girl was Famine it would make sense for her power to be able to force another devil to eat/inhabit a corpse.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

If Yuko gets pressganged into the state Devil Hunters as a fiend, will Kobeni be her cool senpai?

Yuko and Kobeni would make for some potentially amazing sociopathic comedy writing.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Wouldn’t it be convenient if Twitter had some sort of way to verify that an account actually belonged to the person it purported to belong to? Do you think Elon Musk could find a way to implement such a marvellous innovation?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The wacky high school romcom continues.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah fiends are a straight up downgrade from pure devil forms. I can never remember where that’s stated but I also remember it being said to be a survival mechanism. It’s also not clear if it’s very reversible.

That’s the general rule yes, although exactly how much of a downgrade it is seems to vary wildly. Violence was noted as being much less of a downgrade than normal without his mask. And Yoru doesn’t seem to have lost any power at all, since she notes that Asa can make weapons just as strong as anything she can make. (Although Yoru was already crippled by Chainsaw before she possessed Asa.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I just want you to know that I appreciate this.

I know, right? It really is the perfect obscure reference.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Asa is pretty darn cute.

sube posted:

So she'scalled the famine devil but she's focused on right and wrong? Kind of weird naming. Good chapter though

Probably a Biblical reference to the passage generally taken to refer to famine:

quote:

And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

This is, on balance, not one of the better dates Denji has ever had.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

He'll be fine, he's got plenty of control.

But alas, not much taste.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Asa’s new boyfriend is a bit of a doormat, but they are super cute when they’re having fun.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Big Leg posted:

yoru kind of has the same manic drive for revenge that aki had, it's just against denji. but i agree if we do end up mirroring the main cast from the first part that it would be someone else.

Student council president maybe? If Aki didn’t have the drive to avenge his family I could totally see teenage Aki being a pretentious douchebag like that guy.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Asa really likes cake.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

My fake-money's still on her turning up as a substitute teacher once the Devil Hunters actually cotton on the the fact something seriously off the wall is going on at this school.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Flair posted:

The mangaka is at the point where the true intentions and themes of the manga are slowly revealing themselves again, inch by inch.

Also, I am certain that Fami set up that death to frame Asa/Yoru; I suspect she sees some way for Asa and Yoru to grow by becoming marked as a criminal.

If it goes that way, that seems more like something Justice would do than Fami. We haven’t heard anything from the Justice devil in a while.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

That was because of Makima's mind control and we know all effects of Devils are dispelled when they die, so if anything, she would be pretty pissed about it and want to murder Nayuta.

Except the zombie devil. For some reason. I suppose he’s dead already or something?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Different forms of love have existed for a long time and filial vs attraction is a fundamental example.

Indeed but their choice of phrasing was still creepy as hell and I hope it was just bad word choice.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm surprised Falling even offered to send Denji back and didn't just outright try to kill him again.

Falling Devil does seem to have a moral compass of sorts. Just a terrifyingly monstrous one.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Right,how much does an aquarium cost again? Certainly not like 7,000 dollars (unless you're Asa)

Consideration must be sufficient but need not be adequate.

...is what Asa would say if she were a law student, but she's kind of a dumbass teenager. I fear for the human race when she works out she can buy the whole world for a peppercorn.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah. We see with Makima that the powers of the Four Horsemen don't just need them to know it's possible in the abstract, but to believe whatever the situation is. A million yen is a lot of money to a broke teenager, so processing the difference between it and the hundreds of millions of yen the aquarium actually is valued at requires mental work, especially because the million came from a pile of infinite money.

Asa might be able to say "I can buy anything for a nickel", but she won't believe it, and thus she can't do anything with it.

Give her a few years and a law degree and that can be fixed. Hmm... there's the potential for a really terrible, self-indulgent fanfic there.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

this is chainsawman, i would say that is a plausible scenario

Devils are… kinda dumb. Even when they’re honestly trying to help. Except Power, of course.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Sindai posted:

I enjoy Fami just constantly stealing food.

Fami is what Makima would have been if she had way simpler life goals.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Does make me wonder what's going on with public safety. Like, was Yoshida seriously the best they could do for Denji's handler?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I kinda want this girl to be Justice. I don’t think she is because Justice’s powers have always used a white colour scheme and this girls colour palate is dark. It’d be funny though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Eimi posted:

And just like that they turn me around on Public Safety Stalker. drat. Also hybrids are making a huge loving mistake threatening Nayuta

Yeah, I mean, someone whose reaction to grief at the loss of loved ones is measured and humane? In Chainsawman? This one's a keeper Denji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

you mash a guy's nuts into paste one time and the dude holds a grudge for it forever, jeez

I mean, to be fair, it was a heckuva lot more than one time. It was an entire tournament arc!