Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Now I wonder if John Gaius was a bunker billionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Whoa, great analysis! Seems plausible to me, although it's been a while since I read Harrow at this point.

The great thing about this series is it's all "Hey check out these memes and lesbian necromancers" on the surface, hiding this magnificent work of craft with a strong historical and classical reference game too - an interwoven structure of strong yet flexible supporting narrative.

boning

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This continues to be utterly fascinating.

Have you considered that one or more Houses may reside on a minor planet?

I ask because Ianthe is Princess of Ida, and both Ida and Ianthe are minor planets in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/243_Ida
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98_Ianthe

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Beginning of "Chronicles of Riddick" full stop, is how I can't help but envision it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey, random question, does the Ninth House have any pubs...

... or is it all bierhalls? :dadjoke:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
they do carbonized bone dust in space, motherfuckers

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1377471058366902273?s=20

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They see dead people! Some of them don't even know they're dead!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Happy Landfill posted:

GIDEON: who even cares about having a baller origin story
GIDEON: we were just some chumps on a moon being melodramatic and in the process of gettin chumped by an omniscient creep
GIDEON: your outfit looks cool at least

Your username should be Not-Lying Cat

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strategic Tea posted:

You thought you were haunted by a scary necromancer, but it was old Mr Dadjokes all along!

Thank you, I just laughed so hard that some pieces fell off.

Also, Doge of the Ninth House c/d:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gimme Alecto. I need it.

With alacrity.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
we can't steal a copy, we might be caught in flagrante alecto

silvergoose posted:

Food 200 bones
Theorems 150 bones
Power 800 bones
Alecto 3,600 bones
Swords 150 bones
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

wow was not expecting a Kingkiller Chronicles mashup in this thread

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

silvergoose posted:

I can't tell if you're being ignorant or I am, having never and will never read name of the wind

it's a joke about how the protagonist is constantly counting his coins like litRPG experience points. in my defense i bought it in an airport bookstore and had no idea what to expect when i read it

edit:

https://twitter.com/raccuunart/status/1411912133365878789?s=20

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 6, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
ignorance wrt dril is bliss though

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DurianGray posted:

I hate that I know this, but if we're only at the mermaid AU stage, it's not that weird yet.

This is my first time. When should we start to worry? When the walls start growing teeth? When the tables grow hair on their legs? When the skeletal servitors shamble in just too spritely a fashion?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, we haven't hit "Lorax fandom" territory yet, so we're not quite in fandom hell yet.

I dunno. This is already a thorax fandom.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Does that involve Tamsyn Muir or the Locked Tomb somehow, or did you mean to post that in the SF thread?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I really hope at some point in the third book somebody makes a "Nona yo business" joke

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
it's puns and meme jokes OP

they killed the Ten Billion

(try the veal)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
how many lyctors DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i can't read because i'm so tired

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Big enough that if Gideon were to take the throne, she'd be known as Princeps Biceps

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Even in youth her power was great, I guess? All hail the Nerdlord Prime.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

disposablewords posted:

One flesh, one bone, one true religion,
One voice, one hope, one real decision,
Give me one light, yeah,
Give me one hope, hey,
Just give me
(mumblemumblesomething)

Jod: "Gimme fried chicken."

oh my god lol

my same thought

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's basically made for disaffected kids who grew up on Harry Potter, which is not me, and also disaffected kids who grew up hating Harry Potter and enjoy a good roast of the magical prep school teen genre, which is definitely me

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

If the protagonists were smarter Muir would have to create an even more tangled reason to avoid explaining basic setting facts.

Getting told "Show, don't tell" too much as a child has an effect on one

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's not like Gideon would pay attention, anyway.

:hmmyes:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hedningen posted:

My wife woke up around 2AM last night and had to inform me via text (despite being in the same bed) that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel clearly leads supports the existence of the Necromancer Queen Catherine Spaniel before returning to a rather deep sleep.

When I asked about it the next morning, she let me know that the combination of the above forms a Licker, and that is pretty much an encapsulation of the stupid jokes this series have enabled in our house.

You sound like the sort of household I would want to meet for brunch and talk about the latest stupid Locked Tomb jokes with tbh

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
gief buk NYAO plz kthx bai

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Why do we have to be fussy about "release dates" why can't we just have the book it's done I want book give book NYAO plz

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i am a jealous bag of bones rn

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

I am hoist upon my own petard because I have no one to share my Nona chat with.

Oooh, I have a meme for this!

For me, it is Tuesday.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

harrow is a brenda

that means when she captures someone they're the prisoner of brenda

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speculation from having just read Day 1:

John was, and still is, trying to save Earth. He's also still incredibly angry at the rich who escaped instead of trying to save the planet which is why he's doing all the imperialism against the non-Imperial worlds.

I'm not at Day 1 yet but that's exactly where I think this is going already, he's still trying to punish people who have been dead (and died well outside his reach) millenia ago.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
well that was a trip and a half, i have no idea where to begin but i'll miss nona. is paul's name a dune reference? he the kwisatz lyctorhack?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Entropic posted:

Exceedingly minor Nona spoiler:

I had to look up pikelets thinking it was some invented word but it's just Australian for pancakes.

suddenly imagining Nine Houses breakfast cereal in the shape of tiny medieval weapons

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

disposablewords posted:

That stuff sucks, though, just get the bulk bag full of bone marshmallow bits.

The Locked Tomb Trilogy: Bulk Bag Full Of Bone

anyway, the best choice for a balanced breakfast is cheerioss. (high in calcium!!!)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
so if paul gets laid in the next book does their nickname become SexPaul

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
the idea that you can load people on spaceships faster than they get born is loving ludicrous, a complete nonstarter. the idea that you could build a fleet to carry ten billion humans at all is completely bullshit on the face of it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

Birthrate isn't the tough part of it, its only 275,000 a day, and would quickly fall as you got to work, especially starting with the young. You'd have to be bottling 5,000,000 a day into i-c-weiners to finish in about 7 years, which is stupid but under the absolute grip of necrojod i'm sure we could have done it.

Too bad rich people would rather watch the world burn

Under the grip of necrojod yes, but they were trying to do it without magical powers when they got the magical powers. My point was more that anyone sensible, or aware of the energy required to launch payloads of that size to orbit on the regular, would have realized there was no way the trillionaires weren't conning the world into building them an escape vehicle right from the start.

I dunno, I can accept miraculous flesh transmutation, but man, saving an entire human population by launching it into space on rockets just sounds like fantasy ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

there is mention of a space elevator.
The way the cryopods are described it seems like a cheap and easy process, just hadn't made them 100% perfect yet. I don't think NZ would have been the only facility cranking out popsicles once they improved the success rate.
They started loving with the funding and all that 3/4 of the way through to build the trillionaire star-yacht

i thought the space elevator was mentioned only in the Fun Crew scenes 10,000 years later but i'm prepared to be wrong. i do hope millenials live to see a space elevator, but i haz a doubt