Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Lowtax to blame for everything wrong in his life?
Absolutely
Sure
Yes
No, he's mentally incompetent and can't be held responsible for his actions
View Results

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!
SA has been having money trouble for ages, and I think we have some very good ideas across our collective BFC brains for how it could've gone differently, financially-speaking of course.

I'll start.

1) Instead of having no store whatsoever except for the very rare "CNST" items which then vanish immediately into the void, that grenade could've been on motherfucking everything. BearPope cycling jerseys sell out every season - why not SA-themed stuff?

2) Individualized gene-therapy treatments, but with mangosteen instead of real science. Besides, the science is pretty new and untested for most things, so why the gently caress not sell SA-branded Mangosteen treatments for what ails you? Radium could've put together a Web 3.0 machine-learning system that identified your core problems based on how your IOT sensors detect you reacting to a picture of tub girl, and then inevitably prescribes you 1x 16oz bottle of mangosteen, taken twice daily. Also, using the back button would make your computer explode.

3) Lowtax could have stopped beating his spouses. I hear divorces are expensive, and it probably stings a little to lose 50% of your accumulated shitposts each time.

4) What if, instead of begging goons for money every now and then when he's broke and relying on lovely ad revenue in a post-adblock internet era, the owner instead updated his prices or perhaps fixed the site to work on mobile devices prior to 2017 or so? I hear phones are all the rage now.

5) Speaking of Lowtax(es), I hear that Lowtax is fine but Notax is not. Maybe pay your taxes so you don't end up $500K in debt to the IRS (allegedly - gotta call it allegedly before I get sued for $500K by that weirdo Leonard Crabs guy).

6) Pro Subscription required to use the words "Dear" or "Richard" in your posts.

7) Has anyone mentioned not beating your spouses and girlfriends, thus alienating your entire userbase except for, ironically enough, the FYADers whose subforum was deleted? Wait, no, I think they'd actually be alienated too. They just joke about it.

Your turn, fellow biz-wizards! How could this site monetize itself better? Who the gently caress cares? The owner (allegedly) is a shitheel domestic abuser, so let the site burn IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Whatever monetization problems Lowtax has/had, he could have alleviated them by not leasing a loving higher end sports car

If SA ends up in the hands of someone who isn't a domestic violence doer (or worse) honestly I'd pay a few bucks a month if it was well moderated and the shitposty parts that leaked things like 4chan, KF, etc. were aggressively policed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's not about making money it's about cutting costs.

Lowtax should write a tell-all called "Sportscars, Spines, and Snickerdoodles".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He could've let goons pay money to kick his rear end.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

paragon1 posted:

He could've let goons pay money to kick his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3M_wGfYewo

I'm never gonna not post this.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Most of us would have paid $10/yr or more for a long rear end time now (we're all completely immune to subscription aversion at this point). Lowtax has just been a disaster for a long time and this place has persevered despite him because 10 years ago no one would pay anything for anything on the internet. Thats just not the case anymore and lowtax never adjusted. The king is dead, long live Joffrey

edit: press 1 if you've watched his podcasts occasionally or anything else over the last few years and had any thought other than "oh poo poo, he is not well". Lowtax i genuinely hope you get yourself in order one way or another, but it is obviously not going to happen here.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 3, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

greasyhands posted:

edit: press 1 if you've watched his podcasts occasionally or anything else over the last few years and had any thought other than "oh poo poo, he is not well". Lowtax i genuinely hope you get yourself in order one way or another, but it is obviously not going to happen here.

I've also thought "oh poo poo, he is not funny." :v:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I feel like there are enough crying women in hotel rooms around the world that they probably deserve their own TV channel. I'm thinking of a mix between the Hallmark Channel and Comedy Central, something to lighten up the mood a bit and get those ladies shopping again!

This is easily a billion dollar idea. This market isn't monetized at all

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
a poster came up with one weird trick, lowtax hates it:

A Premium Subscription is required to view this content!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think the most profitable thing possible for this forum is the ability to pay to have other people probated. There's such a satisfying feeling to making someone shut up. The trick is getting the rate right. Too little and the forum gets shut down, too much and no one's going to pay that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

$10 for 4 hours. Who can stay angry for longer than 4 hours?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
$4.99 to delete one of your old posts, $1.99 to edit after 2 min.

$9.99 to replace a former Lowtax post with "HEY GUYS I BEAT MY WIFE AND GIRLFRIEND."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 4, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I think the most profitable thing possible for this forum is the ability to pay to have other people probated. There's such a satisfying feeling to making someone shut up. The trick is getting the rate right. Too little and the forum gets shut down, too much and no one's going to pay that.

It should be a sliding scale benchmarked to the purchaser's frequency of posts in YOSPOS. Gotta juice the whales.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can I pay $19.99 for a moderator to go backhand Lowtax? That'd bring in a ton of revenue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Each rereg could cost a dollar more.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Pay $10 USD to probate another poster for a week. Forum slap fights would end a lot more quickly this way, which saves money on the database bills from having to host all of those walls of text.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a way to have affiliate data auto-inserted into any link? If there is, then Lowtax has left a ton of $ on the table allowing others (mainly one person) run the coupons forum for years.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a way to have affiliate data auto-inserted into any link? If there is, then Lowtax has left a ton of $ on the table allowing others (mainly one person) run the coupons forum for years.

Yes there’s a company called skimlinks that makes this software. Automatically changes any product links on your website into a affiliate link. For the traffic that this site gets, and the number of niche hobby sub forums, I’m sure it would have netted millions of dollars if implemented correctly.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I lurked for a few years before I regged in '03, and I watched the transition. The whole business model is that mods are deputized to write small fines for antisocial behavior. After he created a digital simulation of the way police make their money, it just became deeply unfun to post here. Between 2000 and the end of BTB, there was a wild, creative culture, but after the fine system, the great storytellers and artists began to trickle out.

The fine system is a cloud over the culture here, and like real life fine systems, cultural problems created by the fine system, invite ever-more elaborate rules and fines to go with. SA keeps public records, the rap sheet, to weigh fines against past behavior, like the police do. Like real life there's a whole snitch system mainly used by miserable people, to alert the mods to a potential new fine. A simulation of the way police make their money: my honest opinion is good riddance. I've eaten probations for not using capital letters, bans for arguing with mods. Like the rest of the ex-userbase: I got the message, and left.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Turn SA into an app and then turn that app into a computer virus that covertly orders cookies for forum elites. The perfect crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Mofabio posted:

I lurked for a few years before I regged in '03, and I watched the transition. The whole business model is that mods are deputized to write small fines for antisocial behavior. After he created a digital simulation of the way police make their money, it just became deeply unfun to post here. Between 2000 and the end of BTB, there was a wild, creative culture, but after the fine system, the great storytellers and artists began to trickle out.

The fine system is a cloud over the culture here, and like real life fine systems, cultural problems created by the fine system, invite ever-more elaborate rules and fines to go with. SA keeps public records, the rap sheet, to weigh fines against past behavior, like the police do. Like real life there's a whole snitch system mainly used by miserable people, to alert the mods to a potential new fine. A simulation of the way police make their money: my honest opinion is good riddance. I've eaten probations for not using capital letters, bans for arguing with mods. Like the rest of the ex-userbase: I got the message, and left.

Every complaint here is true. Somehow, this is also the best place to post, by a wide margin.