Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got an ebook copy of Gideon through a Tor.com mailing list a year or two ago and have only just gotten around to reading it while on vacation for US Thanksgiving, and this book whips rear end. Finished Act 3 last night and have half a mind to just roll immediately into the next book when I'm done even though I have so much other stuff to read on my Kindle. How easy would it be to pick up with book 2 if I take a break after book 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a long trip coming up next month so maybe I'll scoop up a copy of Harrow to have on-hand in case the mood strikes me, thanks y'all.

And yeah this book is rad, I'm way into these manic pixie goth girls and their off-brand WH40k-rear end lives. My family keeps asking me what I'm reading and I'm struggling to come up with the right way to describe it, heh :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fell off my first read of GtN after getting back from Thanksgiving, powered through the rest of it over the past couple of days and I am eager to read more about these gay space wizards and their exploits. I feel like there's something very weird going on here!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

3 Action Economist posted:

They were roommates!

Cousins, at least in the English dub :eng101: Also boy they really floored it for that last 20% or so of the book.

I think I have clocked the framing conceit of Harrow just from the couple of preview chapters that were at the end of Gideon, but yes I will have to remember to buy it before my trip.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol this mfer's name is Donald Sex, what a dork. Neat side story though.

E: I have zero Photoshop skills so pretend that I pasted the Sixth House skull over this NY Post cover

E2: And edit "Juno" in over Marla

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 12, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Started the first few chapters of Harrow, and there is something weird going on here.

Also I am reading on a Kindle, and there's some weird formatting around the last line of Chapter 4 and on a section break line in the same chapter, something about a highlighter. Is this a Kindle-specific goof or does it appear differently in the print version?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

There *is* intentionally weird formatting throughout the book but I'm not sure about the end of chapter 4. My print copies are at home but this is the end of ch4 from an ebook copy:

Oops wrong chapter on my part, Chapter 3 has these-

silvergoose posted:

If you write out your thoughts about what the weird thing is, you can go back to it once you finish the book and marvel at how right you were!

Way-too-early (and potentially mutually exclusive) called shots:

1. This book is about Harrow processing her grief around Gideon's death ("death"?). Denial being the first stage, these early chapters involve imagining that Ortus died in GtN instead of Gideon.

2. The bits that are in second person are either contents of some of Harrow's letters, or Gideon's spirit narrating events as they unfold. Or maybe the Body? Our girl Harrow's got some problems.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh lol, can you tell that this is the first ebook I've actually purchased? High praise, at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
HtN Act 2: Oh my God is this a loving isekai lmao?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well that's maybe not the right term, but I get the feeling (HtN, about a third of the way through) our boy John was a regular dude who found the secret to space necromancy on Earth, and eventually got in way too deep in over his head.

Also Ortus the First is definitely Gideon the First, but Harrow Ctrl+H'd so hard it seeped into the present day. This book is a trip but a super-interesting trip given the fairly straight putt that was GtN.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finished Act 3 of Harrow just now and whew lawd. Never dine with your co-workers I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

A delicious bone broth

First bone broth, then boner broth :wiggle:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Harrow mid-Act 5: aaaaaaaa, also all of my predictions are broadly being confirmed, also aaaaaaaa.

Haven't felt compelled to tear through a book this hard in a while, not even with Gideon. I even read a chapter in the car earlier today, despite getting debilitating motion sickness if I do anything in a car besides stare out a window.

E: finished. What the gently caress did I just read.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 29, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Trawling the pre-Nona pages of this thread for fanart and I think this one is my favorite.

E: this was also very good but I can't remember who posted it first, thank you to whoever that was
https://youtu.be/pvJOuUJNcx8

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 30, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

im permabanned poster skeletonstomper99. i first started reading necromancy forums when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "lyctorhood" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "one flesh one end" and "his fingers and gestures" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "boomer" style of emperor worship was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the nine houses to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 7, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Remulak posted:

The weird thing is you still don’t get the nine houses.

I'm taking a break before I read Nona so you're probably right :v: The joke came to me in a moment of inspiration though, and I had to get it out while it was still fresh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Remulak posted:

It was a great joke and my response was (iirc) was the first response in FYAD. It wasn’t greatest response in the world, it was a tribute.

Oh lol I didn't know about that part, thanks.

Remulak posted:

Edit: How does this one set of books reach into my cranium and fascinate me so? There are so many great books in the world, but nothing has ever captivated me like this. And I’m an old cishetrogenexwhitedude, not exactly the target demo!

They're fun books and author is way way into them, OP. One thing I've noticed that Muir did well in the first two books, compared to some other popular fantasy that I may or may not current be reading, is that there are both just enough Proper Nouns to keep track of them all, AND they all feel distinct enough that keeping track of who's who/what's what isn't a chore. Everyone and everything has enough personality to keep them all distinct, even if the personality is sometime "is boring/a hater/a wet blanket".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Reclaimer posted:

Bit by bit we'll be able to piece together a whole comic eventually

https://twitter.com/naomistares/status/1759636423433474371

That first page is very cool, shame you can't read replies if you don't have a Twitter account.

E: thanks much!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 21, 2024