Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Official iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This chapter was everything I didn’t know I wanted but especially what definitely felt like a nod to Goodbye Eri at the end with how abrupt and needless the gore explosion was Or in other words:

muscles like this! posted:

What an eggcelent chapter

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess humor is subjective but having a lovely cartoon mascot but it’s a decapitated chicken ingratiating itself with the kids it’s supposed to killed by is a pretty funny bit

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
man, I think Denji’s actively gotten stupider, like he was never smart but you’d really think he’d be able to already guess from public reception and all of part 1 that Chainsaw Man fangirl action is gonna be hollow and empty.

Not that, you know, I’m complaining. Super stoked to get a rehash of the “Denji tries to grab a titty” arc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, it sort of seems like he was being massively ripped off/extorted at least partially because he didn’t have a great grasp of that stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t heard a single thing about a Chainsaw Man dub one way or the other.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

They just announced the dub is going to premier its first episode at NYCC a couple days before the Japanese premier, so episode 1 will be up for streaming at the same time as the subs release.

Huh, neat. I’m guessing they don’t have a cast list yet?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Fungah! posted:

absolutely lmao at asa not believing denji because no one would be stupid enough to out themselves as chainsaw man

the best part is pointing out that he’s calling himself a Chainsaw Man fan and wearing a shirt too, because who would be such a loving loser to do that and be Chainsaw Man?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I have no loving idea what a muscle devil is but I’m sure when I reread this I’ll be mildly offended they were cut.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

So the whole point of brimgimg back giant justice devil was to expose chainsaw man?! Lol this manga is wild

I don’t even think Chainsaw Man was exposed, at least not in the sense that our new MCs know who he is. Or at least, it seems like it’d be funnier if that’s how it played out so that’s how it’s gonna be.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just from the clips I can see how the anime-onlies would find her annoying but at the same time I fully understand the Kobeni hype after seeing the clips.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Popo posted:

Also, for those not reading the anime thread, have some rank-nasty gifs of Himeno being a mother bird from the latest episode;
]

Animation is gorgeous.

Lol, I was worried they’d have to censor it but if anything that just makes it better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now I’m kinda wondering, can a weaponized devil just turn back to normal by drinking enough blood? It would be pretty funny if Denji just turned into a sentient chainsaw for a bit and then popped back to normal after experiencing excruciating pain.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t believe we get such a quality chapter on a break week. Hope Fujimoto’s doing okay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sube posted:

It'd work on me so it's a loss for Denji, really

Those sea animal facts are legit fascinating but I have to agree with Denji/Yoru, she was just reciting that poo poo rote and also could have done the penguins earlier since they’re freaking penguins.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna be honest, going off the name I definitely did not expect the premise to be (intro spoilers so not a huge deal but whatevs)protagonist with hyper regeneration get burned by flames that only die with their victim but regenerates faster than the flames can burn him, spending ten excruciating years becoming gradually numb enough to properly function. Hell of an origin story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda wonder if Denji’s a vegetarian now? He probably still likes food a lot but I can see him just avoiding red meat at least pretty much forever. Or he just got over it completely, either or with him!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

You think anything would put Denji off of eating food?

I mean, there’s still every other not meat thing ever, and chicken and seafood, maybe not chicken breast though…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Lol at how true "Every woman you meet tries to kill you" is

that poo poo gave me a good laugh for sure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Translation note: In Japan corn dogs are literally called "American Dogs" so the idea of an French American dog is extra funny

drat, that’s an amazing lost in translation joke.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone read the second set of Before Chainsawman that came out recently? I read the first two, enjoyed that his idea of a “normal” story was still kinda weird. Also the ultimately pro-trans aspect of the second story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ugusername posted:

Man Fujimoto really thought that people couldn't relate to a literal trash eating teenager that wanted boobs. So he gave us Asa.
Yeah my man, that is actually me. I look for cm every week to affirm my existence now fr fr

Idk, I think he just wanted a main character who’s broken in a different way than Denji and had a devil that was far, far more toxic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fire Punch is so bleak and often simultaneously absurd that it feels like black comedy at least sometimes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Didn't like the lyrics when reading it, but hearing it made it click and made it a great chappy

Yeah same, I just thought it was a weird made up song but actually having the context makes the chapter skyrocket to top ten.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scholtz posted:

So, between steak, sushi, or Chinese food, which would you pick to eat every day?

I guess I'd have to make sure to not eat too much fish/heavy metals but I'd pick sushi.

chinese food for sure, it’s such a broad spectrum you could probably have a unique dish for a year straight before running into repeats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pochita was really the goodest boy. :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

codswallop posted:

Oh my loving god, I finally get it. Hammer bangs his wife, screwdriver screwed his wife

gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Flair posted:

Having Denji admit that he likes Asa a little bit especially given her powerup is probably leading to some scenario where Asa transforms Denji into a chainsaw that is even stronger than a nuke.

its gonna be so funny when Denji turns into a Chainsaw Sword and then just turns back to normal ten minutes later because he “died” and was soaked in the blood and viscera of his enemies for an instant heal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
idk, I can’t blame anyone for not vibing with Part 2 as much as 1, but it feels silly to say that Denji only having dogs as important non-Nayuta individuals is a flaw since it’s kinda The Point that Denji is a friendless high schooler who’s put all of his effort into raising his foster kid and is living a hollow life to give Nayuta what he thinks is a good one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Leafed through my bitchin rad box set because some people said there were issues with the volumes (none that I saw, guess I got lucky) and man, the final confrontation with Denji and Majima is such a downer, it’s one of the smartest things Denji did in the series and it’s entirely in service of him admitting he was literally nothing to the girl he loved.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since devils are the manifestation of human fears, I wonder if some of them are just modernized versions of things that always existed, and by extension if those devils just kinda mutated from the older phobia. There’s probably weapons and tools that used to be feared before falling out of ubiquity like guillotines, but idk if those things just go the Bucky route of just being little guys.

…huh, I kinda wonder if Pochita’s entire existence is meant to counteract the fact that devils never conventionally die otherwise but new fears/phobias are being created by humans. It could be that he was just manifested into being because there were too many things to be scared of and someone needed to cull the demon world, and he’s just the Chainsaw Devil because of the whims of a higher power.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, seeing Denji in color really reminds me of how loving painful Chainsaw Man mode must be, it’s something I kinda gloss over in black and white a lot of the times

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
antagonists trying to revive Chainsaw Man by ruining his life: haha yes this rules

antagonists being literally devoured by Chainsaw Man after destroying most of the tethers he had to a normal life he didn’t want: well this sucks. What the gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Genuinely forgetting, has Denji ever eaten anyone in devil form? We all know he ate Makima, but that might not count for Chainsaw erasure purposes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Reading Fire Punch, this seems like a good place to post about it. Goddamn Chapter 46 is I think the bleakest poo poo Fujimoto’s written up to this point in time, which is somehow impressive in the context of recent Chsinsaw Man. It’s even more depressing because Agni is just a legitimately mentally unwell kid in a man’s body.

Also I got spoiled on it but lmfao that the main antagonists (?) plan is to get Star Wars Episode VII made.

Can’t wait to see how this wild ride gets crazier.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished Fire Punch. Not quite sure how to articulate how I feel about the end stretch, except it really was peak bleakness. lol Sun though, was a dumb kid and grew up into a dumb man who died a peak black comedy death.

Speaking of Sun, it’s interesting to look at this series and see the same idea of a cult based on a warped understanding of what’s ultimately just a strong guy be something that existed before Chainsaw Man Part 2. Same with the crying in the theater scene, feel like it was a very deliberate homage. And now I wonder how much of Fire Punch was plotted, like did he know all along that he wanted Agni to get mind wiped and named after Sun, and was that done just so we had the ending of “Sun” and “Luna” reconnecting after countless years before walking out of the theater (love that whole death metaphor btw)? I kinda just take it for granted that shonen authors are winging it except on the broadest strokes because of the format, but I guess Fire Punch was relatively short so it’s not out of the question.

It took a while to really grip me (probably around when Agni first contemplates the hollow nature of revenge and violence, but all in all:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fire Punch ftw.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think chainsaw man benefits from the bits of levity and connections the characters have with each other compared to fire punch. in fire punch it felt like the main character was driven by the fiat of the narrative to keep going and choose life rather than coming organically from the character i think in large part because his relationship with his sister and the way that drives him was done in a very 'told, not shown' way, so to me it never really felt like a solid pillar to rest so much misery upon

by contrast, by the time you have denji talking with the vestiges of power, it feels completely natural that he'll get up and keep going in the face of the previous few chapters

it's been interesting to read both as they released, because it's one of the clearest showcases of an artist maturing in their craft that i've ever seen. seeing all these elements from fire punch gel into an all time great in chainsaw man is fascinating

yeah, it’s kinda funny because Chainsaw Man and Fire Punch are night and day on a surface level but thematically it’s kinda retreading the idea of “what is life worth living for, even when it sucks”. Agni and Luna even pretty much directly parallel Denji and Luna in the first chapters in retrospect, huh? And yeah, it feels like we spend way more time with a smaller cast so it’s more of a slow burn when, say, Aki realizes he doesn’t care about revenge anymore and just wants to live quietly with his dumb demon kids.

poo poo, the protagonist being fueled mostly by revenge and realizing how little it’ll fulfill them, that’s another Fire Punch connection…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your quote broke the spoiler tags, might wanna edit that, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, isn’t the point of the aquarium buyout is that she knows she’s stretching the idea of ownership to an absurd degree? If anything blowing your college funds on machine gun turrets by using taxes as a partial justification is kind of a ripoff if you know you’re bullshitting yourself on some level.