Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The fiends and demons that worked with Public Safety almost all had like biblical angel names or at least references to them. Like the shark fiend was named Beam, and the spider devil was named Prinz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Shoehead posted:

It's a long way off but I'm very very much looking forward to everything to do with the Darkness devil, that's gonna look amazing, but I hope it sounds nuts too.

In my head it's mostly silent with creepy ambience, like maybe a creaking noise, and then the frog.

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder how they're going to do the stuff with the devils who appear outside of the panels.

Sound wise I imagined the scene with the finger at least would be a creepy violin sound. Visually I could see them doing like a letterbox or 4:3 framing for those scenes to do the off-panel effect, at least that's how I'd probably do it. They might have a better idea though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah you could do all sorts of weird stuff. another option is using the finger as a transition coming in from out of frame. then the scene pans following the finger landing on everyone

That's kinda the reverse of what happens but I actually really, really like that idea.

Edit: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding, like a camera stabilized on the finger?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
From the anime thread:

TenementFunster posted:

8 minutes in and i would already die for Pochita

i hope nothing bad happens to my friend, the demonic dog with a chainsaw for a face.

Ya know, I knew there'd be a lot of this, where people would love characters destined to die, but I sorta forgot how quick it happens, granted Pochita has a few more appearances iirc, but still. Had several friends go through this, seen it in a few threads, and other things.

The manga helped by having him at the end of volumes or whatever, I hope the anime can figure out something like that but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, this goon seems to know better and is being sarcastic but it's still a decent example.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Just the last two years or whatever of their lives, should be fine :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
War devil was weakened by chainsaw eating parts of it, I forget if it meant literally or just like from it eating nukes and ww2.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
One of my friends has been catching up on the manga. I asked them how far they've gotten.

"Just read chapter 80, Denji asked to be Makima's dog, poo poo's getting weird."

"Ah, you're coming up on a banger of a chapter then."

I'm going to hell.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I don't think the muscle devil encounter would necessarily eat up that much time, hell you could probably knock it out in the cold open.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The shoes would be decent but Asa is up to bat so I don't think that's the play. No idea where this might go.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just watched ep 2. I have a feeling Power is going to be even more popular with the anime only crowd than she was with the manga crows. I honestly thought Power was a bit annoying at first but she obviously grew on me pretty quickly, and by the end of part one I was quite attached.

I also can't really tell if the anime is making everything Makima says and does a bit more sinister than it came across in the manga or if that's just my own foreknowledge coloring everything.

People I know that are anime only are picking up the sinister vibes so it's not just foreknowledge.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I recently looked up the statistic again, and it was qualified as Japanese deaths, and it was 35% for death by devil which is nuts. Also all devils got stronger after the appearance of the Gun Devil because that made people more afraid of devils in general.

I don't think it's been mentioned when all of this started, like it can't just be chainsaw man killing devils otherwise Nayuta wouldn't be around. There probably was just an uptick after the creation of the chainsaw. I guess it was probably always this way, but given stuff chainsaw man ate like the light of that star and such the nature of this world is/was pretty hosed up in ways not even involving devils.

Also I don't think Pochita was directly involved with the Gun Devil on Earth, it sorta seemed that way for like a second since it looked like he had been shot but Denji is 16 in the story now, well I guess 17 after the "bang", and he wasn't loving 3 or 4 years old when he met Pochita.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 19, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yeah, the "Gun Devil" wanted $20k for the guns as part of the contract. While I believe some devils could have a use for money I really doubt the actual Gun Devil needed money.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure the last time we see the Spider Devil and Angel is in the hallway here:

No Idea if they're alive, a few of the other fiends might be alive in this too.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
It's confusing especially since I don't think we ever saw a few of those prior to that page.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yoru's eyes are the same, that pattern isn't unique to Control, it's not Nayuta.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

RatHat posted:

I don’t think that battle was actually in Hell if all the devils involved remember it

We've seen characters enter and leave hell before without dying, Denji's been there twice technically, there's a few ways we already know (hell devil, spider devil summon) and probably a lot of ways we don't.

I think Death would count as a primal fear so I don't think they'd be likely to be outside of hell, and while Darkness was able to send part of itself out to the Doll Devil I doubt this is a similar deal.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Some of them were probably worse than death but a thing being a devil doesn't necessarily mean it's scary, there was a loving chicken devil ffs. Chainsaw Man (not the Denji one) was driven by chaos, he probably didn't just eat bad things, he did kill those he was called to help too, he might've eaten some of them as well.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

chiasaur11 posted:

That was what Makima thought, but Makima didn't get Chainsaw Man at all. Pochita was really driven by a desire for hugs. (Ironically, this lead to the same "If I help people, they'll love me!" thinking as Makima fell into, but Makima didn't, or couldn't, realize that Pochita had very similar motives to her.)

So why'd he kill those he came to help? Unless....

Oxxidation posted:

he killed the people he helped because he wanted to give them a hug. he wasn’t chaotic, just lonely and stupid

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I've been noticing a decent overlap between the anime only viewers that aren't noticing and the ones simping for Makima about as hard as Denji.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I think a lot of people early on caught on that she's sinister to some degree but at first think it's just like political power or bureaucracy related, then it's like "what loving contracts does she have?", etc. It takes a bit until we see confirmed humanoid devils so she gets the benefit of the doubt by looking 98% normal for a while.

That said I know like two people who didn't read the manga but said something along the lines of "is she like some sorta control devil/fiend?" after episode 2. I think one said "persuasion" but close enough.

It's kinda interesting hearing people talk about it without them even knowing about contracts since that aspect really opens up a lot of possibilities.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

a kitten posted:

Definitely need a younger, cooler version of Pochita who talks more and is always doing stupid poo poo

Something like this?

https://twitter.com/QkiJose/status/1586339073668456448?t=QWTUGAOwTM_Ihn4kAQBhdw&s=19

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

symbolic posted:

so Yuko's a fiend now? didn't see that coming but hell, makes sense

I don't think that's what's going on. She seems to be in control, so not a fiend. I think it might be more like the zombies or possibly like Asa and Yoru which seems to be either a unique arrangement or maybe something else Chainsaw Man ate like weapon humans.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
From the anime thread regarding the ED:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gun Devil looks awesome in the ED.

So I think it would probably count as manga spoilers to correct them on this but I do have to wonder if this is a thing that just hasn't shown up in the manga. Like perhaps it's War's horse and it's like the WW2 devil or something. Not much to go on besides guns and fingers in the shape of a horse, most likely it's just for ED funsies though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
It's probably just like the electric hedge trimmer devil and we're being hardware tool racist.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Hamelekim posted:

Re-reading the manga to see where the anime is going next I forgot how fast the story ramps up. Within the next two episodes anime only people are going to lose their minds.

I just checked and based on the anime's pace I think the next episode will probably end after the snake girl revives katana after curse's attack. Probably hit credits after he attacks Aki, but it's variable, they could stretch things out, but I think everyone's definitely getting shot, so the reactions to that will be fun.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Someone in the anime thread got spoiled googling a character's name for spelling purposes cause the first few things that come up are massive spoilers. Figured it was probably Aki, checked and the first few blurbs are about him being the gun fiend and dying. Although that's probably a problem for a lot of the characters in this series.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Was thinking about last episode and Makima just no selling the drinking competition. Do you think that was part of her contract with the prime minister and as a result some citizen(s) got super drunk at random?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Lamebot posted:

The Makima can drink like nobody's business and be fine because she doesn't lose control.

Okay, yeah, that makes the most sense.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Libluini posted:

This makes me sad, because that's the dumbest theory. :(

Like, I'm fairly sure the number of people who fear humanity itself is close to zero, there are maybe a couple who have a very specific phobia against humans in general, but a "Humanity Devil" would probably be weaker than the Tomato Devil. Most humans fear strange and foreign things, not themselves.

Makima being the humanity devil seemed dumb to me too, I only caught up on the manga a few months ago, so did a handful of my friend and we all thought it was some form of control (manipulation, government, etc) but via contract up until a point.

Humanity is scary, think about how lovely other people can be, even if you discount murderers and such, but really it comes down to the granularity of devils. Would there just be devils for murderers, bullies, jerks, rapists, racists, etc or would a lot of it just fold into humanity in general?

Speaking of the tomato devil and thinking of the giant cockroach devil, I have been wondering if disgust plays enough into fear to empower devils. I'm not familiar enough with Japanese but it could be a language thing in that fashion if not just outright being a connection on a basic level.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
They were targeting devil hunters, of course the contract would be good.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I think this episode might be the first one I kinda don't like. The mafia and Makima scene was good, Future Devil's voice isn't what I expected but isn't completely terrible, the changes feel like they're loving things up for later, like Kobeni being there from the get go and Power and Denji fighting the zombies already instead of Denji ditching Power on the elevator to fight them herself (which will probably still happen but I feel like this lessens that maybe). Oh, and the way Aki was just there in the manga and seemed like he had the handkerchief ready to go (the future rules!) also felt ruined. ED was kinda weak too imo but that's fine, actually it was more like a usual ED than the others that feel like they could be OPs. The fiends' voices all sound right to me, so that's cool at least.

New chapter was good, can't wait to see where this is going.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

LostRook posted:

Power and Denji in the elevator starts with Power eating a zombie's arm, so it's probably still happening.

Yeah I think it will happen but I liked it better as their intro to the mission if that makes sense, but forgot Power had the arm so I guess it makes works.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I actually really liked the episode overall. I was laughing at the very slow interaction between Angel and aki while the fiends crush zombies in the background. The new scenes were fine, idk if it matters to show that Kobeni is there and also I liked Makimas raid intervention.

To me in a vacuum the episode is good, honestly it's good regardless, I guess it'd be more accurate to say it's just not up to par with the rest imo.

Aki originally says to Kobeni "I thought you quit" so I guess the surprise of her being there will be gone but it'll probably be fine. It's just that most of the changes they've done so far have been positive, additional scenes and like editing rather than script changes. I'm probably wrong about this.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 21, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yep, agreed 100%.

Edit: bleh, missed some posts.

Anyway I was thinking maybe it's just Pestilence. What if the water doesn't make you less thirsty? The food isn't filling and the money can't be spent cause it's got the same serial numbers or maybe it's all counterfeit? You can technically get cell service but it's barely even one bar.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 21, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah this is the first one that felt plodding and the animation wasn't up to snuff either. a lot of slow pans across still frames

Gotta save up some cash to make the finale amazing probably.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

RatHat posted:

I don’t think Pestilence would be a horseman since Control/Conquest is one.

I'm dumb and meant Famine.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
If you've never smoked or even just haven't for a long time you're gonna cough.

Personally I think the symbolism is all in the decision to try it and it not going how she thought it would. Could be about the impulsiveness or the fight itself, but there's a lot of ways it can be read I think.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't know much about dogs, but I always appreciated a detail someone else pointed out to me: huskies are very friendly, but they're also incredibly noisy and difficult to control.

That Makima owns like seven and they're all well-behaved is a great bit of foreshadowing.

Foreshadowing? Do we see the dogs before the Gun Devil fight? Pretty sure the cat's outta the bag and it's just kind of an "oh, of loving course" moment.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Definitely just the dogs wanting to go on walkies

That's the wrong door, guessing it goes to a balcony since it's next to a window, so it could still be the same cause with just a different reason: dogs like chilling outside. Then again maybe not.

Also while going back to check on this I caught a continuity error: the peephole on the front door disappears when they're inside.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I feel like this could go a lot of directions.

It sorta depends on how much information Nayuta retained as the Control Devil, like does she recognize War? Does she still want to destroy war, death, hunger, etc? (Kinda think not on this one, given the arrangement with Denji and such)

I'm also not sure if the control chain is necessarily lethal, like it probably is, I don't recall anyone coming back from being directly controlled that couldn't also revive with some blood and even then I'm probably misremembering and she just held on to some devils. Asa is a unique case too, like it's probably a safe bet that she can revive from blood, but she's not really a fiend, she's not like Denji, she's basically a dissociative identity fiend at best based on current knowledge.

At any rate they'll have to address Nayuta's deal with Asa if she's not dead, temporarily or otherwise, so that'll probably get things moving, especially if War recognizes Control.

Somehow regardless of what happens Denji still won't be revealed as Chainsaw Man because that'd be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Most of the complaints seem nebulous and nitpicky to me, and yeah, I don't think a lot of those fans would've ever been satisfied regardless of how it turned out.

Some of the complaints I've seen though seem to not understand that a big difference between a manga and anime is the second one moves. Comparing still frames to manga panels with motion lines and complaining it's not animated enough like...wtf? (And yeah, I get their point but often the franticness or whatever they think is missing from the visuals is now in the characters' voices.)

It makes me wish they'd make two season 2s, one like season 1 and another that's just the VAs reading the manga as it pans across the screen. Should be cheap and easy to make, so that way there is a 1-to-1 adaptation and no complaints :v: