Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the words, friends. It’s been a rough year. Hope to see you all shine in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I got yelled at on Christmas because I stood too close to an important painting my uncle owns

https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/prizes/archibald/2017/29841/

To be fair it rules and the government is about to borrow it

Looks like a giant festering Klimt

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 31, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pospysyl posted:

Only four episodes in, but I love the ridiculous metalcore song they use for the big action scenes. The monster designs from the original comic are well realized, too, but it's funny how fast paced the show is compared to the comic. The fight with the protein monster takes one episode when it was literal months in the comic.

Is it an actual Imagine Dragons song or just someone trying to sound like them?

Edit: Looking it up it is in fact an actual Imagine Dragons song, one written for League of Legends.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 31, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine dragons stinks. Radioactive is not bad but the rest is just, ah, God, gently caress, it's bad!!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I’m just realizing now that Bong Joon Ho’s (arguably) 2 biggest movies are Parasite and The Host.

If nothing else they're by far his best known works in the US. Speaking of which, is Okja a movie that will make me feel really bad because I've heard that it will make me feel really bad? (No spoilers)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

If nothing else they're by far his best known works in the US. Speaking of which, is Okja a movie that will make me feel really bad because I've heard that it will make me feel really bad? (No spoilers)

Which is incredible to me because both titles (and the movies themselves) use the same metaphor in direct reference to the US and western capitalism at large.

Haven't seen Okja but it seems to me we're all feeling pretty bad most of the time. So might as well feel bad watching a good flick, right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

CPL593H posted:

It's a movie about a girl and her superpig where Jake Gyllenhaal plays a character that is probably best described as David Attenborough by way of Waluigi.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it an actual Imagine Dragons song or just someone trying to sound like them?

Edit: Looking it up it is in fact an actual Imagine Dragons song, one written for League of Legends.

I thought it was a Muse song

Ridiculous

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 31, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Klowner posted:

imagine dragons stinks. Radioactive is not bad but the rest is just, ah, God, gently caress, it's bad!!!

Imagine Dragons music is tailor made for movie trailers and commercial spots, the lyrics are completely generic and can be applied to anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Digital Jedi posted:

Troy is such a bad historical movie and movie itself but man I can watch it all the time and always be entertained.

I wish there were more historical movies (even lovely ones) of that scale. I'm just a sucker for any ancient history interpretation in movies.

I feel like the genre more or less killed itself with the insistence on getting 'the real story' of what were already fairy tales and de-fantasising it, like with all the Robin Hood and King Arthur movies. And kinda forgetting that if King Arthur isn't going to get a magic sword from a strange woman in a pond then he'd better be an interesting character in his own right.

Probably says something that the most recent successful 'historical' movie I can think of is 300.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s weird because it must have been a response to, what, Gladiator’s success? And figuring “well everyone knows these legendary stories, so what if we strip them down to what they would have really been like and get both ends?” But by the time the movies chasing that were releasing, the audience had already moved on and Lord of The Rings had sucked the air out of the historical epic revival’s sails.

So we got stuck with a bunch of movies that felt like semi-researched high school history essays of stories that in their original form are much wilder and fantastical.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1344410456149131265

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Get a Shane Black script or I don't care

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I guess richard donner is not... getting too old for this poo poo?!?!?!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Get a Shane Black script or I don't care

I mean Shane Black did The Predator (2018) im not sure hes really firing on all cylinders anymore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean Shane Black did The Predator (2018) im not sure hes really firing on all cylinders anymore

Don't be ridiculous, they haven't made a Predator film since the 90s.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imma say it. I don’t think Shane and Fred Dekker make good movies together. They’re always kind of off to me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Monster Squad is pretty lit imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not a huge fan. It’s OK but it feels like it’s missing a giant chunk.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

I got yelled at on Christmas because I stood too close to an important painting my uncle owns

https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/prizes/archibald/2017/29841/

To be fair it rules and the government is about to borrow it

Looks like a giant festering Klimt

It is a cool painting. What did he think would happen if you stood too close? You’d give it coronavirus?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
ladies an gents i'm in australia and it's 2021 and it's all better now, no coronavirus and no oligarchy anymore. The movies may stilll be dead though, no perfect world and all that

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kazzah posted:

ladies an gents i'm in australia and it's 2021 and it's all better now, no coronavirus and no oligarchy anymore. The movies may stilll be dead though, no perfect world and all that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rtV8nDScc

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kazzah posted:

australia is full of criminals and liars

i should know i live here

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The buzz from that was so awful I didn’t even bother seeing it. I loved The Nice Guys, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Predator was stunningly bad. I was kind of impressed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Predators is a fantastic film and I thought The Predator was pretty unwatchable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think The Predator actually started fairly strong, I was definitely enjoying myself for like the first third of it. Then it just stalls out at some point and never really regains the momentum.

I do like the scenes where the Uber-Predator is in an enclosed space with the soldiers and is just completely wrecking them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Predator was stunningly bad. I was kind of impressed.

Yeah, at some point the main bad guy just dies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Paparazi are terrible and it's inhuman that if you're a good actor you have to live your life with the knowledge that any time you set foot outside your home you will be photographed, but on the other hand

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I think The Predator actually started fairly strong, I was definitely enjoying myself for like the first third of it. Then it just stalls out at some point and never really regains the momentum.

I do like the scenes where the Uber-Predator is in an enclosed space with the soldiers and is just completely wrecking them.

The Predator escape was something I’ve wanted to see forever. I just had this idea in my head about a Predator escaping a hospital or prison taking everyone out. It also helped that Predator had a personally and some good jokes. (The thumbs up gag)

When he died the movie went to poo poo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Give us the alternate cut with the human allied predators wearing camo pants and shooting M60s.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

Paparazi are terrible and it's inhuman that if you're a good actor you have to live your life with the knowledge that any time you set foot outside your home you will be photographed, but on the other hand

I salute Snyder's decision to put a montage of Batman working out into every further DC movie he does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1344756750537420800

Monster Squad is pretty lit imo

That movie's a lot better in theory than it is in practice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
WHAT THE FFUUUUUUUCK

Goddamn 2020 is sick getting some negs in before the deadline

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 31, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWUypNh56go

What would I do?
Where would I be?
Without my loving crew
AKA my family
Some passed away,
now they’re living up above
But not even death can separate the love

Half the crew is black,
the others are Hispanic
Showing unity and causing havoc on this planet
Some passed away,
now they’re living up above
But not even death can separate the love

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

He also did The Nice Guys, one of the best action comedies of the decade, so I give him a pass for Predator.

But we're all ignoring the giant racist elephant in the movie's room.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shameful that we'll never get a sequel to The Nice Guys.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like the genre more or less killed itself with the insistence on getting 'the real story' of what were already fairy tales and de-fantasising it, like with all the Robin Hood and King Arthur movies. And kinda forgetting that if King Arthur isn't going to get a magic sword from a strange woman in a pond then he'd better be an interesting character in his own right.

Probably says something that the most recent successful 'historical' movie I can think of is 300.
They should have just gone full LOTR with Troy; in fact Peter Jackson should just adapt the Trojan Cycle; just put less rape in it and it would be fine

Coffee And Pie posted:

He also did The Nice Guys, one of the best action comedies of the decade, so I give him a pass for Predator.

Wasn't it found out that a Shane Black regular was a pedophile while this film was being made

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Who? Russell Crowe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

How they'll handle re-recasting Murtaugh to no longer be played by Rob McElhenney in blackface?