Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it seemed like from the stock OS that they used integer scaling x2 and then put a fake GBA SP bezel around it. i wouldn't be surprised if that was still, at the end of the day, around the same size as the original SP's screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
2x integer was the tiny version. Regular is stretched 2.7x to fit, with what sounded like some kind of smoothing shader.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think Ayaneo is releasing prototype production runs in hopes some big money operation will be like "heeeeey we got this giant pile of money can you give us a sweet handheld"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rinkles posted:

2x integer was the tiny version. Regular is stretched 2.7x to fit, with what sounded like some kind of smoothing shader.
I find scaling to full width like that is fine with a shader like Grid3x or LCD3x or whatever and bilinear filtering. I like seeing the fake pixels as if it's an actual handheld screen (as long as they're even).
On other systems I just do the sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale shader and it looks perfect to me (Mega Man X's even pixel healthbar is the easy test).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyduck posted:

https://github.com/ROCKNIX/distribution/releases/tag/20240517

ROCKNIX now supports the RG-ARC!

edit: Caveat seems to be you'll have to format your Android partition on the ARC-D. Still probably worth it, gonna mess around later. Also I'll see if they fixed the boot issue on the 353P
Update: I can't get this to boot on either device. It just boots to Android each time. There's gotta be something I'm completely missing here

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

repiv posted:

ayaneo is making a fast gameboy

Pretty happy for a handheld to finally be able to play Khgathort Lh tbh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1791741540525826523

The Pocket Micro looks pretty slick, doubt I'll buy one but hey.

Same with whatever the gently caress this is.

https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1791746632775872671

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not the Messiah posted:

Pretty happy for a handheld to finally be able to play Khgathort Lh tbh

In a presentation full of high production video, including a lot paid models, that stood out

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It’s weird (read: funny and not a big deal) that there are small, clear things that are either “wrong” or done in such uniquely interesting ways. Like in the review, he calls it integer scaling when talking about 2.7 and 3.3x scaling. It’s not horrible or something that ruins the video; I just think it’s kinda funny when the whole point of integer scaling is for it to scale to a whole number, an integer.

Then the closing of the lid to record the sound was funny just because his garage (maybe?) had such a loud echo that each one sounds like it’s been bass boosted compared to what an SP normally sounds like.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not going to google Khgathort Lh. Sound dangerous, just tell me what it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not going to google Khgathort Lh. Sound dangerous, just tell me what it is.

if you're not joking, it's an ai generated image

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

here's their fancy keynote presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlG27wRv5M

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress the haters, Khgathort Lh looks fun as hell.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Overall it looks like an interesting device and a lot of these handhelds look janky, like the tiny horizontal anbernic device that looks weird and and anemic and honestly like the failed Ripley clone of another, more thoughtfully designed handheld

Touchpad seems like an interesting addition and I'm curious about the shoulder buttons.

If this ends up being the same price as an analogue pocket I would choose it over the analogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

shyduck posted:

Update: I can't get this to boot on either device. It just boots to Android each time. There's gotta be something I'm completely missing here
Yeah, I can't get it to install on mine either, it just boots into GammaOS. Maybe it needs to be on stock firmware for some reason?