Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finally read As Yet Unsent:

Who is the unnamed lyctor that heals Judith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

mewse posted:

Finally read As Yet Unsent:

Who is the unnamed lyctor that heals Judith?

Mercymorn. Focus on anatomy, and completely unwilling to mask 10,000 years of anxiety-ramped neurosis.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Agaragon posted:

Mercymorn. Focus on anatomy, and completely unwilling to mask 10,000 years of anxiety-ramped neurosis.

Oh, ok, I thought As Yet Unsent took place after the events of Harrow so I was confused.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mewse posted:

Oh, ok, I thought As Yet Unsent took place after the events of Harrow so I was confused.

Nah it's during.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Trawling the pre-Nona pages of this thread for fanart and I think this one is my favorite.

E: this was also very good but I can't remember who posted it first, thank you to whoever that was
https://youtu.be/pvJOuUJNcx8

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 30, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On AT LEAST my third reread of the series as it stands, and I continue to be astonished. Alecto is now showing as October ‘25, so I’m hoping that like Nona a giant hunk gets spun out into another book.

Also, this makes me cry every goddamn time:

https://youtu.be/58wcEfJuwQg?si=gx1lre13FL6YimSS

mewse
May 2, 2006

this instagram account is posting insanely cool TLT artwork:

https://www.instagram.com/naomistares

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

mewse posted:

That is a pro-follow :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mewse posted:

Oh dang they got some cool sketch. Fear and Hunger 2, what a weird crossover interest with the Locked Tomb.

...well, maybe not that weird.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

gently caress.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

im permabanned poster skeletonstomper99. i first started reading necromancy forums when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "lyctorhood" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "one flesh one end" and "his fingers and gestures" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "boomer" style of emperor worship was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the nine houses to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 7, 2024

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mad Hamish posted:

gently caress.

I'm not sure if I know the reference...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

C-Euro posted:

im permabanned poster skeletonstomper99. i first started reading necromancy forums when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "lyctorhood" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "one flesh one end" and "his fingers and gestures" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "boomer" style of emperor worship was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the nine houses to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.
The weird thing is you still don’t get the nine houses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Remulak posted:

The weird thing is you still don’t get the nine houses.

I'm taking a break before I read Nona so you're probably right :v: The joke came to me in a moment of inspiration though, and I had to get it out while it was still fresh.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

C-Euro posted:

ALSO gently caress

silvergoose posted:

I'm not sure if I know the reference...

It's a mockery of the opening lines of the ironically popular and extremely bad and badly-written Harry Potter fanfic My Immortal.

I'm just imagining John flying in on a broom made of bones and smoking a black gothic cigar and low-key losing my poo poo over here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

ALSO gently caress

It's a mockery of the opening lines of the ironically popular and extremely bad and badly-written Harry Potter fanfic My Immortal.

I'm just imagining John flying in on a broom made of bones and smoking a black gothic cigar and low-key losing my poo poo over here.

Ahhh, okay. I only know the weird rear end rationality one in that particular genre.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Ahhh, okay. I only know the weird rear end rationality one in that particular genre.

Hartowhark Nonagesimus and the Methods of Rationality.

poo poo, wait, that already exists in-universe and it's Palamedes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Palamedes is probably the most empathetic character in the series, so that seems unfair. Honestly, Harrowhark probably does deserve the Methods of Rationality label insofar as she spent the entire Canaan House debacle shooting herself in the foot trying to do the cold, hard, rational thing:
  • steadfastly refusing to engage in diplomacy or relationship-building
  • sabotaging Gideon's swordplay over poo poo it turned out nobody else cared about
  • constantly wandering into dangerous situations without her bodyguard
  • managing to convince even Gideon that she was evil, which is kind of ironic because her entire life has been dedicated to trying to do the right thing

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I think perhaps some of Harrow's problems in Canaan House could be because she has basically no social education whatsoever and doesn't know what to do around people who are her social equals (ie, not 'below' her station) and are not ambulatory skeletons.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

C-Euro posted:

I'm taking a break before I read Nona so you're probably right :v: The joke came to me in a moment of inspiration though, and I had to get it out while it was still fresh.

It was a great joke and my response was (iirc) was the first response in FYAD. It wasn’t greatest response in the world, it was a tribute.

Edit: How does this one set of books reach into my cranium and fascinate me so? There are so many great books in the world, but nothing has ever captivated me like this. And I’m an old cishetrogenexwhitedude, not exactly the target demo!

I don’t know where I read this first, but wow it’s the first time a fancasting turned into my mental image of a character:

Remulak fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 11, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Remulak posted:

It was a great joke and my response was (iirc) was the first response in FYAD. It wasn’t greatest response in the world, it was a tribute.

Edit: How does this one set of books reach into my cranium and fascinate me so? There are so many great books in the world, but nothing has ever captivated me like this. And I’m an old cishetrogenexwhitedude, not exactly the target demo!

I don’t know where I read this first, but wow it’s the first time a fancasting turned into my mental image of a character:

It's just really good, maybe because none of it is trying to be something someone would like it's just what she likes

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's just really good, maybe because none of it is trying to be something someone would like it's just what she likes

The books are so good because the author is super talented and loves the world and its characters deeply.
A lot of the people in the story are objectively terrible, but they're written in such a fun way that you can't help but love them.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Hey y'all, finished catching up with the thread after wrapping up Nona mid last year - what a hilarious and frankly enlightening catch-up process. I'm planning on doing a reread of the first three when Alecto comes out, and getting some interpretations and synopses of the prior three books has really helped prep my frame of mind for the reread.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Remulak posted:

Oh lol I didn't know about that part, thanks.

Remulak posted:

They're fun books and author is way way into them, OP. One thing I've noticed that Muir did well in the first two books, compared to some other popular fantasy that I may or may not current be reading, is that there are both just enough Proper Nouns to keep track of them all, AND they all feel distinct enough that keeping track of who's who/what's what isn't a chore. Everyone and everything has enough personality to keep them all distinct, even if the personality is sometime "is boring/a hater/a wet blanket".

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

C-Euro posted:

They're fun books and author is way way into them, OP. One thing I've noticed that Muir did well in the first two books, compared to some other popular fantasy that I may or may not current be reading, is that there are both just enough Proper Nouns to keep track of them all, AND they all feel distinct enough that keeping track of who's who/what's what isn't a chore. Everyone and everything has enough personality to keep them all distinct, even if the personality is sometime "is boring/a hater/a wet blanket".

Didn't realize it until you said it, but this is so true! I often have trouble keeping track of character names in series with lots of them and default to just "the annoying one" or whatever, but somehow Muir managed to get me to remember names beyond just personalities to a much higher degree... I'd say it was a product of the numbering-naming, but I actually remembered first names not just the number-based names!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It also helps that all the names mean something, which the author helpfully explains at the end, like "Protesilaus" meaning "Redshirt Firstdead".

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Also a lot of the characters are basically always paired up with eachother by house so its much fewer discrete character units to keep track of than youd otherwise have. Like Jeannemary and Isaac are two distinct characters but they're basically always together, same for the Second, same for the Eighth, etc. It leads to a much smaller nodes-and-edges relationship map than one would expect for nearly twenty characters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

celadon posted:

Also a lot of the characters are basically always paired up with eachother by house so its much fewer discrete character units to keep track of than youd otherwise have. Like Jeannemary and Isaac are two distinct characters but they're basically always together, same for the Second, same for the Eighth, etc. It leads to a much smaller nodes-and-edges relationship map than one would expect for nearly twenty characters.

Massive slam on the salt and pepper priest out of nowhere

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Got my hands on a previz for an upcoming pitch from a pretty big director, scene is Harrow convincing Gideon not to get on the shuttle quite yet:
Dammit why can’t I do a spoiler on video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g7pwMtNZmg&t=57s

Remulak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 18, 2024

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

holy hell this is a well made rendition of this scene in nona

https://twitter.com/sunfloowerlatte/status/1753473563011473484

mewse
May 2, 2006

i’m gonna make the god emperor of :actually: posts but they’re described in the book as both sitting on the crossbar and leaning towards each other

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also that crossbar would only exist if there was some signage or something hanging from it! Walk signals at least, jeez :colbert:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Tamsyn did a queer fantasy panel in London today. She's still plugging away on Alecto (which is further confirmed by the fact that Alecto is not on the list of Carl or Tor's 2024 releases :eng99:)

but in other news

https://x.com/kabriya/status/1753576150155083835?s=20

https://x.com/onefleshonepod/status/1753576482675241356?s=20

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I did a Jod costume at Magfest and got one "gently caress you John Gaius" yelled at me from across the hallway by an unknown assailant. There were two Harrows, a Gideon, and a surprisingly good Isaac around.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

M_Gargantua posted:

I did a Jod costume at Magfest and got one "gently caress you John Gaius" yelled at me from across the hallway by an unknown assailant. There were two Harrows, a Gideon, and a surprisingly good Isaac around.

Masterful job on the costume, then!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

You should have replied "What do I know, I'm only God" and eaten peanuts insouciantly

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kesper North posted:

You should have replied "What do I know, I'm only God" and eaten peanuts insouciantly

He did that one time

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you have pics? I didn't get good shots of any of the cosplay at Magfest because I was too busy gawping. As one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

How the hell do you put together a Jod fit that is actually recognizable as such?!?