Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
This thread is cool and I know I should be the change I want to see in the world but more screenshots or gifs of some of these games would be nice. I appreciate that this thread is helping me find some diamonds in the rough, and seeing all the experimental games has rejuvenated my interest in making something myself.

To that end I haven’t actually played anything from the bundle but I did try out Tape, which is a very simple project management tool that was included. Basically a fancy checklist that isn’t very robust but it’s not the worst thing to use if you’re trying to focus yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Relax Or DIE posted:

I was toying with the idea of using the bundle as an excuse to start a thread for a 'book club' thing but this beats me to it, nice

Reading back the thread again, anybody wanna do this? Maybe we could do it over the week and compile impressions/reviews.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Saoshyant posted:

If you haven't played Oxenfree, check it out. It's a horror-themed adventure game, but it's charming and even though the characters are teenage bratty sometimes, they are great. It's about 3-5 hours long, depending on how you play.

I might try and play this again with the dialogue muted. Tried a couple times on PS4 but couldn't make it past the first half hour.
The problem is not that the characters are teenage bratty, it's that it's a bunch of first year drama students trying to 'do' and write teenage bratty.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Tamashii is great, it's got both semi-brutal precision platforming and puzzles but each little world only focuses on one type of gameplay, so if you're frustrated with one style you can hop back to the hub and choose a world that's about the other. It's got a neat weird horror vibe and it's only a few hours long so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

(pictured above: vektor2089)

new batch of games was just added to the bundle

games to look out for: Midnight Manor, Night of the Consumers, Radical Solitaire, The Real Texas, Highway Blossoms, Long Gone Days, The Deer God, Don't Move, Lenna's Inception, Secret Little Haven, Milkmaid of the Milky Way, Nuclear Throne, Dujanah, Tamashii, Sai, Underhero, The White Door, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, Halloween Forever, A New Life, The Search, Last Word, Golf Peaks, Master Spy, Shrug Island, The Floor is Jelly, Soft Body, Blitz Breaker, Risk System, Puzzle Puppers, Headliner: Novinews, Spooky Station, A Hole New World, Resistance is Fruitile, Little Bug, Teocalli, You Died But a Necromancer Revived You, Botolo, Cecconoid, Zone of Lacryma, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Bit.Trip Runner 3, Little Comet, Dimension Drive, Warden: Melody of the Overgrowth, They Bleed Pixels

There are some very, VERY good games added in this batch.
Do you... have anything to say about any of these games?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This bundle is overwhelming good lord. I wish there was a way to sort via steam keys since I don't use itch.io. There also needs to be a genre search.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Cowman posted:

This bundle is overwhelming good lord. I wish there was a way to sort via steam keys since I don't use itch.io. There also needs to be a genre search.

AFIAK you don't get any Steam keys with this bundle at all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cowman posted:

What do you mean, sort via steam keys? There are no steam keys in the bundle.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Cowman posted:

Pretty sure there are none.

Also midboss is fun.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Silicon Zeroes is an excellent goon-made engineer puzzle in the vein of Zachtronics' games:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Risk System is a horizontal SHMUP where DANGER is the BEST OFFENCE. There are no power ups or bombs to collect. Increase your shot power by GRAZING BULLETS. Get bombs by GRAZING BULLETS. ALWAYS BE GRAZING. Shots are fired automatically when you line up with enemies, you just worry about dodging (barrel roll up or down) and unleashing bombs. The beautiful art that oozes style and persoanlity I believe was made by one man? I remember reading about it on Twitter ages ago but can't recall where now. I also like that there are clear visual indicators for when you're considered to be grazing; a yellow sphere flashes around your ship, which I couldn't get in my screencapping unfortunately.

How can I make gifs btw? I assume it's a software of some sort that I can get on Windows?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Another note in case anyone missed it: you do not need to download the itch.io client to play the games. There is no DRM. Just download the game directly and play.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

About Steam:

quote:

Will Steam (or other external keys) be given with a purchase?
No. In our experience, running a Pay-what-you-want bundle with Steam keys involved gets a lot of bitter people who just want to pay the bare minimum to try to claim all the Steam keys. That’s not in the spirit of the bundle. After the bundle is over, we may work with developers to grant keys to buyers if they have them available, but we will make no guarantees right now.

The bundle is now sitting at exactly 1000 items. I dunno if that's the final number or if more things will be added since people are still posting in the submissions thread. $2.9 million with about a week to go still.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zereth posted:

Nuclear Throne is IMO still the best run-based roguelite twin stick shooter. You pick from a variety of mutants, all of whom have their own special rules and perks. Then you dive into the nuclear wasteland to blast hundreds of mutants. There's a whole bunch of different weapons, hidden unlocks, hidden bonuses, secret zones and god knows what else.

It's also got a really cool style. The sound is marvelously dirty and grungy and the game feels amazing to play.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you get itch.io's installer to work at all? Everything I try leads to this:

Something went wrong

itch-setup, v1.18.0, built on Apr 10 2019 @ 07:29:17, ref 57838bc373361f2c8938336674247f869999e862

rename D:\Games\Itch\staging\app-25.4.0 D:\Games\Itch\app-25.4.0: Access is denied.
moving ready version to its proper place
Error during warm-up

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

overeager overeater posted:

Silicon Zeroes is an excellent goon-made engineer puzzle in the vein of Zachtronics' games:

Oh wow, I remember seeing the thread for this one three years ago. Totally meant to check it out after launch, and then completely forgot about it. Sorry, PleasingFungus!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Artelier posted:

Risk System is a horizontal SHMUP where DANGER is the BEST OFFENCE. How can I make gifs btw?

In this case, they have a looping video on their website and you can use a GIF converter to do the trick.

Like this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apparently every anti-virus on earth things Itch.io's app is a virus and refuse to install it, along with Windows. So that's weird.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Artelier posted:

Risk System is a horizontal SHMUP where DANGER is the BEST OFFENCE. There are no power ups or bombs to collect. Increase your shot power by GRAZING BULLETS. Get bombs by GRAZING BULLETS. ALWAYS BE GRAZING. Shots are fired automatically when you line up with enemies, you just worry about dodging (barrel roll up or down) and unleashing bombs. The beautiful art that oozes style and persoanlity I believe was made by one man? I remember reading about it on Twitter ages ago but can't recall where now. I also like that there are clear visual indicators for when you're considered to be grazing; a yellow sphere flashes around your ship, which I couldn't get in my screencapping unfortunately.

How can I make gifs btw? I assume it's a software of some sort that I can get on Windows?

Yeah, there are gif software out there. I don't know what the one on my other computer is called but most of them would require you to record the video first, then position a window from the gif maker over what you want and yadda yadda. Hopefully there's an easier way that we can both learn from.

The easiest way for this purpose is probably to see if the creator put gifs on the game's page.

https://risksystem.itch.io/rs

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zereth posted:

I can't speak out of experience but some of those have been in my wishlist for a while and I am very glad about their addition, especially Jimmy

Lenna's Inception

Explore a dangerous island filled with dungeons, and defeat the eight archangels to bring order to a glitched-out kingdom in this top-down Zelda-like action-adventure game. Playable in 8-bit and 32-bit pixel art styles!

Underhero

Underhero is a 2D side-scroller RPG adventure game with turn-based combat… without the turns! Precisely timed actions are your most powerful weapons. It tells an intriguing and mysterious story, full of silly characters brimming with personality, quirky dialogue, and lots of weird humor.

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass

The game takes place in the dream of an eight-year-old boy. When an alien entity appears and threatens his family and the stability of the dream world itself, Jimmy sets out on an adventure to save his family and eradicate the threat of the Pulsating Mass. Along the way, Jimmy will have to work with his family, confront his own shortcomings, and brave the creeping nightmares of his subconscious.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 9, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I love They Bleed Pixels, try it if you want a challenge platformer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I went back and edited my previous roundup post and also looked for anything new that caught my eye. I'll just copy paste the store description instead of writing a couple of lovely lines this time.

Long Gone Days
https://i.imgur.com/l9BRDRO.gifv

"Long Gone Days is a 2D modern-day military RPG set in our current times, with a focus on language and cultural barriers, inspired by classic dystopian literature and visual novels."

Highway Blossoms

"Highway Blossoms is a short yuri (lesbian) story set in the American Southwest. After an old gold rush miner's journal is discovered, supposedly detailing where he hid parts of his stash, a nationwide craze begins as would-be prospectors try to solve its clues and strike it rich. "

a new life

A classic love story: Meet, marry, grow old.
But when your loved one hurts you, what do you do?
Is it better to love and be hurt, than never love at all?

You died but a Necromancer revived you
https://i.imgur.com/u8SmEnT.gifv
You Died ... but a Necromancer revived you! And will keep bringing you back to their crazy tower of death until you reach the top floor and get rid of them, allowing you to finally be free...

The Novelist

The Novelist asks one central question: can you achieve your dreams without pushing away the people you love? The game focuses on Dan Kaplan, a novelist struggling to write the most important book of his career while trying to be the best husband and father he can be. The Kaplans have come to a remote coastal home for the summer, unaware that they're sharing the house with a mysterious ghostly presence: you.

JULIA Among the Stars

As your surroundings come into focus, you realize you were deep in cryogenic sleep on a vast space probe. But why you are there is an elusive memory. Disoriented, you rush to the control room searching for answers. Once there you learn from the ship’s AI that not only have you been asleep for decades, but you are also the last surviving member of the probe’s crew.

To make matters worse, the probe is severely damaged by a disastrous impact with a passing meteoroid swarm. First, you must make repairs. Not only is your own survival at stake, but you need to find out what happened to the crew and why you alone survived.

Steam Marines
https://i.imgur.com/oPqrrMD.gifv
Steam Marines is a squad based Roguelike featuring tactical play focused on positioning and careful use of resources. Keep on your toes as you fight through your besieged ship trying to reach each level's elevator.

Steam Marines 2
https://i.imgur.com/rKnArFL.gifv
Steam Marines 2 brings you to distant star systems and planetoids square in the path of conflict between the Tor alien race and the banner of sentient machines.

Take the helm of the I.S.S. Delhi and build your crew of marines and fleet resources toward the ends you choose.

A Mortician's Tale

A Mortician's Tale is a story-driven death positive video game where you play as a mortician tasked with running a funeral home. Take on the role of recent funeral direction graduate Charlie as she learns the ropes of the business and industry. Prepare the bodies of the deceased (via embalming or cremation), attend their funerals and listen to their loved ones' stories, and interact with Charlie's coworkers, clients, and bosses.

Don't take it personally, I just don't like you

Don't Take it Personally, I Just Don't Like You is a lo-fi relationship dramedy about camping illegally on government property in the chill of early autumn, having public anxiety attacks in crowded shopping malls, the people we choose to be with, and what we do when they don't choose us back.

Gun Rounds
https://i.imgur.com/r7Keesl.gifv
Gun Rounds is a game about a small, squishy person battling their way through swarms of enemies. A turn-based shooter with roguelite elements, Gun Rounds will challenge your tactics, sharpshooting skills, and reflexes!

Knights of the Card Table

Master over 100 dungeons and 3 worlds in this dungeon crawler card game that puts YOU in control of the dungeon cards. Rearrange the dungeon cards to collect loot before rolling dice to slay foes with your nunchucks.

The Testimony of Trixie Glimmer Smith

After finding the cursed play 'The King in Yellow', Trixie Glimmer Smith, a slacking student at Bluebell University recounts the terrible events that set her a week behind in her coursework.

Blind Men

A parody of spy fiction, Blind Men is a boys' love visual novel that follows a young super villain as he carries out his first big heist.

This World Unknown

This World Unknown is a fantasy-themed otome game where the player assumes the role of the first person narrator, Rhea, and can romance four available guys. Which route you end up on depends on the choices made during the common route.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you have a VR headset, Locomancer is a VR train set where you can drive the trains around. That I think should be all the selling I need to do of it. Also if you follow creators on Itch, a lot of them are adding stuff they like from the bundle to collections which is how I found this one.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seriously thanks to this bundle I'm able to go through my steam wishlist and remove items because I have them now. Wow.

I'm going to keep the games I like on my wishlist so I can give them money later on, when I can afford it. I'm sorry I doubted Glittermitten Grove for three years.

I don't have any other games to point out in the bundle yet, so have this awesome sign from the local George Floyd vigil that I went to last weekend

Black Lives Matter in Warlpiri, one of the languages spoken in central australia.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Secret Little Haven is totally worth playing if you have any interest in or affection for Web 1.0, vaporwave/Y2K aesthetics, or games that occur entirely in a fictional operating system. If you have any savvy for the past decade of indie gaming trends you'll know exactly what it's "about" almost immediately but the art design and writing is fantastic even if you have zero interest in trans teen angst.

cubicle gangster posted:

I might try and play this again with the dialogue muted. Tried a couple times on PS4 but couldn't make it past the first half hour.
The problem is not that the characters are teenage bratty, it's that it's a bunch of first year drama students trying to 'do' and write teenage bratty.

The problem is that the game is built around it's voice acting so roughly 80% of the game is you slowly walking back and forth along needlessly long linear paths just so the game has enough time to let the voice acting play out. I get why people liked it and it does have a few cool moments but if you're like me and have zero patience for games with a lot of unnecessary traversal and backtracking then you're not going to like Oxenfree.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Thanks to everyone for posting, you're helping us all find great games we would have missed. I give a special thanks to The 7th Guest and Samuringa for their excellent lists!

2064: Read Only Memories was just added. You play as an investigative journalist in a cyberpunk setting. The gameplay is a mix between a visual novel and a point and click adventure game. I like the pixel art. The soundtrack reminds me of a Roland keyboard I owned in the 90's and I find that endearing.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 9, 2020

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Night in the Woods

Play as Mae as she comes back home to her rural town as a college dropout. Explore the town over several weeks as you rejoin childhood friends and family in a life you thought you'd left behind. The game's really good at exploring the death of rural areas in America, the economic malaise that has affected so many, and the lives of people left behind. I paid $10 for this game so $5 for this and 999 more games is just a steal.

Oneshot

Oneshot features Niko, a child named the new savior, lost in a strange land with a quest to save the world... but all is not as it appears. Some of the early text boxes appear outside of the game and some puzzle solutions require you to explore not just the game but your computer as well. A 10ish hour experience, well worth it at it's full price of $10, much less $5.

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass

A very earthboundish RPG. You play as Jimmy, a very imaginative kid that goes out for some honey to help his mom bake and ends up going on an adventure. The game can be somewhat challenging and definitely lives up to that earthbound feeling. The game also needs a lot of content warnings, as the game can be incredibly disturbing and messed up. Highly highly recommended if you want to do your best.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I found an excel file that lists all the games so I added a randomizer to spit out a random game's page.

Did it in 5 seconds so isn't the greatest. Just shows the page and then highlights the line on the spreadsheet if you want so you can see what page the game is on.

https://gofile.io/d/mtfTJ6

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I skipped to page 37 and as I was clicking on links back and forth the contents of the page had changed because now there was a page 38.

This sale is gutting my GOG wishlist.

edit: was Celeste on there a minute ago?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm going through and saw there are now 39 pages. 1149 games now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Celeste!!!!!!!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Hello, Charlotte is there, too. It's a weird series of RPGMaker games that's quite a trip. Definitely worth checking out if you liked Ib, The Witch's House and the sort.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
They're adding games right now. I refresh on occasion and get new stuff. This has been an outright amazing bundle!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cojawfee posted:

Wtf

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The thread title is already way too outdated.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
A few I haven't seen mentioned:

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist - some of the best guard patrol AI I've seen in a game, the sequence with the car and the grappling hook is amazing, and the Tiger is incredibly animated. Short but worth it.

Hero Generations - a roguelike where every step you take is one year of your character's life, so you need to get a heir before you die to continue

Helium Rain - budget space game in the X4 mold

Football Drama - a game about being the manager of a football (soccer) team. Kind of card/choose your own adventure based

Plunge - interesting little roguelike with short puzzle type levels where the gimmick is you have to move as far in one direction as possible at all times

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Thanks to everyone for posting, you're helping us all find great games we would have missed. I give a special thanks to The 7th Guest and Samuringa for their excellent lists!

2064: Read Only Memories was just added. You play as an investigative journalist in a cyberpunk setting. The gameplay is a mix between a visual novel and a point and click adventure game. I like the pixel art. The soundtrack reminds me of a Roland keyboard I owned in the 90's and I find that endearing.

The head of the developer of Read Only Memories and his replacement were both ousted for various #MeToo and labor issues, considering the cause this charity fundraiser is supposed to be for it's kind of weird that they signal boosted a game with such toxic developers. But hey, if you wanted to play a mediocre Snatcher knockoff where furries are a persecuted minority now you can do it without actually giving them money.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Bundle rules, itch rules, gently caress the police. I have a lot of recommendations for some of the more obscure games I've played that I'll post when all my free time isn't spent sifting through this enormous bundle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now up to 1257. I was getting to the last page and I guess it wasn't meant to handle this many games, because the last few pages for me just list the same games over and over again. Oh well.

Also, can the OP be updated with info on how to use the itch app with this bundle? If you click download and then add to a collection, it then adds the game to your library. Then you can just open the app, look at your library and then click install. Kind of annoying, but at least you don't have to deal with 1200 games being in your library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

42 pages now. Is there any way to sort this by recently added that I am missing?