Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Grouchio posted:

I hate how all the reds and blues are all the same drat hue.

Different lightnesses and saturations though, interestingly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I always enjoy Switzerland's resolute contrarianism on all these sorts of maps

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

packetmantis posted:

I like the owl.
What do they think they are, Athens? :colbert:

quote:

The last one is cool, like, conceptually, but not as an actual flag.

I like it. Feels the most interesting of the set, though the second's not bad. Needs the linework cleaned up though, this rendering looks like a sloppy vector job.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Enjoy posted:

I hope you enjoyed this flag chat.

I did!

I wish the images were a bit higher resolution, though.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That looks like the flag of some tiny Florida municipality

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

smug n stuff posted:

I like that first column, third row is pretty blatantly copying Mississippi’s new flag, just with the Utah state flower

I was thinking the Hong Kong flag

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Randallteal posted:

It does look a little like a Google logo for a goatse-themed app. Maybe it's the divided ring that makes it look like something you could pull, uh, open.

Or some sort of solitaire rebrand of the Olympic Games.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rochallor posted:

Ah, cool. Is the owl based on something? I recognized the capitol building immediately because of its distinctiveness but it's been a while since I was out that way.

It's the symbol of Athena, and hence Athens (Greece).

Stolen city valor :argh:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I actually kinda like Coal Valley Township

Looks like it was designed by a chi

oh

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

Mountains should maybe not be symmetrical and definitely should not parallel hexagon.

How many other flags can you plot on hex-grid paper? :colbert:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

The star is Alcatraz.

Alcatraz is located well inside the territory of California. :raise:

The star is clearly the Farallones

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

…is there a way we could add old bay to the Maryland flag?

How about a Maryland flag in the shape of a crab dumping Old Bay on itself?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ddraig and Sickle?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

HopperUK posted:

I like the swirly one :colbert:

Yeah I don't get why everyone hates it :mad: It looks good and not like an obvious ripoff or take on any other flag I can think of

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

BonHair posted:

Each state flag is the name of the state in black Times New Roman on a white background. Either centered or top left with reasonable margins, I don't care as long as it's uniform

The name of the state in white Helvetica on a black background, one syllable per line, left-aligned, with an ampersand at the end of each syllable except the last.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

King Hong Kong posted:

Man, those are some weak selections. Honestly, 944, for all its flaws, is the most interesting one left even though I’m sure they’ll go with the tedious r/vexillology option of 1953 or the Credit Union logo of 2100.

What are all its flaws? I haven't really seen people explain that.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Peanut Butler posted:

u.s. state flags should all be required to be the shape of the state, we love it when stuff is shaped like the state we live in, we can't get enough of it

This is literally Maryland though. Fortunately making a flag physically shaped like the state would either be impossible or else create the saddest pennant ever

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

english (maybe also french, but i have no experience with the francophone world) does this weird thing where it preserves "correct" orthography, so it remains entirely readable in that sense, but language diverges in other ways--i wish i could find it again, but i definitely encountered some local audience indian english opinion piece that was just bizarre because it was clearly using very correct spelling and grammar, but the conventional sentence structure, word choice, and... idk, overall higher-level aspects just felt incredibly foreign. "do the needful" on steroids, essentially: you recognize all the words, but have no idea why they're being used that way

The biggest example I've encountered of this was trying to read some Communist essay or something a couple decades ago. It was all using standard English words, but it was clearly written in some sort of hyperspecialized jargon that I had no idea how to even begin to unpack.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

This was probably meant as a snarling putdown of sorts but you couldn't be more wrong. English isn't my first language and I was actually only considering monopthongs, of which e.g. RP English has 13 (and 5 have a missing short/long partner so that's the first bit where you went wrong). Like in German and Dutch, long and short vowels* have different qualities to the extent that they alter the meaning of words, and in fact L2 speakers often struggle quite a bit with getting them right. That's where that age-old Internet joke comes from about the Italian tourist who wants "sheet/poo poo in the bed" because Italian doesn't have and [ɪ/i]-distinction. Phonetic distinctions either matter or they don't, they can never matter "somewhat". For instance, Scots often replace [u] with [y] but while these are qualitatively different vowels, there the distinction doesn't matter because to English ears, [y] is an allophone of [u].

The one thing you got correct though is that I'm a stupid-rear end linguist.

*You can argue that Dutch and General American English don't actually even have true long vowels so that the qualitative distinction becomes even more important

Yeah, saying English doesn't have more than 5-or-6 vowels is just objectively wrong. Is there any language which writes the proper number of vowels phonetically? Besides the Romance languages written phonetically like Spanish that actually have 1-1 correspondence between phoneme and grapheme in Latin script, but something with a bunch of vowels on the order of English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

There is great untapped potential in incorporating optical illusions in flags.

There isn't much that I feel I need