Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

We’ve got like 4 episodes of Disco and one season of LD. The S31 movie is probably also about finished.

SNW may be finished filming now? I’m not sure. They are supposed to film Starfleet Academy this summer.

1 season of Prodigy too, unless we're counting the French leak as 'already aired'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I guess, I'm not even counting that since it's no longer part of the rest of the Trek stuff at this point

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

G-III posted:

Now they just need to figure out how to send cronenberg in the past so he can be in later seasons of SNW.

He had better be in SFA, it would be a crime for him not to be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

G-III posted:

Now they just need to figure out how to send cronenberg in the past so he can be in later seasons of SNW.

Cronenberg exists across all time and space.

Alternately, Kovich is a lanthanite, a friend of Pelia's, and also was actually David Cronenberg back in the 20th/21st.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Alternately, Kovich is a lanthanite, a friend of Pelia's, and also was actually David Cronenberg back in the 20th/21st.

Okay that's the precise of stupid I would be 100% on board with. Do it, cowards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Turns out that Dr. Cronenberg is one of those parasite things from Conspiracy, but that by the 32nd Century they're just accepted as an active part of the Federation. It's considered very impolite to seat him next to the Trill Delegation at formal dinners.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Did anyone ever talk about why David Cronenberg is even on the show? Is he a big Trek fan and asked? Is someone in production a big Cronenberg fan and he said sure I'm up for it? It's a weird get.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Grand Fromage posted:

Did anyone ever talk about why David Cronenberg is even on the show? Is he a big Trek fan and asked? Is someone in production a big Cronenberg fan and he said sure I'm up for it? It's a weird get.

David Cronenberg posted:

I like to say – I guess ad nauseum – that I’m cheap and I’m available, and I live in Toronto (laughs). [Executive Producer] Alex Kurtzman apparently got in touch with some casting people who know me well because they cast my films. They asked if they thought I’d be interested in being part of the show. Of course, I said, “Who wouldn’t be?” I was certainly a fan of The Original Series and would never in a million years have dreamed I’d actually be in a show. So, I was happy to do it. And the timing was right, because I wasn’t directing anything at the time.

From here.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He's pretty agreeable to show up in things if people ask him.

He appeared in that Friday the 13th movie that goes into space. His only request was that he die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Last Call posted:

His only request was that he die.

:same:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Imagine being in a Jason movie and NOT wanting him to kill you in some weird, hosed up and ironic way :hmmno:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jason X is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right at some point they set up a hologram program of sexy teen counselors to distract Jason into trying to kill them? :allears:

Also the opening sequence with the sting operation by the military is absolutely loving amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jason X has some fun bits but there’s so much dull garbage in between all of them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jason X has some fun bits but there’s so much dull garbage in between all of them.

More films should have director cuts that make the film much shorter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's most horror movies. I love horror movies. I love that many streaming platforms let me watch the dull bits at 1.5 speed. Most 90 minute horror movies don't have 90 minutes of content. Some of them should be 20 minute shorts, not 90 minute features. So they fill it out with an hour of not much going on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Plenty of 90 minute horror movies have 90 minutes of content. Playing them at 1.5x speed because you’re bored isn’t really watching the movie. At that point you’re just consuming it out of some weird joyless completionist obligation.

If you don’t like what you’re watching, just stop watching it!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's what we all do with you're posts :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At that point you’re just consuming it out of some weird joyless completionist obligation.

Speaking of which I've been watching Discovery season 5.

I'm happy to report I actually enjoyed the latest episode, unlike all the others

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Plenty of 90 minute horror movies have 90 minutes of content. Playing them at 1.5x speed because you’re bored isn’t really watching the movie. At that point you’re just consuming it out of some weird joyless completionist obligation.

There are quite a lot of cheap horror movies -70's and 80's were bad at this-where they do just legit just have filler to fill out the run time.

Like they'll just be a ten minute scene of two people eating dinner, where they basically just talk about how good the dinner is in between long periods of silence and it's very obvious the actors didn't even have a script for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I need the movie because the videogame I'm playing at the same time has slow bits where I have to wait for stuff to be built!

dr_rat posted:

There are quite a lot of cheap horror movies -70's and 80's were bad at this-where they do just legit just have filler to fill out the run time.

Like they'll just be a ten minute scene of two people eating dinner, where they basically just talk about how good the dinner is in between long periods of silence and it's very obvious the actors didn't even have a script for it.

So many horror movies have unnecessary road trips. Even some pretty good horror movies. Will spend endless minutes on a pointless road trip before getting to the spooky destination. Ideally this lets the audience get to know the characters and their group dynamic. Like the film makers saw that bit in Cabin in the Woods (and the movies that inspired it) but have no idea how to spend that time making us like and care about the characters.

Another recurring one is where a bunch of 30 year olds are pretending to be 20 year olds pretending to get drunk and/or high and party, usually while being horrible assholes. But watching strangers be drunk and catty to each other isn't actually fun, much less spooky. It's like instead of hoping the "kids" get away we're supposed to get a justice boner that bad things are happening to bad people. Come on, get to the spooky witch or ghost or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

But watching strangers be drunk and catty to each other isn't actually fun, much less spooky.

Particularly when the script forgot to give anyone but the killer, and if you're lucky the main character, a personality.

Good b horror movies at least have fun side characters like the gruff grounds keeper, or the crazy old exposition guy and what not. They rarely managed to get the main characters friends group intresting.

I think Scream was one of the first of the slashers that managed that. There were ones before that but it seems rare.