Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I used to do the same, until I hit pretty much the full capacity of both humidors and that was enough to get me to stop buying. Cutting off promotional emails from cigar sites and staying off of them was a big key as well.

The other day I gave myself my worst nicotine sickness by far. I infrequently smoke to begin with, so burning through 4-5" of a Perdomo in an hour after not eating dinner + a couple ounces of bourbon prior during Counter Strike with goons left me feeling like complete poo poo. Like heavy breathing, light headed, full body discomfort.

Eat some sugar to help take the edge off your nic-sickness. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar, so having something sugary helps to counteract that. If it's real bad I'll put a spoonful of granulated sugar under my tongue. If just sort of bad / queasy I keep those lovely popsicles that come in plastic tubes that cut your mouth on hand, haha.

If you start to excessively salivate or need to spit a lot, that's the first sign your blood sugar is dropping and is a precursor to the nausea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The Leaf by Oscar Corojo is like sucking on an old baseball not, and I love every minute of it!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah for spicy smokes! I'm a big big fan.

If I can take a sec to share some experience for folks willing to dive in to Habanos, I hope this can save some time/confusion/headache:

Global demand for Habanos exceeds production capacity. I've heard a bunch of rumors about how this impacts the nitty gritty of manufacturing, but there are a few "for sure" things that should be known:

1) Because of this demand, cigars don't get their traditional "rest" period after being wrapped. Cigars are live cultures, and this rest period is so the fermentation can continue its work. If you have a smoke that tastes like ammonia or has a super effervescent sharpness to it, it's a sign that it needs to rest. The important take-away is that if you get a box, check the code on the bottom. It'll have a date format on there, make sure it's at least 1 year old, preferably 2.

2) This demand impacts QA, if you don't have a PerfecDraw, get one. Some boxes are totally fine, some are geficht, and there's no "real" way to know until you're sucking a golfball through a crazy straw. The PerfecDraw pays for itself super quick, even on non-Habanos! Every time I grab a Habano, I make sure I have the PerfecDraw on me.

Regarding which ones to check out, I've kicked around a bunch of marcas and vitolas on a budget. There is definitely a "Cuban profile" and each marca touches it in different ways. Hay, salty/ocean air, light wood, and a mineral flavor are all parts of the terroire of Habanos. If you're balling on a budget, I have a list for you! And luckily these are in lower demand than the big popular ones so your odds of getting a decent box code are somewhat higher:

1) Por Larranaga Montecarlos: These are long, skinny, and are very much a "core" kind of Habano for me - the blend has a similar profile to H. Upmann, Montecristo, and my best recollection of Romeo y Julieta. On the milder side, creamy, and the mineral & salty flavors are very present. If you don't like lanceros or panetelas, though, skip these.

2) H. Upmann Regalias: Similar to above, these are permanent members of my humidor. If you want an entree to the marca, these are purestrain Upmann, and it'll give you an idea of what everything uplabel is. Like the PL Montes, they are creamy & mineral-y, but I remember them being a little more robust in profile.

3) Jose L. Piedra Cazadores: Don't get the smaller ones. These are mixed filler (long & short filler) and cheaper than a date with me. The filler construction also means that they burn faster than an equivalently sized long filler. With that out of the way, they punch way above their price point. Creamy, smooth, and mild they're kind of a diet Romeo y Julieta. I try to keep a 5x5 of these in my humidor because friends love smoking a Cuban, and you don't have to worry about throwing money away for a fun experience for a friend. I like these especially for not knowing what I feel like smoking because I know it'll be a good time. Use a punch if you can.

4) Ramon Allones Small Club Corona: Petite coronas have a special place in my heart, but these are worth every puff. If you want to see what the spicier side of Cubans is like without shelling out, these are a great way to start. Another member of the marca, Ramon Allones Special Select are the big brother and a ton of folks like having them in the humidor. If you overall like the direction, Partagas & Bolivar are good ones to try experimenting with. Bolivar #2s en tubos are favorites of mine.

Edit 5) Quintero y Hermano[/]: This is a great, mellow, medium body mixed filler cigar. It piques into spicier territory from puff to puff, and construction issues require a PerfecDraw, but goddamn am I enjoying the one I'm smoking this instant. Incredibly cheap, very yummy. Peanut butter, pear, wood, ocean air.

There are oodles of good ones to check out if you're willing to hit the $7+/stick range, but these guys should all be doable at $5/stick or less. There are a ton of samplers, too, that are very much worth checking out! Especially if you can find a coronas sampler, it should be a super good shot.

[b]A quick word on custom rolls:
tons of places have these and I generally regard them as fun experiments. There aren't really any good ways to determine if they are actually made in Cuba. If you're super into "Cubans" over a good cigar, just save your energy for something worth being a dork about.

I hope that's helpful! Can't wait to hear everyone's expeditions into Habanos-land.

Quoting you because of the snipe / this is good info.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it normal to spit while smoking cigars? My cigar smoking friends in college made it sound like it was the normal thing to do, but how the hell does that work when you're smoking inside? They claimed the spit contained tar and it was harmful to swallow it.

Syrian Lannister posted:

I spit when I smoke cigars too, one of the old tinderbox forum threads said it had to do with an allergen within the tobacco.

I normally smoke outside only.

quoting myself from a page back:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Eat some sugar to help take the edge off your nic-sickness. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar, so having something sugary helps to counteract that. If it's real bad I'll put a spoonful of granulated sugar under my tongue. If just sort of bad / queasy I keep those lovely popsicles that come in plastic tubes that cut your mouth on hand, haha.

If you start to excessively salivate or need to spit a lot, that's the first sign your blood sugar is dropping and is a precursor to the nausea.

Having something sugary with the cigar will curb the salvating / need to spit. Root beer and vanilla cream soda pair excellently with cigars if you are a soda drinker.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Dramatika posted:

AF Anejo are much more interesting flavorwise to me - they almost have sort of a liqueur note to them that I just have a hard time putting my finger on - almost a tobacco mixed with a brandy based liqueur? I honestly think that they have a taste I can remember but can't describe is part of allure - the Padron's are fantastic but easily described with the rich chocolate (ranging from milk to dark), espresso, with gentle pepper.

I'll have to try the Ashton ESG/VSG lines - I've had the Ashton Classic and Ashton Cabinet, and they were enjoyable, but I'm just not super into conneticut shade wrappers apparently.

The AF Anejo are aged in cognac barrels, which is where your getting the liqueur flavor from. There's nothing like experience to figure out what you like, because I hated the AF Anejo, haha. I found both the ESG/VSG lines from Ashton good. I preferred the ESG, but most seem to think the VSG is beter. I'm also a huge fan of the Symmetry line.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ophidian posted:

Most “bloom” is white mold that can simply be brushed off unless it’s invading the foot.

This is correct.

For anyone who's interested check this link out: https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/131757-foh-mould-study/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

I've got some Leaf by Oscar Corojo lanceros and some Centurion H-2K-CT toros coming tomorrow and I can't decide which one I want to smoke first.

I've only had the Corojo Toro by Oscar, but it remains one of my favorite cigars to this day. It was like sucking on an old leather baseball glove. If that sounds like your thing I'd go with the Oscar.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

I smoked one of these lanceros tonight, and it was loving spectacular.

Word! I'll have to check out the vitolas.

Smoked a Bolivar Royal Corona last night. Haven't had one of these in over a year it's definitely aging, but not sure if for the better. I've only got 2 more so I may continue to sit on them for another year or 3 and see what happens. None the less it was still a good smoke.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

Is there a way to send cigars to troops overseas or anything like that? The stuff I’m trying to get rid of is mostly junk to decent quality but I’m never going to smoke any of it. I’d rather send it somewhere where someone might appreciate it or they can throw it out.

There sure is! https://www.cigarsforwarriors.org/

I'm also in a place where I've accumulated a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't buy today. Had my first kid and wife was laid off in the past year so I've been smoking them anyway. Interesting thing is that most of them aren't great but passable, but I have found a few that have been drat good. Had a Sam Leccia El Luchador that was fantastic. I've been raging against the move from traditional broadleaf to Mexican San Andres, but maybe the San Andres just needs more time resting...IDK.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Smoked a Zino platinum Z crown chubby tonight. Got it from the Small batch cigar monthly club a while back. Not a bad smoke, but holy LOL at the price. Certainly not better than just about anything around $7.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Smoked a Monte No.2 last night, and after aging for about 3 years now still... meh. This whole box has been bland and disappointing. Not sure if I got a bad box or of the Monte just isn't for me. I've got 2 left and I think I'm going to try to forget them and come back at some random years later.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Trying to find another pipe to bring camping with me, preferably something that can sit on its own and under $100. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it! SmokingPipes.com has been very good to me so fast.

You can't beat something like this Nording for $40: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=384932

If you want something more traditional I'd probably with a Rossi or Savenelli at that price. Rossi pipes are Savenellis more affordable line, but are still pretty great quality. Most stitters are going to be found under the Poker shape: https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?sortOpt=priceDesc&displayNum=72&shape=15&price=-50%2C50%2C75%2C100&page=1

I've got a Moonshine Patriot that I love. It obviously sits perfectly well, but is still light enough to clench. However, it's going to run you about $150. The weights are listed on the site though so you can use that as a barometer if clenching matters to you at all.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ophidian posted:

I got a 10 pack of RASS from a 2016 cab in the mail today.

Goddamn they smell delicious.

I'll break out a RASS tonight in solidarity!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kiddo wouldn't participate in sleeping last evening so I just got around to this to finish out my work day:

This box was from March of 2015. When I first got these they were okay, but now that they've got some age on them they're pretty great. Someone at one time mentioned these take on a cola note at they got older and I'm totally getting that now.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Had a Herrera Esteli Inktome last night by the fire pit while watching my Redlegs beat up in the White Sox on the laptop. The weather here was absolutely perfect.

The venn diagram of awesome was in in full overlap!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I was absolutely certain that label art was a woman on a jet ski. A matador makes much more sense.

Haha, I can see that!

Had a Espinosa Laranja Reserva last night which was my last of a fiver. Very interesting cigar that I absolutely think is worth trying, but not sure I'd buy more. They're also sneaky strong.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Happy birthday ya filthy animals!!!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Y'all every smoke any La Duenas? They're a MF line and have gotten some nonspecific positive reviews in my circle, but I never found any specifics. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Very solid medium body smoke. Everything MF makes is decent imo. Worth picking up a couple for sure.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've not had the lancero, but the LBO corojos I've had have been fantastic.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I once heard humidity swings are 1 degree a week. I have zero idea if that's true, but I've used that for resting my sticks and haven't had any major trouble. YMMV.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I would agree that Drew Estate is overrated / overpriced in general, but I absolutely love the standard Herrera Esteli; particularly the lonsdale.

If anyone is a soda drinker, they go fantastically with cream soda.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

They had all the Surrogates and a bunch of L’Atelier, Foundation, Black Label Trading Company, and I’m sure others I didn’t see. drat you cigars, you win again. One day I’ll set a budget and stick to it.

If you didn't know L’Atelier is a Pete Johnson brand, and are super good!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'd add that I personally love the Royal Coronas, but I haven't had a bad Bolivar. They're probably my favorite Cuban brand if taken as a whole.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Both the standard My Father and the Le Bijou are absolute rear end kickers. I love both sticks, but the nicotine kick on them is very high. They're one of the few sticks that leave me feeling queasy even after a large meal.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

This is just a small sampling of my watch list but you can see everything I circled wouldn’t show up if you just searched for Warped, Foundation, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, or Crowned Heads. In fact, if you search for Foundation or Dunbarton you actually don’t get any results but if you search for their individual cigars they’ve pretty much got all of their production cigars.

This is incredibly dangerous information. Thanks!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Because lists and recommendations are fun! My absolute favorite regular smoke is the Roma Craft Aquitaine Mode 5. Straight up chocolate chip cookie in a cigar.

The rest in no particular order:
  • Leaf by Oscar Corojo Toro
  • Herrera Esteli Lonsdale
  • Regius Exclusivo U.S.A. Toro Extra
  • Illusione Singularé Miserere
  • Illusione ECCJ 20th Corona Gorda
  • Davidoff Winston Churchill Belicoso
  • Ashton Symmetry Prism
That's a pretty solid list of mostly medium strength/body smokes which generally feature baking spices, leather, cream, and pepper which are sort my go to flavors.

On the heavier side:
  • Illusione Ultra OP No. 9
  • Dunbarton Todos Las Dias Double Wide Belicoso (only had one of these, but it was incredible. I need to try more).
  • My Father Le Bijou 1922 Grand Robusto
  • Padron 1926 #9 Natural
And on the Cuban front:
  • Anything Bolivar - for leather / earth / salt
  • Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2 - for a dessert cigar
  • H. Uppman Royal Robusto - my one cigar to rule them all

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Greetings pipe goons! I'm moving, and cleaning out in the process. I've got a pile of tobacco and some pipes and a stand I'm looking to rehome.

All of the tobacco has been jarred since March of 2015. It's all labeled except for the short squat jar, which I believe is overflow of Dunhill Nightcap, but may be mistaken.

I initially bought all the pipes / stand as a bundle at an antique mall, and I'd bet only one or two of the pipes is salvageable but I'll send them along with the stand.

If anyone is interested in any or all please PM me. I'm only asking you to cover shipping. Pics are below.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Stalizard posted:

what's a good blend that's heavy on Latakia?

Also do you guys have any recos on pipes? I've got a couple of mid range estates, but I finally make enough that I can entertain the thought of treating myself to something nice that wasn't smoked by a dead guy

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ has an incredibly robust search tool for finding blends. If you create an account (it's free) you can save them to your profile as well.

Also, search for Jiminks (https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/Search?ReviewedBy=Jiminks) and you get a very comprehensive list of reviews from the most prolific pipe tobacco reviewer around (super nice and very knowledgeable dude who was on another forum I frequented).

The aforementioned smokingpipes.com is the best place I've found to just browse pipes (not the cheapest place to buy them though).

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I have a Moonshine and a Neerup that I adore and both were sub $150. Also, love Stanwell, but they seem harder to find if you're in the US.

Edit: if you're into Danish styles Nording makes great stuff too.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

In additioned to what's been mentioned, pay attention to how much your mouth is watering. Excessive saliva / feeling like you need to spit is a sure precursor to the nicotine blues. If you notice this stop, have some sugar and resume or just stop.

Drinking a sugary beverage while smoking helps too, unless like me you're hypoglycemic, which in that case just pay attention to your mouth moisture, haha.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I stopped by the local B&M to pick up some sticks for Fathers Day, and grabbed a Padron 1926 Natural for myself to celebrate a random Sunday, haha. First stick I've had in about a month and it was wonderful.

Edit: Sweet pipe write up. Could use a shape chart.jpg, but otherwise :chefkiss:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 14, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

As a primarily cigar guy, Billy Budd remains one of my favorite pipe tobaccos. Only bad thing about it is it's one of the few the wife complains about. Some others I found I liked were

Mac Baren HH Burley Flake - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11576/mac-baren-hh-burley-flake
C&D Haunted Bookshop - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1572/cornell-diehl-haunted-bookshop
Peterson Irish Flake - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2698/peterson-irish-flake

I found the more pipe tobacco I tried the more I realized I shouldn't be trying to find a cigar replacement, but just something different. I eventually fell down the VaPer rabbit hole and have been really happy with that. Give me all the plum, haha.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

It took me a while to come around to the grass / hay of virginias, but if you go that route they're not too strong. The added spice and fruit of the perique really helped me transition away from latakia and burley based stuff.

Escudo Navy Deluxe is my favorite VaPer. Might give that a go and see if it suits you. Orlik Golden sliced is super popular as well, but I didn't like it as much for whatever reason.

Escudo - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/6/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-escudo-navy-de-luxe

Orlik Golden - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/828/orlik-tobacco-company-a-s-golden-sliced-red-tin

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Couldn't remember the flavor profile, bit I remember I loved the Tatuaje Black Label corona gorda. Picked one up and it was leather for days. They're absolutely box worthy if you like sucking on an old basemall mitt!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ophidian posted:

Anyone have a preferred vcutter they use?

Looking to get a few things for my trip next week and that’s on the list.

I'll add another vote for the Xikar. Also, their warranty is still good I'd personally not bother with anything else at a similar price point.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

On the perfecto note. Romacraft Aquitane Mode 5s are wonderful and taste like chocolate chip cookies.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

My big thing with Romacraft is that most of their sticks are very samey if you go for the heavy broadleafed stuff. I love the Aquitane and Intemperance lines in general.

Not sure why you'd be getting such bad burns out of the Mode 5.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Had a San Cristobal La Fuerza last night. They've really come into their own with some age. Mostly just salt and a bread like flavor that reminds me of a ball park pretzel.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gramps posted:

I have recently recommended this stuff to goons in the discord to unanimous agreement that the poo poo is straight magic. Buy some.

https://smartmouth.com/

but does it cause oral cancer. :clint:

Seriously though, I'll give this a shot. Nothing like brushing your teeth only to wake up tasting last nights cigar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Illusione is one of my favorite overall brands, and I'd say the most notable thing about them is their complexity. Also, I love the Epernay, so I may not be the best palate to go by, but that being said...

OP Ultra No. 9 - Chocolate and tobacco. Sort of akin to a Oliva Serie V. Sort of Padronish in that it's not super complex, but it's great from beginning to end.

Illusione Cruzado Elitas - Like a fastball right down the middle. Mostly tobacco and chololate chips. Great every day cigar, but sneakily strong.

ECCJ 20th Churchill - Medium - mild in strength. Very complex. Creamy with lots of backing spices and wood / cedar. Retrohale a bunch and drink water only with it imo. The wrapper on these is pretty thin so if you like your cigars dryer than 70 it might crack on you.

The Holy Lance - It's a lancero, and I honestly can't remember much about other than loving the 3 or so I had. IDK why I never bought more and now probably will. Thanks!

The MK 12 Natural - Very complex, lots of pepper and nuts. Big at 6x56.

I've also heard the Haut 10 was great, but the price tag on that scared me off it.