Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giveme20quid
Jun 11, 2019

No wifin' in the pub!
http://mckellen.com/cinema/lotr/journal.htm

With a design straight out of Geocities. For real, though, this kind of insight is always fascinating to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thank you, a mate sent it time, it's awesome. Haven't read all of it yet but wonder if he outs anyone else

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had to do a double take in making sure this wasn't in fact last updated back when the movies were brand new. No, this is literally a geocities website created in 2020.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Will have to read through this!

I’d heard a rumor years ago that Peter Jackson was absent a lot on the LOTR sets, and that an AD/cinematographer/someone else was responsible for a lot of the filming. (This also helps explain the Hobbit). Will be interesting to see if he alludes to that at all.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sloth Life posted:

Thank you, a mate sent it time, it's awesome. Haven't read all of it yet but wonder if he outs anyone else

I read all of if, who did he out?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

I’d heard a rumor years ago that Peter Jackson was absent a lot on the LOTR sets, and that an AD/cinematographer/someone else was responsible for a lot of the filming. (This also helps explain the Hobbit). Will be interesting to see if he alludes to that at all.

I imagine that's true but I think you have to give Jackson some leeway there considering just how huge a project LOTR was. Location hunting, pre-production on multiple films at once, getting WETA off the ground basically from scratch(he'd founded it years before but they'd never done anything even close to the level of LOTR), he was responsible for a lot more than the typical director on the typical studio film.

The Hobbit trilogy was disappointing because the production went a completely different way compared to what happened with LOTR. But I guess because Jackson directed them all people are gonna try to figure out a way to say that one trilogy was good despite him and the other was bad because of him. We've seen that before in another iconic series that I won't mention.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

frogbs posted:

That's pretty standard, especially on a huge production. Most of the time you've got the A unit, headed by the director, and the B unit, headed by the assistant director. I can't imagine how many filming units they had running at once with LotR, especially since they were shooting all three movies at once. I remember in some of the behind the scenes stuff Jackson would be, say, shooting the Helm's Deep battle and while on breaks he'd communicate to some other unit by satellite to give direction and stuff.

I think Christopher Nolan's one of the few dudes who shoots everything himself, even on huge productions.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I said come in! posted:

I had to do a double take in making sure this wasn't in fact last updated back when the movies were brand new. No, this is literally a geocities website created in 2020.

This is, apparently, by the same guy who made the website for Gods and Monsters. It looks like he's some marketing guy who learnt how to use Frontpage real quick when he realized the Internet was going to be Big, and who also happened to be friends with Ian McKellen, but then never cared much to keep their skills up to date

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I started reading this entire journal in the same tone of voice Ian McKellen uses in his cameo on Extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyoWmkhRyp8

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

frogbs posted:

As noted, this isn't uncommon for a project of this size, and keep in mind Jackson was shooting 3 movies at once.

Also, they even go into this on the making of on the dvds. It shows the movie's producer shooting the fight at the end of Fellowship when Aragon cuts that guys arm and head off.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Also unless I'm thinking of something else I think there was footage of Peter hopping between 2-3 simultaneous sets on a non-motorised scooter.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://mckellen.com/cinema/lotr/000312.htm posted:

I should love to go on a "Tricky Dicky Ride."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
kinda want to start a geocities page, or maybe angelfire is still around