Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

"i want to bring back nukes" as war's motivation loving rocks

Poor war doesn't know about the concept of M.A.D. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol if you don't think that Mitaka is replacing Denji as the new protagonist.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

Random passerby cruise missile. Onlooking crowd bomber. Elementary school battleship.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The Fire Punch is definitely interesting, but extremely uneven. The beginning is carried purely by the intriguing and hosed-up premise while being plagued by too much edge and cheap "shock" moments. Then it finds it footing and becomes incredible, full of potential and you can see where the best of CSM came from. Then, when it enters the second half of the manga, it has one of the steepest drops of quality I have seen and the ending is a wet fart.

In short, Fire Punch is a manga of contrasts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Lol People like Kobeni, let’s make a high school version of her and see how it goes.

Yeah, and it rules.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lamebot posted:

I assume it means people willing/obligated to fight for war or Mitaka. Like a soldier.

She literally turned people into living weapons in the previous chapter. I really doubt she was speaking figuratively. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Every competent Devil Hunter who wasn't already stuck under her command probably stayed as far away from Makima and her schemes as possible. Considering the track record and average lifespan of Devil Hunters working for her, it would be just common sense.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I legit think that Evil Dead and/or Doom was one of the inspirations for the concept of Chainsaw Devil.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Is that a new iteration of the Bat devil? Also yeah, Asa is so obviously going to die, that I begin to suspect that she actually won't. Or at least not soon.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
She is in love with the Nuke devil, duh.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They're real, and they just had another one. Kobeni's car once again placed just above her:

https://twitter.com/CSPerfectShot/status/1555636446370856961

I don't trust this poll, because I agree with almost every placement, instead of thinking "what is that character doing there, this is some bullshit" as is usual for most manga popularity polls.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
All I got from this chapter is that cats are evil.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hey now, Asa is just starting out in the brave world of Chainsaw Man. She will get there soon enough.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I was initially a bit off-put by how Denji seemingly backslid in maturity, but then I realized that from his perspective, Yoshida is just some rando who suddenly began to try and intrude into his life, so it makes sense he does not give a gently caress.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yoru will fall madly in love with Denji without knowing he is the Chainsaw Man. Asa will continue thinking he is a loser moron.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The best thing about a possible relationship between Yoru/Asa and Denji is that there is a high probability that it will end with Denji having to eat his girlfriend again. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yuko was so obviously introduced just to become friends with Asa and then traumatize her further when she does something/something happens to her, that I am almost disappointed that there is no twist and it's exactly what has been going on. Although that's a hell of an execution. :stare:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

the best part is pointing out that he’s calling himself a Chainsaw Man fan and wearing a shirt too, because who would be such a loving loser to do that and be Chainsaw Man?

It is worth pointing out that this is the second time Justice Devil took its time to gently caress with Asa. Wouldn't be surprised if it's holding a grudge.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

I am unsure if the people the justice devil contracts with are being manipulated. Like was her sense of "justice" so strong beforehand she was ok with murder or is she basically being mind controlled via a hyper inflated sense of justice from the devil?

Thinking about it, how the hell did Yuko even established a contract with Justice Devil, considering it was sent to Hell like...two? three? days ago by Yoru. That's a bit fast for a natural turnover back to Earth. And in the exact same location too.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jerkface posted:

The Justice Devil wasn't killed the classmate just made a contract with it as well.

"I made a contract with the Justice Devil to find out how to reach my happy ending with Mr. Tanaka!"

Ah right, between Yoru, Denji, Makima and Power I kinda forgot that most Devils aren't actually personally involved with the people they make contract with and just remotely grant them powers . :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If spending welfare money on gambling is enough to justify murder, being a hormone-fuelled teenager is practically guaranteed to end in death.

I mean, Yuko very obviously agrees with you, considering what she is planning to do in the next chapter... :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Denji actually had some hesitation and second thoughts toward Makima when he was dealing with Muscle Devil, and I think it was cool to show that not even Denji at his lowest was desperate enough to swallow Makima's hook without some misgivings, as brief as they were.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yep, they skipped the Muscle Devil. A bit of a pity, but no big loss.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just watched ep 2. I have a feeling Power is going to be even more popular with the anime only crowd than she was with the manga crows. I honestly thought Power was a bit annoying at first but she obviously grew on me pretty quickly, and by the end of part one I was quite attached.

I also can't really tell if the anime is making everything Makima says and does a bit more sinister than it came across in the manga or if that's just my own foreknowledge coloring everything.

Denji picked up on the fact that it's not clear if Makima is a good person or bad person this very chapter/episode, so yeah, I would say that it was intended for her to be obviously suspicious since the very beginning.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It looks super cool, do you really need more of a reason?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the hybrids are a huge question marks that will almost definitely come up again. Nothing that happened to them at the end of Part 1 seemed like something that would put them out of commission permanently, they are not controlled by Makima anymore and unlike Devils, it doesn't seem like dying/being revived erases their personality or memories. Katana Hybrid and Bomb Hybrid are extra interesting, because both of them have a personal connection to Denji the human and not Chainsaw Man, and it is plausible that they would specifically go look for him. Although for...entirely different reasons, obviously. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm OK with Kobeni being Satan, actually.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
She has Makima's eyes. :tinfoil:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm kinda hoping she is not Nayuta. Her going back to Makima-style behavior after all of Chainsaw Man 1 and whatever efforts Denji could muster in the meantime would be pretty disappointing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that Control is probably much stronger than War or Famine in the setting, even though she's weaker than Death. War has been a thing of the past for decades, famine is a rare problem in most of the world... but control? In a world where your elected authorities can sell your life to a devil at a moment's notice, and that's if you're even lucky enough to be able to vote on them?

Yeah, fear of authority is going to be real common.

Eeeh, there are huge parts of the world where famine was, is or soon will be a deadly issue and I can't see Chainsaw Man world being much different.

EDIT: Ninja'ed

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm reading Fire Punch

what the gently caress

Yeah, it relies heavily on the shock factor at first, then it gets really good, then it gets really poo poo.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Super dumb theory time:Similar to Gun Devil situation, Pochita was a major, but not the only, part of Chainsaw Devil and there are other Chainsaw Devil parts contracted to different people and they are all lured in due to Denji public shenanigans being impossible to ignore. In other words, there is a whole bunch of Chainsaw Men (and Chainsaw Women) and they will probably try to kill each other fairly soon.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Denji has chance to form a relationship only if the girl tried to kill him at least once before, so everything is going smoothly, actually.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lol, due to Katana Man being designed with a permanently open mouth, I was convinced that he was screaming like a maniac in every single action panel. Him being mostly silent in the anime just feels wrong to me. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I agree with the anime poster. Spider devil should be ridiculously powerful hosed-up monstrosity. Prinz is extremely underwhelming.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fiends are also just straight up much weaker than their devil selves.

Do note that only Violence, Shark and Power are fiends. Prinz and Angel are full devils, just very human-like.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I would say that the Asa/Yoru situation is somewhere between being a Fiend and a contract with Devil. Yoru revived Asa, gets to live in her body and take full control if she wants, but Asa has full consciousness and free will, the whole thing is based on a contract, and it seems that the only power Asa/Yoru gets is the weapon creation which, while powerful, seems like something a mortal could get out of a contract with War Devil. Asa doesn't seem to get any inhuman features, transformations or super strength/speed/regeneration like Fiends or Hybrids.

Although that might be due to Yoru not wanting to blow her cover and holding back.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Terper posted:

The important thing to keep in mind is that Makima is trash, Makima is a nobody.

Surely, you meant to say that Makima is poo poo?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Truth should be repeated as often as possible. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I don't know why the deal with Prime Minister is considered so mysterious. He is (presumably) just an ordinary human. Makima would have him under control and agreeing to the contract in under three seconds.