Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hazo posted:

Last Sunday night my wife’s (our) beloved 12-year-old black lab Henry started retching and crying uncontrollably so we had to take him to the emergency room around midnight and weren’t sure he was coming home. He was diagnosed with pneumonia in one of his lungs and given an IV and a schedule of antibiotics. Six hours and $1000 later we returned.

I share this here because the next day he was too weak and exhausted to have much of an appetite, and thus no way to give him his antibiotics. The only way we were able to get him eating was when I scrambled up some plain eggs, which he devoured happily. We have been adding egg to almost every meal since, and he is doing remarkably better.

Eggs good. Thank you eggs.

Last week, about a month after I cheerfully posted this in the GBS Egg Thread, Henry started coughing again, and we made another emergency room visit.

He was very good at tilting his head to listen, and he loved to hear what you had to say, like "soon," "grandma," "treats," and "outside."

He also loved singing. Probably the half-German Shepherd part of him (he let us read to him his DNA results from Embark)

https://imgur.com/KRiUTjt

But

He developed pneumonia in the other lung. We tried another round of intravenous fluids and antibiotics, but this time they simply did not work.

We camped out on the couch with him that night, hoping he would stand back up.

He didn't.

He struggled to breathe, and my wife promised him we wouldn't let him hurt any more.

This is a photo of him being cuddled on his last morning.

We picked up his ashes today.

I never ever want to do this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU