Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Hi there. I recently moved into a new house and the heating system is unwieldy. There are six separate elements to control:
  1. The central heating boiler heating various radiators
  2. Underfloor heating in half of the ground floor
  3. Underfloor heating and an electric heated towel rail in the main bathroom
  4. Underfloor heating and an electric heated towel rail in the en suite bathroom

I would ultimately like to bring the control of all of the above under one roof with a single controller (whether this is some physical unit or an interface on a phone, or both). If I can’t do that then I would at least like to be able to move some of the above onto a ‘smart’ footing. Ideally I would be able to have everything within one app on my/my wife’s phone, to be able to programme when everything turns on and to be able to remotely control things from outside the house.

I’ve taken a few snaps of the various units, which I will link rather than post as I’m not sure that they add much.
The boiler is a gas combi – a Worcester Greenstar 42CDI Classic. It is controlled by a Drayton Digistat +2RF.
The underfloor heating is controlled by a Honeywell CM927 wireless programmable thermostat.
The boiler and the various wiring underneath it for the two thermostats looks like this: 1, 2, 3
The main bathroom has a control unit for the floor made by ‘Warmup’, a fuse trip-switch and a plug which controls the towel rail.
The en suite controls are limited to a plug which controls the towel rail and a ‘thermonet’ controller for the floor (with an associated fuse and switch).

Anyone have any ideas of where to start with trying to get all of this under one system (or as few systems as possible)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Anyone have any ideas? Or should I be asking elsewhere?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Are you looking for an out of the box solution or building a system based off micro controllers? There is a ton of info out there to make IoT Arduino/Pi based thermostats and power controllers.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

Ideally an out of the box solution. Micro-controllers are well beyond my abilities but I could always pay someone who knows what they're doing if that's the solution.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Might get more responses posting in the fix-it-fast thread; DIY posters are quite siloed into megathreads.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Or the HVAC thread.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Or the HVAC thread.

Yeah good call, forgot about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I haven't messed with this complexity myself but I did use 2 ecobees and IFTTT in my old house. Perhaps a similar setup with some smart plugs for the heated towel racks could work for you with minimal hacking?