Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The virus ecology stuff is extremely cool!! I love a lot of the ideas here, that viruses can evolve though some of them were created by hackers. A solid dose of world building.

Small typo, I think:
"Reftile are frilled lizard viruses with fragments of barries around their necks."

Pretty sure that coul should be "barriers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Shanghai really does think with her stomach and her fists, doesn't she? Either she can eat it, or she needs to beat it up.

In her defense, that outlook on life has served her rather well so far.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shei-kun posted:

Shanghai really does think with her stomach and her fists, doesn't she? Either she can eat it, or she needs to beat it up.

In her defense, that outlook on life has served her rather well so far.

That's pretty much the standard shonen protagonist approach to life, so she's clearly following in the well-trod footsteps of others.

And yeah, her cyber Yakuza gang speaks to her success.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blaziken386 posted:

: "Juragon are called fire dragons, but are closer to wyverns than dragons."
: "The difference between the two are whether their arms are in their wings or seperate."
: "Their flame breath is hotter than the flames of most other viruses, so watch out."
: "The breath is formed by a cyber-reaction of sulfur compounds in their bodies."
: "The resulting sulfide gas ignites on contact with the outside air."
: "Cyber-reactions don't need to follow the physical laws of the real world."
: ◄(Doesn't understand but didn't want to interrupt)
: ◄(Stopped listening halfway through)

...Well I thought it was interesting, at least.
You and I are on the same page on this one; my father used to have a book titled The Flight of Dragons that was a bunch of :spergin: theorycrafting about how dragons could have existed and what their biological mechanisms would have looked like if they did. It was cool and I read it several times. The tl;dr version is that the book posited that dragons were biological hydrogen blimps and the fire breath was an exhaust mechanism. There was also apparently an animated movie based off it that I never knew about?

Blaziken386 posted:

: "The official name of this virus is 'Shotgun Hopper'."
: "They seem to be a subspecies of an older virus called a 'Cannon Hopper'."
: "They really irritate me, jumping and shooting everywhere."
: "In the Net around the countryside, they're called 'GunLocust'."
: "Huh..."
: (Those sound delicious...)

...I don't want to eat that.
I wonder if this is another Japanese pun that didn't translate well? Because neither guns nor grasshoppers seem very tasty to me.

Blaziken386 posted:

: "Wukong are monkey-shaped viruses with a motif of Goku from Journey To The West."
: "If you say so."
: "There's a long story behind the name 'Wukong'."
: "Maybe I'll look it up some day."
: "I thought it was named after Wookies."
: (Are Wookies monkeys?)

Despite Journey To The West being, like, a really widely known, adapted, and referenced story, I've never actually read it. I think Sekiro made some references to it? That's about as close as I've gotten.
Eh, the closest I've gotten is the PSX SRPG adaptation. I still don't think it's super well known in the US.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always thought the zenny-as-a-battle-reward thing was the PET automatically uploading combat results to the government and then getting a bounty in return. I guess the junk data makes a bit more sense; you automatically keep useful chip data and sell the junk data? Eh.

I recently played the latest demo of ChronoX and I gotta say, I king of prefer Genso Network. This game has some real issues with virus and boss balance (seriously some of the combos your enemies can pull off are horseshit; double juragon, thunder-on-ice, Carrie, etc), but it's offset by being very kind to the player in regards to drops, chip codes and virus availability. ChronoX...isn't. I knew some of the challenges in advance and I had a tough time putting together a decent chip folder. They throw an alphabet soup worth of codes at you that you will never use and it takes a good few bosses before the game opens up and lets you have some actually useful code combos.
And this includes chips in shops which can be LUDICROUSLY goddamn pricy despite having weird codes.

The drop system was recreated faithfully from BN and honestly that's kind of the problem: that system kind of sucks and Genso really revealed how much better it could be. Chip drops are far more generous in Genso than in ChronoX which is great because nobody wants to bother with poo poo like Collect and it gives you folder options early in the game. This means even low-level busting ranks are give you at least the possibility of future combos. And let's face it, you're not getting rich off that 200 zenny you woulda gotten otherwise so who cares. This is before I talk about the :master: of "backporting" the Crimson Noise program.

ChronoX seems intent on recreating the BN experience warts and all.

ChronoX also has some baffling goddamn decisions, like giving you Cannon C for a PA after HiCannon chips become available. Why? I will never use a goddamn Cannon chip, let alone a Cannon chip in three different codes after HiCannons become available.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm tentatively looking forward to the full release of Chrono X? But yeah, it does have some issues, and some of those issues are rooted in "it's a game made by people who are already really good at battle network." Honestly, I'm kinda fine with that as far as battling goes? So long as you end powerful, I dont mind the beginning kicking your rear end a bit. But then, I also had fun playing BN6 randomizers that did poo poo like turning Mettaur into Earthdragon, so I'm a little biased.

My main gripe with Chrono X is that they faithfully recreated the one thing they never should have: awful gameplay gimmick dungeons. I spent an hour trying to sneak Mr. Progs past poison clouds before throwing up my hands and saying gently caress it.

Also re: collect - the system is slightly weighted more in your favor, but at the same time... you can buy the collect equivalent relatively early and it only costs 1 Core to equip. You know, rather than how BN does it, ie: "it's annoying to equip and you can likely only acquire it when you're at the penultimate area"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

Also re: collect - the system is slightly weighted more in your favor, but at the same time... you can buy the collect equivalent relatively early and it only costs 1 Core to equip. You know, rather than how BN does it, ie: "it's annoying to equip and you can likely only acquire it when you're at the penultimate area"

Sure but in most games you get Collect really late, Genso is prob the earliest. BN3 it was in the WWW base, BN4 requires you to assemble the C-slider and so on. It's useful, but not as useful as it could be early on when you're starved for chip codes and your folder composition is a mess.

quote:

some of those issues are rooted in "it's a game made by people who are already really good at battle network."

That's what gets me, the game expects a fair amount of skill (seriously Raven's desperation move is legit kinda mean for a first boss) but it gives you codes piecemeal. Even BN5 throws S-codes at you early on like it's going out of style. Here it's like Q? W?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wonder if the Baldy virus is actually based on hanafuda cards.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shanghai.EXE allows you to start assembling a folder from the word go, and (if you're really persistent) to even start grinding up for Cannon PAs and pick up some of the second-tier chips.
Chrono X locks you in tight and doesn't allow you to do much experimenting with things that are available, and rather than make enemy formations more difficult they just cap higher HP values on them.

Maybe I was spoiled by Shanghai, but I played Chrono X up until the X defense scenario and had a bad taste in my mouth the entire while.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

All caught up on this after seeing the Touhoumon lp recommend it so often and...this is a far better game than I thought it'd be!
Which is probably not fair to it at all but something about "battle network, but touhou" just had me thinking it'd probably be more of a mess and much smaller in scope.
But no it really is (unimplemented content aside) basically a full fledged battle netwrok game. It's very impressive.

Stray thoughts
-Letting Shanghai have such a distinct, developed personality is rad. I love the BN games a lot but I really couldn't tell you anything about mega man's personality other than "the straight man to Lan's nonsense". Definitely grabbed more from Omega, for the better.
-All the virus designs are really fun. When it comes to original or fodder enemies in general I feel like fangames can be pretty "eh" but a lot of these are both fun interpretations of touhou characters and just fun original ones that would fit the BN series well
-the hertz/gb system in place of the navi customizer is a cool way to do its own thing that roughly equates to what the navicust was all about
-Likewise basically just treating dark chips like giga chips is such a better idea. BN4 was a disaster and BN5 it was basically just a tool for chaos unison.
-I thought Mari(sa) would have been more important. The friend group is pretty good, but seeing an Alice game and having Reisen be the second most important character (well, third, after shanghai) was surprising. A fun surprise though, it's kinda nice & interesting that the game does its own thing as much as it pulls on touhou tropes
-Seeing Sagume & Sumireko, I think this is the first fangame I've seen actually pull on characters post 13 (and even 13's kind of hit or miss). There's lots of cool characters from 14-on but it feels like they don't get used a lot...but maybe I'm just not as intune with that these days.
-Definitely fell for the "Rei...." fake out, so you got me there, game.
-Before seeing Reimu, but after seeing Reisen, I was starting to think that Druidman was itself a disguise and that Yukari (OBVIOUSLY the evil leader!!!!!!!)'s navi would be Reimu. Since you could draw a line from "shrine maiden" to "druid"; and Yukari does just kind of use Reimu for her own ends in canon.
-But double oops on that one!
-I thought the twist to Shanghai would somehow involve Hourai, which in these kind of works if there's two dolls involved, will be the second one. Really batting a thousand on theories here
-But surely this one is right:

The mugshot of the Mysterious Leader has a brand of smug mouth that's similar to Doremy

And hey since we have Sagume and she's not just a last minute replacement for a toyohime i'd be down for that swerve of a villain.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

Shanghai.EXE allows you to start assembling a folder from the word go, and (if you're really persistent) to even start grinding up for Cannon PAs and pick up some of the second-tier chips.
Chrono X locks you in tight and doesn't allow you to do much experimenting with things that are available, and rather than make enemy formations more difficult they just cap higher HP values on them.

Maybe I was spoiled by Shanghai, but I played Chrono X up until the X defense scenario and had a bad taste in my mouth the entire while.

Yeah, exactly. That's what got me, like I was surprised how bleh I felt about it after being hype as hell for another fangame. They even do the thing where they give you zenny instead of the boss V1 chip like old BN games and like why? That feature sucked SF3 is so much better about it and you give new toys for the player to use why would you change it back to the old version. It's not like they can't force drops, I know they can.

I also forgot how utterly pointless the optional comps were after being spoiled with Shanghai, especially since some of the V2 chips you can pick up real early on (like ShotGun2) are really good and can carry you throughout the game.

I'm even gonna say it; I'm cold on the Memento system. It's just kind of...okay. The extra restriction on the Navicust and the HP sacrifice seem real needless though. I don't get it, why?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Part 45: Dance of Deduction

So, last time! We messed around and caught a bunch of viruses. And the time before that... we stopped a hospital from burning down. ...What is it we were supposed to be doing, again?

Ah, right. Planning our assault on the ROM Base. With the power of money! And friendship.

Music: Incident!

Remilia's house: still extremely snazzy.

: "Why are you coming to me with this...?"
: "Ah... I thought I would go to someone more, uh... resourceful?"

Wait, are you saying you don't have extremely handy plot-items due to your vast wealth?? I thought you were our Yai friend?

Remilia, you may have been largely absent from the story for a good chunk of this game, but please know that I still love you. :allears:

: "Huh?"
: "The chip shop owner, what was her name...?"
: "Kumami? She really has that much money...?"

...You know, now that I think about it... she has gotten in trouble for embezzlement in the past. ...And has the funds necessary to start a business as a hobby. ...And has enough money to buy a tank to use as a car.

Yeah, that tracks. Remilia is "fancy house" wealthy. Kumami is "retired mob boss" wealthy.

: "I'm not good enough at NetBattling to help with this whole situation..."
: "I don't have the power to make a difference on my own."
: "Perhaps a NetBattle will push us both to improve."

You know what?

Music: VS. Navi

You're on.

Sakuya V3! Her health's a little on the low-side as a consequence of technically being the first boss of the game, but that doesn't make her a pushover by any means.

Her V3 speeds mean she's almost constantly pelting you with knives, and every time you get a hit in on her, she activates anti-damage and jumps up to throw more knives at you. Unless you're ridiculously good at dodging, you'll need some kind of defense up to prevent flinching.

If you wanna take her down in a reasonable amount of time, paralyzing chips are a necessity, just so you can combo her effectively. ...She'll still jump up once the paralysis wears off, though, so stay on your toes.

As a side note, given that we've begun the endgame proper, I've elected to change up my folder a bit. RageCannon's not the strongest PA, but...

It's still pretty effective.

(The real reason I switched over to T-code: so I could use the FstGauge chip)

...No, no, that's not good enough.

Once more, from the top!

:toot:

So... Kumami, huh?

: "Was I wrong?"
: "Well... If you had an unlimited budget..."

I'm sure Sagume could probably be convinced to write a blank check for this operation, yes.

: "A stealth plane?"
: "A special type of plane built to trick radar systems."
: "I heard some foreign countries have been developing them for spying or VIP transport."
: "Dunno how you'd get ahold of one though."

To give you a rough ballpark of the relative cost of these things: something like Kumami's tank probably costs around 8 or 9 million dollars USD. (There's so many types of tanks, and I have no idea what she has.) An F-35 stealth plane costs 100 million dollars... and doesn't even work right.

So, yes, a stealth plane would be a lovely solution to our problems! You know. Hypothetically.

: "Everybody wants a fighterjet, kid."
: "And I don't know which country has them, those are military secrets."
: "Sorry I couldn't be more help."
: "It's alright, you were plenty of help."

Well, at the very least, we've gotten an idea of what to look for.

Well... Border Concern had a bunch of ridiculous technology hiding out in their offices, and it's safe to bet that Yukari didn't give ROM access to everything. We could start there, maybe?

Beyond that, I dunno where we might find one. I mean, it's not as though we have any friends with intimate and personal knowledge of top secret government projects or anything.

...*cough*

Oh hey, I wonder what Wriggle's been up to lately?

Music: Engelles

: "Alice!"
: "Ah! Uh... your highness?"
: "Ahahaha! It's okay, you can just call me Wriggle!"
: "You and I are friends!"

Oh, we are the best of friends.

That! Is a very good question. Especially given the fact that we're currently in a state of national emergency and all.

: "I came over to sightsee, but it looks like now's not the best time for it."
: "Yeah..."

That is, perhaps, something of and understatement.

I... no, I can't even begin to believably dispute that. Alice and Shanghai are The Protagonists™, getting into trouble is their lot in life.

: "!"

Music: Cyber of Lost Ship

At this point, Wriggle begins pacing back and forth, spinning around each time. It's very goofy and cute, and utterly unscreenshotable! Unfortunately, she spins way too friggin' fast. You'll just have to take my word for it. :3:

The reason for the music change? Because it's time for Sherlock Holmes' Herlock Sholmes' Wriggle Nightbug's Logic and Reasoning Spectacular! The game is afoot!

Topic 1: Alice's Role In The Incident?

: "You look like you've been running hard - you're sweating a bit."
: "But you could stop to have a chat with me, so nobody's been chasing you."
: "So!"

Conclusion:

Topic 2: Who's Being Hunted?

: "Without a doubt, it's got to be ROM!"
: "You're a very brave friend, but your main strength is your NetBattling skills."
: "It's a little hard to imagine you chasing down the Yakuza or the Mafia..."
: "I couldn't miss that ROM broadcast, and the timing can't be a coincidence."

Conclusion: ROM

Topic 3: Alice's Goal?

: "A list of next-gen jet fighters... Stealth jets, to be precise."
: "But you're running around the city, from place to place."
: "So you couldn't find what you wanted in the encyclopedia."

Conclusion:

: "I wonder if I could help you with that..."

Deduction Complete!

(...is it obvious that I've been playing The Great Ace Attorney on a lot lately?)

Music: Engelles

: "Yamaze Nadu, you're thinking of."

Ah yes, the Great Detective, Sherlock Holmes Herlock Sholmes Yamaze Nadu.

: "Great Detective Wriggle?"
: "Before that!"
: "You can help us?!"

: "Heh heh... sometimes it's just so much faster to take a shortcut through foreign airspace."
: "Nobody's caught me yet! Anti-air's just not ready for invisibility systems."

Wriggle? You're my new best friend.

: "But this is exactly what we were looking for, Alice!"
: "Well, before I just hand it over, I want to know what you plan to use it for."
: "Well..."

Music: Stop

: "Please, would you let us use it?"

Please?

...Pretty please with sugar on top?

: "Really?!"
: "Are you really going alone?"
: "I can do so much to bring the fight to ROM."
: "...But I don't want to put any of my friends in danger."
: "I hope you know what you're doing..."

We'll be fine!

...Probably.

: "I'll take you to the fortress in my plane."
: "Wriggle... Thank you so much!"
: "It's what a friend would do!"

: "We'll end this once and for all!"

:yeah:

That said... the ROM Base is very obviously the game's Final Dungeon, so we need to get all of our affairs in order before heading off. No stone left unturned!

Music: Internet

So, first things first, I'm gonna go around and check all the Squares for stuff I've missed and also BBS posts.

I'm saving the remainder of the SP Viruses for the PostGame, because that's a whole side thing. Also I just don't want to hunt down ~40 extra strong viruses at the moment!

Tamezou posted:

War!

Did you see the TV? Did ROM just issue a declaration of war?! Between this and the black Navis, monsters are no longer contained to the cyber-world. ...I heard a rumor that someone saw a black Navi in the real world.

MakoMako posted:

Re: War!

I heard that too, but it's only a rumor. I'm turning off my electricity and staying inside after I write this message. It seems peace was a lie and I was wrong about what I posted the other day.

Donkichi posted:

Don't give in to fear! That's what ROM wants you to do! In times like this, normal folks like us need to stand up with strong hearts!

Corona posted:

Donkichi is right! Don't be scared! All of us can be heroes by doing whatever we can do to help! I've been working with the NetAgents' Battle Chip collection drive! If our chips can save the world, we have to be able to do at least this much!

MakoMako posted:

I'm sorry for being afraid! Corona is right! I might not be able to do much, but I'll do what I can!

I know it's supposed to be taken seriously but I can't stop laughing at "It seems peace was a lie and I was wrong about what I posted the other day." It's very :tinfoil:.

Mesh posted:

Minus AddOn

Well, Parasol, you found one solution to your Core and Hertz problems. I manage to make ends meet with Minus AddOns. I found a shop selling them in the Lord Usa comp in Eien Town.

RenkoSis posted:

Re: Minus AddOn

Heyooo! RenkoSis here! That's quite a risk to be using Minus AddOns, Mesh! Minus AddOns increase your Cores and Hertz by adding negative effects! Sometimes you can use chips to get around the negative effects, though! For me, I use ShlArmr with a StunDmg Minus AddOn. You won't be stunned if you've got ShlArmr's Super Armor!

Parasol posted:

Re: Minus AddOn

Minus AddOns! I didn't know they could be so useful! I got one from my friend, but I was afraid to use it! Using chips to cancel the downside... I'll check it out!

As someone who's been using ShlArmr chips for a good half of this playthrough, it never once occurred to me that they would counteract the "Always get paralyzed on flinch" AddOn. Shame on me for not experimenting more, I guess!

CrabMiso posted:

Hidden version

The hidden versions might be something you get from the CrimNois AddOn? it's super rare though, so not many people have it. A hidden version chip would come from S-ranking an enemy that drops a rare chip.

Shinono posted:

Re: Hidden version

There's no way I can do that! Not that it matters since I don't have CrimNois... But a rare chip, huh...? I guess a Navi chip would count as rare. I wonder if I should practice S-ranking my friend's Navi for when I find a CrimNois.

Peperon posted:

Re: Hidden version

But if normal people can't get those versions, how will we complete our libraries? Not that I'm even close to finishing the rest of the collection...(ಥ_ಥ)

CrabMiso posted:

Hidden version

Good news, Peperon! Those chips don't count towards library completion! They're like mutations, so completionists don't count them towards 100%.

Peperon posted:

Hidden version

That's so weird! But that's a load off my mind. I think I'd still like to get my hands on a CrimNois, though.

Actually, fun fact about CrimNois and rare chips!

I had it on while exploring the Undernet earlier, and got this as a rare drop! It's one of the very very few illegal chips which isn't just a stronger variant of a normal chip. You may have seen me use it in the Sakuya fight earlier. It's literally just the AirHoc chip from the later battle network games, but stupidly rare because yes, a 40 damage guard breaking multihit chip is kind of incredibly broken with the right setup.

Given the code, the artwork, and the fact it's literally one of his attack names, I have a feeling this was intended as a rare drop from TortiseMan, similar to Sakuya V3 having the chance to drop TimeStop *, but was changed for balance reasons.

Doubly so because the actual battle sprite for it uses the same palette. :v:

Anyways, back to posts!

Music: Undernet

NO NAME posted:

ROM

Did you see that ROM declared war? Things are lookin' up.

NO NAME posted:

Re: ROM

Now's not the time to be edgy. This is a bad thing for the Net.

NO NAME posted:

SP Virus Hunt

>net agent bad
>ROM man good
It's that time of year again... I think it's time for a SP virus hunt thread! First up, RaijunSP!

NO NAME posted:

Re: SP Virus Hunt

>RaijunSP
Just gotta dodge up and down to the beat, yeah. But that AxeHawkSP... How do you know where that axe's goin' next?

NO NAME posted:

>AxeHawkSP
Try blocking it with a sandbag or somethin'. That Beetl SP tho... How are we supposed to bust through 400 aura?

NO NAME posted:

400 aura's nothin' if you can nail a 200 damage Heat shot on a grass panel. After that, their next aura's gonna break from a stiff breeze.

Oi, I said I'd deal with the SP viruses in a later update! Don't go talkin' about 'em now!

...That AxeHawk strategy does seem handy though, I should write that down or something.

NO NAME posted:

Re: Huge Damage

...that's times 4 damage for an Elec chip. Interesting! I tried using Melt to double Aqua damage on a Heat Navi, but they wouldn't Melt.

NO NAME posted:

Melt an Earth element. They're already weak to it, so Aqua will do 4 times damage.

NO NAME posted:

If you can Slip a Poison Navi while they're on Ice or Poison...

NO NAME posted:

8!! My RailGun3 would do 1600 damage! This bad guy has a one-hit KO dream!

Now, strictly speaking, you don't really need to do that much damage for most enemies, but the fact that you can is wonderful. This isn't StarForce, there's no benefit to building a combo that can kill a boss in sub 10 seconds, other than bragging rights.

While here, I realized that I never bought either of the HPMemories in this shop! They were, respectively, 20,000z and 25,000z.

So now we have 880 (+200) total max HP!

There's also this virus that I missed when visiting Undernet 10. I'm... honestly not sure how I missed it, but I did!

It is a monkey. Also still Leaf-Element.

Back in Genso Square, we have one final thing to do.

: "The new president of a large company is facing some issues."
: "The previous president has hidden the secretary Navi's work behind strong protection."
: "We need a Navi with high-level busting technique to remove the protection."
: "Please come to the president's office in our HQ in Central City's North District."

Hmm... that sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it?

And our client is...!

: I'm the new president of Border Concern, Maribel Hearn."

Maribel Hearn!

I talked about the setting of the Music CDs back when Renko (aka RenkoSis on the chatboards) was introduced, but I didn't really dive deep into Maribel herself. So let's fix that! Maribel Hearn is really interesting as a character, because there's all sorts of speculation about her, which will never be confirmed or denied because that's not how ZUN rolls.

To start off, her appearance is incredibly remniciscient of Yukari Yakumo, everyone's favorite Eldritch Milf™. As are her abilities - whereas Yukari can freely manipulate boundaries, Maribel is limited to simply seeing them. ...Except maybe they're not limited to that, because sometimes she'll go up to Renko and say something like "So, I had this dream last night where such and such happened", and then pull out objects from the dream she took as souvenirs? This tends to lead to Renko having some minor :wtc: moments. So, she has the same powers, but not nearly as much experience, or control.

And to top it all off, she's based on the real-life author, Lafcadio Hearn. Who, when immigrating to Japan, changed his name to Koizumi Yakumo.

The prevailing theory behind Maribel is that at some point, she travelled back to the past, and her foreknowledge drove her to create Gensokyo, becoming Yukari in the process. Sorta like a hardcore environmentalist finding themselves back in time before the industrial revolution, and trying their hardest to do something about climate change.

The prevailing theory has no idea what exactly happened to Renko, though, so it's still incomplete.

Anyways, where were we?

: "I was given the position as the niece of the previous president."
: "I anticipated this would happen some day, so I had already begun studying business."
: "However, my idiot aunt has made things very inconvenient for me."

Ah, yes. In this universe, Yukari and Maribel are two very clearly different people, and Maribel has had it up to here with her aunt's bullshit. Of course. :allears:

: "Thank you, but your confidence is unnecessary. I have full understanding of the business."
: "The real issue is that my aunt has locked the secretary Navi behind strong protections."
: "Knowledge of the business is useless without the ability to execute my tasks!"
: "What do you mean by protections?"
: "ROM-derived protections that release viruses on access."

God dammit, Yukari.

: "Virus busting? This'll be over in a second!"
: "Thank you!"
: "The locked Navi can be found in the server for this office."

Okay, so, we just jack into the servers right next to you, right?

...Right?

Haha, no. :suicide:

Music: Cyber of Server

Well, at the very least, it's an excuse to listen to the music again? Silver lining?

After walking all the way back to the end of the dungeon, we're greeted by a frozen version of Ran. Who'd you think the Secretary Navi was?

: "Can you see the protection system?"
: "Ugh... I see the number 45."
: "We have to fight 45 viruses? Are you kidding me?"

Thankfully, this isn't 45 virus fights. This is fifteen sets of three-virus fights. Much more reasonable.

:3:

Music: VS. Virus

These are technically tier 3 viruses, but. C'mon.

Slightly better! Could've done some damage, if not for me pressing the Utsuho button.

I neglected to screenshot my victory against this one, so it must not've been that important. FlaMeow are still FlaMeow, even at tier 3.

Haha weedkill go brrrr

Ooh, there we go, that's a bit more deadly! But I drew DrkFlm this turn as well, so they didn't get a chance to fight back.

This one was a little hectic, but not too bad.

This attack did not actually kill the Tanukit, because the Tanukit had exceptional timing when turning into a guardian statue.

Boo, this is a downgrade. Blubster and Squikari don't even do anything for a few seconds!

Better.

This one isn't hard, just annoying. LibeRdr, please sit still and let me kill you.

The game knows full well just how many good fire chips there are, and yet, it gives me grass panels anyways. Thank you, game, your generosity knows no bounds.

Some may say that Ran X is illegal, and incredibly unfair.

I don't dispute that, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop. :v:

Bibibats are only really an issue on sand panels, frankly. Also the game is taunting me with that EvilEye, because the EX version drops a chip I don't have yet, and this fight doesn't drop chips. I'm so close to library completion!! Gimme your chips, dammit!!!

This battle is, well...

And for the final battle, we have...! Actually something surprisingly strong.

LansirEX and Legion (the SP version) both stock AreaGrabs, you see.

Thankfully they don't have that much health, but I still got trapped in the last column pretty darn fast. It could have gone poorly!

...That said, I was honestly expecting the game to throw out something ridiculous like the Ratholas virus again.

Music: Cyber of Server

: "That was..."
: "That was pretty tough, even for me!"

...Go ahead and ignore the parts where I called the viruses weak, okay? :ssh:

Yes, she immediately jacks out without really acknowledging Shanghai at all. ...Though, last time she saw us we did kind of kill her, so, fair?

: "Hey!"

C'mon, Shanghai, you can go yell at her in person.

: "...You're the one who beat Renko!"

Eh?

: "She's my best friend, and she's teaching me NetBattling techniques."
: "...We can talk later, here's your reward."

BattleChip, get!

We've already fought Ran V1, but only got Chen's chip. Now we have both!

: "Of course!"

Sometime? How about... right now?

Music: VS. Navi

Ran V2! 1800 HP, Null-element. Much like Chen, she's a fair bit stronger now that she's not being operated by someone attempting to multi-task.

For one, she can now start out the fight with Shooting Buster, as opposed to using it as a final trump card.

But the real difference comes into play with her Barrier attack - instead of one obstacle that orbits around the field, there's two, and a third one sitting on the center panel forcing you to actually dodge it.

Pictured: me on the receiving end of the attack I've been using to obliterate viruses the entire update. Is this karma, I wonder?

This is what happens when you don't say thank you.

:toot:

(I promise I do better in the actual video.)

drat right we are. :colbert:

...Also, hey, Renko came in while we were fighting! Wonder what she has to say?

: "She's been working real hard to study management now that she's president."
: "College, while acting as president... That's crazy!"

Maribel is evidently a woman of many talents.

...Either that, or CEOs don't actually do much.

: "Thanks to you, the president can do their job."
: "They will also practice their busting so this will never happen again."

Music: Internet

And with that, the Request Board is officially complete! Which is a shame, because the sidequests generally have pretty fun writing.

Last thing on our list for today: Going around and opening up all the ROM doors! Really, it's like practice for breaking into their base. Or something like that, at least.

RegUp 3 in Genso Area 2, very nice. I'm only a few away from being able to finally set FstGauge as my regular!

The next door is over in Eien Area 1, if you loop around the top section for a bit.

Score! Max HP is now 900!

This time over in Eien Area 3, we get two rewards for the price of one.

:homebrew:

I believe Auras run on a timer, because otherwise, this would completely trivialize a good chunk of viruses. Some bosses too - all of both Sakuya and Ran's attacks are Null-element, for example.

Music: Undernet

The final ROM door is over in Undernet 1. There were ROM Doors in Undernets 4, 6, and 10, but I went over them a little while back. They were, respectively, a shortcut, 50,000 zenny, and a duplicate version of the FullOpen AddOn.

And our final reward is this HPMemory, bringing our total to 920 HP!

...Which brings me to something of an awkward point, actually. I know for a fact that there's one HP memory located inside ROM's base. But... that won't bring us to 1000 HP, it'll bring us to 940. Which means we're missing three HPMemories.

There's three possible scenarios here:

A) I've somehow missed three HPMemories scattered out in the wild, hidden in potted plants or under benches or the like. This is entirely possible, but I like to think I've been somewhat meticulous during this LP? My search for funny dialogue has turned up several more than I found on my last playthrough.

B) I have missed a shop somewhere. All chip shops sell three HPMemories, so it would fit, but I can't think of any shop I've missed, and those are a fair bit harder to miss than random items are.

C) I missed them because they don't exist. This is, I think, the most likely answer. As I stated back when this LP started, the PostGame areas are unfinished. It's entirely possible that the postgame was supposed to hide the final HPMemories inside it, either as Mystery Data, or inventory for an extremely expensive merchant who was never implemented.

So, while I think C is the most likely answer... the thread has, in the past, pointed out stuff that I had no idea about. If anyone can think of any really well hidden HPMemories, I'd be grateful if you could mention them. I like having my final base HP be a round number, and it will bother me for ages if that's not actually possible.

By my calculations, I'll also be missing 2 RegUps somewhere, but that's slightly less of a priority. I only need 48mb, not all 50.

: (It feels oddly stiff. I don't think I could sit on it for very long.)
: (...It looks like something is under the bench.)

Speaking of which...

While I spent a good chunk of time checking out of the way places, I came across this in the 3rd floor of the university! This, right here? This is why I can't fully dismiss Option A as possible. They hide this stuff everywhere.

: (Maybe they were fascinated by owning everyday objects...?)
: (The numbers "59754565" are scribbled on the side next to some graffiti.)

Case in point. Press. A. On. Everything.

: (Its awkward positioning reveals the true nature of the former president.)

Because even if you don't find hidden items, sometimes you'll find incredible flavour text. Yukari's evil machinations are revealed: she thinks it's funny to make people sit in uncomfy chairs!

...Actually, that's probably the most in-character thing about her in this game. :v:

And with that, I'm calling things here. Next time, there's one final thing I need to take care of before we can properly storm ROM's base:

It's time for a Boss Rush.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 27, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like that Wriggle says she came in on an incognito flight... Because the stealth jet she flew in on is named Incognito.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Riggle Wnightbug is now Alice's bestest girlfriend.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat looks like I missed two HPMemories myself. I ended with 880.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game is great. :allears:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I was convinced it was gonna be one of the big mechas the NetAgents have, considering Reisen's is shown to have cloaking capabilities. So this whole thing with Wriggle was a huge surprise for me.

On my cleared save I ended up with 940 HP and I pressed A on/tried to jack into drat near anything, I think.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Oh hey! I dunno when this happened, but I only just now noticed this.

The thread officially went gold! :toot:
That probably doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but it sure does make me feel nice. Thanks, everyone! :shobon:

Commander Keene posted:

I like that Wriggle says she came in on an incognito flight... Because the stealth jet she flew in on is named Incognito.
Hah! I didn't even notice that, that's great. :allears:

Geemer posted:

I was convinced it was gonna be one of the big mechas the NetAgents have, considering Reisen's is shown to have cloaking capabilities. So this whole thing with Wriggle was a huge surprise for me.

On my cleared save I ended up with 940 HP and I pressed A on/tried to jack into drat near anything, I think.
Ah, dammit. If you also missed three, that's a little disheartening.

If they're really not in the game, I'm slightly tempted to add them in myself, just to make the HP counter look right in the finale.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
940 HP is also what I ended with and I didn't notice anything else unusual in the map data aside from the drill comp stuff. Postgames usually have the last bit of HP memories to serve as reward space there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're not in this game at all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

quote:

A hidden bersion chip would come from S-ranking an enemy that drops a rare chip.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blaziken386 posted:

Unrelated to the current LP, but... it turns out there's another Touhou/Battle Network crossover being worked on at the moment, "Dream Force Hartmann".

Judging by the art, it seems like it's currently in early alpha(?) but hey, count me intrigued!

As a side note, I find it kinda funny that it also uses Kedama for the Mettaur-equivalent. :v:

Bad news about this.

https://twitter.com/magialchemy/status/1393509613266341892

Shortly after its Steam page went up, it got taken down by Capcom due to copyright infringement. (Assets looked too similar to Battle Network or something like that.)

Apparently the assets might get worked on to make them look less similar?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
thank you capcom, very cool

anyways happy cirno day :toot:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Bad news about this.

Shortly after its Steam page went up, it got taken down by Capcom due to copyright infringement. (Assets looked too similar to Battle Network or something like that.)

Apparently the assets might get worked on to make them look less similar?
Yeah, Capcom sucks like that! It didn't get quite as harsh a takedown as Shanghai Genso did, but the similarities were close enough that Capcom were allowed to be Capcom about it.
...That said, I've played the demo. It's... very early alpha, let's put it that way. (don't try to change any keybinds, things break in a spectacular fashion and there's no "reset to default" option)

Faillen Angel posted:

anyways happy cirno day :toot:
Happy Cirno Day!!!

...Actually, speaking of that. It's... tangentially related to this LP, so I'll shamelessly share this drawing I posted on my twitter!

(please ignore how bad I am at writing kanji, 最強 fought me every step of the way)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

a small update - while I'm generally kinda slow on updates, this time I have a reason for it!

the reason being... my room is currently being completely remodeled, and the vast majority of my stuff is inaccessible. ...including the computer which has all the data for this LP.

Hopefully within a couple days it'll be far enough along that I can move enough furniture to be able to access it again. As it is, it's currently behind two desks, a table, part of a bed, and a speaker system. Because in my infinite wisdom, I took it out of the room first. :v:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Honestly Capcom's pretty drat chill with fan projects for the most part as long as you don't violate the core rule. Don't bring money into it. As long as you're not charging, Capcom doesn't really give a poo poo. That above fangame, yeah, putting it on Steam was a terrible idea, that's literally just Battle Network.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC they got mad at the folks developing this game too because they used actual art from the official games for some of the battle chips.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

From what I've heard, the big issue was that the dev started asking for money for it, and then the asset use was an additional problem on top of the asking for money.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC they got mad at the folks developing this game too because they used actual art from the official games for some of the battle chips.

IIRC it's not even actual art, it was original art of a certain character and his weapons from a non MMBN game.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Wasn't Dream Force Hartmann also free despite being on Steam...?

GhostKutenaiabi
Jan 30, 2022
I don't want to be rude at all, but is this thread going to continue? I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out, even though I ended up spoiling myself on the ending. As usual.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

GhostKutenaiabi posted:

I don't want to be rude at all, but is this thread going to continue? I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out, even though I ended up spoiling myself on the ending. As usual.
it will

i apologize for the long hiatus, but a combination of stress, distractions, and the next update being sort of a pain in the rear end to actually write has caused... problems. :sweatdrop:

Don't worry about being rude, the fact that people still care about the thread even after such a long break is actually kind of invigorating.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've also been eagerly awaiting the next update, but did not want to be rude and seem demanding.

I'm glad you're okay!

You are okay, right? :ohdear:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Here's another lurker chiming in to say that I was excited when I saw new posts in this thread. No need to apologize for delay - a hiatus for an LP is completely understandable given all the crap that's going on in the world.

GhostKutenaiabi
Jan 30, 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

it will

i apologize for the long hiatus, but a combination of stress, distractions, and the next update being sort of a pain in the rear end to actually write has caused... problems. :sweatdrop:

Don't worry about being rude, the fact that people still care about the thread even after such a long break is actually kind of invigorating.

It is completely fine. I'm just glad that there's going to be more coming, even if it'll be a while, and that me posting went well. I'm eager to see what comes next, whenever it comes.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Count me in as another lurker definitely wanting to see more, but it's great to hear that you're taking time seemingly more for yourself though!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll be here whenever you've got the next update ready. Doesn't cost me anything to keep the thread bookmarked, after all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GhostKutenaiabi
Jan 30, 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

Is it okay if I ask why it's being such a pain to actually write?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

This is not an empty quote, I just sincerely agree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

it will

When you say pain in the rear end to write, is this something that other people could help with? I'm passionate/deep enough into Shanghai that I could try to help.
Or is this something you'd prefer to do by yourself?