Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I read the two in three days. They were very good. I should sleep.

I liked that Gideon somehow got the sunglasses from Problem Sleuth and Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reading up on the thread, I don't think Harrow and Gideon are terrible for each other. The only time they get close to starting to heal from their incredibly lovely childhood and lives is when they finally start being honest with each other.,

silvergoose posted:

Just in case you weren't aware, the author got her start writing Homestuck fanfic :p

Oh I read her fanfics before. I'd be ashamed to admit it but I'm already a goon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean the AU chapters in Harrow were amazing and very much fan-fodder, it's amazing.

Now, Dave and Gideon are different enough that they're different characters, but they would instantly vibe and be bros.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I never read/participated in Homestuck, so I can only go off of what my friend who used to be a hardcore Homestuck has told me, and from what she's said, Dave Strider was the main inspiration for Gideon Nav. What that means I don't really know.

"DAVE: thats the spooky thing about penis ouija you can never be sure who did the dicks

DAVE: was it you or me or maybe a ghoooost??? "

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Which lands us in the wonderful world of Ianthe (Vriska).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Harrow is Karkat with a thesaurus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And then the Undertaker shows up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

That's a completely accurate reading of Harrow, though.

It owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gimme Alecto. I need it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

funkymonks posted:

Need a thread title update.

I am both happy for an extra book and disappointed to wait another year for a conclusion.

Same.

I'm so hype.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait what's the extra stuff? I got the Gideon paperback but the Harrow hardcover.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Entropic posted:

HtN paperback extras:

https://imgur.com/a/bTGprJJ

It’s Judith Deuteros’ notes from between the first two books.

Oooh, good poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I kept imagining John as John from Homestuck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

my 6yo to my 3yo, talking about moving a bunch of magnet tiles around

"while you get into pajamas, I'll continue The Work"

and all I could think of is Harrow's goddamn letter

You're raising mighty Alchemists.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Where can I preorder? I waaaaaaaaant it!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Might as well do a Rollerball AU. Or Motorball from Alita. Or the game from Justice's New Lands music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Re-read Gideon and it was still great. Re-reading Harrow and I'm loving it mroe this time around. First time I read too fast, especially ther Canaan parts since I thought I knew the twist (and I kinda did but kinda didn't) and didn't really appreciate them.

Everyone posted:

Well, there's always... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9mlqbG5CU

Yes. I am an awful person who deserves to be punished.

Then so am I cause I laughed out loud.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

It's now 2022. Countdown to Nona time

I need more Gideon or Gideon-lke content to last until I get my pre-ordered copy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

The Ninth House is set in and around the modern 21st century Yale campus. The kicker is that the various secret societies (Skull and Bones, etc.) can do actual magic. Alex Sterns, after displaying a rare magical gift, has been recruited by the groups that attempts to police the societies to make sure they don't get too crazy.

I know I'm not really selling it well, but I love the Alex Sterns character, who isn't even a little bit of a "Mary Sue snowflake" or whatever.

Lol I just ordered a copy cause why not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

Try not to burn through it too quickly. It's another one kind of like Muir's series which will make you go "God-loving-Dammit when will the next in the series drop?!" But yeah, The Ninth House is some gooood book heroin.

My copy arrived, didn't realize I'd ordered the hardback. Hope it's good!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The book is good enough that I read 140 pages in one day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

You might want to pace yourself a little. There's at best a hope that Bardugo might release a sequel in 2022, but it's not a very large hope.

Heh, same as it ever was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

I know this isn't really the thread for it, but I'd love it if you guys reading The Ninth House would post your impressions/comments about in spoiler space. I've been wanting other people to geek out with over this book for a while now.

Spoiler space?

Finished the book already. It's really good! Didn't get into my brain the way Gideon did, but few things ever did lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, Alex has had a hard life. She's a pretty great main character.

In a way, I feel like this a more honest Harry Potter. The british school system Rowlings idolized was built to turn kids into sociopaths for the Empire, especially the kind of posh institutions that served as inspirations for Hogwarts. Meanwhile this book realizes Yale is a place steeped in evil, with none of the societies really looking good at the end of the book. I appreciated the joke about Skulls and Bones having Geronimo's skull.

Ultimately, the least believable thing in the book isn't the magic but the existence of a good cop.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If you've survived Homestuck (like Muir did), second-person narration won't phaze you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give us Nona soon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm surprised there isn't a fanfic/fanventure of the Locked Tomb crew playing Sburb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

why do you think it's taking so long to get Nona out

Look, if someone uses the sentence "Mobius Double-Reacharound" to describe the game of body musical chairs...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gideon could be Knight of Time, she already got the sunglasses.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DreamingofRoses posted:

See, this didn’t spoil me because I’ve listened to so many audiobooks in series like Stephen Briggs reading all of PTerry’s stuff. I thought that was just the normal “flat” voice of the narrator, which is why it was the primary voice in Gideon’s book. I wasn’t blindsided when the reveal was made, but not from the voice, I think the penny dropped for me after the meeting with Sextus in the River

Yeah that's where I got it too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish Muir would post her AU on AO3 under a pseudonym. I wanna read what she wrote!

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

i just binged the hell out of GtN and HtN and my big takeaway is this is just warhammer 40k but with space lesbians instead of space marines

So, better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Locked Tomb unfortunately does not have a Mechanicus though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Necromancer/Cavalier dynamic something Muir had originally come up with for a homestuck fanfic she wrote?

https://archiveofourown.org/works/335176/chapters/541856

I am evil.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gideon isn't quite Dave, but they'd get along super well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm guessing I should get around to reading Umineko at some point.

I got it on steam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I read The Dawhounds cause Tamzyn recommended it and that was a pretty good waiting for Nona book.

Except now I also have to wait for that book’s sequel. gently caress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That's how they get you. You get addicted to that particular flavor of humor thinly coating a primal, human scream of sorrow and longing, and then you end up with a whole bookshelf full of New Zealand authors.

... Also if anything bad happens to Wajet in book two I will probably cry.

For me it’s the cat. Protect that cat.

…so what other New Zealander novels are good? Nona still isn’t out, I gotta cope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

yeah nah it's stink aye, we've got that oval office who wrote the dawnhounds and people take him seriously, you should see the bloody state

on a more serious note, I think both Taz and I write that veil of humour b/c we're roughly the same age and the NZ literary scene we grew up in was bleak. It was Owen Marshall and Kirsty Gunn. I remember seeing a movie in '04-'05 that ended with the protag laying her head down on the train tracks then slowly smiling as they began to vibrate. There was an Owen Marshall adaptation out just last year that's loving harrowing. We used to joke "it's not NZ lit until somebody drowns". I think there's a generation of writers who came up through that environment and also had a lot of trauma, and we couldn't keep reading poo poo that wallowed in it – there was a need, I think, to find meaning in those howls of pain, and often that involves kinda messy/vulnerable/human-ness, humour as veil and coping mechanism both, reminding us that we're human and stopping us from breaking down under relentless pressure and pain.

It’s the old adage: you laugh or you cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait, are you actually the author!?