Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I think I liked this one more than Look Back, I couldn't predict what would happen next at all, while Look Back was a little more by the book.

Also lol at the last page, even expecting it , it still gave me a smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
BRB, pitching a Fujimoto movie review show in the way of Urasawa's Manben.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
That idea of sprinkling a little of fantasy at the end is something he did on Look Back too, with the alternate reality at the end, and in some of his previous oneshots to a lesser degree.Pretty cool to see a mangaka lay out his philosophy/ideas to making their works like this.

Fabricated posted:

I think you can interpret the entire thing as the completed movie. The entire oneshot is the movie.

Definitely, the first page is a person looking up at their phone with the title of the work, and the big majority of panels are framed to fit in a phone screen.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Most of the one panels in the oneshot are very static, with basically a fixed camera, since Yuta is either holding it while filming the person he's talking to, or he's set it down to film himself. This changes in the ending though, where we get a lot more movement framing wise, the camera is changing angles almost every panel, like in the page where Yua asks if she won't live in despair.

Whether this supports the theory that that part is a movie or not I don't know, just found it interesting that Fujimoto is pulling all the tricks he can in this one.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Let's loving go :rms:

One good consequence of it being in Jump+ is no leaked spoilers too.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I wonder if the war devil completely took over, or if it's sharing the body with Makita's mind

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Amante posted:

P.S. She is obviously a hybrid and the new point of view protagonist.

This being chapter 98, and not Part 2 chapter 1 males me think Denji is still the protagonist, and this was just the villain setup.I'm fine with being wrong though.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
If both the nazis and nuclear weapons got erased from existence, do people even remember WW2?

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I hope Makita retains her personality so we can have a Spider-Man like situation where she hates Chainsaw Man but likes Denji (kinda like a reverse Makima too)

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I read somewhere that Fujimoto wanted every volume of Fire Punch to feel like a different genre of manga.I don't really know if that's true, but he certainly succeeded.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Lamebot posted:

Regarding Chainsaw Devil's unique powers. I don't think he originally had them, but instead gained them after earning the fear of other devils for his notoriously brutal fights. Their fear of encountering the Chainsaw Devil manifested the power to erase concepts related to them.

Maybe with Doom/Evil Dead/Warhammer 40k people started thinking chainsaws are extra effective on devils, and because of that they are.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Asa and War having an Eddie Brock and Venom relationship is great, and makes this seem even more like a Spider-Man story.

Can't wait for Asa to be friends with Denji while hating Chainsawman even more.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

I just fear what the Internet Devil would be

It would pale in comparison to the Speaking in Public Devil, now that's a final boss if I've ever seen one.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
If that's the Bat Devil attacking them in the end it's probable that Denji will show up, if not to kill it to ask about the Blood Devil in hell

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Dog Kisser posted:

Haha gently caress that's one way to solve the trolley problem

Somebody please edit Denji into this.

Also lol that i thought Fujimoto was having problems with the weekly pacing and he comes out with a 48 pages chapter.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Nuebot posted:

Power liked cats

Both happened after he killed the Bat Devil too

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 17, 2022

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Denji gamer moment

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Fujimoto is really taking inspiration from american things huh

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Fujimoto did draw a illustration of Asa holding a Chainsaw to promote the manga, it would be pretty funny if Denji got transformed into a weapon, but didn't die, basically becoming a Soul Eater weapon for Asa.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I love that Asa sucks at dating, and that Denji bailed after hearing "You don't need to think". That's some character development.

If this is indeed the Eternity Devil, I think Denji will end up turned into a weapon...voluntarily. After last time, there's a big chance Eternity doesn't show himself to Denji, and getting weaponized can act as bait for Asa+Denji to kill him.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Fabricated posted:

Imagine having so little game you can't pull Denji

On the other hand, her little remark about "Just entertain them for 30 minutes and they'll fall for you" makes me think she'll fall for Denji after he does 1 cool thing/actually pays attention to her.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

LostRook posted:

Fami might've actually saved the their date. If anything this chapter makes a romance between Asa and Denji much more likely and the comparison between the two come much more into focus.

Asa's remark about how easy it is to make men fall for you makes me think the second Denji does something remotely nice/cool she's gonna fall for him (and refuse to acknowledge it ).

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
1 million yen (7600 in today dollars) seems to low to buy an entire aquarium, but maybe it was different in the 90's.

That doesn't matter though, we need more pages of Asa and denji being cute and committing crimes together

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
And a cat. Or maybe Kishibe takes care of Meowy now?

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I knew it wasn't enough money, but that doesn't matter, Denji got to see a penguin! And also another date that ends with the girl trying to kill him., he really can't win for long .

If it does work on Denji, I hope he at least can speak in weapon form.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I love these dorks so much.

It's good to see Denji still takes most things in stride,him petting Yoru back was great.

Also I can't believe that after chiding him for caring about money too much, Asa is against a 2000 yen movie marathon.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I miss Nayuta's old hairstyle, this one looks too much like Makima. I loved the leashes connecting to her stomach like Makima's though.

All the little glimpses at Denji's life in the apartment are great too, the plants, the fart count, the coloring books in the ground (that I'm sure Denji uses too).

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It's actually good that Asa didn't meet Nayuta, because having no social awareness she would immediately coment that Nayuta is ultra spoiled.

Denji will probably have to use the same move from Tengen no Nayuta to start to reign her in a little bit.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The Hitting Your Pinky Toe In The Coffee Table Devil

HYPTITCTD for short.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

I know someone made this joke before but it really does seem like the Falling Devil has just watched The Menu and thought it was really cool.

More like Fujimoto watched it and thought it was really cool. I also like Yoru repeating this thread's discussion trying to figure out which devil it is.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
That was exactly what I expected Denji to do, such a good and consistent character.

When he got healed by mystery person, we could see Chainsawman's eye lighting up, did that ever happen before?

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This chapter gave me Fire Punch flashbacks, and yes, Nayuta rules, Denji is such a good influence on her.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Whenever there's a movie theater in a Fujimoto manga, you know it's a good chapter

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Honestly I would respect Yoshida way more if he just straight up told Denji "I got you a hooker" .It probably would go bas for everyone involved still, but there would be way less confusion and weird expectations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I didn't like the song so it ended up being just a good scene for me. Really interested in seeing what's kouhai's plan/deal, if she has any at all.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Denji being ultra fast if it can get him laid makes a lot of sense, and him trying to act cool after just makes it even funnier

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

symbolic posted:

abruptly remembering Asa's cat and a frown permanently engraves itself in my face

Meowy will be what finally brings Asa and Denji and Nayuta to the same side for good

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Kwyndig posted:

Nobody on Earth would commit to a twice weekly manga without a prescription for Provigil and weekly steroid injections in their hands. Even they would probably skip dates. Maybe do a few 4 koma, that might work, but a shonen no way, especially not an action one, that's just asking to die.

Mashima kinda does, but he does only the storyboards for one of them.He also has a monthly manga, because why not.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Flamethrower is about to get eaten alive , though I'm still coping that they're alive, Fujimoto watches enough movies to know against killing dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The art was a little hard to parse for me, and while I don't think it was intended, it really helps sell how hosed up Denji's psyche probably is :smith: