Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

As a big fan of Team Sixth House, this sketch of Palamedes and Camilla is one of my favorites pieces of GtN fanart:

(via @dawndundundun on twitter)

Harrow Spoilers... I was so happy not only that Gideon was not gone forever but that Palamedes was still around -- he did say Camilla would know what to do and he clearly had a plan in hand to minimize the inconvenience of death. I suppose given that half the cast were necromancers should have been a clue that death might be less permanent than usual. Also so very Palamedes that stuck in a tiny bubble universe with a bad historical romance as his only entertainment he's composing a sequel using a pencil stub and wallpaper...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

by @dawndundundun on birdsite

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's not Locked Tomb, but it is a new novella from Tamsyn Muir... Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower (audiobook narrated by Moira Quirk), is more of a fantasy setting with an attitude, and feels a little like the sort of thing Ursula Vernon writes. I'm enjoying it, about 1/3 of the way through a short read.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DurianGray posted:

I just have the hardcovers right now, but I've got the black-edged Gideon and white-edged Harrow and I'm tempted to find a black-edged Harrow (I assume they did it for Harrow too?) just for the aesthetic. Knowing there's extra stuff in the paperbacks/ebooks makes this even more complicated.

I pre-ordered a hardcover of Harrow because I wanted black edges to match my Gideon hardcover and was bummed to get just plain paper.

I also own ebook copies (convenient to read), and audio book (Moira Quirke's narration is amazing).

Gideon has sort of been a comfort food book during plague times...

Excited for Even More Locked Tomb Mayhem even if it does, sadly, mean more waiting.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Gideon end of book extras...
(not present in my original hardcover or the ebook at release, but is in the ebook now):

Glossary
Definitions for Necromancer, Cavalier, Thanergy, Thalergy, Nine House, Dominicus, Flesh Magic, Bone Magic, Spirit Magic, The Locked Tomb, Lyctors

A Sermon on Cavaliers and Necromancers
taken from the collected works of M. Bias

Cohort Intelligence Files
Intelligence Report assembled on the advent of the Lyctor Pilgrimage by Captain J. Deuteros
A paragraph or two on the various Lyctoral candidates and their Cavaliers

A Little Explanation of Naming Systems
Pronunciation and author's notes on names

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The cover artist is selling a limited run of first edition Nona cover prints and second edition Gideon and Harrow cover prints if you're into that sort of thing:
https://www.tommyarnoldart.com/purchase

Also, if you happened to purchase the first edition Gideon and Harrow prints and want matching serial numbers on your Nona print, he asks that you reply to your receipt with the number you had on your previous prints:
https://twitter.com/TommyArnoldArt/status/1486747800838807552

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

So, we now know....
- Nona is the child in the epilogue of Harrow (per Tamsyn in the Vox interview)
- Nona is featured on the cover of Nona the Ninth
- Nona's hair is black and eyes are bright gold (per the cover artist)
- The six legged dog's name is Noodle (per Tamsyn's editor and Tor twitter)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

I hadn't thought particularly FF10, but I've always described the sort of sprawling mishmash of environments, magic, technology, genres, etc in GtN/HtN as feeling a lot like a JRPG.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Moira Quirk's reading Nona, and the pre-order's up on Audible.

This brings me much happiness.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Loel posted:

Just read both books for the first time this week, super excited to see where this one goes.

On one hand I am glad I read Gideon the week it was published (and have re-read it several times since)...

On the other hand I am extremely jealous of those of you who didn't have to wait years for Harrow and then Nona...

(finishing up a Harrow re-read at the moment)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

One thing to keep in mind about Gideon is that as of the end of HtN she feels rejected / abandoned by Harrow:

HtN posted:

I think the main thing I should have said was, You sawed open your skull rather than be beholden to someone. You turned your brain into soup to escape anything less than 100 percent freedom. You put me in a box and buried me rather than give up your own goddamned agenda.

Harrowhark, I gave you my whole life and you didn’t even want it.

Since then she's had six months or so to hang out with Jod (wow she has family now) and Ianthe (a bad influence in the best of cases) and continue to stew while under their influence. She's definitely still got a bunch of classic (if angrier) Gideon attitude and banter tossing around 'Sex Pal' and offering 'U Lap' and 'Aulp' for 'Paul', which makes me believe she's not just a recreation or simulation. And she clearly still is very concerned with Harrow:

NtN posted:

Kiriona said, “Where is she?”
Nona didn’t know what to say. The corpse prince urged—
“Come on. Where’d she go? Where is she?”
“I don’t know who you’re talking about,” said Nona miserably.
“Listen, she can be in hell for all I care, I won’t get mad,” said Kiriona. “She can be at the bottom of the sea or at the bottom of space. I just need to know—where.”
When Nona didn’t answer, the corpse prince said—
“Okay. Different question. Do you love her?”

That said, I'm not sure she's entirely autonomous and I'm very suspicious of the friendship bracelets, which seem incredibly un-Gideon and smell of Ianthe awfulness to me...

I'm very glad Nona grew from Act I to a whole book -- it was great spending a bunch of time outside the Nine Houses, hanging out with Nona and her family and friends and dogs, and watching BOE's hyper-compartmentalized-to-the-point-of-nearly-being-self-defeating resistance cells, if only for the mayhem that created the worst day of school ever. Now settling in for the long wait until I get to see what utter madness is in store for us in AtN.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Everyone posted:

I kind of wish they'd taken the kids or at least Hot Sauce with them.

I'm glad that Nona and Hot Sauce were able to part on good terms (so very Nona to both forgive Hot Sauce for shooting Nona in the head *and* feel bad about it), but I think the anti-Zombie indoctrination combined with the crew traveling back into a (different sort of) war zone, makes trying to pull the kids out out impractical.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Speaking of overthinking... on one hand "The Kindly Prince" is a title used to refer to John (quite a bit in Harrow the Ninth, less so in the other books), and the punctuation pretty clearly indicates it's a descriptor of "The King Undying", on the other hand it seems somewhat unlikely that it is an accident or coincidence that the very first page of Gideon the Ninth begins (emphasis mine):

GtN posted:

IN THE MYRIADIC YEAR OF OUR LORD—the ten thousandth year of the King Undying, the kindly Prince of Death!—Gideon Nav packed her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and she escaped from the House of the Ninth.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

AcidCat posted:

So was Nona actually in some kind of communication with the resurrection beast above the planet - and was that beast speaking to her through the captain when they were on the trucks at the end? Or did I misinterpret that.

DreamingofRoses posted:

It specifically stopped dropping Heralds when she told it to stop being weird so I’m going with ‘yes’
I think more than that, I'm pretty sure it *started* dropping Heralds after she imitated the Captain...

NtN Ch23 posted:

The fist tightened. No would not do; Yes was worse; Cam had told her to pretend to be the Captain.
Nona decided to pretend to be the Captain, and opened her mouth, and screamed like the Captain had screamed.
She had never been good at coming up with conversations. Nona simply made her mouth go as the Captain’s had gone—
she could remember the movement, it was easy—and she screamed, “Help! Help! Help!” for want of anything better to say.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation. Moira Quirk is a delight. I especially love her The Horrible Teens.

She is so good. I like using this little clip from pretty late in Gideon to pitch the audiobooks to folks looking to re-read at some point...

"Harrow says I'm a weenie over Dulcinea"

https://vocaroo.com/1aSBPapzdINl

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

"Cam," Palamedes said. "Go loud."

I am an enormous fan of Cam & Pal.

Gideon's first encounter with them is absolutely spectacular and further interactions only get better.

https://twitter.com/dawndundundun/status/1182582177302642689

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Loki Kunti posted:

I've "read" the first two books first as audiobooks (in English as a non-native speaker), and I had the feeling I had a stroke when starting HtN relatively shortly after GtN. It was a real uncomfortable feeling first as what I was hearing was not aligning with what I was remembering from GtN. I have never felt in such a way for more than a second or two (for example, when you wake up from a dream and have to come to terms with reality again) but here, it took a comparatively long time...

Even reading it in regular book form it was extremely disorienting to me.

Did I misremember this? Wait, *that* didn't happen! What?! Was Gideon an unreliable narrator (I mean willfully, rather than just highly distractable?)

I can can certainly see why some people *really* dislike the experience, but I felt like it was worth it for when things all snap together and it accelerates into the back half (third?) of the book.

GtN is a comfort food book for me, I just massively enjoy reading / listening to it and have done so a number of times. HtN is good, in a very different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The keys and key-ring are a nice touch that I don't think I've seen before in other cosplay pictures or fanart.