Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wrazzerk
Feb 4, 2019

by VideoGames
A brief history, this is vilepilot. I was permabanned a while back because I acted like a total rear end in a top hat on the forums because of an untreated psychiatric condition. A long story short, I entered therapy and started going on medication. I then begged for Lowtax's mercy and he agreed to lift my permaban status as long as I didn't break any more rules. After receiving Lowtax's mercy I posted my experimental film based on Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYZBS1eye_E on Cinema Discusso. Based on a suggestion in that thread I made a CG interpretation of "Loss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqz839BvHk that ended up getting over 250,000 views on Youtube. I followed that up with an idea from GBS to make an animated Trump piss tape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRIgrD-_U0c that didn't end up getting that much views, but I got to show it to my grandmother before she died (I explained the piss tape thing to her and she said she thought the world was getting crazier). After that I tried soliciting ideas from GBS to make a Youtube channel and made a few videos (which I've since deleted), but decided in the end that workflow wasn't going to work for me. Which brings me to the present day.

For the past 8 months or so I've been developing an idea for a one man animated film based on the life of Alexander the Great. I've been sharing my progress with my therapist and he has encouraged me to collaborate with other people. While I intend to do everything on this film myself except for the voices and music, having people to bounce ideas off of would be beneficial. There have been several people that have done one man animated films, but the only one I can remember at this time is the guy who did "Killer Bean" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYHWkVWQ4o. Films like "Killer Bean" are a great accomplishment, but I really would like to push the idea of a one man animated film further and hopefully SA can help me get there like you guys did on the "Loss" video. I am pretty happy with the "Trump Piss Tape" to be honest too, but I guess it just hasn't been smiled on by the Youtube algorithm gods like "Loss" was.

As for progress on this film, I've been slowly moving along with the early development phase. I have a bunch of characters thought out, and a basic idea of the events that I want to take place. Like I've said I've already run these ideas past my therapist, but I think I am at the point where I feel comfortable sharing them with a wider audience. Story wise I want it to be a combination of fantasy elements and real life events. There will be magic, Greek gods, and maybe some magical animals. My original idea was to do something cartoony like a Disney film and have it be a PG/PG-13 rating with minimal graphic violence. However as time has gone on I've been thinking about trying to do something closer to a Blizzard cinematic and have it be PG-13/R with people's heads getting chopping off like in "Gladiator" and stuff. I know Oliver Stone did an Alexander the Great film, but I think this film is going to be different enough as to not be a problem. Everything is still very fluid at this point so I could be convinced to change basically anything.

As far as time frame, I would like to finish this film within the next 5 years. In addition, without getting too ahead of myself, if this whole experience goes well I would like to do a Mansa Musa film in the same style as Alexander the Great and then make a non experimental version of "The Metamorphosis".

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wrazzerk
Feb 4, 2019

by VideoGames
Since this story is going to have a lot of fantasy elements, I am taking a lot of liberties with historical events. The basic story I have in mind goes like this:

-Possibly some early life scenes of Alexander, including his tutorage from Aristotle and maybe some of the unification of Greece by Phillip
-Bagoas the chief vizier and head of the immortals (who in this film are mages with a variety of powers) of the Persian empire uses his magical powers to mind control Darius
-Phillip gets assassinated by agents sent by the mind controlled Darius
-Alexander takes over as king and receives a blessing by Athena that turns his army into orc like super soldiers
-Alexander invades Persia to avenge his father's death, his first major target is Tyre
-Bagoas sends his lieutenant Roxana to defend Tyre with a detachment of soldiers and immortals
-The first big battle is the siege of Tyre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tyre_(332_BC) where Alexander builds a land bridge out to the island city of Tyre
-Alexander conquers Tyre and takes Roxana prisoner
-Some interaction between Alexander and Roxana that I haven't figured out yet
-Alexander goes to Egypt to find out the truth of who is responsible for his father's death from an oracle
-Roxana agrees to help the Greeks and goes back to Persia with a small force to try and release Darius from Bagoas' mind control spell, but is captured
-A big battle between Darius' forces and Alexander, with the Greeks coming out victorious
Now this is where I am not 100% sure of what I want to do. I'm thinking of having Darius die, but Bagoas escape. You then find out that Bagoas was working for the Indian king Porus who was ordered to trick the Greeks and Persians into fighting so Porus could invade both Greece and Persia and wipe them off the face of the earth.
-The Greeks and Persians join forces and defeat Porus and the Indian army
-Alexander dies in the climatic battle to save Roxana
-Roxana has Alexander's child and takes over as Queen of Greece and Persia

Any of this could change based on feedback here, or if I change my mind since this is just a very early sketch of the plot.

A few more things:

I want this film to be more culturally sensitive than something like 300, which seemed like it depicted the Persians as evil and the Greeks as good. I want the evil in the story to be because of the actions of powerful people in the different empires, not as some inherent quality of the cultures themselves. I would also like the main theme in this story to be the cooperation of Greeks and Persians and Alexander's gradual embrace of multiculturalism, even against the wishes of some of his men. The character of Roxana is going to be key to this as she will be Alexander's love interest and a high ranking member of the Persian immortals. In reality she was a Bactrian princess, but for the sake of the story I have changed this.

Like I said in the previous post, visually I am thinking I want to try to do this in a Blizzard cinematic style. Keeping with the theme of adding fantasy elements and changing some historical facts, I want to really push the visual splendor of the locations. Games like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Prince of Persia will serve as inspiration for some of the backgrounds.

My next step is finalizing the basic story, then moving into creating a story beat list. I think after that I will start storyboarding instead of writing a traditional script.

wrazzerk fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 20, 2019