Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Denji straight up hates transforming because it hurts when they come out, so yeah, I doubt it's pleasant.

Also this series owns even if I feel like Beam gonna die here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The art in this loving owns. Stuff just feels so impactful in its simplicity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is implied regeneration has a blood limit, so Aki might have been using foresight to know when she's vulnerable enough to attack.

She was fighting to cripple not kill and is clearly hinting she has a limit for the last couple chapters. Intentionally trying to avoid fighting if possible.

I think she's compassionate toward Denji but not that compassionate. It makes sense a bomb wouldn't be an endurance fighter. Or Aki is about to die, I guess, but this doesn't seem like the time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wasn't sure how to take the two months. Is that from his natural lifespan, or what he has left? The latter doesn't make much sense, but the former has the dramatic tension of a wet fart.

I like the little interactions in CSM. The characters have a pleasant natural feeling to them. The Violence Fiend (woop woop) being totally level headed is nice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

Latter.

Whatever mechanism the Curse Demon uses to take life, the Angel Demon does the same thing. So, Aki just lost 2 months of his remaining 24.

Meanwhile, Denji's too stupid to die.

Phrasing this is super weird since we're talking about predestination but I mean the former IS the 24. What future implied (in my reading) is he had some horrific fate coming up before that. Unless we're meant to take the reduction in lifespan as advancing his fate but that, like I said, kinda stops making sense.

Also I just realized Beam swallowed Denji mid-air to protect him.

How the gently caress does the author manga to make a devil living in the corpse of a human that is the embodiment of the fear of sharks an endearing character?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She literally just use rat teleportation. Rateleportation. I feel like she's going to turn out to be a domesticated horseman of the apocalypse or something.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And then of course as everyone else mentioned, poo poo on that level probably doesn't register at all to him given his life experiences.
I feel like that's actually going to be how using the summon works out.

I think a lot of these characters are just going to whiff humorously off Denji.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm usually a big fan of CSM's pacing but the last two chapters could use a bit more breathing on the designs so we can familiarize.

Also I kind of agree that Power was a bit annoying, I like her bit, but if people just let her do stupid poo poo without saying "That was stupid poo poo" it loses its appeal. CSM is good for feeling like the whole coasting on tropes thing just gets a character killed instead.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's not what I expected when Viz made me sign up. I was thinking 'how much more violent can this manga even get?'

Good chapter though, lot clearer, stone devil power owns.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So with Chainsaw it has been hinted he is using a small portion of his potential.

This, to me, looks like seeing what a lot of potential for the katana devil looks like.

And Denji's face is "ugh not THAT MOVE again"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sometimes CSM moves a bit too fast for its own good.

But gently caress, even speedscanned, that art is fantastic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Denji is actually the Doom Slayer and that's why the devils are all very concerned about his rise in power.
Better story than Eternal, would also explain the fact the chainsaw is always out of fuel

edit: I just realized my title is perfect in this thread as well. I am so very pleased.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah that has to be something like she bonded with the bow&arrow devil, or more the hunter devil - fear of being hunted is a thing too

Also I enjoy that antagonists repeatedly make the mistake of underestimating Denji's willingness to rip and tear

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

gently caress this manga puts such a huge smile on my face over and over. He's the stupid idiot shonen protagonist perfected. That last panel is perfection.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like how the panels are perhaps the most metal thing I've ever seen while the dialogue is the least metal thing ever seen. It reads like dialogue between a DM and the stubborn paladin player who just keeps fighting. And it's so perfect.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As weird as some of the visuals are in this chapter - in a good way, mind you - it's shocking how we really get hit home with the idea that Denji is learning and feels sympathetic both inward and outward. I feel like he was on board with leaving Power behind until he realized they would be leaving her in the care of the safety goons that were draining blood from her before. Back then, he didn't care, but here he realized what he did before.

Also it really hits how brutal this manga is when a chapter takes time to unpack. And I think Kobeni might legit be out because her friend died in front of her. And he actually was a good dude in the end!

Seriously that alone makes me appreciate this manga so much more. It's so good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Acerbatus posted:

Considering how human Angel looks, pure devil is hardly out of the question.
They did straight up say the more human a devil looks, the more willing they are to cooperate.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What a weird chapter. I feel like she's dead, but there's something really jarring about how he starts to fall asleep and then Makima executes Power with an ability we've not seen her use on panel while Denji is confused about cake that wasn't referenced when he was last with Power. Wasn't he supposed to be bringing her something? Especially given how much emphasis there was on Aki experiencing something that was a distortion of the real world. Dunno. Trippy.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm curious what Makima's original plan was here. She quite obviously expected Denji to ask for sex, yet she invited Power over with a birthday cake? Did she intend to go "hey lemme kill power real quick then we can bone" or something? It's also interesting that she specifically ordered Denji to open the door rather than open it herself. All she did was a finger gun, it's not like she needed both hands. My best guess for that is to really load him up with guilt so he becomes more reliant on her. Although I guess we'll need to see what happens next chapter to have a better guess.
I think she can just have her ring the doorbell whenever she wants, assuming this is all real. Last we saw Power she was waiting at their apartment for Denji to come back with a rice ball. So suddenly she's there on command with cake.

Power doesn't look all there in the panel. And Denji's hands are cold again.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

goblin week posted:

That's dumb. That's it??
Yeah this was kind of stupid but if this is arc 1 of 3 I think we're just fleshing out motivations here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ZZZorcerer posted:

Maybe Makima grudge is with Pochita and not Denji
That is what was implied, yeah. Maybe. Denji is a means to an end, she wants the contract broken. Not sure why.

She's lying nonstop in this chapter. He couldn't save Aki, he was already dead, and he has nothing to do with her killing Power. But that's kind of the point, Denji is reeling. I don't think she gives the slightest gently caress about killing some drunk.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So we were assuming that "opening the door" would be transformation, a full grasp of his powers. Later we assumed it was his memories and what that would do to his mind. What if the pandora's box thing is, you know, actually what he means?

What if the contract allows Denji to release all that consumed by the chainsaw back into the world? Devils are the power of a perceived threat and the chainsaw obliterates them from being a threat til they cease to exist at all, but maybe she's really messing with things out of her control here?

Just a theory. This chapter is kinda oddly contradictory. Beam seemed to imply there's a more specific wish in mind, not general worship.

Also people did say they believed it implied the world didn't exist like this until relatively recently. This kinda hints at that. I kinda think there's more going on anyway. Like I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of all this we find out Makima is just loving lying nonstop, just constant lies, like they're not even her dogs level lies

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So little thing, Denji noted can we ban that move and the full power form just destroys it anyway. I kinda get the feeling this version is stronger than before and has learned from Denji fights. Which is a weird thought.

The progression is him piledriving Bow and then dicing Katana up, leaving Sword, Bomb, Whip, Gun(Pistol? Looks different) and... Stick? Big Stick guy? alive?

I love this

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

goblin week posted:

His head kinda looks like a futuristic car so I choose to believe it's the car accident fiend
And we're just misunderstanding him shifting gears to change forms?

Honestly that wouldn't even not fit this manga. CSM is glorious that way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is the translation worse in the Viz version? She says 'who are now here' and in context it appears to be referring to people who, ya know, aren't there

golden bubble posted:

He kicked both Sword and Bow, and he's holding both their decapitated heads+spines in that shot. Then he goes No U to Katana. So Bomb, Whip, Flamethrower and Spear are left.
Oh poo poo. In the speed scan I couldn't even make out the detail of the second kill. Daaaamn.

In the better scan it looks like he destroyed Whip and Flamethrower with the kick off too.

Also I really gotta say the art in this chapter is amazingly good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

At least this explains why Aki's death got so much screen time

and also why his death was even worse than we thought

Fancy Hat! posted:

Hey So.... that thing that showed up when the spear of thrown... could that be Kobeni's contract devil... or just a side effect of it being AN INSANELY POWERFUL WEAPON?

WHO KNOWS ANYMORE.
I think that's something to do with Angel's power

or maybe the punishment devil thing from before?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The statement is the admiration and gratitude of humans actually consumes the fear of Devils. That there's an interface between them.

It's also new information that the fear of Devils is empowering as fear of Humans does, so I dunno, makes sense to me.

This chapter is pretty drat jarring though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Kishibe is around and presumably still on the kill Makima plan tho
He could realize Denji is important and smuggle him out.

Maybe Act 2 will be Kishibe, Kobeni and Denji going on a road trip or something

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda hate this, but that Power as a demon design is loving fantastic. Like really, really cool.

Also it kinda further hints Pochita seals not obliterates, but I dunno.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I read the spoilers last night and expected this chapter to suck and instead it's so good.

I don't like some individual chapters but as a story CSM is just so well put together

Also I called it he's getting Denji out of there. Road trip time pls!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Little thing that threw me off with this chapter is the gauntlet garbed fist in the end.

Denji has the upgraded arms in his hybrid form now. Dunno what change that implies though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Makima cares whatsoever for the hybrids. Watching them flail around seems to amuse her rather than draw her into giving them commands. They made that bet in front of her when she knew they had absolutely zero chance of winning.

This chapter is definitely one better read non-speedscan, the action takes a little to unpack but it's so good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope we get a Kobeni spin off of her returning to devil hunting and just pulling off sick rear end flips and ninja moves while tripping over mundane tasks and screaming a constant stream of profanity as she and Kishibe defeat the other three of the Four Horsepersons. I don't think this is happening but imagining it amuses me greatly.

gently caress, it would be so funny to have a follow up manga showing how all the other devil hunters think Denji is just this stone cold too cool to feel fear badass hunter and the audience knows the truth

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Perfect ending to the arc. There's lots more places for this to go, but that felt good. ESPECIALLY the fact he remembered the dogs. That's some proper wholesome!

Only one thing I find kinda really stupid: Makima straight up says being consumed will erase her; therefore, she told them exactly what to do. It's why the ending works, her blindspot in her contract was her explicit desire.

Then again the two characters conversing are also explicitly stated to be screw loose idiots so, hey.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RatHat posted:

I think she wasn’t erased because it was Denji who ate her, not CSM. A hybrid is both human and devil. When they’re in human form only their heart is a devil.
No, other thing. The erasing (or lack thereof) isn't what I'm questioning.

She specifically says she wants two options - either she wins, or she gets eaten by CSM. The important part is just the part where she's saying its possible to being consumed. I'm saying of course the contract wasn't invoked to restore her. She explicitly says that's how to beat her - But she didn't consider Denji, who is so far beneath her, would be able to do it. She thinks only CSM could do the deed.

That's why the ending fits so well. She tells them how to beat her, they do it, then they act surprised? It's an odd wobble in an otherwise tight ending. Like I thought that was the twist, Denji hammers home she feels contempt for him, he's so nothing to her, then he gives her what she wants just not how she wants it.

Either way it's fantastic. Like I said, the manga also hammers you have to be a crazy idiot to be effective at the job. Hence the whole bit about him hitting on a lesbian for years to violent reprisal.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 12, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also one thing I thought worth mentioning, as further evidence atop the Power is great pile, there was that scene where Makima says Power has consumed too much and needs her blood drained.

I had thought at the time it was kind of an odd scene, but looking at the end, it kinda sets up that Makima has some wariness of full power Power.

chiasaur11 posted:

(After all, she was born because Denji and Makima became one flesh.)
This is a weird take but quite fitting for CSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Flair posted:

I wonder if the next arc will be K-ON but with chainsaws. Makima wanted to get eaten before by Chainsawman, so I wonder if she left specific terms in her contract to only die when eaten. Also since, if I recall correctly, it is established that devils revive in hell, who summoned the control devil in China?
If devils die in Hell they're returned to Earth. So it actually makes sense that they'd imprison and control devils/fiends, who also don't want to be sent back since they lose themselves.

I also was musing on how the eaten thing worked earlier. The two big chinks in her armor do seem to have been hinted at.