Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hadlock posted:

What do you call the grade of steel Huffy uses

Iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Pretty sure you have to make a bike out of at least basic high tensile steel because mild is guaranteed to fatigue and crack, but I don't know jack about poo poo, if anyone knows more I'd love to read it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-Trail-Runner-Women-s-Full-Suspension-Mountain-Bike-Ages-12-Years-Black/398692275

Under more details this says the package weight is 42.5 lbs

Even assuming all the packaging weighs 10 lbs (no way) that's still a 32 lb bicycle I would imagine the wall thickness is nothing like the tube sets made by Reynolds or Columbus

Given that a groupset can only weigh so much id guess every pound over ~28 lbs is going into tube wall thickness, and to some extent the wheels. My buddy's motobecane came with ludicrously heavy aluminum rims

With thick though tube wall you can use pretty low grade steel, I'd suspect. I didn't know for sure though

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 4, 2024

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

But the thin tube bikes can barely hold their user. Like 200lbs weight limit which I already max out, then add clothes, water, gear etc..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here is the venerable flying pigeon. It's said to weigh 50lbs and I've yet to see anyone challenge that but I've never held one in my hands

Not sure what the average weight of a Chinese adult was in 1949 but probably 10% less than the 2015 weight of 143#

Beijing and Shanghai downtown areas are pool table flat so maybe weight isn't that important. I would imagine some of the weight comes from the poor quality steel they were (probably) producing domestically at the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hadlock posted:

Beijing and Shanghai downtown areas are pool table flat so maybe weight isn't that important.

Some people chose to bring the bikes up to their apartment floor instead of leaving it in the shade bike garage. Then you really notice the weight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

What do you call the grade of steel Huffy uses

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Some people chose to bring the bikes up to their apartment floor instead of leaving it in the shade bike garage. Then you really notice the weight.

From what I understand, as a white guy who's only spent about 8 hours on the ground there, up until '89 most of central Beijing was single story multi family compounds. Apartments existed but nowhere near the numbers they have today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutong

I guess in the lead up to the Beijing Olympics they demolished most of them to build high rises, to the point that the remaining ones are considered historical cultural artifacts

Shanghai and Hong Kong were always way more cosmopolitan

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Here is the venerable flying pigeon. It's said to weigh 50lbs and I've yet to see anyone challenge that but I've never held one in my hands

Not sure what the average weight of a Chinese adult was in 1949 but probably 10% less than the 2015 weight of 143#

Beijing and Shanghai downtown areas are pool table flat so maybe weight isn't that important. I would imagine some of the weight comes from the poor quality steel they were (probably) producing domestically at the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon

Ppft, my Peugeot with front & rear racks, pump, pedals, bottle cages etc. weigh 15,6kg. So around 34-35lbs? That's light weight..

Original setup was under 13kg but heavy modern parts like longer seatpost, saddle, heavier pedals, heavier stem & handlebars, heavier shifters, heavier drivetrain etc. increased the weight noticeably.

Also if me+bike+gear weigh 120-130kg it doesn't matter too much if the bike is 15 or 10kg.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Butted!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Fun change of pace, took two newish-to-bikes friends on a long ride.

The ~10k at both ends was me solo.

Bikes good.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why world is full of bicycles, but buying a bicycle is so god drat hard?

https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2019_marrakesh_frameset

Marrakesh would be probably serviceable. Only problem is the rear rack, but maybe something can be arranged with it. All silver parts with a black frame could look OK.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ihmemies posted:

Why world is full of bicycles, but buying a bicycle is so god drat hard?
I was bitching at a LBS shop a while back, that what (I at least) would love is frame+groupset options. Leave wheels/tires/cassette/seat/pedals to the buyer, but build the frame and groupset, steerer, etc so you just add the final pieces. But those final pieces are high margins, so nobody would want to sell that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

From what I understand, as a white guy who's only spent about 8 hours on the ground there, up until '89 most of central Beijing was single story multi family compounds. Apartments existed but nowhere near the numbers they have today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutong

I guess in the lead up to the Beijing Olympics they demolished most of them to build high rises, to the point that the remaining ones are considered historical cultural artifacts

I grew up there. Left in 89 and came back for various family affairs a couple times. My own apartment complex growing up on the outskirts (now comfortably part of the inner part) was 3 floors, and they demolished after 95 for a 7 floor, and that was replaced some time before 2010 with a 20 story unit.

Hutongs are certainly relics in central Beijing, but even by the late 80s, plenty of people lived in multi story buildings.

e: Beijing (and modern Chinese culture in general) has gotten increasingly and insanely carbrained, but English roadster type bikes still roam the avenues in large numbers.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 4, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That is very cool to hear about Beijing, thanks for sharing

Ihmemies posted:

Ppft, my Peugeot with front & rear racks, pump, pedals, bottle cages etc. weigh 15,6kg. So around 34-35lbs? That's light weight..

Original setup was under 13kg but heavy modern parts like longer seatpost, saddle, heavier pedals, heavier stem & handlebars, heavier shifters, heavier drivetrain etc. increased the weight noticeably.

Yeah when I lived in Dallas I had two primary bikes, a lithe 19 lb vintage premium road race bike for zipping around the lake + sunny commuting, and a late 60s/early 70s French made motobecane that could hold two paper grocery sacks and "cascadia" fenders for wet weather use (also managed to retrofit Shimano 600 tricolor crank and sora 8 speed cassette and brifters) it clocked in somewhere north of 32 lbs. I think stock it was like 24-25lbs

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So on my ride today--my first 41.2-mile ride of the year, in fact*--I thought of this thread. Folks were talking about tubeless, something I'm not going to do because it's a lot of work, and since I don't get flats regularly, it's not solving any problem for me. Anyway, I was thinking, why doesn't everyone just use tubes? Well, for the good reasons y'all tubeless folks frequently preach about, but what if it became trendy to use tubes? Cyclists, I have found in my short time as one, tend to be pretty susceptible to trends. Then, I thought of a dumb thread title.

Bicycle Megathread 5: You Will Run Tubes. Resistance is Butyl.

You know, because butyl tubes adds 4,000 megawatts of rolling resistance, even when the bike is sitting still.

I know it's dumb, but these are the things that sometimes pop up in my head while I'm going down the trail, which is what I did today. Yes sir, my 41.2 mile ride today was monumental.

Special thanks to the nice man who got way down low to get this picture. The wide angle lens was necessary because the Arch is huge and we could not back up any further without jumping into the river, and I think it made this picture look really good.

* I've done longer rides this year, even a metric century. But this is the first one that was exactly that length.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Folks were talking about tubeless, something I'm not going to do because it's a lot of work,

That's the thing, it's really not that much work. I'm still using the original tape on the Giant bikes i bought in February of 2020

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052

Buy yourself something like that and tubeless is easy as pie. My current dilemma is whether keeping tubes in my touring bike wheels is worth it right now or if I should just go tubeless. I'll be mostly touring in the eastern US so I can't imagine I'll ever end up in a situation where I shred a tire and don't have a bike shop nearby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

After three different sob stories the owners wife has agreed to sell it to me instead of some other guy

Retrogrouch bike shopping is getting alarmingly cutthroat in the bay area

New Bike Day! :dance:

Needs some paint, but I was amazed to find out the entire frame is chrome plated. A couple dings that got through the chrome plating but otherwise it's in very good shape

Kind of tempted to throw Di2 on there, since it's got downtube shifters there's no way to route shifter cable to the rear, and it just has regular brakes, no brifters. Also needs the wheels trued soon. Not scraping on the brakes when they're in the closed position but it annoys me and it's a "new to me" bike. Haven't weighed it yet deffo feels like 20lbs or less.

I have the official Dura-Ace brake levers in a bag as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Kind of tempted to throw Di2 on there, since it's got downtube shifters there's no way to route shifter cable to the rear

You can get cable stops that mount on the DT studs.
https://velo-orange.com/products/downtube-cable-stops-w-adjuster

Was your Di2 plan to run the shifter wires internally? E: oh, the latest generation, of course.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hadlock posted:

Needs some paint, but I was amazed to find out the entire frame is chrome plated. A couple dings that got through the chrome plating but otherwise it's in very good shape

Kind of tempted to throw Di2 on there, since it's got downtube shifters there's no way to route shifter cable to the rear, and it just has regular brakes, no brifters. Also needs the wheels trued soon. Not scraping on the brakes when they're in the closed position but it annoys me and it's a "new to me" bike. Haven't weighed it yet deffo feels like 20lbs or less.

I have the official Dura-Ace brake levers in a bag as well.

This is fully sick. The downtube shifters are badass just fyi.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Needs some paint, but I was amazed to find out the entire frame is chrome plated.
Amazing. I am hugely envious, ride the gently caress out of that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I need to figure out who will reprogram the di2 wireless to do 9 speed, if that's even possible. I've heard it will sort of auto adjust based on spacing but I dunno if it's smart enough to decide 9-10-11 SPD. Right now it's got an 8spd cassette out back. Presumably it's 130mm rear hub

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tarlibone posted:

So on my ride today--my first 41.2-mile ride of the year, in fact*--I thought of this thread. Folks were talking about tubeless, something I'm not going to do because it's a lot of work, and since I don't get flats regularly, it's not solving any problem for me. Anyway, I was thinking, why doesn't everyone just use tubes? Well, for the good reasons y'all tubeless folks frequently preach about, but what if it became trendy to use tubes? Cyclists, I have found in my short time as one, tend to be pretty susceptible to trends. Then, I thought of a dumb thread title.

Bicycle Megathread 5: You Will Run Tubes. Resistance is Butyl.

You know, because butyl tubes adds 4,000 megawatts of rolling resistance, even when the bike is sitting still.

I know it's dumb, but these are the things that sometimes pop up in my head while I'm going down the trail, which is what I did today. Yes sir, my 41.2 mile ride today was monumental.

Special thanks to the nice man who got way down low to get this picture. The wide angle lens was necessary because the Arch is huge and we could not back up any further without jumping into the river, and I think it made this picture look really good.

* I've done longer rides this year, even a metric century. But this is the first one that was exactly that length.

Tubeless being "work" = skill issue.

I'd wager even those of us who race at a fairly high level don't run tubeless because of the Crr gains. I run tubeless because if I flat in a road race, that's pretty much race done. Almost all of my training is done via fast no-wait group rides. If I flat on one of those, that ruins my mood for the day. If I have to swap tubes in the cold, wet, dark, that sucks too. If I have to bin a tire after 1200 miles because tubes start puncturing all the time, that blows. I can wear my delicate tubeless race tires all the way down to the casing fairly consistently. My last rear-mounted GP5K S TR lasted 4800 miles, which is friggin' fantastic for the kind of tire it is.

Puncture rates are a product of many variables... the roads here are poo poo and my rides average 24-26mph while my races typically average 26-29 mph. That combination of higher energy plus potholes, glass, goatheads, etc = more punctures.

Those of us running tubeless are only ever going to revert to tubes when it makes sense to (short commutes in work clothes, backup-backup wheels, etc.) and not in some hypothetical scenario where tubes become trendy somehow.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's the thing, it's really not that much work. I'm still using the original tape on the Giant bikes i bought in February of 2020

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052

Buy yourself something like that and tubeless is easy as pie. My current dilemma is whether keeping tubes in my touring bike wheels is worth it right now or if I should just go tubeless. I'll be mostly touring in the eastern US so I can't imagine I'll ever end up in a situation where I shred a tire and don't have a bike shop nearby.

I rarely break out the AirShot bottle, let alone the air compressor.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 5, 2024

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
LMAO tubeless is great gtfo. On my morning ride today I picked a fricking staple out of my tire at a stoplight and you know what I didn't have to do? Change a tube.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Tubeless being "work" = skill issue.

tubeless owns, orange seal for life

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

tarlibone posted:

Cyclists, I have found in my short time as one, tend to be pretty susceptible to trends.

that's less "cyclists" and more "whales who buy lots of new bikes" but yeah, i am 100% convinced that at some point in my lifetime the OEMs will decide that 26" is the hot new bike for the discerning serious cyclist who wants to do things right. with the angle being something about weight or gear-inches or whatever

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reduced gyroscopic forces + a bigger tyre profile means you too can corner like vingegaard

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 5, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the world's existing stock of wheels and frames will have to shrink a lot more than it has, but if fuckin steel 650b frames can come roaring back there isn't much i'd put past the industry

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
To be clear, I'm not saying tubeless is dumb. I've seen many good arguments for it, and if performance is your thing (i.e., you're a competitor), then it's pretty much mandatory.

But, for folks like me who are slow (maybe 17 MPH average?) and have literally never had a puncture after thousands of miles of riding because my routes aren't hard on tires and even when they are, they're not so bad that choosing the right line keeps the nails and thorns out of the tires? Well... it solves no problems, costs more money, forces me to choose tires and/or rims based on which rims and/or tires I have, and gives me meaningless performance improvements that I cannot ever possibly realize, much less care about.

I'm 100% convinced that tubeless is better than my butyl-tube-using method.

It's just that my method works fine and is cheap, and also it doesn't force me to do anything special. Shrug emoji. Hashtag, I hate hash tags. Call it a pound sign.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

osker posted:

LMAO tubeless is great gtfo. On my morning ride today I picked a fricking staple out of my tire at a stoplight and you know what I didn't have to do? Change a tube.

I particularly like it when I notice there's several different pieces of radial wire in tires I've just removed.

Or oh while is my bike making a clicking noise even when I coast? Oh there's a machine screw in my tire and my tire isn't losing any air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Got back on my road bike for the first time in years and busted out 8mi easy. I wanted to do another 8-10mi later in the week but wow I forgot how much your rear end hurts after not cycling for so long. Bikes are so cool.