Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

chainsaw man is full of dark comedy but unlike a lot of dark comedies it never feels like it's looking down on you for caring

yeah early on in vol 10 i felt a bit worried that things were just going to be punishment but i think family burger/power really help drive home what fujimoto was going for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

This is a thing I can very easily check out myself, but because I really want to continue with the episode-- is this the first time Angel/Beam/?/Kishibe have show up in the OP's cinema sequence?

e: apparently not according to youtube, i guess i need to pay more attention

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Chainsaw Man Devil being more competent because he's made up of the fears of living devils instead of the ones who have actually faced Denji would be amazing

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

The problem is they've got two Horsemen gunning against them (plus whatever the gently caress Fami is doing) so it's going to take a miracle.

Yoru will also fall in love with Denji/Red-CSM, evening the odds while further complicating Asa's life

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

I just read it again and OH MY GOD :allears:

i expected it to be fakesaw man. lmfao

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, I expected that Flamethrower won't go without a fight, but he just surrendered?

the juxtaposition of his kumbaya chants and yoshida's attack make me think there's some connection between the two

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

goblin week posted:

I guess he loving sucks at his job

i was laughing about this too, but going back to last chapter the name consultant seems to be correct he's just saying the devil denji killed a while back was the justice devil. it's just the first time i think we're explicitly asked the question "well how are all of these people still contracted with a dead devil?" which was then answered this week.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

well everything worked out fine and now they can feed the pets

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i think it's supposed to land a bit on both sides, denji is managing a(nother) volatile situation

seems pretty clear one of the major conflicts of this arc is going to wind up being asa v nayuta (denji's feelings or beyond). this just kinda reinforces that the whole apartment date thing wasn't really a "nayuta is possessive" gag

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lamebot posted:

I guess we're about to learn how chainsaws can erase concepts

a small blow to the fire devil, but it's something

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

like a lot of folks in this thread i think, until the last 5-10 chapters or so i thought act 2 was going to be an asa-centric thing with denji and other familiar chars showing up to ground the new story in the existing universe. post-room 606 sword it seems much more like that initial focus was meant to introduce (or reintroduce in yoshida's case) the core cast of act 2 and now we're back to denji full-time. at least for the moment, because it seems like the yoru show for a while

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Flair posted:

I wonder if the last line is supposed to hint at irony. There was a civilian nearby, seeing all of the action from a door opened ajar. Denji's identity may finally be exposed -- something he hoped for in the beginning. And he has now achieved his dream of being Chainsaw Man again, but the Church probably wanted that to happen for some catalyst for something like war.

to be fair there are millions of people randomly turning into chainsaw man at the moment, so denji isn't particularly singling himself out yet

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I legit feel kinda bad for him. The story seems to imply that his past is like Reze’s and he’s been an unwilling slave his whole life even before Makima “acquired” him. The scene with the hybrids getting lunch seems to portray them all except maybe Barem as having zero education or normal life experience. Basically a bunch of Denjis who were never lucky enough to get an Aki, Power, and Pochi in their lives. So it’s no surprise he’s been so easily manipulated into thinking he’s doing the right thing for a good cause for once in his life.

i agree with this a lot: sword man does seem like the only sympathetic one in the current crew of fiends. we just saw him brooding over being rejected by denji, and sure it was a funny bit with the staircase but he's exactly like you described-- a youngish guy who maybe had a better support system as a kid but also didn't have pochita/public safety as poo poo hit the fan. the situation with the church sorta mirrors denji's act 1 arc too, so i wonder how much he understands is actually happening

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 21, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

And while Fujimoto loves shocks, he doesn't go for them at the cost of emotional connection. (He even killed Power twice to make sure of that.)

???

in terms of emotional connection i think losing natuya would be worse at this point-- especially pending a pet escape caper, she's basically all he has left

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 24, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Popo posted:

I was honestly thankful and surprised we weren't treated to a homage of a later shot from DM:CB when I had the exact same feeling.

I'm really not enjoying this (in the good way) and want Denji to be okay :(

at this point i feel certain we will be opening an upcoming chapter with either that homage or a clear confirmation she's okay and it doesn't feel like there's a lot of middle ground

maybe if kishibe was already around to rescue the pets he can save the day

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where, Famine?

Ugh, where, Fami?

:lol:

Definitely a great change of pace

fami definitely shooting up my personal character rankings after everything this chapter

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

aww asa and yoru are getting along

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

okay.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Janissary Hop posted:

My personal theory: Fami isn't actually powerful, which is why she's relying on idiot duo Asa/Yoru and contracted/pokeball devils. Famine is something people are always going to be afraid of, but like what Yoru is going through that fear is probably much diminished in this time period from what it once was.

was thinking on a similar track, but wondered if fami's power is sorta relative-- playing off of starvation, she can exert more control based on how far removed a devil is from their nature

can't really square it with the fire devil situation tho

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

but then we get Fami trying to be the Dollar General brand Makima,

so much we don't know about the new devils, but within your larger point i'd argue fami and her apathy is a pretty direct contrast rather than an imitation. she does not seem like she's enjoying this whole thing/wants to get it over with, and the aquarium is the only time i remember her doing something that wasn't in response to other bullshit

kinda makes sense, assuming the whole world stays stable she's got the best trajectory of the four

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like this is the third or fourth time I've seen "actually character x is incompetent" pop up as a theory in this thread and I don't think it's ever been textual

counterpoint: yoshida (so far)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

katana man better not have killed guilly

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i hope that at some point we get to see someone get the upper hand fighting yoru by complimenting asa

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Jerkface posted:

I dont know if Katana can ever get over hating Chainsaw Man but lowkey I want this incredibly stupid hero party to form

he clearly has a crush, maybe he convinces himself he's going to ruin denji emotionally instead

mixed up sword guy and katana guy for a second, do not want the above to happen anymore

stuker fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

The doctor was the best character. How is he drinking coffee with his mask on while staying perfectly calm.

it's really great that we're meeting new and exciting characters like him and guilly this far into part 2

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

SirKibbles posted:

I'm just realizing that Yoru is never going to shut up about her being right about Denji being Chainsawman.

denji's "i am chainsaw man" t-shirt was in fact already answering the occasional question prompted by his t-shirt

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

I was thinking why this arc felt so weird, and I figure part of it is that this is maybe the lowest tension Chainsaw Man has ever had. Asa and Fami keep running into difficulties that get comedically undermined, so it's hard to feel like there's any threat. Contrasts pretty hard with the mood at the end of Denji's last arc that kicked this off.

yes it's a wonderful relief

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Valentin posted:

i agree that the last five-ish chapters have been fairly chill (we're on 161, denji waking up in the hospital bed is 156, "Whup Whup Whup Whup Bzzz Split Split") but i think the final page appearance of the woman who consistently appears when the comic starts getting violent and horrifying, as she did just like 15 chapters ago is appropriately jarring in that respect

you're not wrong and i can see this going downhill very quickly, but at the moment the people involved are 4 individuals we can reasonably assume are not going to Die die because that isn't really possible for them, the trio of comic relief, asa, and a very cool new doctor. the stakes are a lot lower than nayuta+pets and i assume asa has plot armor until we learn more about the book release

stuker fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 3, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I don't really get the 'no tension' thing. Asa/Yoru and Denji are like the only people who are extremely unlikely to die at this moment and in the case of both of them a whole lot of things can happen that are genuinely worse than death. Like Asa's down an arm and Denji is in loving boxes, and the world's most talented murderblender just walked into the room.

Like poo poo it takes all of a chapter for things to go from good to loving Terrible in this series and just because things are funny doesn't mean there isn't tension. The Eternity Devil thing was goddamn hilarious but it also was the cast basically trapped in a horrible situation that involved Denji doing something batshit insane to escape.

i think it's relative. there's a pretty high level of tension running through the series that has never let up, but what's happening right now is certainly on the lower scale even if quanxi

also guilly is safe that's a good thing

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 4, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Baron La Croix posted:

I hope "this one" is actually referring to the Higashiyama family.

only valid way to read that line, she saw that denji was just a head why would quanxi be scared of a head

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

given that kishibe seemed to be handling a lot of the post-makima cleanup (by default really as the only guy left), i think it's reasonable to assume he filled her in on the rest of what happened when he put her head back on

i was mostly joking w/r/t kobeni's brother, tho the more i think about it it would be very fun if college brother or someone else in the family winds up being a big shot

stuker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 10, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i think i agree with that

at the same time-- i can't ignore kishibe's absence and yoshida's lack of institutional power, considering they were most of the Public Safety people left alive (that we met at least) but are not power players in the present. it seems like someone important enough moved into the opening makima left and established whatever we have now in act 2. that might be kishibe, but i feel very certain it is not yoshida

it's guilly

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 14, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think there is a new mastermind. if there is a single person in charge, that person has no loving clue of what they are doing. "ah yes, a cult that worships devils. from all of the institutional knowledge of how devils work i have available, i have concluded that they are nothing to be worried about. thus, we shall let them do their thing until we swoop in and effortlessly defeat them for publicity! surely nothing can go wrong."

i think the devil hunters are now a relatively conventional dysfunctional bureaucracy.

i can buy a nobody being at the wheel, but at this point we know Public Safety has enough direction to carefully dismember denji for some purpose (at least keeping him inert), while also employing roughly half of the known fiends to defend that operation. also eyepatch anti-wife guy suggests they're still organizing contracts when he did his poof thing (rip in piss)

the obvious pick would be fami, but i dunno if i'd like that resolution after how fun she's been this arc

e: \/ Yes.

stuker fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 14, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

We are so back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i agree-- first thing he notices is asa's missing arm, it's not going to take long for him to remember nayuta

maybe whatever asa wants to tell him before the fight defuses that, but i don't think next chapter is gonna be "that was wild, i guess i'm hungry" chill denji