Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am waiting for Door Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The manga does have a ongoing message on the proliferation of weaponry. The Japanese Government seems to have acquired the Hell Devil after their encounter with Santa Claus. I wonder what Devils and Devilmen are left with that internal conflict. I feel bad for Kishibe for having executed this plan after Makima got full control of Denji.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

RubberLuffy posted:

Had a thought

What happens if the Future Devil gets eaten by him?

The manga will turn into a shoenen anime that never ends...

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I do enjoy the implications that have been revealed so far, both in terms of themes and plot. From our initial viewpoint, Denji's actions and whims have simply been based on single-mindedness and short-term goals, but with what has been revealed thus far, the question becomes what actions has been his and what actions may have been affected by Makima's control. Then again, even if Makima had not influenced Denji's action in the past, would he have made the same choices? Do you have free will if you just follow what other people say? Does free will even matter if you adhere to your basic desires? I think the only time Denji has ever rejected a request from Makima is when he opted to stay with Aki and Power rather than spend vacation with her, and that may have been his only real choice he made since he became chainsawman.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Robviously posted:

I felt like I had this problem with Fire Punch too where he seems to skip around in the fights. I feel like he shows the wind up and the results but leaves us to imagine the actual middle part a lot. The last few chapters have felt choppy and tough to follow, I think as well.

Have to await an anime adaptation that makes it look good!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This manga keeps outdoing itself.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
drat, this chapter hit me right in the feels

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

I do enjoy the implications that have been revealed so far, both in terms of themes and plot. From our initial viewpoint, Denji's actions and whims have simply been based on single-mindedness and short-term goals, but with what has been revealed thus far, the question becomes what actions has been his and what actions may have been affected by Makima's control. Then again, even if Makima had not influenced Denji's action in the past, would he have made the same choices? Do you have free will if you just follow what other people say? Does free will even matter if you adhere to your basic desires? I think the only time Denji has ever rejected a request from Makima is when he opted to stay with Aki and Power rather than spend vacation with her, and that may have been his only real choice he made since he became chainsawman.

Ah looks like the themes are getting less and less subtle.

edit: Nonetheless, the theme it talks about is nuanced for a Jump manga. The lack of freedom is the norm; to be controlled and manipulated is normal. True freedom is an aberration. All hail the hivemind! All praise the algorithms!

Flair fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 10, 2020

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if the next arc will be K-ON but with chainsaws. Makima wanted to get eaten before by Chainsawman, so I wonder if she left specific terms in her contract to only die when eaten. Also since, if I recall correctly, it is established that devils revive in hell, who summoned the control devil in China?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Trailer's out.

I knew Aki and Himeno hosed!

Wow, Mappa have some cinematography and detailed shots that were not in the manga; this looks like a worthwhile adaption.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like how Fujimoto uses the properties of the manga medium to tell this story. That being, this presented as a mockumentary art house film would be also work.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hace posted:

you could also read it as a scene that they recorded earlier, with some other guy taking the part of older yuta in another acted scene. it would fit in with yuta always controlling the camera in every scene too.

I subscribe to the idea that it is a deepfake. Given theme of the manga, it would be fitting.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It was a short one but a good one. Just in time to just read his next manga

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I Am Fowl posted:

Enjoy a side by side comparison!

I enjoyed this callback as well

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

Based on what has been shown, I assume it's the kind of devil that accumulates power the more it touches living things and convert them into weapons, and eventually the final fight will just be the War Devil dumping loads of weaponry until Denji will vomit up certain fears that let it convert living things into more nukes or other weapons of mass destruction.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Based on what has been shown, I assume it's the kind of devil that accumulates power the more it touches living things and convert them into weapons, and eventually the final fight will just be the War Devil dumping loads of weaponry until Denji will vomit up certain fears that let it convert living things into more nukes or other weapons of mass destruction.

So far, I am 100% on predicting or identifying the theme or character intents of the manga. I hope I can keep this streak going.

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah my first thought was the similarity between the powers working on "things I own" and "people who I'm superior to". My first instinct was she should try to become head of the devil hunter club, but gently caress that, student council president election arc, Denji is hosed then, right?

Given what happened in part 1, ownership seems to be a vague yet all-encompassing concept for context of devil contracts and devil powers. Based on the events of part 1, being elected or hired into a leadership position gives you ownership, and being incarnated forfeits your ownership to the leader(s) of the state. Seems like the mangaka wants us to think carefully about what "owns" us and what we "give up" with our everyday interactions or inactions.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cuntman.net posted:

i got the impression that being a private devil hunter is a fairly cushy job and its being in public safety thats suicide

The mangaka likes to draw parallels to modern life

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

friendship could be considered a kind of ownership. they are my friend

I do wonder how War Devil's powers would work in a communist society where everyone has common ownership. If the War Devil did manifest in such a society, would she immediately have the ability to transform everyone in it? Based on what the mangaka is going for, yes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have a prediction: Yuko is going to die, be it sooner or later, in the human sense (or in the devil sense if she is secretly a hybrid/fiend).

This makes a lot of sense

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I've talked about his interview with Samura before, but it's worth tracking down the whole thing. It has everything from exchanges of compliments when discussing the differing demands of weekly and monthly manga to Fujimoto talking about why he thinks the art in "In this Corner of the World" is sexy.

The whole thing is linked in the thread: https://swordtranslations.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/fujimoto-tatsuki-and-samura-hiroaki-interview/

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, she's still fully focused on getting Chainsaw Man to vomit the Nuclear Weapons Devil. She wants to use Asa to gain power to do so, and ruining her life is apparently a really good way to make strong weaponry by warping her friendships.

I can only imagine the kind of power-up that comes with guilt. Asa probably has no guilt about the teacher during the advent of her own death, and he turned out to be decently strong sword. Or perhaps she is subconsciously guilt-prone, and the War Devil chose Asa because she observed Asa's guilt-prone inclination.

Nonetheless, the mangaka is coupling the theme of "guilt" with theme of "war". I can only imagine that he plans to bring up atrocities and egregious allusions of war.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Denji did not just solve the trolley problem, he solved the truth:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dunno. Denji not giving a poo poo about saving anyone seemed a little out of character but maybe things have changed since the last series and maybe he's more Chainsaw than Denji now.

A person can change personality after not having seen them in a while? Impossible!?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

That's technically correct, the best kind of correct

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

symbolic posted:

im losin my fuckin mind

SMH, Asa is kink shaming.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Scallop Eyes posted:

Fujimoto is really taking inspiration from american things huh

School shootings and people spending welfare on gambling. Fujimoto woke up and decided to make "justice" a motif.

Last Celebration posted:

the best part is pointing out that he’s calling himself a Chainsaw Man fan and wearing a shirt too, because who would be such a loving loser to do that and be Chainsaw Man?

If anything, I am surprised that superhero satire/parody has not capitalized on this kind of scenario yet.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

So, the Justice Devil's primary goal in life is to give power to teenage girls so that they can commit acts of massive violence that may or may not do any good at all?

I think I know what he looks like.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

galagazombie posted:

She’s poo poo actually.
:discourse:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
:ghost:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

The real issue is the Devils themselves, since, well... Makima is one of the nice ones. You're looking at 35% of the population dying to Devils. Murders cap out at 5 percent. Easy to see where the focus should be in terms of threat.

Wow wait, the anime just started. Some new people might have joined the thread from watching the first episode, and just read that line.

edit: I just realized that there is a separate thread for the anime. I hope the anime only watchers did not join the wrong thread.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would the anime giving Denji's kills a No More Heroes style guitar riff be too much?
Absolutely not! I would probably even want more!

Brightman posted:

One of my friends has been catching up on the manga. I asked them how far they've gotten.

"Just read chapter 80, Denji asked to be Makima's dog, poo poo's getting weird."

"Ah, you're coming up on a banger of a chapter then."

I'm going to hell.
:blastu:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jerkface posted:

The chapter definitely states that the inanimate objects turn into lovely weapons compared with the power of friendship poo poo

But if Yoru possessed Tom Hanks in "Cast Away," I think the volleyball would have turned into a powerful weapon.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I see one of two outcomes here; either Asa tries to Jojo the War Devil into a mental BSOD or "Save me, Chainsaw Man"

I predict the latter.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

But if Yoru possessed Tom Hanks in "Cast Away," I think the volleyball would have turned into a powerful weapon.

It seems like my inference of Yoru's powers are correct. Inanimate objects can still produce strong effects so as long as there is a strong emotional connection. Anyway, I wonder who is the older sibling of "War." Is it the Justice Devil that has been referenced twice already? Death? Something older than War.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

hbag posted:

halloween

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Annointed posted:

Justice reads denji's mind and it's all links to his Soundcloud

Denji's mind: Have you heard about our sponsor Raid: Shadow Legends?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Couple of interesting setpieces:
  • The Devil Hunter Club seems to have its own network. Also, the event is drawing parallels to school shootings and if students were trained to use guns and be equipped with them.
  • Yoshida still has a contract with the Octopus Devil. Given its versatility, I wonder what the terms of the contract are.
  • The unnamed devil from the last two chapters seems to have revived Yuko into a devil. Is this a term of her original contract? What devil power is tied into a human being reborn into a devil?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Given the trend in Shonen manga, perhaps we have finally come across a Copy Devil.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am assume the club president is the second "chainsaw man." It would make sense for him to kill Yuko. Also, I am surprise at this point that Denji does not have any trust issues when it comes to romantic relationships.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Seems like Fami has recruited the Eternity Devil given that Denji recognizes the ability. That being said, it got powered up last time by the gun devil; I wonder how its powers work unbuffed or if Fami has powered it up in some way. Fami does have this ability given that she can resurrect Yuko and make her powers go berserk.

MizuZero posted:

the aforementioned 30-armed species

Where is the Starfish devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Also, Asa and Fami sound like terrible dates. I am sure some people would like the Discovery Channel as a date, but she was not receptive to her date's somewhat reasonable suggestion.

GloomMouse posted:

Don't be silly, no one could be scared of starfish

If there is octopus devil, there can be a starfish devil: