Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mean... it's nothing like CSM (arguably), but I highly recommend Naoki Urasawa's stuff. Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto are phenomenal not-just-manga, but works of fiction.

Beautiful art, engaging characters, hard emotional beats, horrifying twists, and steeped wonderfully in the flavors of the eras they portray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Super Eyepatch Wolf posted an hour-long CSM vid that I very much enjoyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2m7fW5j5k&t=154s

(Time skipped to the beginning of the essay)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

That's a lie.
They also wanted to see the penguins.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That's loving amazing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Cool and quiet-appearing character who is actually a panicking dumbass needs to become a new trope.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That was the one with, like... the red guys, right?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's the Bad Date Devil and it just feels like it'll never loving end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BigOwlGuyBMJ posted:

Denji saved that penguin.

Denji's love for animals makes him the perpetual best boy.
He looked so put out when he didn't get to keep that penguin.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's a question that I don't remember if they answered: Were the Earth-borne devils that were killed in Hell reborn in Hell or on Earth?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Steve Yun posted:

Devils on Earth who get killed wake up in Hell and vice versa

I forgot who it was, I laughed because a Devil got killed and showed up again days later, meaning everyone in hell hated them too

I was curious if there was a technicality issue since they weren't on Earth when they died. Like, does it matter more that Beam initially woke up on Earth, or that he was finally killed in Hell? :v:

There could be a fun technically correct spin with an Earth-borne devil being killed in Hell and being reborn on the spot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Denji has proved himself by taking care of a cat, a half-dozen dogs, and a Damien- I think it's time we trust him with a girlfriend.

As long as he promises to feed her and take her on walks.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Future Devil would rather hang out alone in a dank cell forever than roam free in Hell. And he's so sociable!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Power's a Nobel Prize contestant. Pretty sure she can remember something that happened like, last year.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Denji is actually very good at taking care of things and that's adorable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Wollawolla posted:

What’s in the fridge? How much leftover Makima could he still have?

It's where Nayuta keeps her Go Gurt.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
*Gets an anime that draws from Western cinema adapted from a mangaka who loves Western cinema so much that he's based multiple characters in multiple stories on Western cinema*

Otaku connoisseur:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The folks who are harassing the director and making petitions to remake the anime and calling for boycotts are absolute shitheads. I don't think anyone's angry at the people who are, "Eh, I like the manga better."

Whether you like the anime or not, it's real hard to argue that it wasn't made with sincerity and love for both the source material and the craft. The people involved very evidently put a lot of faith and effort into the project and they really don't deserve to be poo poo on for it. There was so, so much in the anime that they didn't need to do, but did. Even when it doesn't succeed, there was only failure because they tried in the first place. And that's what pushes the medium forward. There was a poo poo-ton of risk in this project and I respect the hell out of it even if I don't always agree with it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Manga readers salty Trigger passed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I avoided CSM for a really long time because I was expecting it to be like Kill La Kill. As lovely as Trigger animation is, I goddamn hated KLK.

I am extremely happy the anime focuses on Denji and Power's panic over the loss of their pets, and Himeno drunkenly stumbling through her apartment, and the sensuality of touching a lover's hand, and it goes without saying that the Aki morning routine is peak "I get this." It's all that stuff that separates CSM from hyper-violent, hyper-sexed schlock... which I can absolutely enjoy, but it doesn't move me.

The little scene of Denji and his WINNER! is the kinda of thing in the manga that make me go, "This isn't just fun, it's good."

Also Himeno's death I'm E8 was loving perfect, oh my god, the rattled breathing against silence as the shadow passes to reveal her empty clothes cut to blackAAAAAAAAAA!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Broke: hitting a demonic child lightly on the head.
Woke: Letting a normal child die because he isn't a hot chick cat.

Denji is a good boy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MorningMoon posted:

Bigger Yoshida Theory

I snorted so loud at this, I woke up my dog.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Unrelated, but artists usually get poo poo on for using copy/paste panels and I just adore how Fujimoto uses them always to superb effect.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yoshida lives all the way through part 2, then dies on the last page of the last chapter when Kobeni accidentally hits him with her car.

This is how they reintroduce Power. Who of course was walking by, innocently, undriving.
Unless he was evil...?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lol, was Nayuta laying on Denji's butt when she said she smelled something nasty?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Chainsaw Man best when it surprises me with some dumb poo poo and thus far I have not been disappointed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My big problem with CSM's scheduling is that I ran out of CSM to read.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Brightman posted:

Okay but it's not great: https://w14.mangafreak.net/Read1_Chainsaw_Man_122

I think this site steals the most recent version, usually it's fine, but as of yet it's still the bad one.

Ha, that's so weird. I was thinking the translation was mostly okay, then it fell off a cliff into clunk.

Digging the giant freaky vag? devil.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Defeat Devil.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It'd be really funny if it was Suicide Devil and it just killed itself in Hell.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ooo.
Rideshare Devil.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Does Power cover the "poo poo, poo poo, I don't have a tampon!" Devil?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Elite posted:

The Nobody Laughed At Your Joke But Everyone Laughed When Someone Else Repeated It Louder Devil

Ohhh, I loving hate this devil.

Consummate Professional posted:

The angel devil has confused me a bit

Every time an angel shows up in the Bible, everybody's like, "Oh, poo poo! Oh, gently caress!" and the angel's like, "Don't be afraid, guys. C'mon."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's a thought: Could Asa weaponize that terrible memory itself? She definitely possesses it, it's a source of tremendous guilt... I don't recall if rules of physicality were made clear with her weapon creation power. There's obviously some conceptual wiggle room, as made clear by the aquarium spear.

Her literally weaponizing her trauma would be :discourse:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Space-brain theory: Kobeni is contracted with the Falling Devil.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pochita ate the Sliced Bread Devil but liked it so much he chose not to erase it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neo_Crimson posted:

My guess/hope is that both Denji and Asa lose to the Falling Devil and end up in Hell.

Because guess who's in Hell right now?

I want this to be true so bad. I want Asa to reach a feral Power through the power of cats.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's extremely fitting her W hinged on someone showing up to call her a loving moron.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I genuinely love that it's always possible you're simultaneously overthinking and underthinking any single element of this story.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 18, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also Nayuta bites like Makima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Denji's a safe lad to open your heart to.
I mean in-universe, narratively you're signing your own death warrant.