Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Audible VO struggling with New Zealand slang ends up creating a bunch of moments that are funny for very different reasons than intended. Like don't get me wrong, she does a great job and Kiwi slang is weird as poo poo, it's just very funny to hear "You egg!" said like it's Elizabeth Bennet admonishing Mr. Darcy. It's a playground insult, it's like an equivalent of "buttmunch" or something and I think the original intent was to make them sound childish, but the VO delivers it with such tremendous gravitas.

There is also the phrase "lose her [ba]nana" which the VO reads as "lose her nanna" and bless her, nobody deserves to have to deal with New Zealand English and she's doing her best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Chokkaz. With. Ghosts.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Aw *come* on.
Swear to god. I'm a literary critic and I interviewed her and asked about it, that's what she said. Not 100% sure whether she was taking the piss or not, but it's straight from the horse's mouth.

EDIT: I just realized how fake that sounds, but a ton of people on these forums know my real identity, if any of youse wanna speak up to confirm I'm not full of poo poo, feel free.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
(for the record I don't think any characters are direct analogues to any other characters in any ripoff way, influences are influences, and it's not really surprising that characters are composites of characters taken from other places, but also it's kinda fun to dig through those influences and figure out where characters came from creatively speaking)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Griddle and Harrow I'm honestly not sure about, but the RB = Sin/Herald = Sinspawn thing was the first moment of "what the gently caress maybe she's not joking" and I've spent the last six months going insane trying to figure out who is who.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

That tracks and is hilarious I love these books

Is there a published interview where you asked her these questions? I'm curious what else she said
That particular bit didn't make it off the cutting room floor, it wasn't really clear to me how serious/relevant it was. Re linking, I'm also sorta cagey about explicitly connecting my real name to my SA account right now (even though it's obvious), there's been some targeted harassment poo poo going on and I'm trying to keep my online footprint small. I am currently though, like right at this minute, trying to wrangle another interview for the Nona launch, and I'm gonna ask explicitly about FFX and make sure to include the answer, then flick it a few goons who post in this thread. Right now, for like ... the next ?2 months? I'm just gonna be a bit weird and cagey. Just checking who regularly posts in the thread though, cptn_dr knows me IRL and can verify I'm telling the truth. (also happy to just identify myself via DM to a mod or whatever)

The OTHER thing that came from that first interview was that I brought up 40k and she got this LOOK on her face, burst out laughing, then abruptly changed the subject.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh my god yes poo poo sucks. I just wanted to write books about wizards, I don't know why it needs to involve so much doxxing.

But re the interview it's been ages (article dropped late November 2019, I think the interview was a couple of weeks before that?) and there were technical issues that meant I never had a proper transcript so I'm just running from memory but I think I said Canaan House reminded me a ship from Battlefleet Gothic? And then I started saying "oh, that's Warhammer 40,000, if you know it" until I realised she was giving the look. HtN wasn't out at that point, if it was I'd have brought up The River and it's a point I want to hopefully hit next time. For some additional colour though, because this really stuck with me and I don't really see it discussed in TLT fandom spaces: we talked about the role ANZ humour played in it, and later I read Damon Reese's wonderful essay The Uncanny Valley of Culture and her words came back to me – I think a lot of readers don't understand the social role of the memery, how it's less about WELL, THAT HAPPENED style Hollywood quips and more of a warning sign that something is very wrong. Gideon is telling jokes not because she's a cool funtime prankster but because she's terrified and humour is the thing stopping her from having a nervous breakdown. This para in particular is like ... yeah that's Nav, if you're from this part of the world you recognise it instantly. Australian and NZ culture differ in a lot of ways but we definitely share this one.

quote:

Maddy, whose lack of attention to detail was the driving force behind Chay’s death, does not meaningfully engage with it. She simply refuses; the trauma and guilt weighs too heavily on her shoulders. Her relationship with Chay becomes defined by a ghastly breach of consent, and she is so deeply stuck in survival mode that she sees no way out than to maintain the status quo.

So instead, she resorts to gallows humour. This is a deeply Australian form of introversion — we process trauma alone in our own time, but when in company, we deflect, deflect, deflect.

This is something that’s on show in every scene of The Dressmaker: every person living in the remote town of Dungatar has their own traumas, and each of them absolutely refuses to even consider engaging with them, lest their fragile socially-constructed shells shatter into dust.
Nona has basically no memes in it and that feels very intentional. It's much more confrontational than the first two, it's not signalling that something is wrong so much as screaming it.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nav would absolutely be funny in more chill surroundings, she's a bigtime shitposter, it's more that a lot of the framing/timing of the jokes is like ... it'll be a very tense scene, and she'll crack a joke, and it doesn't break the tension. It's whistling steam from a pressure cooker. Kiwis joke when we're happy, but there's a very specific sort of humour that comes out when poo poo is really bad and nobody is willing to look it in the eye.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm now incredibly interesting in reading a Kiwi analysis of these books.
I am using all my self-control not to spoil Nona right now but get back to me about this in September because I HAVE THOUGHTS AND I REALLY WANNA YELL

COWS WATCH THE SUNSET?!? TAZ YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty much going to need to just leave this thread until I get and read the book in September, aren't I?
Nah that one line, specifically chosen to give as little as possible away and spoilered anyway, is as far as I'm gonna go. I will not talk about anything in Nona until after September from now on, Scout's honour. :toxx:

I just really want to, holy poo poo aaaa

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Devastated to learn I am also fourth house, I wanna hang out with Sex Pal dammit

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

To be true Sixth House you always have to reach for the writing materials first so you can record data.
I did! Writing materials were #1!

Then it was wall-to-wall 4th House things I wanted to be practical dammit.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
EDIT: I should not be revealing things until I have locked in a formal interview but there was briefly more FFX stuff here. If you saw it, be cool.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 16, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

man New Zealand sounds cool
yeah nah it's stink aye, we've got that oval office who wrote the dawnhounds and people take him seriously, you should see the bloody state

on a more serious note, I think both Taz and I write that veil of humour b/c we're roughly the same age and the NZ literary scene we grew up in was bleak. It was Owen Marshall and Kirsty Gunn. I remember seeing a movie in '04-'05 that ended with the protag laying her head down on the train tracks then slowly smiling as they began to vibrate. There was an Owen Marshall adaptation out just last year that's loving harrowing. We used to joke "it's not NZ lit until somebody drowns". I think there's a generation of writers who came up through that environment and also had a lot of trauma, and we couldn't keep reading poo poo that wallowed in it – there was a need, I think, to find meaning in those howls of pain, and often that involves kinda messy/vulnerable/human-ness, humour as veil and coping mechanism both, reminding us that we're human and stopping us from breaking down under relentless pressure and pain.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, I try to keep a level of separation between personal and professional identities because the industry is a snakepit right now (what happened to Taz hosed me up, I have nightmares about it) but too many people know who I am here to fully keep it apart – the book came out of a CC IRC thing, I shouted out a goon by username in the acknowledgements and like ten others by their names. I was particularly cagey/weird on here a couple of weeks back because it was around the launch and I was going mad with stress, not sleeping, constantly waiting for some horrible shoe to drop. Got kinda paranoid there for a bit, though in my defence some level of paranoia seems justified.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 30, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I think Muffin might be referring to this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/q58os2/sff_books_the_story_of_tamsyn_muir_her_fanfiction/

Edit: Here's a pretty in-depth interview with Muir about the incident and the fanfic in particular. (CW for discussion of csa)
https://threecrowsmagazine.com/tamsyn-muir-interview-there-is-a-lot-of-blood-on-my-dance-floor/
Yeah it's this + what happened to Isabel Falls causing the anxiety. I don't know why in particular it's queer folks in SF/F who get the worst of it, but there is a deeply puritanical sections of both that get off on acting like inquisitors and don't seem to really care whether their target has actually done anything wrong. Being a queer person in the public eye is hard enough right now without knowing part of your own "community" are looking for any excuse to ruin you.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 1, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

e: im not seeing anything new there that i havent seen before :(
I AM SUMMONED

CAM AND SEXPAL DO A F–

*gets immediately merced by 100 BoE snipers*

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

Has anyone spotted a way to pre-order Nona with black edges pages yet? I desperately need it to match the other two.
my guy I've got you don't worry

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still on the lookout for more books with that vibe.
if I may be so bold

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't know if SurreptitiousMuffin is still lurking this thread but I picked up The Dawnhounds recently, along with paperback copies of Gideon and Harrow. Here it is, on my bed!

My collection of Goon Books is slowly growing

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
people defending me have forgotten one thing: i'm an idiot

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
hnnnnnng I said I wouldn't spoil anything but okay okay it's forums moderator Sebmojo inside the body of forums moderator Sebmojo

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 25, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

That's the beauty of Taz's writing — even when something catches you completely off guard, you can see all the clues there in retrospect once you know.
oh god the bit where Richard Lowtax Kyanka returns from the River only for BoE to show up led by forums moderator sebmojo who unleashes a planet-shattering thanergy wave, just artistry, old mate is a master of planting and payoff

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Unless the Body is a heretofore unintroduced character, yes.
You know actual sort-of-spoiler here but I can tell you with 100% certainty it is not. You have all the pieces of that particular puzzle going into Nona, though the fun is in putting them together.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ashamed to say I only just caught this

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
without spoiling too much, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
EDIT: wait I've been seeing it in NZ bookstores but it's apparently not out internationally for a couple of days, holding fire on thoughts for now.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 10, 2022