Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just binged this entire series in one sitting. i guess given the fact that i did the exact same thing with fire punch i shouldn't be too surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eustace posted:

Based on the authors previous work with Fire Punch, I can only see this series get darker and more depressing

yeah in fire punch it was explicitly in the moments when the protagonist self actualized and tried to aggressively solve problems that things would take an even bigger turn to the dark and depressing

i could be wrong, but i would bet when denji does come to his senses things will only get worse

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Manatee Cannon posted:

some people acting like this is gonna go full devilman crybaby but there's a limit to how dark a shonen jump series is gonna go

fire punch ran in shonen jump's online magazine. it had a lot more sexual stuff and explicit gore (at least as i remember it), which is more appropriate for an online offering, but i'm not sure how different the tone will end up being, especially given the events of the last 4 chapters

but chiasuar makes a very good point that the themes aren't necessarily going to be a 1 to 1 between an old work and a new series

it will be interesting to see how things will develop with the removal of several major and minor characters between the hell arc and the most recent arc. fire punch dealt with this several times by radically changing the setting in each instance, but that might be harder to do in a non-post apocalyptic setting

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
never before have i so quickly gone from "i can't believe this is the penultimate chapter" to "oooooohhhhhh, that makes sense"

what a great series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, i usually don't give much thought to popularity polls, but this was a real toughie. so many good choices...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Darth TNT posted:

Makima is cheating. Grilled Makima is still Makima.

as someone who voted for makima (grilled), i vigorously contest this notion

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress, this poo poo has my so hyped up. mob psycho 100 has shown me that it's possible for one of my top 10 manga to get an anime adaption with god tier animation, so i'm holding out hope that it happens again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dogsicle posted:

fujino, kyomoto

the axe attack is also a mashup of the Sagamihara knife attack (2016) and Kyoani arson (2 year anniversary today)

while reading it i couldn't help but think of the kyoani arson

great oneshot, i've been impressed since i started reading firepunch at how fujimoto can effortlessly convey emotions and a character's state of mind (which is often some manner of unhinged)

also the sudden turn into tragedy in a way that's so over the top and instantaneous that it manages to shock me as a reader so much i never read it as cheap melodrama. which reflecting on the plot points of firepunch and chainsaw man is kind of impressive

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean, you don't write firepunch and chainsaw man by being on a completely even keel

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm starting to suspect that fujimoto might like movies

he makes the signs real subtle, but if you look hard enough you can put together the pieces

edit: i think i personally prefer look back, but this was also great. i think as much as i enjoy the joke above, seeing the mangaka return again to one of their prominent symbols/themes in such an explicit way kind of took me out of it a bit. i don't know maybe i'll appreciate it more on a re-read. everything else aside, the punchline is excellent

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 10, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Oxxidation posted:

i think somebody's a little anxious about how his next series is going to be received

haha yeah, that's for sure

i can't tell at the end, if he's happy that the person he wrote the song for understood what he was going for, or just embarrassed about it. anyway, needed more ghosts 5/10

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
good chapter, i've definitely missed this series

the antics of bucky never really hooked me because i was waiting for the shoe to drop, but everything from the demon reveal to the end of the chapter was aces. the spine sword was disturbing on a visceral level. with all the hosed up stuff fujimoto has already drawn in chainsaw man and firepunch, i'm always amazed that he can still consistently suprise

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
but he was alive between getting his spine weaponized and the aforementioned asploded thing

if you look his head keeps making some kind of scream/gargle noise

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i found firepunch to be something i couldn't tear myself away from, and thoroughly enjoyed, but also not something i can bring myself to read again. i'm very glad creating it gave fujimoto a chance to work with ideas that he could then make much more coherent in chainsaw man

Lamebot posted:

I had to stop reading FP after the villain exposited their goal. It was too ridiculous for me.

for me that was the best moment in the entire series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dexo posted:

"Nah, I'm Good"

what a great line. i hope this guy isn't instantly turned into paste

edit: mitaka seems to be really against this possession thing in the cold hard light of day, but i think she doth protest too much

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the structure of asa's "i always trip at the critical moment" flashback was great. fujimoto just has such an ability to draw a story with so much more impact than a written summary would convey

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

symbolic posted:

im losin my fuckin mind

gently caress the bottom right panel killed me, so glad this series is back

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
poor asa just wants a friend. it can't be coincidence that the justice devil is showing up again?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm trying to keep myself from reading too much into the early stuff now that i have the context of the end of part one, but when the zombie devil told his minions to eat denji to stop him from regenerating, that has to be deliberate foreshadowing on fujimoto's part, right?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't know much about dogs, but I always appreciated a detail someone else pointed out to me: huskies are very friendly, but they're also incredibly noisy and difficult to control.

That Makima owns like seven and they're all well-behaved is a great bit of foreshadowing.

an example for people who aren't familiar with how willful and vocal huskies can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw5M-4Fo2wE

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
denji being the on the receiving end of the brooding loner routine is great

"i hate you. actually i'm just too dangerous, don't hang around me *proceeds to aggressively make out*"

i think our idiot boy is going to fall for it hard

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Wollawolla posted:

What’s in the fridge? How much leftover Makima could he still have?

have you seen the mess denji makes when he cooks? it makes perfect sense nayuta won't let him get food out on his own

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't usually buy physical releases, what are the odds that eventually there will eventually be a hardcover release of the volumes?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god, what a good chapter

asa falling asleep in a dog pile, denji negotiating nayuta, asa being incredibly not mad, all hilarious as hell

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i guess for all that i love fujimoto's characters, plotting, and humor, the thing i might find most compelling is just the really weird concepts or visuals that come out of nowhere. which is why bucky the friendly talking chicken carcass and yoru turning the teacher into a horrific living bonesword had me hooked from the first chapter of part 2. it's too off-putting not to like

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe watching her mother die saving her life might have something to do with it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Valentin posted:

this chapter also did a lot for me to pull Asa's part two arc into focus against denji's part one arc. a lot of part one for denji is about coming to acknowledge himself as not a dog but a person, who is allowed to have desires and feelings and to want to live for something more than mere survival even if that something is childish or stupid, which is why his emotional arc climaxes with the tearful realization that he actually wants a hundred girlfriends and steak every day for breakfast.

where denji's thing was that he framed himself as too animalistic or subhuman to understand or appreciate anything beyond mere material security, asa's skewed self-concept revolves around the idea that her basic need for togetherness and socialization makes her unacceptably hosed-up and grasping and needy because she is otherwise (more or less) materially secure. she consistently literally trips and falls when attempting to reach out to others to change her or their situation, with tragic results (the cat and her mom, Bucky, the phone), and I think both the class prez earlier and the orphanage owner here hit hard on the idea that she somehow has it too good. she literally has the realization at her moment of death in chapter 98 that she needed to live more selfishly but has been driven around by war so aggressively for 25 chapters she hasn't been able to do anything about it. and meanwhile denji, with nayuta to care for, is similarly starting to ask how much he is allowed to want (and a lot to unpack there about how young man denji has to be saddled with a dependent by the narrative to get to the point of questioning the permissibility of his own emotional needs while fujimoto has asa constantly reprimanded for being too needy simply for being a young woman trying to live her life).

making asa a teenage girl who's being driven into a cycle of self-loathing and despair because people around her constantly accuse her of having it too good based on the small glimpses they have of her life (heaven forbid a woman do anything), and then in turn having the dissonance between that and her obviously worsening mental health destroy her self-concept is very good and timely and an extremely fun turn after part 1

e: oh hang on wait "people around asa constantly accuse her of having too good a life based on the small skewed glimpses they have" is a great reason to have yoshida flag the concept of parasocial interaction and makes that part feel a lot more sane now. obviously in-fiction he's telling her to choose parasociality over real social relationships but it twigs for the reader that a non-zero number of asa's problems (beyond, you know, her mom dying and the horseman of the apocalypse in her head) are about people developing a false image of her based on those glimpses and punishing her for the image they created.

hmm, interesting thoughts, thanks for writing them up. it does seem to line up with a bit that stuck with me from this arc, when yuko is stuck as a devil and is talking things out with asa before leaving, she apologizes for being selfish, she only reached out to asa because she was desperate for a friend

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thinking back to the first training session with kishibe and power having to reset a broke brain denji and then looking at his tactics this chapter. kishibe really did make denji stronger, but probably not in the way he meant too

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this really has to be one of the best series i've ever read

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if there was an age of devils, we'd have no new chapters of chainsaw man

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
between himeno and this girl, denji is consistently most upset when a woman who doesn't want to kill him makes a move

at this rate yoshida is going to find a way to take the joy out of toast covered with jam

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
continue to love this series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Electric Phantasm posted:

Butts feel good

"chairs are content in their own way" is such a great line

christ i love this series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
something so indescribably powerful about a protagonist who finds his righteous anger when told he'll have to marry the cultist groupie after he sleeps with her instead of just getting to do it attachment free

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
"i jerk off in there!"

this series is a work of art

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
asa and power are both excellent, but power would bully asa mercilessly if they ever met

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
"alright kids, line up and take your gun"

ain't that the way every teenage cult go

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man part 1 showed what an intense general disdain fujimoto had for the yakuza, i guess in part 2 is going to be the moonies

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yoshida has a knack for being able to run in situations in which other devil hunter would stand around with mouth agape right before they're eviscerated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

"whatever's on educational tv"

i don't know how there are so many lines in this manga that i would never see coming, but feel so right the instant i read them

the characterization in this series might be some of the best i've ever read in fiction