Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
If they ever get a vaccine, or some sort of proper treatment/meds, I really hope they plan out the distribution properly, or the panic/rush for everyone to go get it will be crazy.
I could see riots in certain countries.
Also thanks for this - it made me smile today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

Cool, Trump giving another briefing thanking CEOs.

And yet is still telling everyone that it doesn't seriously affect young people. Fine, maybe it's very rare that younger people have serious symptoms, but they are still potential carriers.
At least he's finally telling people to stop over-buying/hoarding, but even that felt like he's being told to say it, and doesn't really care.

Edit: he did say Google is going to be making that testing location webpage, and that news story about Google having no idea about it was "fake news".

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

is there anyone who isnt stressed right now?

I believe there are a bunch of "recovered" patients in Chile that are no longer stressed :smith:

On another note, thank you all the goons in the thread providing us updates on your infections/recoveries (hopefully) with Covid. It gives us first hand accounts of what people are going through, and makes it more "real". Seriously, I appreciate it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My mother wants to come over to MA from Iceland in August for a visit and we're trying to convince her not to. She doesn't seem to realize how bad it is here and that she'll probably get stranded here.

Tell her you'd love to have her visit, but to make sure she's got the best possible travel insurance that covers "everything", and also tell her to make sure she's got her will up to date.
I'm mostly joking about the above, but it might work to help her realize how serious it is, and hopefully make the correct decision to stay home (for now).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

I'm guessing there are small mini-strokes/clots/vascular damage happening in the brain or something that leads to this. Hopefully it's not permanent.
Seeing lots of evidence of organ damage in some reports.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Alberta is kinda the chud capital of canada but yeah there's a shitton of space.

Can confirm both. And I grew up and still live here. And am already entertaining moving in the future.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm guessing Trumps campaign is testing the waters to see how the polls react to him wearing/being a proponent of wearing a mask. If his poll numbers go up with a few "mask-wearing" tests/tweets, then they'll jump on board 110% and state he was "for" mask wearing all along. He's flaming out horribly right now, and will need to do something in order to even have a shot a re-election.

edit - remember he canned/demoted his campaign manager mid last week, so I won't be surprised if the new manager is trying this out to see how it reflects in polls.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Here's a fun contrast. I work for a major telecom company in Canada. My wife works for an Oil and Gas company. My VP just advised me that we don't have to go back into the office until 2021 at the earliest. My wife has to go back into the downtown office full time starting next week. This is in the province with the highest per capita positive covid rates in Canad, and the section of the province with the highest rates. And her work already has had more than 3 positive tests in the "come into work 2 days a week" phase.
I'm doing what I can to avoid getting covid, but there's so much outside of my control. If she quit her job, we'd be homeless in a few months, so we're kinda stuck with it.
Could be worse, but it's still lovely.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Hey now, you're an rear end in a top hat
Get your mask off, go play
Hey now, you're a rock star
Infect your fans, get paid
It’s just like a minor cold
How many dead bikers can the morgue hold?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’m wondering how they traced all those attendees from Sturgis back to their home states? Are they just using estimates or something? I’m assuming contact tracing isn’t something widely rolled out in the US, and it usually requires people to install the app, which I’d assume many of these people wouldn’t do anyway.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They shot it right in my arm
I coughed until my eyeballs bled
It was the summer of covid one nine

Me and some guys from school
Caught the roni and we coughed real hard
Killed my dad and then it killed granny
Shoulda known we had to wear masks

This made my day - thank you.

Scarodactyl posted:

Oh, when I look back now,
That summer seemed to last forever.

and this as well.

Tarkus V2.0 posted:

More like double fartism amirite!?!?1 Barf!

Actually, popped into the thread to post this both directly and tangentially related video from a fellow Albertan. Watched it last night and they characterized what I think about anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers and such much better than I could ever hope to convey. Starts off with flat earthers but they're part of the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Thanks for linking that vid. Really enjoying the first 30 min so far.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fabulousity posted:

I think it's kind of like their North Dakota: It's loaded with a lot of fossil fuel investment generating some pretty crazy short term income for people with preexisting CHUD tendencies who don't realize they're setting fire to the very boat they think is ferrying them to infinite wealth. The fire being COVID mismanagement and long term environmental destruction.

Pretty much this. When oil prices are high, Alberta does well, but that hasn’t been the case for many years. I’m still here as my wife works in oil and gas, but the writing is on the wall I think. I’m already starting to think about moving even though I’ve lived in Alberta all my life. And we are usually expected to vote Conservative by the country every election. Also I’d guess 50-75% or more of white males here drive a large truck (though many don’t need one).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bronze Fonz posted:

Welp, we thought Quebec was starting to plateau our 2nd wave. Yeah no, 1.2k + new daily cases, deaths and hospitalizations also on the rise. We had briefly started going under 1k daily but just lolnoped back up.

Quite a few provinces are rising rapidly, and it'll only get worse since we just had our Thanksgiving long weekend. Halloween probably won't help either. Pretty sure there will be dumbasses having large indoor Halloween parties.

stay safe mon ami

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
While I’m not in the US, I’m really starting to worry about December there, when all the infections from Thanksgiving\black Friday shopping frenzy start popping up all over. I hope I’m wrong on this...

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Boy seeing people celebrate the New Year at parties and going out to eat with their families is not at all loving upsetting. The loving Swedish prime minister got caught going to a mall two days for a loving watch after having a big statement on how we need to avoid the sales after Xmas in stores or need to keep our distance. Other officials have been caught doing similar as well.

Why do I wear a mask at all when maybe half the population does on a good day? Why do I feel guilty wanting to go downtown masked up and buy something that isn’t groceries? Why did I stay in Sweden for the holidays instead of visiting loved ones in the US? Others traveled to the ski slopes or South Africa or try and get back to England to see family. Sure I survived a zoom call and it was nice and all but clearly I could have just gone to my mom’s like usual because others did.

I feel like an idiot caring and trying to do the right thing, which I know is loving stupid. But gently caress I’m angry and exhausted of it all. I know I need to keep at it and keep doing what is really bare minimum to try and hinder the spread. But seeing others clearly not care is sucking the life out of me. I feel so spoiled for complaining because I haven’t had it affect me directly as much as others, but Jesus gently caress I feel like screaming into a pillow for hours. I cannot imagine being a healthcare worker during any of this.

There’s a few ways I help deal with what your describing above:
1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

Our shipment came in super late evening so I was fortunate to get my second pfizer dose yesterday at lunch. Last time I had a sore shoulder and was a little tired the following morning but nothing major.

This thing has loving rocked me this time, I legit haven't left bed and everything aches and is stiff along with a massive headache.

Very sorry to hear the second dose is hitting you hard. I hope it passes quickly. Very much appreciate you sharing this with the thread though, as many of us won't be getting vaccines for months (I assume).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

Just wanted to give an update on pfizer dose 2 for anyone that cares to know the info.

Most of our department felt crappy the next day and was fine. Myself and 2 others spiked fevers with aches the following day, and from Saturday to today I still have swollen and sore cervical and axillary lymph nodes on the side that got tgellhe shot, plus muscle fatigue in large muscle groups.

I saw employee health who documented it but said such symptoms are pretty drat normal for the 2nd dose from what they've shared throughout the chicagoland area, and should subside by day 7. The good news is that I know the shot was effective in provoking a strong rear end immune response.

Thanks for sharing again. Hope you start to feel better soon. Also you're avatar makes me smile every time I see it, which is pretty helpful the past 10-12 months.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

liz posted:

I truly feel like I’m living in an alternate reality at times. People I know are still getting together for birthdays, holidays, etc indoors during winter (w/ masks but still) and having ski weekends and such... While I live like a hermit only leaving to get groceries and go for a walk.

I haven’t hung out in someone’s house in almost a year now, and decided even fun shopping trips are now too risky with the new variants. Am I too cautious? It’s not like I’m in the at risk category but I have always been a “better safe than sorry” person.

Mask input: we’ve been using Honeywell N95s for everything now since the new variant. When I take it off I have an imprint in my face, so I’m guessing it’s a good fit?

Gonna quote myself from a few weeks ago - it seemed to help a couple other goons facing the same questions (as I do weekly), so hopefully it might help you out as well.

Kragger99 posted:

1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

Never stopped sanitizing groceries, still feeling good about that decision considering we keep seeing this happen. I do wonder how the increased transmissibility of the mutations affects fomite transmission, too.

Same. We have a decent routine down for this as well. I might be too cautious, but I'd rather be that than regret later.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I spoke to my grandparents yesterday and got the rundown of who in the family is failing due to old age and how they're all getting covid because they go get their hair done or go play darts with their war buddies and this and that. My grandparents tell me they're taking it seriously but then in the same call tell me about having cousins and friends come stay with them at their beach house and how my parents and aunt and uncle and everyone is all hanging out and having a good time BUT WE'RE DOING IT SAFELY and I just.. ugh. My brother and his wife keeps posting pictures of them at the beach with my parents having fun and it's just a lot to deal with. There's always this tone of "We wish you could be here like your brother" when speaking with my family on the phone that isn't explicitly said that way but I know because they're happily going to visit them that I look like the pariah or they get sad because they haven't seen me in a year. They of course preface it with "We know why you're staying home but...." every time.

You're not alone, and yeah it sucks donkey balls. One thing about this whole pandemic, is it's showing people's true colors when faced with an unseen threat. Many people are still in the mind set of "I want..." and others (like me) are more thinking "I think..."
I'm choosing to educate myself, and not ignore what's happening because I'm selfish, and can't deal with something affecting my life like this. NO ONE going through this will ever forget it. It's life impacting regardless of how serious you think it is/choose to ignore it.

I'm thinking it's probably one of the following scenarios:
1. This pandemic will end within 6-12 months in most countries due to vaccines (I give this ~5-10% chance btw), and all the strict precautions I took might have been more than what was needed in hindsight. So I was over-cautious. I'm fine with that.
2. This pandemic will become the new flu, where we get to a point where we have to get booster vaccines as it mutates. How long that lasts all depends on how it mutates, and how much more deadlier it becomes. It could become the new normal, and part of everyday life (I give this a 40% chance). This would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe from me from the beginning with my decisions.
3. This pandemic will take ~5 years to get "under control" where it's safe enough to start traveling/eating out/social events again. I'm giving this one a 50% chance). Again, this would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe (from me) from the beginning with my decisions.

In all 3 scenarios I'm happy with my decisions assuming I can keep them up without succumbing to fatigue. Every time I have to make a decision involving the pandemic (going out for groceries/supplies while masked or double masked, and wiping the perishables down with disinfectant), I ask myself "Will I be angry at myself if I get/give covid from this?". If the answer is yes, I usually avoid/decline it, or do it with extra protection.

Not sure if it helps, but this random stranger on this old forums site respects you for your decisions that positively affect you and your loved ones (even if they don't realize it).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I am still wiping everything down, or setting it aside in a safe place for 2-3 days. Anything from outside of the house that comes in gets either sanitized or set aside. Sure, maybe I’m going overboard, but if I did get the virus and it was due to me not cleaning something, I’d be pretty mad at myself.

What worries me is I’m struggling to think when I might get back to “normal”. Even if I was fully vaccinated, I’d still be worried I could possibly still infect someone else as an asymptomatic carrier.

Edit: VVV yeah, I know it's quite rare that it could happen, and thank you for posting that. But everything I'm sanitizing has been recently touched by someone else (mail delivery, checkout clerk, food delivery), so even though it's a slim chance, it's something I have control over, which is getting less and less VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 1, 2021

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I recall a news article from earlier in the pandemic that people with low Vitamin D seemed to have worse symptoms with COVID. I don’t know if that’s still the case, but it got me wondering - would this also affect the reaction to the vaccine?
For the goons that have had somewhat bad reactions to the vaccine, do you have “normal” vitamin D levels/take vitamin D supplements/spend time in the sun?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Gologle posted:

I'm glad that the thread has become overall more positive lately as people begin to get vaccinated, so I don't want to bring people down, but 2020 shifted my internal scale of whether humans are good or garbage very firmly into the "absolute garbage holy poo poo" area. All around me people are still, and have been for months, treating life as if everything is back to normal, hey, just wear a mask and you're practically immune! Restaurants having people dine in and crowd together, downtown areas still packed, beaches full of people, gently caress. You can't tell me all of those people are already vaccinated, it's the same people and types of people that have been doing this poo poo for months and months as death number go...UP! ALWAYS UP!

I gave up my life for a year! I quit my job! I watched my bank account slowly trickle down to almost nothing! And thanks to our previous government's callousness I was still forced to find a job in the middle of a rising tide of cases back in December. Even now I still stay indoors if at all possible and if I desperately need to go outside I make sure to walk in places very few other people go, and I'm always trying to play it as safe as I could. I lost friends from this, both literally, as in they were old and DIED, or figuratively lost due to not taking it seriously and I chose to sever contact. And seeing all these people around me live life like normal, talk about going out on the weekends, talk about visiting the mall, talk about going on with their worthless lives I just get so loving pissed. It's like nobody cares that over 500 THOUSAND people died, and every day thousands more pass away, and thousands more are afflicted with long term health conditions if they do make it.

I don't want to feel this hate for people, I want to go back to mostly thinking humans were alright, and reading this thread lately has helped lift my mood, but gently caress. No places anywhere near me are accepting appointments, I'm not yet eligible anyway if they did, and next week when I will be eligible I guarantee appointments are going to be even harder to make. And even after I get the vaccine I still have to deal with the reality that the people around me, vaccine or no, just don't and haven't given the slightest poo poo about their fellow man.

I posted this a few months ago, but most of it still applies. Hopefully this helps a little, and yes, many a day goes by that I just want to yell at people, but I know it won’t help. Reframing my thoughts to more positive and understanding ones helps me feel at least a little bit better.

We’ve fought this over a year now, we can fight a little bit more. Look at all the goons getting vaccinations here. We’re very close.

And use this thread to share. The people here will provide the moral support needed. We’re all in this together.

Kragger99 posted:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

Covid outbreak at my office this week.

One of the managers came into work on Monday the 12th "with bad allergies" and proceeded to cough and sneeze up a storm. By Friday the 16th he feels absolutely terrible and gets tested, turns out he's got covid. The other manager was in a conference room with this guy several times throughout the week. On Sunday the 18th he feels like poo poo, gets tested, also has covid.

On Monday the 19th two customer service agents come into work and are coughing and sneezing. Thankfully the senior manager tells them to leave and get tested. Boom, two more cases.

Yesterday a driver feels a headache and fever coming on, goes for a rapid test which comes back positive.

There are about 40 people in my building max, one guy just took out 12% of our staff so far. I feel like I dodged a bullet since I've been working at another building for the past 2 weeks and already planned next week as a week off.

Senior manager asked patient zero where he might have caught it, he admits he's been going to bars and parties and stuff pretty much non-stop since covid started. Cool, cool.

Sorry to hear that. I would hope that the majority of people would stay at home now when they feel even a little sick, but people that still don't treat this seriously at this point won't change their habits. I think until some people see/feel this first hand, they'll continue to tell themselves it's not a threat to them. So for every idiot that gets this virus, the chances rise that they and people close to them might start to take it a little more seriously.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I am curious what % of the pop will continue to wear masks long after they are vaccinated. Realistically, we should not see the flu get as bad as it ever has going forward (barring a major mutation) if at least ~20% of the pop wears masks. Trans-ocean flights were almost a tin can of cold and flu viruses, and as of now, I can't see myself not wearing a mask on one (wife's from Australia, and we live in Canada, so I have many more 14.5 hour flights in my future).

Wondering if I can wear masks for the 2+ hours wait in the airport in Canada, 3 hour flight to SF or LAX, 3+ hour wait in that airport, 14.5 to Sydney, then 1-2 hour through immigration/baggage. Almost a full day of wearing multiple masks in a row. And you may ask - will you wear a mask when sleeping on the long flight? Yes - I can't sleep on planes, so I'll be wearing one. Then you may ask - so you don't sleep for ~24 hours? Yup, Kragger is a grumpy Gus when he finally lands in Sydney (though my wife would say I'm that before we even leave Canada).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

airplane air is completely filtered every few minutes so I don't know if i'd call it a tin can of viruses.

Fair enough.
I do hope it's effective at recycling the exhaust of the ~7-16 people within 2 metres of me once they choose to not wear masks in ~6 months when it's no longer required.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

JeffLeonard posted:

If people haven't gotten at least the first dose by now, they are either A) dumb, B) lazy or C) deniers D)in Canada and under 60. If you aren't getting vaxxed & going out unmasked in public at this point, who loving cares if you get it. It's your own loving fault.
Added in another option.

Edit: Yes, they opened the AstraZeneca vacc to 40+ in some places, but there's limited supply and last I heard, we have no timelines on when we'll get more from India (I think it's manufactured in India?). On top of that, India might need to keep all the AZ vacc then can to help with the explosion there.
Has anyone read recent data on mix/match different vaccines? I know MRNA + non-MRNA ones could potentially be an issue, but would Pfizer (first dose)+ Moderna (second dose) be effective?

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm happy so many goons here will be able to get back to "normalish" after vaccinated. Unfortunately I'm one of the ones that is going to take a lot of time to get there mentally, and that's assuming this isn't endemic, which I think it is. There will be a small part of the population is the same boat as me, and if people start making us feel bad about our reservations, it's just going to make it take even longer. So for all of you that are ready to get back to some form of normal, please be patient with us. We're trying as well, we just have more barriers (mostly self-made) to overcome to get there.